Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Grand Strategy Codex EU4 MP game - new game thread

Krash

Arcane
Sundays 20-24 UTC+1 says the OP.

EDIT: Would be nice to have a list of players and their affiliated nation in the OP once this gets going.

And I ran testgame yesterday and Russia is a grotesquely overpowered as I remembered. Good fun!

Last edited:

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
There are two super powers right now and they are Russia and Ottomans. Then there is HREAustria and maybe France.

Krash

Arcane
P. much, I think you can set the AI not to do stupid things in the settings. I won't make unfair moves if you're not there to defend yourself.

Also, hoping for more wars and conflicts this time, rather than just consolidation. Otherwise Ottos will pay Europa a visit

Reject_666_6

Arcane
I'm having trouble logging into steam from my dad's comp. The steam guard thing just will not accept any security code.

Edit: Well I guess I can't make it, blame Gaben.

Last edited:

Sranchammer

Arcane
Vatnik
tf4bDjV.jpg

you-blew-it-up.jpg

Krash

Arcane
Good at least you're taking it pretty well. I've played with some people before in MP who flip the fuck out whenever the slightest setback happens.

For those interested, this is approx how it went down:

I was contacted by Sranchammer who felt boxed in by the alliance of Poland, France and England. He thought an alliance between Australians and Worst Turk was in our interest, and that we should attack Poland preemptively. I had some interest in south Poland since it would allow me to connect my lands to my eventual vassal Crimea, so I joined in.

When war started I had no real idea of what to do (I think we should have planned our attack more carefully) so I sieged Bessarabia. I was hoping Poland would go down there and then my second stack hidden in Hungary would pounce. But no Poland showed up so I left some mercs and moved upwards. Meanwhile France and England were all over the low countries where burgundy had just collapsed and left half of the land to France and the other to Austria. Austria went to cover the western front which went ok I think? I was far too busy to pay attention.

At some point there was a huge battle in Austria where I managed to reinforce Sranchammer's forces and we scored a big victory. Unfortunately the defeated enemies got away. There was at least two big battles in Poland too where I thrashed Lithuanians poles and french alike. I was hemmoraging manpower and my WE was rising fast, so I had to retreat, though undefeated on the field. Still, Poland was losing more provinces and i thought he was going to bow out at any moment. England also gave up around this time, without much fighting (white peace).

Now I'm not sure when but at some point poland offered me bessarabia + 1 more province and I accepted, which was really dumb, because he was war leader which I'd forgotten, and this meant I was now out of the war and Austria was alone vs the hordes of potatos and frogs. Sranchammer who was moving for Paris had to retreat, but didnt go all the way home and instead got caught on plains by french troops. And we know french troops are pretty mean. This ended with Scranchammer's forces wiped.

The rest of the story is better told by someone else, but let's just say it didn't end well. I did try to help, but it was too little too late.

It's apparent to me now that my Ottoman war machinery's just wasn't up to speed. The attrition and battle losses had me up at about well over 8 war exhaustion, which is not nice when combined with wrong culture, wrong religion provinces (for comparison I think france had no RR at home?). Looking at the save I had like 60% rr per month (!) for religious rebels (I think). So it might have looked like I was winning battles, but the hurt was piling on. Also, I've once again been reminded by the game why mercs are so lovely; MP was gone in a few clashes, then they did the heavy lifting.

Last edited:

Sranchammer

Arcane
Vatnik
I knew I was in deep shit when I inherited Burgundy a month into the war. I was banking on fighting in the mountains but couldn't afford France and Britain to occupy my new lands without a battle.

And yeah, the war wasn't planned well at all.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Yes time to explain how it is: My mini AAR part 2: Poland - First to Fight!

Since this time I am playing Poland and not Hungary I had a lot more power to do stuff this session instead of grabbing one or two provinces and praying no coalition forms against me. Right off the bat I did the usual PUing Lithuania, the less usual joining the HRE and allying with Austria. I kinda thought that me and Austria could go a long way together. I was proven very wrong but on that later.

First war was cutting down TO to size so I could vassalize it. Went easy as expected with me taking Neumark and Chelmno, no real issues there. Then the bloody TO annexed Pommerania and I couldnt vassalize them in one war. I took Silesia off Bohemia too and annexed Mazovia, that all gave me a nice base for future. Forced TO to release Pommerania and annexed it soon after myself rounding my western border and placing it in the current spot for Poland. Finally I went for vassalization of TO once my mission to do so fired for a second time (before that I expected to have to annex them and took Warmia off them since they were allied to Bohemia). I was winning that war when Austria joined coalition against me and declared war.

Now we need to go back in time a bit and have a look at European politics. Austria wasnt exactly thrilled once I joined the HRE, more like grumpy. Then once I was invading Bohemia he warned me not to go further than Silesia, then dissolved our alliance and warned me using the game mechanics even when I stopped at Silesia. Not surprisingly I took that for a declaration of hostile intention against me and acted accordingly. I allied with France and England and had talks going with Ottomans about a future inevitable war with HREAustria. As much as he I knew that it will end in bloodshed at one point, better be prepared then.

France more or less consolidated its western part (agreement with England about the end of HYW) and then went for Burgundy. Castille felt threatened about France allying Aragon and England allying Portugal so it joined the anti French coalition and sided with Burgundy. Big mistake. Burgundian (AI) Castille alliance got squashed very hard, Castille lost all troops manpower and most of the money. Since then Castille was a non factor constantly in rebellion and chaos. France did dissolve its alliance with Aragon and didnt enforce tough terms, but since Castillian king was rather shitty it went downhill fast.

In other parts of Europe Austria was eating at Venice and southern German minors. Then Denmark wanted a piece of action and invaded Hansa, only to be quickly reminded that in fact HRE wont allow this to fly. This was our second player versus player war with Scandinavian forces quickly getting destroyed, before anyone could even intervene. Of course that didnt get Denmark to be friendly with Austria and HRE lost another potential ally.

Now we are back to the point when Im at war with TO and its allies while Austria and Ottomans declare war on me. I was caught totally unprepared, didnt expect to have to fight two most powerful nations so soon and for so little reason. My manpower and armies depleted I merely withdrew north while France and England quickly assaulted Netherlands which Austria has inherited from Burgundy literally month in the war. Fortunately I managhed to peace out TO for its vassalization and I could focus on enemy troops flowing deeply into my lands. France beat back Austrian armies from the Low Lands and we chased them into Austria proper in a beautiful pincer movement. We caught them in hills in Ostmark and when it seemed like the war ends right there Ottomans reinforced Austria and beat us back. There were two more lost battles in Poland but we suffered casualties more equally in there. My southern border besieged I resorted to hit and run tactics while France battled with renewed Austrian assault on Netherlands and marching armies on Paris. I would like to disclose that Paris itself wasnt threatened and France managed to raise a significant 40k army, mainly mercenaries but the future looked grim. England peaced out of the war. And then Ottomans did too, I had to pay them Moldova. And suddenly Austrians got repelled by the new French armies and we chased down and exterminated in Low Lands. At the same time I gathered what I got (about 30k troops, mainly from vassals and mercenaries) and invaded Austria proper carpet sieging its territory. The war was won, Austria was defeated it just didnt want to accept that and I began formulating a peace offer. I offered the return of Venetian cores and one province to Naples, a peace offer worth 59%. They refused.

Then Ottomans broke our peace treaty and took a 5 stab hit while marching on my armies in Austria - pure madness if you ask me. They attacked in Karnten, in mountains, and were decisively beaten back retreating back into Balkans. Didnt see a single Ottoman army again in this war as even their capital was at 8% revolt risk. And then we had the final act of this war where Austria offered me some peace I didnt really read, but hey, it seemed they wanted to give Venice its provinces, so I accepted. Lo and behold they agreed to release Burgundy, cede me 3 provinces (which I promptly released as vassals) and give back most of Venetian lands. Austria has indeed imposed on itself harsh terms, more than we would ask for. I got nothing and lost Moldova too out of the entire ordeal.

As for future I hope to repair relations broken by war and rebuild after this since Im broke, without army and manpower. Looks like peace is ahead of us at least for 20 years.

No revolt risk here no, having a completely religiously and culturally homogeneous state really helps with that, my deep manpower reserves helps as well +20% from traditions and another +25% from national conscripts.

Any way France, a potential superpower but with a fairly vulnerable start you could say. I began with many of my key provinces held by England, naturally a source for conflict, then there is Burgundy who would like nothing more than some French clay, and lets not forget Castile which if it forms Spain has really only one direction to expand. Diplomatically all my relations are already tied down to my many vassal states so getting allies of my own early was certainly more costly as well.
The war with England went well and with my many vassals he was badly outnumbered in the field, since a French victory was clear he offered me the Normandy area in exchange for peace very quickly. In order to prevent future conflict in the area I offered a mutually beneficial deal, instead of fighting over the remaining French provinces that he held I would purchase them of him at a reasonable rate. With that my position was much more secure, while England was no friend at this point, neither was it an enemy.

For the next part of my plan I allied Aragon, thus preventing Castile taking it and forming Spain. Naturally Castile was less than thrilled by this and decided to ally Burgundy, which was both powerful and my main opportunity of possible expansion. How to be able to take on both Burgundy and Castile at the same time? My solution to this problem was to wait until Burgundy was exhausted from a previous war with many HRE states as well as strike a pact with England my former enemy, we would ally and divide Burgundy between us. With this done I declared war and the combined forces of England and France completely crushed Burgundy leaving only a few minor state armies and Castile. Needless to say it was a rather one sided war and both France and England made territorial gains. With this victory I was in the position to impose a devastating peace on Castile, but decided not to. Instead I would even offer him something of benefit, I would cease to protect Aragon. He was initially suspicious of my intentions but accepted, following which our relations greatly improved, perhaps not friendly but at least no longer hostile.

Then of course there was the whole England France Poland vs Austria Ottomans deal, but I will leave that to the others.

kris

Arcane
In other parts of Europe Austria was eating at Venice and southern German minors. Then Denmark wanted a piece of action and invaded Hansa, only to be quickly reminded that in fact HRE wont allow this to fly. This was our second player versus player war with Scandinavian forces quickly getting destroyed, before anyone could even intervene. Of course that didnt get Denmark to be friendly with Austria and HRE lost another potential ally.

Actually it was another HRE nation and my purpose was just to get the prestige to finish my mission. Somehow I was oblivious to the fact that Austria joined the war and was caught by surprise seeing their armies. Despite me losing my army there and constantly being on low manpower I sit in a good position now after having Norway integrated. This problem prevailed as the big war came which meant I couldn't join the fighting and instead just took a pounce at Hansa to get a rich province after the Austrian army was no more. I do spot future conflicts with Poland and Moscowny (if we have back a player for them). Maybe even England since I have the second strongest navy now and sit on islands just outside England. They might become greedy ;)

Krash

Arcane
Well yeah you're probably going to end up in trade conflict over baltics/england trade node. That will be interesting.

Still a little sad about Austria, the way they are now it will be easy for France to munch on HRE. Hopefully Austria can reconsolidate next session and come back in force. The reenterance of Muscovy will also be a likely game changer.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom