Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Codex Blood Bowl League - The Vote

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Once upon a time, a score of (okay, a few) manly (okay, nerdy) codexers met to compete in a tactical and skill-based (okay, lulzy and random) game called Blood Bowl. This league went down in the anals of the Codex as a most prestigious thing - winners even got a tag on the forums!

Too long has the CBBL been dormant. Now, in the foot-steps of the great Mantiis, presumably a big faggot, who started the first league, it shall arise anew and spawn a new, brilliant era of Blood Bowl games in fair Codexia.

This thread is for the purposes of voting on how that league should look. You don't sign up yet - you just vote. There is no "foum poll" as such - you post your vote. This to avoid troll votes (I know there's a slim chance of that this being The Codex, but just to be safe).

There are two things you should vote on:

Vote A: What client should the league be? Vote Cyanide (Blood Bowl Legendary Edition) or FUMBBL. The first has goblins implemented properly and pass block, as well as purty grafixx, the second is more stable, easier reconnect and better rules implementation. I personally don't care.

Vote B: What TV range should be allowed? New teams or otherwise? There are a lot of prestigious teams in CBBLs history which I'm sure many would be happy to see again. Also we've done the new teams thing to death. But it's up to you, dear voters.

I will tally the votes in a few days. Also: I do not have the time to admin this. So if anyone wants to, step up! Once the vote is tallied, the admin takes over from there.

Pinging old BB-farts and other interested parties: Garm, desocupado, hoverdog, TripJack, Captain Shrek, Erzherzog, scratchmonkey, Jaedar, Damned Registrations

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
DIS-FUCKING-CLAIMER: A BLOOD BOWL LEAGUE IS A SERIOUS TIME INVESTMENT. A MINIMUM OF ONE GAME PER WEEK, AND BEFORE YOUR GAME IS DONE, NO ONE CAN MOVE ON. THE ADMIN WILL GIVE YOU A LOSS IF YOU FAIL TO PLAY THE MATCH IN A WEEK. DO NOT SIGN UP IF THERE IS A CHANCE YOU MIGHT DROP OUT. IT WILL FUCK UP THE LEAGUE FOR THE REST.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
My own vote:

A: Cyanide, but I don't really have strong feelings either way.

B: Teams of higher TV are allowed if the admin judges it OK, all old CBBL teams are allowed.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
A: FUMBBL It's just better for actually playing matches, much as I miss the pretty rats. It's also free.

B: I'm fine with old teams, as long as they aren't too OP. Actually fuck that, even if they are it'll just invite chances for some serious dick moves regarding fouling and attempting murder. Which people playing OP teams totally deserve anyways. I'm fine with any teams that aren't cheated into existence.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
I'm fine with old teams, as long as they aren't too OP. Actually fuck that, even if they are it'll just invite chances for some serious dick moves regarding fouling and attempting murder. Which people playing OP teams totally deserve anyways.

This is my line of thought too. I'd like to play Dead Money 'cause they never actually won a league, and they're probably my favourite team evar, but they're a pretty strong team. So of course I accept in the process that every motherfucker out there will gunnin' for the star player. Just the way it is. Like when everybody fuckin' went straight for Exmit's orcs throat in every single game because he had just won a league with dwarves and then chose orcs :lol:

Garm

Learned
A: Cyanide

B: Don't care...as long as no-one plans to bring in a TV2500 Chaos team with Claws+MB+PO on everyone.

Captain Shrek

B: I am a noob. So little real idea in that department.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

KamelĂĄsĂĄ!
Patron
Can't gurantee I'd be able to make a game a week considering every player's going to have different preferences for playtimes/timezones.
Also, I really hate cyanides UI andcamera.
And the cyanide client stubbornly refused to work last time unless I switched off my firewall entirely, unplugged my wireless router and dragged my pc into the living room to access the wall outlet.
And even then, my opponent in the last Cyanide league had 4-5 disconnects (and unlike FUMBBL, you couldn't resume after those) within the first 3-4 turns until the dice gave him a perfect start.

Pass.

grotsnik

Arcane
B: High TV teams do seem harsh on new players, especially when it's the old hands who've been building them up all this time (isn't Undead Phoenix's Chaos team an unbeatable powerhouse of destruction by now?). I remember, guiltily, one of Elwro's very first games in an earlier league pitted his fresh Amazons against my 1500 Lizardmen, and he was understandably frustrated by a set-up that allowed my seven St4+ players to stomp him into the ground with their Block skill, especially as he hadn't got to grips entirely with which inducements were best yet.

On the other hand, Grunker's been pushing for higher TV to prevent a hideous cycle of lower-end team-building repetition amongst the olde-time players for a while now, which I sympathise with. Basically, I don't mind so long as the fresh teams know what they're getting into and we don't end up with a few expertly-crafted juggernauts with, I don't know, super-charged killer fucken werewolves that just won't fail a regeneration roll aaargh curse you Nuffle and enough cash to buy a whole new team, to the extent that they're all near-guaranteed to dominate no matter how much Bugman's the greenhorns buy, and the semi-finals list ends up being all the same familiar faces. Which may be difficult.

hoverdog

dog that is hovering, Wastelands Interactive
Developer
Project: Eternity
1. don't care
2. don't care (but i'd rather have high tv, though only on Cyanide I have any experienced teams)

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

KamelĂĄsĂĄ!
Patron
If you want to run high TV teams, the usual way to do it is pick a set TV (say, 1400) and let every team equal to or lower than that join. That way, people without a killer team can still build up some basic skills on their players and it prevents the 1900+ juggernauts from stomping everyone. If people want their teams with 3 superstars and a million gold int he bank play, they're gonna have to make cuts intheir roster. You're still going to end up with higher TV matches, but half the participants won't be at a crippling disadvantage.

If you're going to rule that only league teams are allowed to play AND high TV is allowed in, they're just going to feed off of the new teams to get even more unstoppable and you'll see the same 4-5 teams inthe semis over and over. inducements are NOT a reliable substitute for skilled players on a team.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Can't gurantee I'd be able to make a game a week considering every player's going to have different preferences for playtimes/timezones.

It depends on the admin of course, but usually we run two groups with winners meeting in finals - one group for kwaish time zones and one for european.

Also, I really hate cyanides UI andcamera.

Good thing you can vote for FUMBBL then ;)

grotsnik said:
super-charged killer fucken werewolves
:lol:

I have no problem admitting that anyone taking old teams will of course have a strong advantage. But the urge to get out of the new-team evil spiral is too big. If any of the new players have a problem, they are welcome to play up a team in matchmaking. It doesn't take that long.

and the semi-finals list ends up being all the same familiar faces.

Here's what I'm saying: This, for me, is much less of a concern than having fun with overall league. I know I will have much more fun with a developed team. Everyone else is welcome to bring one too! If people really don't feel like running into Rex W. Tillerson and his AG4 with a new team, then do the matchmaking thing. Seriously it's not that complicated :)

Plus, apparantly I was a n00b back then 'cause I have no zombies with dirty player but I have one with Block :lol:

Ulminati said:
stuff about TV

I completely agree. That's why people should be allowed to join with teams from the matchmaking queue (where "cheated" teams require haxxorz to make) or the CBBL (these are teams everyone already knows).

(isn't Undead Phoenix's Chaos team an unbeatable powerhouse of destruction by now?).
In theory, not in practice. Truth is - my wee Beasties and Boyz are just softies who cannot roll higher than seven for injuries. Still, they easily have the potential to kill or worse any team they get a slight advantage over which inducements cannot counter - which would be extremely frustrating for anyone with a un-developed team.

With that in mind, I'm going to say fumbbl with new teams - the catch here being if we don't have enough teams to reliably get enough games to reach roughly 1400+ by the start the play-offs then we should allow higher rated ones to be started with.

Captain Shrek

Considering what Undead Phoenix is saying, I guess the best way it may turn out for Underdogs like me is to start with fresh teams. This undermines the strong players in possession of strong teams, I agree. But I would like to play and be massacred than just be massacred in the game.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Why are you ignoring the possibility to just build a team yourself and play with that? I will play with new teams if thats how the vote turns out, but it's getting soooooooooo old. And there's no unfair advantage when "new" players can just build up teams themselves if they don't want to play with a new team.

desocupado

Magister
A - I prefer Cyanide because I'm more familiar with it, and I don't like having to learn new stuff, but if FUMBLL atracts new players (because they don't want to buy the Cyanide client, maybe?), go for it.

B - Don't care much about TV.

Captain Shrek

Grunker

Well, more like unaware than ignore. To build one, do I have to start playing NOW against other human players or is there other way to build up a team on the cynide client?

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Grunker

Well, more like unaware than ignore. To build one, do I have to start playing NOW against other human players or is there other way to build up a team on the cynide client?

I was mainly addressing UD ;)

Well, if we end up using Cyanide, you just make a game in the public matchmaking league. Each time you play a game, your players are awarded SPPs and you gain money. Then when the league is set up you apply with that team to the league :). Depending on whether or not we're gonna use developed teams, we'll probably have a cap of around 1600-2000TV or something :)

Erzherzog

Magister
I'm new to playing BB online so I really shouldn't vote.

I will say that I'm completely unreliable due to my schedule with the navy. I can end up gone for up to 3 weeks at a time, not counting duty days making my schedule just generally tough. I'll let y'all decide if you're cool with me playing.

Country_Gravy

Arcane
Patron
Wasteland 2
I wanted to play in the last season and bought blood bowl and everything and then missed out. I have played maybe 5 matches and never against a human opponent. I am totally down to play in a league and fucking destroy all these vets that think they are so good.

I don't care how it works, I just want in.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom