Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline CoD Advanced Warfare ft. Kevin Spacey

chestburster

Savant
Illiterate
Hmm, either a 3/5 troll, or a very sad individual that somehow managed to remain on the Codex for almost 2 years and then suddenly got upset at the one magnum opus that's above criticism.

Go fuck yourself.

Angthoron

Arcane
Hmm, either a 3/5 troll, or a very sad individual that somehow managed to remain on the Codex for almost 2 years and then suddenly got upset at the one magnum opus that's above criticism.

Go fuck yourself.
I thought you said you weren't going to post in this thread anymore, intellectual giant.

Go play some Big Rigs, then frolic in the fields, for you're claiming to be in that magical segment of the population for whom all games are made. Don't try posting about it on forums though, your stellar intellect and refined taste palette isn't appreciated by the jealous manboons.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
And so, millions keep giving Big Daddy their monnies every year to stare at the same "hot assistant" and her new dress.

Naaah... can't possibly be because of retarded games like CoD.
It's because players don't follow the script and pretend all games are CoD.

Drax

Arcane
which is easier than actually using our fucking brains.

Use your brains and don't give two shit about CoD. Or if you have to, don't ruin your own pleasure.

Geez, is this so hard to grasp?

I don't give two shit(s) about CoD, and that wasn't the point.

Troika went down because we (as in, gamers as a group) don't deserve them

Yes you don't deserve them. Cuz you're one of the whiners who complain about only bad aspects of a game while ignoring its goodness.
You're no different from the tards that complained about the bugginess of Vampire/Arcacum while not paying attention to them being the best games in other aspects.

1) There's no goodness in CoD that I can't find in other games that kick CoD's ass. Therefore CoD can go suck a lemon.
2) There is absolutely no point of comparison between V:TMb and CoD. One has substance, the other does not. It's as simple as that.

You're just the other side of the coin. So go hang out with your IGN brethren cuz that's where you belong, despite you think otherwise.
Cheap shot, bro.

Tom Selleck

Arcane
Wait, so we're settled, then? CoD 2, 4, Ghosts = 11/10 GOAT, CoD 1, 3, MW2, MW3, BO, BO = 9/10 GOTY? Am I missing any?

Game writer is not a position that drives the project, at least not in the AAA, unless you're the company owner or something of the sort, a-la Metzen.

In AAA, a writer receives an assignment on the general topic and flow of the game as designed already. If he's particularly lucky to be in the core design team, he'll be able to set some of the direction here. However, since AAA is generally designed by market research committees, general result is that the writer simply has to give flesh to the already mis-shapen skeleton of a plot. Yeah, they might try to be smart/authentic/whatever in dialogues, yes, they might add a couple of neat details, but that's generally the extent of it. Revive Hemingway, Tolstoy and Plato, force them to work for Activision in game writing department, they won't likely do any fucking better. It's the way the system is set up to run.

This is super interesting to me. Do you (or anyone) have any links or articles that further fleshes out this process? This seems so counterthetical to these big scripted storygames that tout the story element if it's an afterthought to amusement park ride setpieces.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
This is super interesting to me. Do you (or anyone) have any links or articles that further fleshes out this process? This seems so counterthetical to these big scripted storygames that tout the story element if it's an afterthought to amusement park ride setpieces.
The story is not touted in CoD. The spectacle is touted, and it does deliver spectacle.

A lot of summer blockbluster movies are actually written this way as well. The producer and/or director decide they want certain set pieces and they work the story around delivering those spectacles.

Tom Selleck

Arcane
So why hired named writers? Marketing appeal? Do regular people even care who Stephen Gaghan is?

Angthoron

Arcane
So why hired named writers? Marketing appeal? Do regular people even care who Stephen Gaghan is?
That depends. For Hollywood, there's Writer's Guild influencing a lot of things. In gaming, not so much - largely it's names that can generate a buzz or appeal to a certain audience, otherwise, it's a large amount of "no-names".

AAA games as such are not author-centric. There are some exceptions, but these are far and few between - just like game artists merely creating textures, so are the writers merely creating a "narrative". It's all part of a complete design, and depending on interference from the publishers, shareholders, finance, time frames, project leads and such, the writer role can diminish to essentially that of a monkey with a typewriter.

That depends. For Hollywood, there's Writer's Guild influencing a lot of things. In gaming, not so much - largely it's names that can generate a buzz or appeal to a certain audience, otherwise, it's a large amount of "no-names".

AAA games as such are not author-centric. There are some exceptions, but these are far and few between - just like game artists merely creating textures, so are the writers merely creating a "narrative". It's all part of a complete design, and depending on interference from the publishers, shareholders, finance, time frames, project leads and such, the writer role can diminish to essentially that of a monkey with a typewriter.

This + circlejerk with friends phenomena. Everyone wants to put in a good word and hire the people whose name they know, because favors like that have a habit of being repaid whenever the business climate shifts and you (and 100 other people) are suddenly looking for a new job. Who cares whether we already have 2 writers, the script is set in stone and the dialog is 90% incomprehensible screams and cursing? The majority of people don't care about whether their talent is being wasted so long as the paycheck is stable, writers are no different.

Last edited:

chestburster

Savant
Illiterate
Crysis super jumps, invisibility, and super dash.

And they even stole the bridge collapse scene from Crysis 2.

Cevat Yerli must be crying.

Gnidrologist

CONDUCTOR
Wow, this surely is emotional thread here. I don't get all that nitpicking about exploitable and dumb AI. Most action games have it that way and open world roaming games suffer from that a lot more. It seems the angry guys here are expecting some sort of hardcore FPS experience aka Flashpoint, while it's obvious that it was designed for casual shootists who only expect nice visuals and cheap entertainment. Like me. My reflexes sucks and i think too slow (especially recently) for twitch gaming so these popamolers like these are just right up my alley if i want some action and/or to look all the pretty grafixxx. Stupid AI behavior is really something one should not hold against it, especially given how it is explicitly supposed to follow certain scenario. Chestnut has a point that by behaving intentionally silly one can break any game and only way to prevent that is by awarding you with ''restart mission, plz'' message. Don't see how it's any better.

Astral Rag

Arcane
DAY 0 EARLY ACCESS DIGITAL PRO EDITION only 99.99€!!!

:kingcomrade: :kingcomrade: :kingcomrade: :kingcomrade: :kingcomrade: :kingcomrade:
ddsw0i5u.jpg

:kingcomrade: :kingcomrade: :kingcomrade: :kingcomrade: :kingcomrade: :kingcomrade:

The AAA gaming industry is getting closer to its 200 dollar customer goal every day.

Last edited:

chestburster

Savant
Illiterate
Don't care what you think of the "gameplay" but they do invest big money making pretty good live action trailers every year:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Dissent within the ranks - RPS mocks Polygon for hyping this game up: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/11/02/the-sunday-papers-336/

Polygon went big on the making of Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare this past week, charting the formation of developer Sledgehammer with the kind of pomp and breathless awe normally reserved for rags-to-riches indies or the creation of Doritos tacos shells.

“I remember being asked all the time, ‘What’s the main mechanic?’” says Schofield. “And I would say, ‘Well, there’s two things. It’s about the advanced soldier, and the main mechanic is the exoskeleton.’ And Bret Robbins, who’s my right-hand man on everything creative here — he and I were getting frustrated. Because we were like, ‘Well, we keep saying this over and over.’ And I remember [Activision Senior Vice President] Rob Kostich saying to me, ‘You really believe in this exoskeleton?’ And I’m like, ‘Yeah, Rob, the boost jump and everything else we’re starting to do — it’s the real deal.’ And once Rob and then Eric gave it a thumbs up, everybody just got behind.”

:lol: :lol:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom