Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline CoD Advanced Warfare ft. Kevin Spacey

chestburster

Savant
Illiterate
This point gets brought up a lot in various different discussions. I'm not disagreeing with it, but I'd be interested to know how many people actually played Fo1/2 because of Fo3. I bet it's a really small amount, about the same amount of people who went back and gave Arena/Daggerfall/Morrowind a shot after playing Oblivion/Skyrim.

I am one of them. I played Fallout 3 and was immensely disappointed. And then I went to play Fallout 1/2 which I tried but couldn't get into around 2003.

And I love Fallout 1 (to some extent, 2) as my favorite game.

The case of Oblivion vs. Daggerfall is kinda different. Because Fallout 1/2 are 2D isometric, the graphics are not really "dated" insomuch as they're just "different" than the current standard. Daggerfall on the other hand, is fugly as hell in its 3D engine.

chestburster

Savant
Illiterate
chesburster is saying all CoD are good for what they are.

I said, I liked CoD 4 when I played it around 2007, on a 12-hour air trip.

And yes, it is quite cliched now, after so many iterations and imitations.

--I suspect you'd get bored banging the same Victoria's Secret super model for the 100th time.

But to say that she's not good because you're bored with her? That's just ridiculous.

chestburster

Savant
Illiterate
Did u fail your reading comprehension class?
Apparently you did considering Seboist didn't even post what you quoted above. Genius.

So wait, players are now morons for attempting to deviate from railroading? It's our fault for trying to play the game and not have the game play us? What kind of dipshit white knights this horrible popamole logic and then blames freedom-seeking players that it exists in the first place?

I can't believe this guy doesn't have a dumbfuck tag.

I wasn't even talking to the Seboist guy in that post. WTF are you talking about?

Yes you're a fucking moron for not cooperating in a fucking magic show, which you also voluntarily bought ticket for. Maybe you think you're being a smart ass. More power to you then.

chestburster

Savant
Illiterate
That literally has nothing to do with the argument. You're saying that a badly designed game is not to be blamed, but players.

Except they're not bad to begin with. Only bad when dumbfuck players do dumbfuck things that designers can't account for.

When this happens, designers can: (a) implement the so-called "fail-safe" which results in game gives you multiple branches which contributes in the ballooning of budget, which causes companies to be more risk-averse, which further causes more decline;

(b) do nothing and leave the game in a potentially buggy and easy-to-break state. More people complain about said game, company goes bankrupt. And everyone on Kodex is happy now. It was nice to know you Troika and GSC Gameworld.

or (b) just take away your freedom so you can't act like a dumbfuck.

Basically, you're saying that Cleve should let the machete-rape train in his bunker, as otherwise they will nuke him. "Accept and embrace shitty design, or we'll get even shittier design!"

Sad as it is, this is how the world works. This is called a descriptive statement, not a normative one.

Geesh, one would think a Codexer would know the difference.

Yes you're a fucking moron for not cooperating in a fucking magic show, which you also voluntarily bought ticket for. Maybe you think you're being a smart ass. More power to you then.

It's more along the lines of me noticing the string and the mirrors because I didn't get distracted by the magician's hot assistant as expected/intended. The fact she's there doesn't mean he can get sloppy with the trick's execution.

chestburster

Savant
Illiterate

It's more along the lines of me noticing the string and the mirrors because I didn't get distracted by the magician's hot assistant as expected/intended. The fact she's there doesn't mean he can get sloppy with the trick's execution.

Back in 2007 when the first magic Modern Warfare show came out, the strings and mirrors weren't so noticeable. Especially not noticeable if you approach it as a fastfood piece of junk, not meant to be scrutinized.

Also, even if you noticed, why stare at it and let it ruin your experience? Why not look at the hot assistant instead? At least MW4/6 had the hottest assistant in town. That's all I'm arguing here.

sexbad?

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
Also, even if you noticed, why stare at it and let it ruin your experience? Why not look at the hot assistant instead? At least MW4/6 had the hottest assistant in town. That's all I'm arguing here.
I guess the Codex really is for fags then.

chestburster

Savant
Illiterate
I guess the Codex really is for fags then.

If you're into that, Boby Kotick also promises u the best dildo money can buy.

Just don't expect the gay stripper to dance ballet.

A user named cat

I wasn't even talking to the Seboist guy in that post. WTF are you talking about?
6KQFbJV.jpg

I didn't realize I was participating in a magic show full of dazzle and illusion. I thought I was playing a stupid war shooter video game that allowed me to shoot fuckers as I see fit without breaking the system by pulling my hand away from my girlfriend. You are defending gameplay design that opposes actual gameplay, wonderful. Maybe Simon or Red Rover are more up your alley.

chestburster

Savant
Illiterate
some random screenshot

Thanks for the effort of keeping track of things. Still don't know WTF you're referring to.

You were replying to my response to tuluse, not sebonist. And yes I misquoted sebonist because I wasn't paying attention to the fucking forum code (who keeps track of your names anyway?).

How is that relevant to failing reading comprehension? So if I mis-remember who said what and didn't double check, I now can't read?

In any case, can we stop name calling like fucking 5-year-old now? Here, I apologize first. I shouldn't have called out tuluse for not reading my post.

Happy now?

I didn't realize I was participating in a magic show full of dazzle and illusion. I thought I was playing a stupid war shooter video game that allowed me to shoot fuckers as I see fit without breaking the system by pulling my hand away from my girlfriend.

If you go into playing CoD with this kind of mentality, I don't even know what to say.

Try ARMA instead maybe?

I have sympathy for your girlfriend, who not only has to endure your absence, but also has to witness your frustration after you find CoD doesn't meet your lofty expectations.

Angthoron

Arcane
I went in to CoD 4 - my first, and last, CoD, with a "Eh, let's see, at least it's not another WW2 shooter, can't be bad, right? People say it's nice" attitude. What I got was a steaming pile of Michael Bay clichés jumping out at me right away. But that's okay, not everything needs to be an amazingly complex experience, some things can be popcorn entertainment. I tried to ignore it.

Then I got to the TV station mission. Mission 2? Not sure. Whatever. So I go in, start poppin' moles, bang bang, boom boom. Neato. But why are these fucks not stopping? I keep getting a fresh wave of them time after time why? OHHHHH I WAS NOT MEANT TO STICK AROUND AND EXPLORE THE OFFICE!!! The script doesn't trigger until I approach a door! Fantastic! So the optimal way is just beelining for the door, triggering the script and moving on? Man, such a well-designed game. Move along, eat more clichés, find more obvious scripts, find more stereotypes. Cool.

What's this I am now a war plane shooting EVIL TERRORISTS from GREAT HEIGHT with a HIGH POWER GUN? Oh man. Excitement just keeps welling up. Quit just then, played MP with a bunch of friends for a little while. Much fucking better.

This game resonated with a whole lot of people, so, good for them. They were the exact target of Activision market research. Congratulations on being in that population group. For me, the game did absolutely nothing. The story didn't interest me, the gunplay was reasonable but too hampered by the very obvious scripts that I've seen in some very obvious scripted shooters before, which's why MP was the best way to play CoD 4 MW.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Why is it not a good thing when one plays Fallout 3 and then discovers Fallout 1 and finds its greatness?

trolol

More people only means you have more people to satisfy which means an increasingly lower common denominator.
Therefore more people = more shit. That's it. There's NO benefit from it.

Case in point, we have retarded shit like this:
they took away your freedom completely in those scripted sequences of the more recent COD-like games, so you can't act like a fucking moron anymore (compare the limited freedom in COD4's Pripyat level with the "instant-fail if you don't follow NPC orders" of those "stealth" levels in Battlefield 3 and MOH: Warfighter).

Happy now?

TL;DR Morons caused the decline. Go punch yourself if you want to act like a moron.

:retarded:

It's the players fault that they don't follow the script so the developers have to tighten the script. Hurr hurr

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
That literally has nothing to do with the argument. You're saying that a badly designed game is not to be blamed, but players.

Except they're not bad to begin with. Only bad when dumbfuck players do dumbfuck things that designers can't account for.
Oooo shit, yeah, somehow original Fallout and Arcanum were designed so they wouldn't break if dumbfuck players did dumbfuck things. Yet the games were vastly more complex than any shooter ever. Obsidian managed to make Neverwinter Nights 2 unbreakable without the player being forced on extreme rails.

So stop fucking defending shitty design and shitty developers and their shitty publisher.

chestburster

Savant
Illiterate
original Fallout and Arcanum

I would very appreciate to know where the developer of Arcanum is now.

Oh right, they went bankrupt, because dumbfucks said Vampire and Arcanum were buggy. And bad reputations resulted in poor sales. As much as I love Arcanum and Vampire, this is a sad, sad TRUTH.

I'm tired of arguing against a bunch of kindergarten kids. You fucks can't even make interesting arguments other than name calling and posting youtube vidyas in surrogate of proper reasoning.

Why am I even trying to talk sense into you? Feel free to bitch about CoD and everything else in this shitty world and your life.

Peace.

Lemming42

Arcane
I keep trying to read this thread from the point where I last posted and it just turns to a blur in my mind and I can't keep track of it at all. I'm not sure who's arguing what or what people are even arguing about, only that everyone's getting pissed at each other.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I keep trying to read this thread from the point where I last posted and it just turns to a blur in my mind and I can't keep track of it at all. I'm not sure who's arguing what or what people are even arguing about, only that everyone's getting pissed at each other.
God dammit Lemming. Can't you even read a fucking thread?

Jesus fucking Christ in a handbasket.

Oh right, they went bankrupt, because dumbfucks said Vampire and Arcanum were buggy. And bad reputations resulted in poor sales. As much as I love Arcanum and Vampire, this is a sad, sad TRUTH.

Actually, this is entirely inaccurate.

Also holy shit you have bad taste in FPS.

Lemming42

Arcane
God dammit Lemming. Can't you even read a fucking thread?

Jesus fucking Christ in a handbasket.

No. My mind cannot take it in. I may be getting dementia.

chestburster

Savant
Illiterate

Actually, this is entirely inaccurate.

Also holy shit you have bad taste in FPS.

You mean not entirely accurate. Well guess what, history is complex.

And don't deny that bad reputation of developing "buggy and unfinished games" CONTRIBUTED to the downfall of Troika.

My taste in FPS is fine. I am just able to find some enjoyment in the shittier offers.

Drax

Arcane
Troika went down because we (as in, gamers as a group) don't deserve them, most people are trained from kindergarten to act like
why stare at it and let it ruin your experience? Why not look at the hot assistant instead?
which is easier than actually using our fucking brains. And so, millions keep giving Big Daddy their monnies every year to stare at the same "hot assistant" and her new dress.

Fucking slaves.

I'm not making sense, am I? I'm kinda drunk.

Angthoron

Arcane
Hmm, either a 3/5 troll, or a very sad individual that somehow managed to remain on the Codex for almost 2 years and then suddenly got upset at the one magnum opus that's above criticism.

Anyway, entertaining thread, almost as good as the "No guys, HL1 is a deep game, really!!!" threads for those for whom HL1 was babby's first shootan.

chestburster

Savant
Illiterate
which is easier than actually using our fucking brains.

Use your brains and don't give two shit about CoD. Or if you have to, don't ruin your own pleasure.

Geez, is this so hard to grasp?

Troika went down because we (as in, gamers as a group) don't deserve them

Yes you don't deserve them. Cuz you're one of the whiners who complain about only bad aspects of a game while ignoring its goodness.

You're no different from the tards that complained about the bugginess of Vampire/Arcacum while not paying attention to them being the best games in other aspects.

You're just the other side of the coin. So go hang out with your IGN brethren cuz that's where you belong, despite you think otherwise.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom