Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline CoD Advanced Warfare ft. Kevin Spacey

chestburster

Savant
Illiterate
overreliance on scripts that can be easily understood and exploited

Exploiting COD's script?

What purpose does this kind of activity serve? To deliberately ruin the experience that you presumably paid money for (or used bandwidth with)?

You must be the one that reads spoilers before you watch a movie and then complain that said movie failed to deliver an emotional punch.

chestburster

Savant
Illiterate
So what? Does that make that level a failure
:retarded:
that is. certainly you can't. how.

The "All Ghillied Up" level was exceptionally well scripted, and actually allowed a lot of freedom in your approach. Unlike in some "stealth" sections of the later COD games, you CAN go into that level guns blazing. You can even take down the chopper, as long as you can find a stinger. You can kill ALL those soldiers if you don't want to follow NPC's orders. The only restriction you have is that you can't kill the tanks.

It's never designed to be a Thief/Hitman/Splinter Cell stealth game. Which is why it never used any of the standard "stealth game" mechanisms (avoid line of sight, stick to shadows, etc.) And shouldn't be judged as such.

sexbad?

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
You're an idiot. Because it is a first-person shooter, not a JRPG or a management sim.

It's a movie where you can push some buttons occasionally.

Also since you clearly lack of reading comprehension ability of the rhetoric of hyperbole, here is an easier one for you:

why not complain that ARMA doesn't have cinematic first-person cutscenes?

"All Ghillied UP" level

Yes I'm well aware of that level. Yes you were hopping like a fucking idiot. Yes the enemies didn't see you since you were away from their line of sight.

So what? Does that make that level a failure or only shows that you have ADD or were intending to act like one?
Because ARMA has a focus that is much more commendable than "turn of ur branez," and, as far as I know, it has kept that focus since the first entry in the franchise.

Call of Duty used to be an adequate series that recognized that you can pretend you're an All-American Hero without having your hand held at all times. Now it holds your hand at all times and is observably worse because of that.

In the video, I was clearly in the field of vision of many of the enemies I hopped around (or what should have been their field of vision). But there is no actual AI, so they can't hear or see somebody in a noisy military uniform hopping around ten meters away. Only when you pass certain triggers will the enemies' senses activate and detect you. Maybe this is why they removed jumping from Thi4f.

overreliance on scripts that can be easily understood and exploited

Exploiting COD's script?

What purpose does this kind of activity serve? To deliberately ruin the experience that you presumably paid money for (or used bandwidth with)?

You must be the one that reads spoilers before you watch a movie and then complain that said movie failed to deliver an emotional punch.
By the point that I determine that something is bad, I'm probably not having any fun with it. Either I turn it off or I look for ways to have fun with it. The latter is not hard, and it is not an extreme idea, when a game tells you exactly how to play it at every moment.

The STELTZ maneuver shown in my video is something that I first discovered in Homefront by accident and immediately took a liking to. Although Homefront has worse production values, and as such is worse and allows for a lot more opportunities for the STELTZ maneuver, both its forced stealth mission and the one in CoD 4 that it rips off are the antithesis of fun unless I employ the STELTZ maneuver.

I don't need to do anything silly to illustrate the flaws in the Pripyat mission, but its allowance for my STELTZ is the icing on the cake that makes me kind of fond of talking about it.

Flying_Dutchman

Educated
sexbad said:
Because ARMA has a focus that is much more commendable than "turn of ur branez," and, as far as I know, it has kept that focus since the first entry in the franchise.

Why the hell would you compare ARMA with COD? Two completely different FPS titles.

Utgard-Loki

Arcane
see, i would buy this argument if the pieces would form a whole like in deus ex. but they don't, it's a glorfied, 3d duckhunt aimed at easily amused (man)children. the shooting is not fun, the writing isn't tolerable and even the most basic things (enemies spotting and then shooting) do not work right. the shitty "but it doesn't try to x!"-excuse does not work. they made a level where being stealthy was the point and fucked it up.

sexbad?

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
sexbad said:

Why the hell would you compare ARMA with COD? Two completely different FPS titles.
Because chestburster asked me about ARMA in a manner that led me to draw comparisons between the visions of their creators.

chestburster

Savant
Illiterate
Because ARMA has a focus that is much more commendable than "turn of ur branez,"

Call of Duty used to be an adequate series that recognized that you can pretend you're an All-American Hero without having your hand held at all times.

No. If you know your COD history, Medal of Honor was born only because Spielberg (of all people!) wanted a "cinematic" experience in games. And the Infinity Ward people splintered out from MOH developers because they wanted to make an even more "cinematic" game.

actual AI,

You seem to consider "AI" to be something more than "being scripted to respond to certain kind of player input in certain kind of way."

No.

COD had AI. It just had simple AI, for simple purposes. As long as you don't deliberately break it, it works fine. Same reason you don't break your toy car looking for a hidden little man driving it.

By the point that I determine that something is bad, I'm probably not having any fun with it.

That only reflects YOUR problem. Not the game's. I played MW1 for the first time when I was on a 12 hour plane. And it kept me entertained, certainly more so than the shitty movies on offer on the plane.

sexbad?

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
Please clarify y/n: Are you saying that I have a problem if I am not getting any enjoyment out of a game and therefore am considering it bad?

chestburster

Savant
Illiterate
see, i would buy this argument if the pieces would form a whole like in deus ex. but they don't, it's a glorfied, 3d duckhunt aimed at easily amused (man)children. the shooting is not fun, the writing isn't tolerable and even the most basic things (enemies spotting and then shooting) do not work right. the shitty "but it doesn't try to x!"-excuse does not work. they made a level where being stealthy was the point and fucked it up.

It only stops working when you approach it in a way that makes it doesn't work.

E.g., refuse to go "stealth" when the game's setting and plot demand such; or deliberately going backwards during snowmobile chase; or shoot friendly NPCs; or bunny hopping when NPCs give "emotional" speeches, etc.

All these can't be blamed on the game. It's the player that's at fault.

chestburster

Savant
Illiterate
Please clarify y/n: Are you saying that I have a problem if I am not getting any enjoyment out of a game and therefore am considering it bad?

You have a problem in:
(a) playing a game that you have decided to be bad before you play it, or
(b) continuing to play a game after you've discovered you don't like it (i.e. after the tutorial section), or
(c) deriving morbid fun from breaking a game then complaining on Kodex for Kool Kredit.

thesoup

Arcane
Calling it:
chestburster said:
The Snoop Dogg DLC is something I would recommend every serious CoD fan. You really don't know what immersion is if you haven't purchased this little gem.

sexbad?

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014

You have a problem in:
(a) playing a game that you have decided to be bad before you play it, or
(b) continuing to play a game after you've discovered you don't like it (i.e. after the tutorial section), or
(c) deriving morbid fun from breaking a game then complaining on Kodex for Kool Kredit.
So then, what's your excuse in continuing to argue with somebody you think has fundamental problems of the same nature?

Don't really have a real breadth of experience with shooters (having mostly only played the multitude of good/popular/Codexian ones), but I really don't see what CoD brings to the table at all. The idea of designing a shooter with strong storyline elements and gameplay consisting of sequences of "exciting" set-pieces isn't a bad one, but it doesn't seem like it necessitates the sacrifice of complexity.

Case in point, No One Lives Forever. Delivers the style of set-piece after set-piece gameplay, and a relatively strong "story", without having lobotomized level design and mechanics. Would it really be all that difficult to copy that sort of formula? I liked both NOLF games, but I don't think they exuded any sort of unfathomable brilliance that denies understanding; following in their footsteps, or even one-upping them should be quite possible.

Again, not super well versed in shootin', so maybe NOLF really is that damn good, or CoD has some unconventional greatness that escapes me.

chestburster

Savant
Illiterate
So then, what's your excuse in continuing to argue with somebody you think has fundamental problems of the same nature?

Because I'm stupid and wasting my time despite I have more important things to do.

And I don't pretend otherwise.

chestburster

Savant
Illiterate
Calling it:
chestburster said:
The Snoop Dogg DLC is something I would recommend every serious CoD fan. You really don't know what immersion is if you haven't purchased this little gem.
First I don't give a rat's ass with COD's DLCs which are multiplayer only and I don't play that shitfest. So stop putting words in my mouth.

Second, if you're a fan of SnoopyDog (whatever that is) and you have some condom/icecream money to spare, yes you should buy that DLC.

chestburster

Savant
Illiterate
sequences of "exciting" set-pieces isn't a bad one, but it doesn't seem like it necessitates the sacrifice of complexity.

Yes it does, for two reasons:

(1) inexperienced player can't handle pushing more than two buttons at a time, which hinders their ability to enjoy said "exciting" set-pieces. They're not retarded, at least not all of them. They just don't have any gaming experience playing games. Contrary to popular belief, it is a good thing to bring more people into playing games, not to scare them away.

(2) if you don't restrict player's action, some of them tend to do dumb shit and break the game (or "immershun" or whatever you call it). Case in point, Valve struggled really hard with Half Life 2 because players tend to throw cans into Alyx's face during cutscenes. I think they gave up in finding a solution. The end result is less than satisfactory, at least for those ADD players.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Yes it does, for two reasons:

(1) inexperienced player can't handle pushing more than two buttons at a time, which hinders their ability to enjoy said "exciting" set-pieces. They're not retarded, at least not all of them. They just don't have any gaming experience playing games. Contrary to popular belief, it is a good thing to bring more people into playing games, not to scare them away.
Why? What good has the massive increase in player base done for me since 1998?

Lemming42

Arcane
I used to like CoD 1 (and United Offensive) and 2, but replaying them last year made me realize they're actually really... not sure what the right word is. Basic? I'm also less comfortable playing a game that treats WW2 in that way now than I was when I was younger.

Most of the fun I ever had with them was on multiplayer anyway, and even then only the rat maps.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom