Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Cloud is Dead (Final Fantasy VII CYOA)

Random Word

Arbiter
MCA Project: Eternity
Engaging Tifa in hand to hand in this setting is suicide. Talking is probably our only hope of survival, but hey, Trinity did hit an Agent, and bullets travel faster than the speed of sound.
C

Damn. Well, working from a complete lack of knowledge of anything FF (and proud of my ignorance :P), this is my analysis of the choices:

A - maybe, but very risky that she is not just going to burn us of the ladder.
B - yeah, that's not going to work - if they want to run, they would need to head down anyway, so they'll have an opportunity to grab the keys if we throw them down.
C - probably a best bet of actually taking her down.
D - even riskier than A
E - the lulz option

I wish I could think of another option. She's about 15 meters up, right? So, from the sounds of fighting, did we already pass the other two? And if yes, is there a reasonable chance of getting out on a lower floor without alerting her? What I'm getting to is that we leave the shaft, sprint up the stairs until we find someone with a working comm and then organise a welcome party for her on the 59 floor. But I don't know if we are just going to run into the other two and if there is a chance to pull that off.

edit: "You still hear the gunshots from beneath you." Yeah, we went past at least one attacker (probably the one taking the normal stairs). So, if there is a chance of stealthy leaving the shaft I'm voting for this option (F?). We would be far more convincing when telling her to surrender if we have a platoon of soldiers and more firepower than a pistol can provide to back our words. If we don't have a reasonable chance of sneaking out, I'm voting C - taking her out is our best chance of surviving this, as slim as that is.

Last edited:

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Duh. C
We have passable marksmanship skill, already inner nature coward, so we're gunning (heh) for a rank in cold-blooded. Seems the most likely to succeed option.

Jester

Arbiter
So, if there is a chance of stealthy leaving the shaft I'm voting for this option (F?).
vote F
[Stealth][Tactical Genius] Get out of shaft and reorganize Shinra defense to counter terrorist tactic.

I expect that telling our pals to open elevator shaft and dump there nade or two would be for best. Sealing other entrances would force them to loose some time to clear way. Getting someone with brainzzz to mock army should be priority, they plans usually is go and attack them head on.

vote F
[Stealth][Tactical Genius] Get out of shaft and reorganize Shinra defense to counter terrorist tactic.
Well, to be honest I'd call it more [Stealth][Coward or Common fucking sense]. Seriously, after what we have seen the attackers have done, do we have a very good chance of taking her out with just a pistol, even with the element of surprise? Without ending up on the bottom of the elevator shaft? Probably not. But if we can get more firepower on her, that would certainly help - provided of course that it is even possible to sneak out without her noticing us.

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
C.

:greatjob:

inb4 killing the three winds up allowing Sephiroth to destroy the world unopposed.

Last edited:

Random

Arcane
Patron
Prologue Redux Part VI

It's a bit tasteless, but you admit that it is your safest bet here. You're going to shoot her, even if you'd rather not for various reasons. You carefully draw your SM3, raising it up and aiming it carefully. It's a bit dark, the angle is weird, and you're doing it one-handed, but you've got enough practice with firearms to have a reasonable chance to hit here. You squint and peer down the sights of the pistol. You really wish that it had tritium sights, they work much better in dark areas like this. After about a minute of careful aiming, you begin to slowly squeeze the trigger. You just need one good shot to take her down. The fall will take care of the rest. Sorry about this. Goodbye, sweet ass.

Just as the trigger pulls back all the way and the hammer flies forward, a nearby explosion physically shakes you and screws with your aim. You fire, and the bullet hits her. But it was merely a graze on her forearm. She glances down in shock, her beautiful eyes zero in on you, she pushes her boots against the wall, and in a flash, she's gone. You briefly wonder where she could have gone, then realize she's backflipped off of the shaft wall and is currently falling at an angle you can't see in your position. You start to move, not sure of what you should do but certain you need to do something, but by then it is too late - you feel something grab onto the assault rifle strapped to your back, and then it yanks on you downwards, and with only one hand on the bars of the ladder you are incapable of mustering the strength to stop her momentum from pulling you right off of it.

Then, you're falling into the dark chasm below. You helplessly drop the pistol in an effort to grab onto something, anything, and watch it float with you. It looks bizarre to you, an interesting thing to ponder as you plummet to your death. You start wishing you had just oogled her for a bit longer, or copped a feel. That would have been a nice way to go. But before your life can flash before your eyes, your fall is arrested by the same hand that pulled you off of the ladder in the first place, and the rifle strap digs into your chest painfully as all of your momentum is stopped, and you cough and sputter a bit due to your crushed diaphragm, unable to breathe right.

The pistol falls past you, clanging into the shaft walls numerous times on its way down before you eventually hear a loud thump and a gunshot. It must have misfired when it hit the ground. You are facing away from the ladder, your arms and legs dangling helplessly, and you pray that the strap doesn't break. You can only assume that the beautiful woman grabbed onto the ladder an instant after pulling you off of it, an incredible maneuver that you wish you could do. But your euphoria at surviving is cut short, as the woman growls something out at you. "Give me one good reason I shouldn't just drop you right now," she says calmly.

You immediately panic. What can you tell her? What can you do to survive this? She's holding you up by your rifle with one hand. What a monster. Even if you had a weapon you could use, you're facing away from her and have no way to strike at her. There's nothing nearby that you can grab onto. And on top of all of that, you feel weak due to struggling to breathe correctly. If she chooses to let you go, you're done.

What do you do?

A) "Oh god please don't kill me!"
B) [Lie] "I have a family! Please spare me!"
C) "You have a nice, firm ass. Just wanted to say that before I die."
D) "%#$@ you, @#$%&! Suck my @&$#!"
E) "Wait! Don't drop me! I have the keys to the display vehicles in the lobby!"
F) [Lie] "Wait! Don't drop me! I can help you! I'll join AVALANCHE!"
G) Other

Character Sheet

Name: Marcus "Maverick" Westford
Class: Ranger
Profession: First Lieutenant of the Shinra Peacekeeping Corps
Inner Nature: X
Dominant Inner Nature: Coward

Characteristics:
Strength 4 Agility 7
Tenacity 4 Intelligence 7

Skills:
Marksmanship Lvl. 2
Hand-to-Hand Lvl. 1, Athletics Lvl. 1, Discipline Lvl. 1, Fieldcraft Lvl. 1, Bluff Lvl. 1, Stealth Lvl. 1, Academics Lvl. 1, Observation Lvl. 1, Electronics Lvl. 1, Computer Use Lvl. 1

Inventory: SM-20A3 Assault Rifle, three clips of 7.62mm ammunition, three clips of 9mm ammunition, Nightstick, Shinra Light Combat Armor Helmet, civilian casual clothes, Shinra Employee ID Card, Jupiter Energy Bar, Pocket Knife, Spearmint Gum, Portable Handheld System, Wallet w/ 20,000 Gil, keys to display vehicles

Night Goat

The Immovable Autism
Patron
No Fun Allowed
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
So it seems our marksman skill didn't matter, we failed anyway because Tifa has Plot Armor. We're fucked now, so I'm voting C. It's the least cowardly option, and we might as well die laughing.

Yeah, it doesn't matter that we have the keys. She can drop us anyway, then pick up the keys from our body when they head down to the vehicles anyway. Fucking plot armor. That's why you don't just try to shoot protagonists - it never works.

G - tell her "At least I got closer than all my friends you bastards butchered. Oh, and nice ass by the way."

Or C is fine as well. G > C.

Random

Arcane
Patron
I was afraid this might happen. Let me explain what happened behind the scenes: it was a difficult shot to make by anyone's standards. Have you ever tried firing a pistol completely vertically upwards, one handed, in the darkness? It's hard. So I made it a hard roll to pass, and with Agility 7 and Marksmanship Lvl. 2, you had roughly 1/2 odds of hitting a vital area, 1/4 odds of grazing her, and 1/4 odds of missing entirely. You rolled to graze her, so you grazed her. The way I interpreted it and had it play out in this part was an explosion shaking you to screw up your otherwise accurate aim, to try and make it clear to you all that you are not at all incompetent at shooting things, it was the circumstances that fucked you. If you were not in a dark elevator shaft, in an awkward position, firing one handedly, you would have a 99% chance of hitting.

I'm going to make this clear right now: you can kill anyone. There is no plot armor for you, there is no plot armor for them. If there is plot armor for them, you get to have plot armor too. So don't get your panties in a bunch.

Kipeci

Arcane
A > C

At least when we reload, they won't be getting away... E just notifies them to loot our carcass.

Elfberserker

Liturgist
Well let's try to save our darling little shinra troop. Is suggest to bribe her, failing that kets try desperately reach her googy good side if she has any for us. So I vote E>A.
I have to admit that C would have been awesome way to die though.

Jester

Arbiter
H - Give me one good reason for you f*%&#&$ don't deserving bullet for killing my pals and collapsing 1/8 of city. And you being cute dont cut it.

vote H> G> C

Zero cooked up good stuff. :D
Thats why i said we should avoid trying to directly off them, they usually don't die.

So I made it a hard roll to pass, and with Agility 7 and Marksmanship Lvl. 2, you had roughly 1/2 odds of hitting a vital area, 1/4 odds of grazing her, and 1/4 odds of missing entirely. You rolled to graze her, so you grazed her.
So, since the consequences for just grazing her are exactly the same as failing entirely (as far as I can see), effectively it was a coin toss with heads you succeed, tails you die. Shame, I was kind of starting to like this guy.

Imperator

Scholar
so are shinra grunt going to die?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom