Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Cloud is Dead (Final Fantasy VII CYOA)

Baltika9

Arcane
Well, I'm disappointed. I can't believe you guys chose the one choice that clearly threw away your greatest strength and did something extremely stupid and reckless when the character you built was not meant for doing something like that. Choices and consequences. This must be a new record for getting a game over on a CYOA, not even finishing the prologue. Maybe that decision wasn't easy enough.
'Tis the codex way. :salute:

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Anabanana said:
Let's go full asshole. We never play proper assholes in these games.
One asshole down.

So, Heroic Impulse Ranger Medic Student, since it was our next favorite? Let's be an hero!

Flopped to Tactical Genius. We can become an hero faster this way.

Last edited:

Baltika9

Arcane
Can't say I regret his passing, though. With a name like Shepard, the guy deserved to die.

Anabanana

Augur
I am totally down for Ranger/Medic/Student, but let's go with anything BUT Heroic Impulse. I'd be fine with Cold-Blooded, though having all the Inner Natures at once sounds fun. You're a cold-blooded tactician, but have some kind of mental illness that compels you to lead people into doing suicidal heroics, which only you will survive because nobody is as tough as you, you motherfucker.

I pity our party members.

Night Goat

The Immovable Autism
Patron
No Fun Allowed
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
We're all adults here, so let's not be some do-gooder. I also vote for multiclassing the Inner Natures. If I had to choose one, it would be True Grit this time.

I catch some sleep and we are already dead. Nice going guys. Did you deliberately try to kill our character because you didn't like the way the character turned out? If yes, fuck that. I'm voting for the biggest hero option possible this time. And the same bloody name if it caused that much buthurt - Shepard.

Come on guys, if we're going to be extreme, we need extreme stats! Savant +tenacity, -str -int! Merc, Thief. True Grit (or all of them, w/e).

also Spud is a good name

Elfberserker

Liturgist
Good to see that we can actually die quiete easily.

my choice.

Class: ranger
Package: Pilot and Student
Inner nature: true grit

Nevill

Arcane
Zero Credibility said:
I catch some sleep and we are already dead. Nice going guys.
Moral of the story: don't sleep when there is a vote going on. :P

Zero Credibility said:
I'm voting for the biggest hero option possible this time.
Sooo... Heroic Impulse Ranger Medic Student, then, I presume? :)

a bear named spigot said:
Come on guys, if we're going to be extreme, we need extreme stats!
Blasphemy! XTREME is not a state of the body, but of the mind.

Last edited:

Baltika9

Arcane
Fuck it, I want to LARP this guy:

Warrior
Soldier x2
True Grit.
Sturnn.

Ain't no one taking him down.

But I like sleeping. Yeah, as much as I like quick updates, it would probably be better to wait for more votes rather than adhere to strict update schedule. Otherwise this is going to be a very short LP.

Anyway, voting:

Ranger - because again I like agility / smarts combination
Student / Medic - sounds like this could work well with tactical genius
Tactical Genius - having a taste of this in action I like it, though if I had an opportunity I would question the point of trying to hide from high-calibre ammo behind a trash can, metal or not (unless the damn thing was filled with kevlar)
Shepard - because of the butthurt; if you guys have a better idea, vote for it instead of each giving a different name

Nevill

Arcane
If we continue, do we get to observe the crazy stunt by our predecessor? Can we heroically rush out of the building and scatter the enemy by going past our limits to try and help him in case he is still alive? He could be!

Random

Arcane
Patron
Alright, we'll go in depth but quickly this time around. There's only been one suggestion for taking the Warrior class and the rest have all been Ranger. In the interests of time, we'll just go ahead with Ranger and move onto the two larger issues here.

I've seen fewer suggestions for skill packages, so the list of the ones that have been so far suggested is here:

http://strawpoll.me/869103

As before, please only vote for two of them.

As for Inner Nature, I've decided that you'll be spared the shame of easy mode. Instead, what I'll do is allow you access to all five Inner Natures, but they will play a sort of alignment function here. If you repeatedly use Cold-Blooded choices, you will be seen as a cold-blooded bastard by your party and the world. If you repeatedly use True Grit choices, you'll be seen as some kind of badass. In this way, Inner Nature based and tagged options carry with them the weight of the future, and if you have access to five different Inner Nature options for important decisions, it won't be terrifically clear which one is the best choice. Am I making sense?

Nevill

Arcane
I guess people liked the application of our Tactical Genius. I'll flop to that just to spare us another tie.

So far (as of 16:35 GMT 15.12.13) we have:

Nevill - Tactical Genius Ranger Medic Student
Imperator - Heroic Impulse Ranger Medic Student
Anabanana - (Anything but Heroic Impulse) Ranger Medic Student / Sturrn
Elfberserker - True Grit Ranger Pilot Student
Baltika9 - True Grit Warrior Soldier*2 /Sturnn
Zero Credibility - Tactical Genius Ranger Medic Student / Shepard
GreyViper - Tactical Genius Ranger Medic Student

ERYFKRAD - True Grit Soldier (skills unspecified)
Night Goat - True Grit (everything else unspecified)

Class:
Ranger - 6
Warrior -1
Soldier - 1

Skills:
Medic - 5
Student - 6
Soldier - 3
Pilot - 1

Inner Nature:
True Grit - 4
Tactical Genius - 3
Heroic Impulse - 1

It seems like everything but the Inner Nature is decided. Maybe we should take up on Random's offer.

Edit: ninja'd by Random.

Random said:
Am I making sense?
You are. Inner Nature as a kind of reputation/alignment sounds pretty good. But still, maybe you shouldn't tag them and keep these statistics hidden? It is quite clear that using civilians as a living shield is not a Heroic option. But it may count equally towards Cold-Blooded and Tactical Genius, depending on the situation. I like figuring out things like this by myself.

Last edited:

Random

Arcane
Patron
You are. Inner Nature as a kind of reputation/alignment sounds pretty good. But still, maybe you shouldn't tag them and keep this statistics hidden? It is quite clear that using civilians as a living shield is not a Heroic option. But it may count equally towards Cold-Blooded and Tactical Genius, depending on the situation. I like figuring out things like this by myself.

Thanks for tallying up the ballots. It's already looking like the strawpoll is gonna be a repeat of what you've got for skill package choices, unless lurkers massively pump up thief and pilot or something.

I'll consider not tagging every choice. I think what I'll do is keep the tags for the rest of the prologue (so you can see kind of how this stuff is working), then get rid of them once we've moved onto Chapter 1 and you all have a firmer grasp on how it works.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom