Tacticular Cancer: We'll have your balls

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Science Climate change is real, and it is man-made.

Discussion in 'SCIENCE!!' started by idonthavetimeforthiscrap, Mar 3, 2014.

1. Bester Arcane Vatnik

Bester
    Parrots:
    Click here and disable ads!
    Out of all things to care about, like a billion living things with nerve endings, environment should be the last thing on your mind. Unless you're an asshole. If you must care about something, there are people and homeless animals that could use your help.

• WTF am I reading WTF am I reading x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. hajro Savant

hajro
    Parrots:
    Do those homeless dindus matter.

• it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Sykar Arcane

Sykar
    Parrots:
    You are aware that we are heavily dependent on our environment, right? If not, do us all a favor and move to the Gobi desert, preferably alone, without food and water, and stay there.

Does your life matter?

• retadred retadred x 2
    ^ Top  
  4. Bester Arcane Vatnik

Bester
    Parrots:
    I don't know what you're trying to convey honestly. Your phrase is very vague. What are the dangers in your opinion? Because AFAIK we're not going to push Earth into a new Ice Age and the ice isn't going to come down to Spain and kill all cattle and vegetation no matter what we do.

^ Top  
  5. Sykar Arcane

Sykar
    Parrots:
    Are you serious? Do you have so little foresight as to understand what can happen if the climate changes too rapidly we won't be able to keep up even with our technology?
    Also what is that babble about ice age? Global warming has different effects on different regions. Some regions might cool down. Some will probably get even warmer. Others might not change very much.
    Stop thinking locally what might happen to the garden behind your cellar hole and start thinking a little bit.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • retadred retadred x 2
    ^ Top  
  6. hajro Savant

hajro
    Parrots:
    No

• Tool Tool x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Sykar Arcane

Sykar
    Parrots:
    Not even to yourself?

• retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Bester Arcane Vatnik

Bester
    Parrots:
    Foresight? Lol...

I still don't understand what you're trying to convey. Tell me in concrete terms, what the fuck do you expect to happen to planet Earth in 10-20 years if I don't start recycling plastic and don't switch over to Tesla?

Because if the ocean levels rise by 1cm and some cities have to build higher dams, and that's it, then why should I care.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. hajro Savant

hajro
    Parrots:
    no

^ Top  
  10. hajro Savant

hajro
    Parrots:
    Thats one of the smaller problems, more and more areas becoming unsuitable for crop making is a bigger problem. We have more and more dindus while having less and less arable land.

^ Top  
  11. Bester Arcane Vatnik

Bester
    Parrots:
    How so? The price of bread on the market tells me there's really no shortage of crops. None at all.

^ Top  
  12. Raapys Arcane

Raapys
    Parrots:
    The amount of arable land in the world has generally seen an increase rather than decrease though. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arable_land

In addition, it seems conceivable that higher CO2 concentrations would improve plant growth, no? Same with higher temperatures for areas outside the equator, which is most of the world.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Sykar Arcane

Sykar
    Parrots:
    I do not know where you live, but in the EU, this is meaningless considering that agriculture is heavily subsided by the EU goverment, enabling farmers, etc. to throw out products at ridiculously low prices, even undercutting prices of famers in 3rd world countries. So the price of food is meaningless.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_Hunger_Index

Hunger has gone down but once shit hit the fan we will see drastically reduced availability of food products in a lot of areas which will results in famine all over globe. At the current rate that might take another 30-50 years, maybe more, maybe less if we let the rate of global warming even worse.

Plants cannot grow much if the environment becomes too dry and warm. Also the correlation is not so simple that more CO2 automatically will grant us more production, otherwise you wouldn't see people grow shit outside but almost exclusively in greenhouses with increased CO2 concentration, yet I never hear of that.
    Deserts are steadily growing. Furthermore, the destruction of the rainforest not only berefts us of a vast array of potentially groundbreaking discoveries in chemistry and biology, but also the arable land there is rather short lived since the few inches of fertile soil gets quickly eroded away by wind and rain, leaving behind a barren wasteland.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2017 at 4:00 PM
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Raapys Arcane

Raapys
    Parrots:
    Agreed.

See: http://www.climatecentral.org/news/study-finds-plant-growth-surges-as-co2-levels-rise-16094

True. Yet, arable land world-wide continues to increase and so does global foliage, rendering your point moot.

If indeed man-made climate change is having an effect on plant growth and arable land, it thus far appears to be a positive effect in most measurable ways.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  15. Sykar Arcane

Sykar
    Parrots:
    A lot of the things you can do would not just help to slow down climate change, but would provide improvments to our living standards, political influences, etc. as well.
    Think about reducing emissions in big cities which would lead to cleaner air, less ozone problems during summers, a problem a lot of metropoles face each year, less erosion of sensitive/historical buildings, less polution of drinkable water, conserving energy, being less dependant on Saudi Arabic shithole oil, etc.

Seriously a lot of the things we can do would benefit us in far more eras than just limiting the current speed of climate change.

• retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. hajro Savant

hajro
    Parrots:

^ Top  
  17. Gnidrologist CONDUCTOR

Gnidrologist
    Parrots:
    [​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 2
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Bester Arcane Vatnik

Bester
    Parrots:
    "When shit hit the fan" is what I'd write if I had no concrete idea of what exactly is going to happen, didn't understand the underlying mechanics and was talking out of my ass. Sorry but you seem like a brainwashed bot who knows nothing, and therefore can't explain anything.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Make America Great Again Zorba the Hutt Arcane Weasel

Zorba the Hutt
    Parrots:
    When it comes to food production, I suspect we'll see a lot more of this in the future - particularly in places like the Gulf States with low cost energy actually, thinking about it cities in cold climates or city states like Singapore would really benefit from this, and some of the Gulf States have more open space than others:
    https://cleantechnica.com/2017/04/1...rcial-vertical-farm-construction-netherlands/

Last edited: Apr 21, 2017 at 6:24 PM
    ^ Top  
  20. Fenix Arbiter

Fenix
    Parrots:
    When it comes to food production, I know what we will see - corporation like monsanta will get all lands for them due to a fact that GMO near normal plant will make them barren.
    After that nothinl will grown without their permission, and in some moment will happen such thing, that millions will die.
    Most powerful tool for control population.

• hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 1
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Make America Great Again Lady Error Arcane

Lady Error
    Parrots:
    That's why we should focus on those things instead of "limiting climate change", which may be more of a natural cycle than man-made anyway.

Monsanto belongs to Bayer now.

Show Spoiler
    :discohitler:

• Shit Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. Repulsive Arcane

Repulsive
    Parrots:
    Any solutions?

^ Top  
  23. Sykar Arcane

Sykar
    Parrots:
    It is not "maybe". It is a natural phenomenon, we are just accelerating it and the dangers of us not being able to compensate for via technology it is real.
    Get your head out of your rear.

• retadred retadred x 3
    ^ Top  
  24. Make America Great Again Lady Error Arcane

Lady Error
    Parrots:
    :hmmm:

• retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. GarlandExCon Arcane

GarlandExCon
    Parrots:
    I'm sure there's someone out there that likes killing babies.

• Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)