Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

LawBreakers - Cliff Bleszinski's failed multiplayer shooter

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Despite what you seem to believe, your "I'll just wait and see" stance is not more reasonable or balanced than the outright negativity in this thread. In fact, it's functionally the same, and only differs in presentation.

Bullshit. The people I'm ragging on are those with completely closed minds, or who at least pretend to have closed minds for the sake of kkk kredits. If you doubt he can do something awesome but wait and see because you never know, then yes, you and I are of identical mindset.

Destroid

Arcane
I liked UT99 the most out of all the deathmatch shooters. I don't think the later incarnations added anything good (especially vehicles were pretty bad), and found Q3 a bit bland in comparison to UTs alt-fire and general weirdness.

DefJam101

Arcane
I hope it ends in a spectacular failure. Like Shootmania.

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE SPOOOOOOOOOOORTSSSSSS
just fyi the reason shootmania failed horribly is because people interested in "e-sports" have no interest in a shitty stripped down unstrategic knockoff of the games they want to play

edit: and the people playing halo and cod for thousands of dollars are going to keep playing halo and cod, because that's where the money is

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Guess who's back.
cliffebjt3.png

Wonder if this mean new info about Unreal.
Or just joke...

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...starts-studio-with-guerrilla-games-co-founder

Cliff Bleszinki starts studio with Guerrilla Games co-founder
Introducing Boss Key Productions.

Gears of War lead designer Cliff Bleszinski announced earlier this week that he's coming out of retirement and now he's revealed his new studio: a startup called Boss Key Productions that he's launching with Guerrilla Games co-founder Arjan Brussee.

The new indie outfit launched its webpage earlier today and while it's recently been edited to just include a logo, an earlier version of the site linked to Bleszinski's Twitter account. In turn, Bleszinski retweeted Boss Key's cryptic "soon" tweet, then suggested people follow the new studio in a Follow Friday mention.

Furthermore, a document filed in late April with the North Carolina Department of the Secretary of State (via Polygon) listed Bleszinki as the company's CEO, while Guerrilla Games co-founder Arjan Brussee was listed as the COO.

jpg

Given Bleszinski and Brussee's background, how much do you want to bet that its first game will be a shooter?

Brussee was one of the prime people behind launching the Killzone franchise and as of two years ago he started working as an executive producer at Visceral Games, where he helped develop Battlefield 3's End Game DLC and is currently working on Battlefield: Hardline. He also collaborated with Bleszinski on the Jazz Jackrabbit series in the mid 90s.

We're still not sure what Boss Key is making, but Bleszinski launched a countdown timer to the announcement of his next project. It's set to end on 8th July at 5pm UK time.

We've sent a query to Boss Key asking to get an idea of the company's size, but have yet to hear back. We'll update as we find out more.

Last edited:

Baron Dupek

Arcane
> Nexon
> #UnlockTheFun

Nothing to see here, move along.

They've signed:
-Dirty Bomb (Enemy Territory successor by Splash Damage)
-Brian Reynold's new company (Brian Reynolds was the lead designer on Alpha Centauri and Civ II)
-John Schappert's new company
-Human Element by fourzerotwo's new studio
-A new f2p title by the devs of Sleeping Dogs
-And now this
should do little research.

And yeah, Nexon owner - Tencent - is bigger than EA and Acti. Diary Farmers Competition, like hell...

Last edited:

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
UT2004 is one of the best multiplayer shooters ever

it's not hardcore MLG pro like quake nor is it as refined as UT99 but for sheer 32 and 64-player hilarity it was, and still is, totally unmatched

No real shooters have come close to the enormity and anarchy that was UT2004 - also, it was optimized that even on a bad computer/connection I would regularly get sub 30 pings + high framerates. A technical marvel. The feeling of decapitating a small crowd with a Manta or driving a fully staffed leviathan into an enemy base. Good times.

chestburster

Savant
Illiterate
Skill based arena shooters don't mesh well with F2P. Set skill ceiling too high, gear becomes inconsequential thus nobody wants to pay money for the gear and low-skill players are constantly scared away until eventually the game becomes a graveyard and because F2P games rely extensively on critical mass of player numbers, the game eventually fails. --See Tribes Ascend.

Set skill ceiling too low, it's essentially become another COD. And there are hundreds of F2P COD clones.

Inb4 CliffyB fails and whines about "PC gaming is dead!" again.

Dr Tomo

Learned
Nexon acquires minority stake in Gears of War designer's new games company
Japanese video game maker Nexon has acquired a minority stake in Boss Key Productions, a new video game studio headed by a developer behind the hit Gears of War action title, and will publish its first game.

Boss Key, headed by veteran game designer Cliff Bleszinski, said in a statement that Nexon has retained a minority stake in its company and exclusive publishing and marketing rights its first game, codenamed BlueStreak. The terms of the deal were not disclosed.

The deal brings Nexon a step further into the US video game market, which it has been focused on for some time. The 20-year-old company, which pioneered a business model in which gamers can download titles initially for free, recently promoted former Electronic Arts executive Owen Mahoney to CEO and announced new titles aimed at American audiences.

Nexon has also recently invested in other American game makers, including Rumble Entertainment, which makes an action adventure game called Kings Road.

For Bleszinski, Boss Key represents his latest effort at making games after leading development of popular titles such as Gears of War and Unreal Tournament at Epic Games. He'd taken a break from video game development in 2012.

Bleszinski said in a statement that Nexon's expertise making games that are initially free to play made the deal attractive. "Creating fun and memorable shooters is in my DNA, and making the move to free-to-play games is all about maximizing the potential audience for your title while embracing where the industry is headed," he said.

We might all be surprised and the game doesn't end up like Warface.

*source

Perkel

Arcane
So worthless bum obsessed with bad design and money makes a new game ?

Let me guess. F2P.

Dr Tomo

Learned

Let me guess. F2P.

With Nexon yes always f2p and actually not worthless as that is "closed minded", Cliffy B is more of a a washed out designer like Warren Spector and can't accept fading to obscurity like Nolan Bushnell.

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign

Let me guess. F2P.

Hahah and there it is. He didn't come back to make an arena shooter. He came back to try and get rich.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom