Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

"Classic RPGs Forever" panel at PAX Prime 2015

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Swen brought his own camera crew (although "crew" is probably a strong word ;)). I don't know if he recorded the whole panel though.

YES:

Shame it's just audio.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Comments:

Annie is a size queen.

Adam likes Mass Effect even though he thinks it's a movie.

Mitch says freedom is expensive.

Swen loves systems.

Josh still hates Bioware-style meaningless flavor dialogue.

Adam Heine played new RPGs (ME, NWN2) for the first time after joining the Torment team and was disappointed in the de-emphasis on choice.

Annie tried to sell Dead State to fans of Fallout, XCOM, and Jagged Alliance (and failed).

Swen really hated having D:OS compared to Diablo so much that he accepted the IGN guy who called it a modern day BG2.

The moderator claimed that there's a steampunk RPG being made now which is a damned lie.

"There's a lot of grognards who will let us know if we're stepping outside the boundaries"--Josh Sawyer

Bobby Null, the lead level designer of PoE, is the biggest grog at Obsidian. Didn't show in the encounter design. :)

Annie's really desperate with the Romero namedrops.

Mitch thinks Batman Arkham Asylum is a RPG which is wrong.

Josh doesn't want to argue about what is or isn't a RPG but would not want to make a game with a main character whose personality you can't define.

Annie says she had to make peace with all the features they couldn't have in Dead State (e.g. cover).

Swen asked if anyone's ever shipped a game on time and New Vegas and Hong Kong were. :)

Every time Adam flies to inXile, something of his gets cut.

"If we can't do it well, we're going to cut it"--Adam Heine

Mitch wants people to be emotionally engaged ten years later.

Since there wasn't much dialogue in Dead State, the levels had to tell the story (over and over and over again).

Josh had to use New Vegas as an example while acknowledging it isn't ~classic~.

In D:OS 2 if you kill the ghost you have to go to the underworld to get info.

Adam's favorite RPG is Torment or Banner Saga (...).

Swen: Ultima 7 and Serpent Isle.

Josh Sawyer: Darklands (Swen knows he's streaming), Pool of Radiance, Fallout 1.

Mitch: Eye of the Beholder (which he calls Gold Box...) (...).

Annie: Something that sounded like iovola 2 (???) and Fallout.

The first question-asker (chairwoman of a LARP [...]) thanked them for having a woman on the panel ("It's her panel.") (...) and then asked them some bullshit about LARPing (...) and balance ("I got this"--Josh [he didn't actually say this])

Some troper asked them what tropes they would ban.

Annie: Waking up in jail.

Swen: Collect-a-thons.

Adam: Fighting rats, bats, snakes, spiders.

Mitch: Breaking barrels, and bikini armor.

Josh: Just wants to see some used less.

Community feedback:

"User-generated content was a horrible idea,"--Swen Vincke (would be added to my sig if there was room)

"We tried to say yes to as many things as possible and that was stupid,"--Mitch Gitelman

Josh had to use New Vegas as an example again when it comes to reactivity. Something tells me he's not all that into PoE?

Some nerdlinger hates it when only the first sentence is voiced.

Swen claims D:OS:EE has 88,000 lines of dialogue, but I'm skeptical about that considering it only had 1.5 writers (and this would place it above Dragon Age Inquisition which holds the current record)

Josh says rtwp went by the wayside because of consoles and to appeal to a wider audience.

Last question: "What happened to Wizardry?" "IT'S GONE!" :lol:

Adam tried to salve the wound by saying maybe Bard's Tale IV would scratch that itch but we know that isn't true. FFS a perfect opportunity to namedrop Grimoire lost.

Shammy

Learned
Solid panel all around, if nothing than for the insight given for the panelists. Some stupid questions from the audience but overall it was nice. :)

Mustawd

Solid panel all around, if nothing than for the insight given for the panelists. Some stupid questions from the audience but overall it was nice. :)

Disappointed some of the more interesting questions were glossed over at the end.

"What happened to Wizardry[-style games] is a great question in a classic CRPG panel discussion.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Bobby Null, the lead level designer of PoE, is the biggest grog at Obsidian.
ITT we learned that Josh purged grognards so hard that PoE's fucking level designer is the biggest one around now... sounds like saying "PoE is the best Baldur's Gate clone of the year!"

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Grognards were never a big part of Obsidian's culture. People joined the company mostly for the storytelling. George Ziets being a writer a bit groggier than the rest was more of a coincidence.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Grognards were never a big part of Obsidian's culture. People joined the company mostly for the storytelling. George Ziets being a writer a bit groggier than the rest was more of a coincidence.

What's groggy about George Ziets?

The spirit eater mechanic? He ended up regretting that so...

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite

His favorite game is BG2, with MotB he was trying to make something BG2-esque, and on DS3 he disagreed with Chapman and MacLean's gamey approach to character systems (he wanted it to be more like the original games i.e. "If it had been up to me, I probably would have tried to be truer to the original IP, implemented an even more simplistic narrative, and focused all our efforts on making an updated game that was fully in the spirit of the original.").

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Uh, I'm not sure the original Dungeon Siege games were particularly "groggy" (I'm not sure what I would call them, tbh) but maybe you're using an expanded definition of the term.

The thing about MotB trying to be BG2-esque is very weird, I wish we could talk to him and dig into that.

Athelas

Arcane
Uh, I'm not sure the original Dungeon Siege games were particularly "groggy" (I'm not sure what I would call them, tbh) but maybe you're using an expanded definition of the term.

The thing about MotB trying to be BG2-esque is very weird, I wish we could talk to him and dig into that.
BG2 is about a character awakening in a strange land and finding himself wrestling with a malevolent force inside him as the result of a god's wrongdoing.

MotB is about a character awakening in a strange land and finding himself wrestling with a malevolent force inside him as the result of a god's wrongdoing.

Of course, the ways in which the games tackle this concept are so different that they don't feel similar at all. Although I suppose it's somewhat odd since BG2's take on it is functionally identical to the 'chosen one' thing almost every RPG does.

Last edited:

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space

His favorite game is BG2, with MotB he was trying to make something BG2-esque, and on DS3 he disagreed with Chapman and MacLean's gamey approach to character systems (he wanted it to be more like the original games i.e. "If it had been up to me, I probably would have tried to be truer to the original IP, implemented an even more simplistic narrative, and focused all our efforts on making an updated game that was fully in the spirit of the original.").

He also said on ask.fm that a lack of Combat XP for PoE made him hate fighting things and want to avoid it as much as possible.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Annie's point starting from around 46:50 is very insightful.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Oh my, the host's response to that last question was rude, wasn't it? Nice save from Adam.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom