Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware CLANG - Realistic fencing kickstarter game is dead

Sul

Savant
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/260688528/clang
The guy want to make a realistic fencing game where the player can expand it with user created content. Also, he looks very :monocle:

Notice Gabe and Half-Life 3 reference at 3:02.

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
I wonder how he's going to balance shit like huge claymores being wielded by 10 year old boys who've snorted a bowl of oreos
if you cap the max speed, you're going to get buff mcbravehearts going on youtube showing that they can do it and saying their skillz aren't being roleplayed, if you don't then you're going to get the equivalent of a button masher winning over a guy who knows how to do all the moves

also that video doesn't have the gabe reference, that'll be in the pitch video, this one has the actual explanations and shit instead of the lulzy intro pitch with lots of concept fluff that they like to do these days

in before miyamoto musashi dlc with authentic boat oar

Esquilax

Arcane
I fucking love this idea and I have to say that this is probably the best, most charismatic sales pitch I've seen on Kickstarter.

Overboard

Arcane
Wonder how they're going to work in the footwork though, which is just as important as the sword swinging bit, not to mention ringen when you're up close.

zeitgeist

Magister
No point in making this (as a game, not just proof of concept) yet. Focusing on traditional input (either mouse/keyboard or dual analog sticks) could actually result in a decent game. This won't.

Also, I'm pretty sure Stephenson has more than enough money to fund his silly hobbies on his own.

PorkaMorka

Arcane
Don't support this, it uses motion controls. Like the Kinect or Wii controller.

Kz3r0

Arcane
Really, it was about time that someone realized that the practical application of this game will look like this:
wii.jpg

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
No point in making this (as a game, not just proof of concept) yet. Focusing on traditional input (either mouse/keyboard or dual analog sticks) could actually result in a decent game. This won't.

Tell me again how much fun it was to dual wield with mouse in Die by the Sword.

Traditional controls are shit for realistic sword fighting.

Kraszu

Prophet

And waving a remote is really better? The remote can't detect how much mass you had put behind a strike, it won't be blocked when your sword is blocked ingame, all the input that you get get from remote is speed and direction (and speed must be limited by physics ingame anyway or it would be ridiculous) that doesn't seem better then then k/m.

zeitgeist

Magister

Was it done as good as it could possibly be done in DbtS? Is there no way it could be improved? I don't think so. For me, DbtS was simply an interesting start of something that should've been developed more in games to come.

Anyway, take that new Tony Hawk's skateboard controller for example. One would think that it would improve the game somehow, yet it's a complete failure, because it's impossible to emulate physical feedback that feels as if though you're doing the real thing, and the clash between the need to actually perform some physical movements, and the fact that they're not quite (or not at all) the ones you'd make if you were doing it for real, makes the whole experience much better on a regular controller.

Note that this doesn't apply nearly as much to something like Guitar Hero, where you simply press buttons and such.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
And waving a remote is really better? The remote can't detect how much mass you had put behind a strike, it won't be blocked when your sword is blocked ingame, all the input that you get get from remote is speed and direction (and speed must be limited by physics ingame anyway or it would be ridiculous) that doesn't seem better then then k/m.

Uh, yes?

Even something as basic as wiimote can...

pry-wiimote.gif

Now compare that to a standard mouse. Sure, you can expand the possibilities by including mouse buttons to the motion, but you'd still be very much limited. Now add a shield or a second weapon on your other hand to the equation...

For about every other kind of gaming I prefer traditional mouse+keyboard, but for hard core fencing that simply does not work at all.

As for your movement being not blocked by ingame parry...

http://www.cs.washington.edu/homes/sidhant/docs/GyroTab.pdf

Very much do-able. Prohibitively expensive for mass market production so far, but for a luxury item...

Kz3r0

Arcane
Considering the interest it elicited and that it's racking in cash I added it to the Action Adventure section.

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
To make this truly great they need to work in that armor+shield system with weak spots, destructable, multi-state per-area resistance to blunt/piercing/slashing forces and any movement restrictions.

You know what dudes I bet the numbers will fucking rocket if they show off a dual wielding video for the newshit fantasy fans

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Will I be able to play without a special controller?

We will build a keyboard/mouse interface, if for no other reason than we need it for testing and development. You can use it if you want, but it kind of misses the point. The “value added” of CLANG is the ability to play a sword game by moving the controller in pretty much the same way that a real swordfighter would move a real sword.

herp.

Do note, this is not a game project per se, but a project for building the technology that can be implemented in games. Unity game engine, it seems.

PorkaMorka

Arcane

They only ever made a couple games that tried to do semi-realistic sword fighting with traditional controls. They've barely scratched the surface of experimenting with how it could be controlled.

It's a bit early to give up on it and conclude that going full retard with the Wiimote is the only viable option.

Menckenstein

Lunacy of Caen: Todd Reaver
I guess nobody here is familiar enough with Neal Stephenson's work to know what a ridiculous perfectionist/researchtard he is?

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Nobody comments on the 500.000$ goal? For a simple arena based "game"? This seems ridiculous. And unrealistic since he wont get that much, thats for sure.

Albers

Educated
That's not Gabe is it? Just a guy they found that looks like Gabe?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom