Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Clandestine - stealth spy game from the Logic Artists

Menckenstein

Lunacy of Caen: Todd Reaver
AP had the worst stealth in any game ever so hopefully it's nothing like AP but it does look like some shit so it can't be too far off.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
AP's stealth was stapled onto the gameplay after they had already blocked out the levels. Not unlike Wasteland 2 in a way. :)

Does this have to be played in co-op? Because that's a deal-killer for me right there.

Tigranes

Arcane
AP stealth run is pretty damn fun if you're working with modded LOS / noise / etc parameters, and don't use higher end abilities where you become magic ninja for 30 seconds. Strangely enough, the ability system is one of the weirdest things about the game...

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
AP's stealth was deterministic but unfortunately you got zero feedback in regard to how far an enemy could see or hear. Because they never planned to have that feature until Sega forced it on them and it was too late to add anything other than the colored direction-indicator bandage.

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
To me these kind of games live or die by their control schema, movement feel and aiming responsiveness, much like FPS does. Get the movement & aiming good without horrible mouse issues (mouse accel, input lag etc) and you might have me interested.

skuphundaku

Economic devastator, Mk. 11
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2 My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Seems like the Codex didn't have anything to bitch about game-wise lately and it's venting all that pent up edginess.:codexisfor:
To all you losers who hated AP: :mca:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Stealth game with third person view? How retarded.
Oh well, one less game to follow.
Actually the "retarded" thing to do here would be to ignore how well it worked for Splinter Cell and Hitman. Body awareness ftw.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Stealth game with third person view? How retarded.
Oh well, one less game to follow.
Actually the "retarded" thing to do here would be to ignore how well it worked for Splinter Cell and Hitman. Body awareness ftw.

It certainly didn't work for me in the first Splinter Cell game.
Third person can work in simple fighting games, but in a stealth game you should rely as much on hearing as on sight, and as such TPP removes that aspect of gameplay that worked so wonderfully in the Thief games.
Also, it's aggrevating to look at that stupid girl trying to infiltrate a place by stealth, and virtually lighting up the place with her pale skin and flaming red hair. Only thing missing is a torchlight. I guess Cate Archer in NOLF was equally stupid, but you don't notice it when it's First Person.

Silva

Arcane
octavius said:
It certainly didn't work for me in the first Splinter Cell game.
Third person can work in simple fighting games, but in a stealth game you should rely as much on hearing as on sight, and as such TPP removes that aspect of gameplay that worked so wonderfully in the Thief games.
The Hitman and Splinter Cell games I played had the hearing aspect covered. You could hear steps, conversation and electronic devices noises from afar, or behind doors and windows, and react accordingly. In fact, this little vid here is enough to bust your argument, since it shows the player finding a noise-making camera (SOUND! HEARING!) and then playing with the ambient sound in the room (SOUND! HEARING!) combined with slow/ hushed movement (SOUND! HEARING!) to pass over the guard:

:dance:

Last edited:

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Silva, I have to admit that doesn't look too bad. At least Sam Fisher is properly camouflaged for the job, unlike "Ygritte" in Clandestine. But the rotating camera means using sound to get your bearings is not that important.

Silva

Arcane
Dont know, sometimes the best camo is the most obvious one.

*sees black ninjad Fisher*

WTF? ALARM! ALARM!

*sees redhead Clandestine girl"

Huh.. oh, come here bitch, I need a head.

Echo Mirage

Arcane
Despite the MGS 4 Meryl Silverburgh getup I'm wondering why a clandestine operative would go on an infiltration mission with an unsuppressed HK mark 23, 45 cal pistol and flash bangs. Especially when the guards are nothing more then civilian blue collar security officers. It seems a bit...conspicuous. But maybe I'm reading into it a bit to much.

Avonaeon

Arcane
Developer
Despite the MGS 4 Meryl Silverburgh getup I'm wondering why a clandestine operative would go on an infiltration mission with an unsuppressed HK mark 23, 45 cal pistol and flash bangs. Especially when the guards are nothing more then civilian blue collar security officers. It seems a bit...conspicuous. But maybe I'm reading into it a bit to much.
That's just what happened to be equipped when we took the screenshots. There'll be attachments for the weapons when it makes sense.

DeepOcean

Arcane
That's just what happened to be equipped when we took the screenshots. There'll be attachments for the weapons when it makes sense.
What is the approach of you guys in terms of level design?Are they going to be linear and small or are going to be more complex? The game is gonna be more actiony or is gonna be slower and more methodical? I'm asking that because there is a huge lack of truly demanding stealth games and I really despise the actiony direction Splinter Cell gone after Chaos Theory. I really want: to go from ground level and get up and up on a progressively complex building with alot of routs, worring about patrols, cameras, motion detectors, getting some file and activating the alarm and getting all the way down even harder. I still remember how lost I got, exploring the fucking huge levels of Thief and I really miss that.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom