Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Clandestine - stealth spy game from the Logic Artists

Avonaeon

Arcane
Developer
Despite the MGS 4 Meryl Silverburgh getup I'm wondering why a clandestine operative would go on an infiltration mission with an unsuppressed HK mark 23, 45 cal pistol and flash bangs. Especially when the guards are nothing more then civilian blue collar security officers. It seems a bit...conspicuous. But maybe I'm reading into it a bit to much.
That's just what happened to be equipped when we took the screenshots. There'll be attachments for the weapons when it makes sense.
What is the approach of you guys in terms of level design?Are they going to be linear and small or are going to be more complex? The game is gonna be more actiony or is gonna be slower and more methodical? I'm asking that because there is a huge lack of truly demanding stealth games and I really despise the actiony direction Splinter Cell gone after Chaos Theory. I really want: to go from ground level and get up and up on a progressively complex building with alot of routs, worring about patrols, cameras, motion detectors, getting some file and activating the alarm and getting all the way down even harder. I still remember how lost I got, exploring the fucking huge levels of Thief and I really miss that.

It's definitely going to be bigger and complex levels, rather than small and linear. As far as gameplay, our main inspirations are Thief, Deus Ex, etc., but also Chaos Theory as you mention. We want to make a spy game, not an action game and that means the spy should be able to remain undetected.

skuphundaku

Economic devastator, Mk. 11
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2 My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
It's definitely going to be bigger and complex levels, rather than small and linear. As far as gameplay, our main inspirations are Thief, Deus Ex, etc., but also Chaos Theory as you mention. We want to make a spy game, not an action game and that means the spy should be able to remain undetected.

One of the pertinent questions that arose in this thread was (I'm paraphrasing here) "What's the espionage gameplay going to be like? Beacuse stealth/infiltration is just a part of espionage". There have been quite a few stealth games, but not that many games that are about the whole social aspect of turning people to your cause, using them to achieve your goals etc. That would mean, for me, a spy game. What you're talking about seems more like a stealth game than a spy game.

Avonaeon

Arcane
Developer
There will be a bunch of social engineering, but I was answering specifically toward the stealth aspect. The social engineering takes form in different ways, either through bribes or blackmail that you plan out before the mission, you then activate those assets during the mission. There'll also be an option to enter a mission in "low profile", where you'll be wearing civilian clothes and police/guard/etc. won't be hostile toward you (Unless they catch you doing something bad) and you'll be able to talk to people.

Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
images

dunno lah

Arcane
Please make sure to increase combat lethality. One-hit kills from explosives and a sniper round to the chest.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
I think the most important question hasn't been asked yet.

Will there be katanas?

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Say what you want about Codex patrons being hard to please and more selective about modern games, I'll buy damn near anything that's stealth-based. I'm stealth's fucking bitch.

Like the sound of the heavy spy vibe. I'd love to be sneaking into offices to take pictures of documents and that kind of shit. Gives me a fucking hard on.

ColCol

Arcane
I can't buy this game unless it has one character inexplicably powered up by cocaine.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Uplink was a pretty cool game. I wonder if the hacker will be traced or anything like that. Fail states for the agent seem pretty obvious, but I wonder if there will be any for the hacker, and what those would be.

Silva

Arcane
Say what you want about Codex patrons being hard to please and more selective about modern games, I'll buy damn near anything that's stealth-based. I'm stealth's fucking bitch.

Like the sound of the heavy spy vibe. I'd love to be sneaking into offices to take pictures of documents and that kind of shit. Gives me a fucking hard on.

Raise a hand if you think Dalekflay lurked on his bitch cousin to see her tits.

Last edited:

Avonaeon

Arcane
Developer
Uplink was a pretty cool game. I wonder if the hacker will be traced or anything like that. Fail states for the agent seem pretty obvious, but I wonder if there will be any for the hacker, and what those would be.

Uplink is probably the biggest inspiration when it comes to the hacker gameplay. We won't have tracing exactly like they did in Uplink; instead there'll be an admin monitoring the networks you connect to, where you'll have to avoid raising suspicion.

likaq

Arcane
Jonas Wæver said:
We will have no boss battles (because I hate boss battles), our stealth is going to be quite nuanced and absolutely central to the play experience, our firefights are going to be extremely lethal, and our dialogue options will be printed in full just like in Conquistador.

There will probably be timers on certain dialogue options, but it won't be a general thing - just when it makes sense :)

:bounce::yeah:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom