Tacticular Cancer: We'll have your balls

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

CKII is released.

Discussion in 'Strategy Gaming' started by Trash, Feb 14, 2012.

1. Flying Spaghetti Monster Arcane

Flying Spaghetti Monster
    Click here and disable ads!
    I agree, or at least some geographic Empires (Scandanavia, Great Britain, etc.)
    ^ Top  
  2. Dicksmoker Augur

Dicksmoker
    That would be correct. Should I have?
    ^ Top  
  3. Vaarna_Aarne Ask me about anime Patron

Vaarna_Aarne
    MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
    Teh horror. It would be a living hell to manage an empire, even the step from a Duchy to a Kingdom made things heat up a lot inside the Realm.

I have the assburgers to truly appreciate Vicky 2, but I say CK2 is the best game Paradox has ever made.

Also bros, I'd say CK2 has the best province value system Paradox has made so fa, and the most balanced one. No more arbitrary base tax values that force you to conquest or hunting for neighbours pops/coal, since the new Holding mechanics allow you build up provinces with a lot more freedom and allows for smaller countries to build up a strong powerbase. Still no HoI3 combat though, which makes numbers as important as ever, though the intensity and large-scale nature of the warfare (+ more limited manpower) does mean strategy is way more important than in Vicky 2 and EU3.
    ^ Top  
  4. Spectacle Arcane Patron

Spectacle
    MCA
    If we could get a CK game with Mount&Blade combat, I wouldn't need to buy another game for a couple of years.
    schluberlubs, Krash and Pelvis Knot Brofist this.
    ^ Top  
  5. IDtenT Contact me for a good time Patron

IDtenT
    Divinity: Original Sin
    :hmmm:
    That would be amazing.
    ^ Top  
  6. Flying Spaghetti Monster Arcane

Flying Spaghetti Monster
    Maybe it's me, but I kind of prefer the more abstract nature of the combat. Actually, I know it's me, but still.
    ^ Top  
  7. CrimsonAngel Savant Patron

CrimsonAngel
    Project: Eternity
    So my ruler at the moment is all kinds of fucked up.

He killed his Nephew to get on the throne and because the queen who was in charge was to old i had to accept it.
    Now that is all fine because he is of my Dynasty and a good ruler, but he has so far impregnate 2 of this brothers wives and also tried to get into the pants of his daughter, but was shot down.

So now he is in a desperate fight vs Finland and his giant army Merc's because the bastard could not keep his dick in his pants.
    ^ Top  
  8. Flying Spaghetti Monster Arcane

Flying Spaghetti Monster
    And I agree Vaarna on the province system. I would kind of prefer a bit more uniqueness to the whole thing, but ultimately it's not a big deal.

Oh, and question. Is there some culture thing that makes certain type of troops more prevalent in one culture than another? Such as the Normans would have more archers or heavy cavalry while the Norse would rely more on heavy infantry or something like that? Just curious as the Swedes my archer levies seem much smaller than my light and heavy infantry.
    ^ Top  
  9. Flying Spaghetti Monster Arcane

Flying Spaghetti Monster
    That's awesome...
    ^ Top  
  10. Luzur Prestigious Gentleman Good Sir

Luzur
    well i have the option to create the Kingdom of Finland while owning the Kingdoms of Sweden and Denmark, so if i take Norway i am not allowed to create a new and bigger Kalmar union (or in this case Åbo Union since i moved my capitol to Åbo when i became Duke of Finland) or Scandinavia?

kinda sucks.

also, just to humor Vaarna abit i used to very often take over pagan Finland bit by bit as a independant Duke of Norrland and then make myself the King of Finland and turn around and grab Sweden. :smug:
    ^ Top  
  11. Merkwürdigliebe Magister

Merkwürdigliebe
    Well I actually purchased a boxed copy of the game after some consideration. Even though it was considerably cheaper than the usual outrageous prices of Steam and other such download services (25 vs 40 euro). Now I'm sort of regretting this decision as I will have to wait for a en entire week or more for it to arrive. :(
    I like this idea, it always bothered me in CK 1 that even if I become extremely powerful one could not become a King with out holding certain arbitrary territories. Such in one game when I started out as the Duke of Brandenburg, and after a series of wars managed to break free from the HRE and to conquer Mecklenburg, Pommern, Prussia as well as parts of Poland and Saxony. All in all I was more powerful than many kings, however was stuck as a lowly Duke simply because I didn't hold a certain historical territory. I would really like if once one was powerful enough one could create a Kingdom title similar to how one can go up a rank in EU III. After all a kingdom isn't a specific area ordained by God and any other territory can not be one.

Any way would there be any interest in a pagan LP attempting to spread Norse paganism to Europe?
    ^ Top  
  12. Malakal Arcane

Malakal
    I would hate the introduction of any kind of fpp/tpp combat. That would take a lot of strategy out of the game in favor of pop a mole super heroes slaughtering thousands of enemies singlehandely.

About the Empire stuff:
    there was ONE Empire in Europe and it was Roman Empire. Then it kinda split into two and thats as much as medieval mind could accept. Since to call yourself an Emperor you had to be comparable to the Roman Emperor, not a half illiterate "king" of unimportant dirtholes like Sweden Finland Poland or England. You cant CREATE title of that level since its supposed to be universal - one man to rule them all (well, two men for two parts of chirstendom).
    ^ Top  
  13. Flying Spaghetti Monster Arcane

Flying Spaghetti Monster
    Interesting point, and honestly I'm not educated enough about the time period to debate you on the point, so I'll concede it. However, at some point the change DID happen. Ivan IV in Russia did it not long after the period in this game, obviously the Spanish did it as well, as did other large kingdoms that presided over multi-ethnic communities. If you end up conquering a large, multi-ethnic Empire, change history! That's the one issue I kind of have with Pdox right now... they put you in the sandbox and let you change history, but they only allow flavorful stuff (Empire names, etc.) along a roughly historical path. Let's concede that there can only be one Western Empire... if I get powerful enough, why can't I wrest that title away from the HRE? A war for the title if not the geographical area? Almost a hegemonic type of thing.

Or if the term Empire is such a hiccup, why not "Kingdom of Greater Scandanavia" or "Greater Britain" or something ahistoric but still notates the higher status?
    ^ Top  
  14. Luzur Prestigious Gentleman Good Sir

Luzur
    yeah, more naming options would be nice, like family/dynasty name etc.

all i can really name now is the names of children.
    ^ Top  
  15. Smashing Axe Cipher Patron

Smashing Axe
    Sounds fun, you'd have to LARP it a whole lot though due to the lack of content for non-Christians. If you're willing to do it, I'd follow attentively.
    ^ Top  
  16. Malakal Arcane

Malakal
    Russia inherited the Imperial title from Byzantium - Russian Tsar even married the daughter of one of the Emperors, this is why Russia styled itself as the Third Rome.

Other Empires (Austrian, French, German) are way out of the timeframe, when the idea of the universal Empire was long dead and buried.

Of course I would fully support the creation of new kingdoms and even duchies in a dynamic manner. You get the crown (from the emperor or Pope) and recognition and you are there.
    ^ Top  
  17. Smashing Axe Cipher Patron

Smashing Axe
    Is there any point to having a duchy if you don't have a county in the area? What's the benefit of having the title? What does it do?
    ^ Top  
  18. curry Prophet

curry
    Don't having a Duchy require you to have a county in the Duchy?
    ^ Top  
  19. Flying Spaghetti Monster Arcane

Flying Spaghetti Monster
    Prestige and votes in elective inheritance and for laws.
    ^ Top  
  20. Trash Simply fabulous

Trash
    Well, the points I mentioned in the preview still bug me. No province wide improvements like toll bridge, roads, wood mill and the like. The penalties are also quite limited. No way for a province to decline or a city/church/castle to be razed down. Everything just keeps improving even with neverending war going on. Not much in the way of combat events. Mayor kingdoms like France are both too stable and should have way lower crown authority. In fact, improving crown authority should be way harder. Succesfull burgher/peasant rebellions should have more impact than just rebels holding a province. What about installing a civilian government if a city or an independent county if a castle? I also miss being able to tell the pope where to send the next crusade. Nobles seem rather strong and healthy in general atm. In the preview version a good round of tuberculosis would clean out my court pretty well. Shame they cut back on that. Oh, and in general more ambitions and plots are needed.

Despite all that, I'm absolutely loving this game. Can't wait to see how it will shape up after some patches, expansions and good mods.
    ^ Top  
  21. Vaarna_Aarne Ask me about anime Patron

Vaarna_Aarne
    MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
    Bollocks, there's plenty of fun to go around even without popery. I'll eventually post a "mini-LP" about my ongoing grand campaign as the High Chief of Karelia (nowadays King of Finland).
    ^ Top  
  22. Quilty Liturgist

Quilty
    Played a game as the king of France, dicked around in Spain until the rebels kicked me out, and then noticed a weak spot in HRE. Managed to convince the Pope to let me invade HRE, which was getting torn apart from the inside. It took a year of fighting, but now I'm the emperor of HRE. I've got a horrible 48/6 demesne size, my empire stretches from France to Russia, but everyone hates me and is declaring war on me, and it looks like I'll lose the title after I die because no one will back me up. My version of HRE is pretty much a clusterfuck of codexian proportions.
    ^ Top  
  23. Trash Simply fabulous

Trash
    And I want to stress how irritated I am at the increased health and decreased chances for dead there seems to be with the nobles. In CK1 I considered myself lucky if half my kids reached adulthood and if my noble then made it past 40. Now almost all the brats seem to be growing up just fine and my nobles all die comfortably in their 70's. Not to mention that the different plagues are not even close to the lethality they had before. This is way too easy!
    ^ Top  
  24. Flying Spaghetti Monster Arcane

Flying Spaghetti Monster
    Agreed... my king is 66 years old and all of his sons are still alive (except for the one that met with an unfortunate... accident). Stability of large kingdoms is also a problem.
    ^ Top  
  25. Trash Simply fabulous

Trash
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above links helps us pay the hosting bills)