Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

CKII is released.

And I agree Vaarna on the province system. I would kind of prefer a bit more uniqueness to the whole thing, but ultimately it's not a big deal.

Oh, and question. Is there some culture thing that makes certain type of troops more prevalent in one culture than another? Such as the Normans would have more archers or heavy cavalry while the Norse would rely more on heavy infantry or something like that? Just curious as the Swedes my archer levies seem much smaller than my light and heavy infantry.

So my ruler at the moment is all kinds of fucked up.

He killed his Nephew to get on the throne and because the queen who was in charge was to old i had to accept it.
Now that is all fine because he is of my Dynasty and a good ruler, but he has so far impregnate 2 of this brothers wives and also tried to get into the pants of his daughter, but was shot down.

So now he is in a desperate fight vs Finland and his giant army Merc's because the bastard could not keep his dick in his pants.
That's awesome...

Luzur

Good Sir
They should really allow you to create your own empire when you have more than one Kingdom. Expansion idea? :smug:
I agree, or at least some geographic Empires (Scandanavia, Great Britain, etc.)

well i have the option to create the Kingdom of Finland while owning the Kingdoms of Sweden and Denmark, so if i take Norway i am not allowed to create a new and bigger Kalmar union (or in this case Åbo Union since i moved my capitol to Åbo when i became Duke of Finland) or Scandinavia?

kinda sucks.

also, just to humor Vaarna abit i used to very often take over pagan Finland bit by bit as a independant Duke of Norrland and then make myself the King of Finland and turn around and grab Sweden. :smug:

Well I actually purchased a boxed copy of the game after some consideration. Even though it was considerably cheaper than the usual outrageous prices of Steam and other such download services (25 vs 40 euro). Now I'm sort of regretting this decision as I will have to wait for a en entire week or more for it to arrive. :(
They should really allow you to create your own empire when you have more than one Kingdom. Expansion idea? :smug:
I agree, or at least some geographic Empires (Scandanavia, Great Britain, etc.)

I like this idea, it always bothered me in CK 1 that even if I become extremely powerful one could not become a King with out holding certain arbitrary territories. Such in one game when I started out as the Duke of Brandenburg, and after a series of wars managed to break free from the HRE and to conquer Mecklenburg, Pommern, Prussia as well as parts of Poland and Saxony. All in all I was more powerful than many kings, however was stuck as a lowly Duke simply because I didn't hold a certain historical territory. I would really like if once one was powerful enough one could create a Kingdom title similar to how one can go up a rank in EU III. After all a kingdom isn't a specific area ordained by God and any other territory can not be one.

Any way would there be any interest in a pagan LP attempting to spread Norse paganism to Europe?

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
If we could get a CK game with Mount&Blade combat, I wouldn't need to buy another game for a couple of years.
Maybe it's me, but I kind of prefer the more abstract nature of the combat. Actually, I know it's me, but still.

I would hate the introduction of any kind of fpp/tpp combat. That would take a lot of strategy out of the game in favor of pop a mole super heroes slaughtering thousands of enemies singlehandely.

About the Empire stuff:
there was ONE Empire in Europe and it was Roman Empire. Then it kinda split into two and thats as much as medieval mind could accept. Since to call yourself an Emperor you had to be comparable to the Roman Emperor, not a half illiterate "king" of unimportant dirtholes like Sweden Finland Poland or England. You cant CREATE title of that level since its supposed to be universal - one man to rule them all (well, two men for two parts of chirstendom).

About the Empire stuff:
there was ONE Empire in Europe and it was Roman Empire. Then it kinda split into two and thats as much as medieval mind could accept. Since to call yourself an Emperor you had to be comparable to the Roman Emperor, not a half illiterate "king" of unimportant dirtholes like Sweden Finland Poland or England. You cant CREATE title of that level since its supposed to be universal - one man to rule them all (well, two men for two parts of chirstendom).

Interesting point, and honestly I'm not educated enough about the time period to debate you on the point, so I'll concede it. However, at some point the change DID happen. Ivan IV in Russia did it not long after the period in this game, obviously the Spanish did it as well, as did other large kingdoms that presided over multi-ethnic communities. If you end up conquering a large, multi-ethnic Empire, change history! That's the one issue I kind of have with Pdox right now... they put you in the sandbox and let you change history, but they only allow flavorful stuff (Empire names, etc.) along a roughly historical path. Let's concede that there can only be one Western Empire... if I get powerful enough, why can't I wrest that title away from the HRE? A war for the title if not the geographical area? Almost a hegemonic type of thing.

Or if the term Empire is such a hiccup, why not "Kingdom of Greater Scandanavia" or "Greater Britain" or something ahistoric but still notates the higher status?

Luzur

Good Sir
yeah, more naming options would be nice, like family/dynasty name etc.

all i can really name now is the names of children.

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Any way would there be any interest in a pagan LP attempting to spread Norse paganism to Europe?
Sounds fun, you'd have to LARP it a whole lot though due to the lack of content for non-Christians. If you're willing to do it, I'd follow attentively.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
About the Empire stuff:

Interesting point, and honestly I'm not educated enough about the time period to debate you on the point, so I'll concede it. However, at some point the change DID happen. Ivan IV in Russia did it not long after the period in this game, obviously the Spanish did it as well, as did other large kingdoms that presided over multi-ethnic communities. If you end up conquering a large, multi-ethnic Empire, change history! That's the one issue I kind of have with Pdox right now... they put you in the sandbox and let you change history, but they only allow flavorful stuff (Empire names, etc.) along a roughly historical path. Let's concede that there can only be one Western Empire... if I get powerful enough, why can't I wrest that title away from the HRE? A war for the title if not the geographical area? Almost a hegemonic type of thing.

Or if the term Empire is such a hiccup, why not "Kingdom of Greater Scandanavia" or "Greater Britain" or something ahistoric but still notates the higher status?

Russia inherited the Imperial title from Byzantium - Russian Tsar even married the daughter of one of the Emperors, this is why Russia styled itself as the Third Rome.

Other Empires (Austrian, French, German) are way out of the timeframe, when the idea of the universal Empire was long dead and buried.

Of course I would fully support the creation of new kingdoms and even duchies in a dynamic manner. You get the crown (from the emperor or Pope) and recognition and you are there.

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Is there any point to having a duchy if you don't have a county in the area? What's the benefit of having the title? What does it do?

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Well, the points I mentioned in the preview still bug me. No province wide improvements like toll bridge, roads, wood mill and the like. The penalties are also quite limited. No way for a province to decline or a city/church/castle to be razed down. Everything just keeps improving even with neverending war going on. Not much in the way of combat events. Mayor kingdoms like France are both too stable and should have way lower crown authority. In fact, improving crown authority should be way harder. Succesfull burgher/peasant rebellions should have more impact than just rebels holding a province. What about installing a civilian government if a city or an independent county if a castle? I also miss being able to tell the pope where to send the next crusade. Nobles seem rather strong and healthy in general atm. In the preview version a good round of tuberculosis would clean out my court pretty well. Shame they cut back on that. Oh, and in general more ambitions and plots are needed.

Despite all that, I'm absolutely loving this game. Can't wait to see how it will shape up after some patches, expansions and good mods.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Is there any point to having a duchy if you don't have a county in the area? What's the benefit of having the title? What does it do?
Bollocks, there's plenty of fun to go around even without popery. I'll eventually post a "mini-LP" about my ongoing grand campaign as the High Chief of Karelia (nowadays King of Finland).

Quilty

Magister
Played a game as the king of France, dicked around in Spain until the rebels kicked me out, and then noticed a weak spot in HRE. Managed to convince the Pope to let me invade HRE, which was getting torn apart from the inside. It took a year of fighting, but now I'm the emperor of HRE. I've got a horrible 48/6 demesne size, my empire stretches from France to Russia, but everyone hates me and is declaring war on me, and it looks like I'll lose the title after I die because no one will back me up. My version of HRE is pretty much a clusterfuck of codexian proportions.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
And I want to stress how irritated I am at the increased health and decreased chances for dead there seems to be with the nobles. In CK1 I considered myself lucky if half my kids reached adulthood and if my noble then made it past 40. Now almost all the brats seem to be growing up just fine and my nobles all die comfortably in their 70's. Not to mention that the different plagues are not even close to the lethality they had before. This is way too easy!

And I want to stress how irritated I am at the increased health and decreased chances for dead there seems to be with the nobles. In CK1 I considered myself lucky if half my kids reached adulthood and if my noble then made it past 40. Now almost all the brats seem to be growing up just fine and my nobles all die comfortably in their 70's. Not to mention that the different plagues are not even close to the lethality they had before. This is way too easy!
Agreed... my king is 66 years old and all of his sons are still alive (except for the one that met with an unfortunate... accident). Stability of large kingdoms is also a problem.

Renegen

Arcane
I started a thread on the Paradox forum. Seems it's intentional. Bollocks what a bad design decision. Pop over and give your opinion. Perhaps we might get some dev to pay attention.

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum...nti-biotics-and-modern-healthcare-in-the-game
Meh, I agree with Paradox on this one, somewhat. I want for the purpose of flavor to have people die of diseases, I'm all for that. But at the same time, they just made everyone healthier but reduced their family size. It's not as authentic or epic as being fucked by your 7 healthy sons or having your only child die as an infant, but it cuts on the family bloat. I'll just wait for a mod that makes everything tougher, I really want the plague to exterminate dynasties here.

eric__s

ass hater
Developer
The Holy Roman Emperor thought it would be a great idea to change succession from elective to primogeniture. I didn't like this so I conquered 2/3rds of Germany, became the king of Germany and made my own Holy Roman Empire by making it elective. The only difference is that every single count and duke is a member of my dynasty so I keep playing as king no matter who gets elected ; )

But yeah I think it would be a really nice feature to be able to make new, dynamic empires if you have 3 or more kingdoms. It is seriously frustrating dealing with all 5,000 German dukes and I'd really like to delegate this to a king one tier below me. You could say "why not become Holy Roman Emperor" but I just did all this shit specifically so I wouldn't have to deal with the Holy Roman Empire anymore. I'm about to break free from them!

The one nice thing about being king of Germany under the Holy Roman Empire is that I get all the benefits of high crown authority without the side effect of my vassals hating me - they hate the emperor.

eric__s

ass hater
Developer
The biggest upgrade over CK1 is that you no longer spend 1/3rd of your time searching for potential wives.

Fens

Ford of the Llies
CK1 had an event, where the pope would give you the "emperor" title, no matter what country you were (a big and pious one, obviously), but it wasn't hereditary and it didn't make any real difference gameplay-wise... was still kinda nice

The biggest upgrade over CK1 is that you no longer spend 1/3rd of your time searching for potential wives.
there was a nice list for suitable wives... there wasn't one for suitable husbands, though... finding an unmarried count/duke/king for your daughters was a nightmare

Luzur

Good Sir
there was a nice list for suitable wives... there wasn't one for suitable husbands, though... finding an unmarried count/duke/king for your daughters was a nightmare[/quote]

still is, i still have 2 unmarried daughters in their early thirties i simply cant find noble men for.

Fens

Ford of the Llies
at least you can invite a noble to your court now and make him marry her matrilineally... also: you don't have to wait till sixteen and then outclick the AI to marry the pretenders off

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom