Tacticular Cancer: We'll have your balls

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

CKII is released.

Discussion in 'Strategy Gaming' started by Trash, Feb 14, 2012.

1. eric__sgender: ⚧ ass lover Developer

eric__s
    Parrots:
    Click here and disable ads!
    Once or twice I've seen Hindus conquer parts of Persia, but very little comes out of India because it's bottlenecked tightly at Afghanistan. You need a very strong Punjab to break out, and Persia usually has very strong Abbasids or Seljuks or Mongols. Hopefully Tibet will help because it connects India to other parts of the world instead of just putting it in its own little corner. The reworking of the Middle East and Persia should also help by decentralizing powers. Persia used to be humongous and now it's significantly less so, making its peripheries easier to conquer.

I also frequently see the lower Arabian peninsula fluctuate between Ethiopia and Muslims. The introduction of the Kingdom of Yemen should help whoever has it to hold on longer.

Overall, I've gotta say this Middle East reworking is 10/10.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2017
    ^ Top  
  2. Make America Great Again The Brazilian Slaughtergender: ⚧ Arcane

The Brazilian Slaughter
    Parrots:
    I've seen a big-ass indian power starts eating parts of Persia in my last Zoro game, but that was after I had killed all the local muslim powers in Persia, Afghanistan had been turned into a hindu vs muslims vs buddhists vs me clusterfuck and the Abbasid blob had broken up in pieces.

Did they take out provinces or did they just diminish that HUGE Kingdom of Persia into something smaller?

I have never seen Ethiopians in Arabia. Abbasids and other muslims always run million man trains on it. Perhaps that has changed in the lastest patch, but Ethiopia keeps getting rekt in my games.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Fedora Mastergender: ⚧ Learned

Fedora Master
    Parrots:
    I dislike the Zun gameplay for the established Afghan family buuuuut "acquiring" a Zun concubine as a steppe nomad can be pretty rewarding. :cool:

^ Top  
  4. Makabbgender: ⚧ Arcane Shitposter Bethestard

Makabb
    Parrots:
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. AwesomeButtongender: ⚧ Cut a deal with the authorities Patron

AwesomeButton
    Parrots:
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    I've started a warm-up campaign with Nuernberg on 1.1.1337. Would you say it's a good strategy to bethrothe/marry off (patrilineally or matrilineally) everyone eligible during the first days of the campaign? I usually like to keep a few people unmarried, "in reserve", so to speak. This time however I married everyone I could. I took care not to take spouses with the ambitious trait.

Keeping the family tree slim, or letting it spread both have their advantages and disadvantages. What are your opinions?

^ Top  
  6. I'm With Her Vaarna_Aarnegender: ⚧ for prison Notorious Internet Vandal Patron

Vaarna_Aarne
    Parrots:
    MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
    There is only one marital strategy:

The Kwisatz Haderach

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. AwesomeButtongender: ⚧ Cut a deal with the authorities Patron

AwesomeButton
    Parrots:
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    What does this strategy consist of?

• it is a mystery it is a mystery x 2
    ^ Top  
  8. Make America Great Again Commissar Dracogender: ⚧ KKKodex WCDS Commissar Patron

Commissar Draco
    Parrots:
    Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
    Make as many children as possible and marry them off to distant heiress; while seeking brides for your heir in same duchy/kingdom/Empire; remember you are not RP state here nor a single ruler but dynasty... so having a few lands ruled by your relatives can be game saving when your main line is destroyed by plague or made destitute by foreign invasion. Breeding some super human is funny but A) He is not invulnerable and game with plagues can be brutal and B) its not game about map painting. Just avoid the perks which made your vassal disloyal and you can make Austria/HRE great again with medicare on average rulers. Game is not that hard unless you have misfortune to rule some duchy standing in the way of Turks and such as regular Jihad often gives you option to convert to retain lands (and yes now it can be fake conversation like one Bosniak Nobility did in XIV century).

• Prestigious Prestigious x 2
    ^ Top  
  9. Make America Great Again TheEntitledOnegender: ⚧ Arcane

TheEntitledOne
    Parrots:
    It consists basically in hunting for candiates with inheritable traits and then pray that the RGN God doesnt fuck you over anyway.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2017
    ^ Top  
  10. AwesomeButtongender: ⚧ Cut a deal with the authorities Patron

AwesomeButton
    Parrots:
    So, what I usually do.

What actually worked out very well was how I kept one of my sisters unmarried, "in case of an emergency". I had to decline one offer from some Hansa bigshot, and in a few months the bigshot returned, this time with an offer of 250 gold dowry. This was just what I needed in order to fulfill my ambition to Build a War Chest, so it got me another +10% tax for 3 years. Money follows money.

^ Top  
  11. Delteriusgender: ⚧ Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Delterius
    Parrots:
    Coming back to Crusader Kings II after a year or so was like a crash course in development insanity. Who knew the new and improved 'game rules' window was not so much a convenience but a cautionary warning.

Three hundred years into my jewish Abyssinian Empire game, I've finally converted most of the counties I own and rebuilt the Third Temple. I thought the reason why a bunch of heretics would surface now and again had something to do all the heretics within the Empire. Not so. Turns out half the Sunni Caliphate was secretly Shia. The Ummayads were Catholics all along and so was the Byzantine Empire. The Holy Roman Empire went heretic back and forth and I'm pretty sure the AI Pope is desperately trying to become a Jew.

Quit when my perfect little Merchant Republic vassal went Sunni and wouldn't go back. Got tired of revoking half of my domain due to the Sunni psy-ops.

Fucking hell.

• Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Make America Great Again Average Manateegender: ⚧ Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Average Manatee
    Parrots:
    Classic example of the paradox problem of "if the AI has a button to push, it can either never push it or push it constantly". Seducers would seduce every available female in the realm, schemers would try to kidnap anyone and everyone, and cults constantly spam people in your realm to secretly convert until eventually RNG says they accept.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    • Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Make America Great Again IDtenTgender: ⚧ Contact me for a good time Patron

IDtenT
    Parrots:
    Divinity: Original Sin
    It's almost like real life.

• Edgy Edgy x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Make America Great Again Average Manateegender: ⚧ Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Average Manatee
    Parrots:
    Totally different. Rational people understand risk, paradox AIs just work on the logic of "as soon as a decision can be taken, take it". Programming some basic intelligence to tell the AI when something is a good idea to do is much harder than just setting "AI_will_take = 1 or 0", so Paradox doesn't do it.

• Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  15. AwesomeButtongender: ⚧ Cut a deal with the authorities Patron

AwesomeButton
    Parrots:
    Stupid me. After a year behind the closed fortress gates, while the Black Death raged, I opened them again to prevent getting the Depressed trait. In a year's time much of my family had died of plague as a result. Yet myself and my three oldest children (successors, gavelkind) survived. I was even cured once by my brother who was also the court doctor.

The second time I got ill, I used the special response provided by my having the "Brave" trait, asking my brother to try some innovatove cure. I thought answers to events provided by traits always have better outcomes, lol. It turned out that it's a lottery and the healing method my brother tried was very bad. I died soon after. Now his three sons each rule one of the three counties I had manged to collect under my control, but I never managed to get a ducal title for Bavaria, so the character I'm playin as is again down to one county.

Later, the emperor died of old age, and the title Duke of Bavaria passed to dead character's third son, so my 17 y.o. character is now subordinate to his 7 y.o. brother who is his duke. I guess this is still better than being a count directly subordinated to the emperor.

^ Top  
  16. Make America Great Again The Brazilian Slaughtergender: ⚧ Arcane

The Brazilian Slaughter
    Parrots:
    Anyone has a direct download link to the mod When the Word Stopped Making Sense/WTWSMS?

I'm playing Zoroastrian right now and I have realized a lot the value of having a big dinasty that breeds a lot. Unlike other religions you don't get the luxury of simply calling people from your religion out of relsewhere, so you have to breed your own good conseillors.
    Some advantages:
    - You can breed your own super-concillors, not to mention you can get foreigners with good congenital traits to come in and marry them off to your people to make their offspring superior, then later marry the best subjects into your direct line. Note: Quick and Genius now aparently conflict, so one diminishes the other's likehood.
    - You can marry your daughters and sons (mainly daughters) off for Non-Agression Pacts and Alliances with foreign kings
    - You can marry your daughters to your vassals to get relation bonuses and stop them with NAPs from joining factions.
    - One nice trick if you have agnatic-cognatic or the such, is to find some heir with fat claims angry at daddy or something, invite him to court, matrilinearily marry him to your daughters, then push his claim or kill all the other heirs until he rises to power. Because his marriage is on the mother's line, all his sons will be of your dinasty not his. If his title is inferior, then you can simply land him and push his claim andi inherit his land.

Then you have to think between your law. The good thing about Salic Law is that your daughters are pure alliance fodder and you won't ever have foreign rulers coming for you with claims. On the other hand, no female rulers in case you have no male heirs.

When I played Celtic Tanistry as Britanny, I kept people of my dynasty landless, to avoid one of them becoming a powerful dangerous Tanist and getting my vassals to vote for them. On one hand, my dinasty ended up with a lot of land in France, but that backfired when my dinasty almost died off because I wans't paying attention to breeding

Did you get the latest patch?

Things are better than the insanity of before.

^ Top  
  17. Sranchammergender: ⚧ Arcane

Sranchammer
    Parrots:
    The most interesting games i have are Paulician- Zoro games - they tend to work together against the major powers

^ Top  
  18. Delteriusgender: ⚧ Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Delterius
    Parrots:
    To be fair, I stopped buying DLCs back in Charlemagne so I can't hunt for Secret Societies. But from the looks of it neither will the AI. First time the Ummayads turned Catholic and my humble King of Carthage helped them against a Sunni rebellion was awesome. The fifth wasn't so awesome.

Be me. Restore Zoroastrian Persia. Never marry within the family. The next three generations under Primogeniture are inbred.

Legit as fuck.

Also my first son the last three playthroughs was a spawn of satan. I feel like the game is trying to tell me something.

ALL YOUR MALE KIDS DYING IS GREAT WHEN YOU ARE A MERCHANT I GOTTA SAY.

Back to my Irish Cathar Great Heathen Army.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2017
    • Funny Funny x 3
    ^ Top  
  19. I'm With Her Vaarna_Aarnegender: ⚧ for prison Notorious Internet Vandal Patron

Vaarna_Aarne
    Parrots:
    MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
    I've never had spawn of Satan happen. It sort of makes me sad seeing all the crazy things it has led to.

• Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Make America Great Again The Brazilian Slaughtergender: ⚧ Arcane

The Brazilian Slaughter
    Parrots:
    Wait what, without M&M you can have societes being on the map without being able to be part of them or hunt them? Damn, that's some retarded design.

LOL!
    Are you sure you aren't getting cucked over and over by your relatives?
    I'm surprised you're getting inbred, actually. Zoroastrians and Messalians get the hidden "Divine Blood" modifier, which gives -5x chance to get the inbred trait, but +5x chance to get the Lunatic trait instead. I don't remember getting inbred in my zoro games, and I inbreed as often as I can, often having my wife and most of my concunbines be relatives, generally sisters and nieces (or nice-looking prisioners with good stats).

I see a lot of lunatics within my zoro dinasty, and I know this because I often have to kindly tell them not to kill my family. Crazy fucks.

I exiled then killed my last spawn of Satan daughter, because she was killing my male heirs. Fucking hell, that messed up my strategy

^ Top  
  21. Delteriusgender: ⚧ Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Delterius
    Parrots:
    More like high stewardship.

eh.

The King might be the only person trying his damndest to save the dynasty from going full retard, yes.

Yeah, kill me.

I did that the first time, but then the second Spawn of Satan got exorcized in Rome. Meaning you've got a nearly immortal god who can materialize french nannies and ancient witches at will. Very nearly converted to Zoroastrianism because why the fuck not at that point.

:positive:

More in Delterius' adventures in CK2:

the Merchant Republic of Cathar Ireland has waged so many Holy Wars across the Isles that Catholicism is now a heresy of Waldensian. Damn you HRE.

My Genius + Attractive Son married a Genius girl from West Francia. When I become him I realize he's gay and she's chaste.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2017
    • Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. Make America Great Again The Brazilian Slaughtergender: ⚧ Arcane

The Brazilian Slaughter
    Parrots:
    Man, you tell me. I have to tell these retards to BREED, damnit. I need more commanders and good stewards.

Wait, you can do that?!

^ Top  
  23. Delteriusgender: ⚧ Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Delterius
    Parrots:
    Yep!

^ Top  
  24. Make America Great Again The Brazilian Slaughtergender: ⚧ Arcane

The Brazilian Slaughter
    Parrots:
    How can I learn this power?

^ Top  
  25. Delteriusgender: ⚧ Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Delterius
    Parrots:
    Its a really rare event that for some reason always happens to me when I'm on pilgrimage. So... cross yer fingers!

^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)