Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

CKII is released.

Modron

Arcane
9lxne0mojhmx.png

:(
Looks like the wife is taking the news particularly hard.

Must be very careful about keeping an up-to-date will.

"If I should die between the days of March 10th and March 20th, be sure to notify those on the guest list that the event will need to be cancelled. You have permission to do so in my own name. Be sure to do so in a cheerful and upbeat manner."

Barbarian

Arcane
This last dlc is the first good one in a long time. With the custom rules the game is actually enjoyable again.

You guys know of any mod that makes tributary status not cease after the death of the ruler? Or does anyone know how to mod that in? This bullshit is very ahistorical, historically tributary status could last for centuries(i.e: russians and the mongols; kingdom of jerusalem and county of tripoli)

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
IIRC CK2+ had an event chain on ruler death where tributaries would decide whether to continue paying tribute (which weaker nations always did). It was either that or HIP (both?), don't remember exactly.

Barbarian

Arcane
Humm, interesting. I actually use a custom mod, I will see if I can add just that bit.

wwsd

Arcane
Vatnik
There is a new patch and a new version of the A Game of Thrones mod. It's pretty sweet, although not all the rule changes seem to work out very well in the mod. Interfaith marriage is supposedly restricted, yet AIs constantly offer and accept it, so that Cersei always ends up marrying Khal Jhaqo and becoming Khaleesi Cersei.

vmar

Savant
Conclave and Way of Life both make pretty good improvements/additions to the game, and Reaper's Due is pretty cool. Some of the dlcs aren't really worth it unless you want to play as certain nations, Old Gods for pagans, Sword of Islam for Muslims, etc. Legacy of Rome adds retinues (small standing army that doesn't need to be raised).

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
DD
By the grace of God, I am finally back and able to pen another development diary, though my hands are still unsteady from the shocking things I saw while in hiding. I think it best to simply recount my harrowing experiences of the last few weeks. For those with eyes to see and ears to hear, there is much to be learned from my travails.

For many months, I had felt that something strange was going on at the office. In hindsight, the signs were all there; colleagues naming their daughters “Sophia”, hushed talk of “secret knowledge” and Dan “podcat” Lind suddenly breaking off his presentation of the next Hearts of Iron IV expansion in order to explain how the Creator is just an “evil emanation of the original Monad”. But it wasn’t until Björn “Metal King” Iversen took me aside to listen to the subliminal messages in various Judas Priest tracks that I finally realized the truth: the company had been infiltrated by Sethian Gnostics! I recognized some of the messages from the Second Treatise of the Great Seth and the Gospel of Judas...

I suddenly did not want to help Björn record any more death sounds. Who knows how many souls he has helped “liberate” from this earthly prison in his infernal studio? He eyed me with suspicion when I assured him that I had already achieved Gnosis. Beating a hasty retreat, I was forced to skulk in various unused meeting rooms for a full week until I could finally make my escape. While in hiding, I witnessed many disturbing sights; people wearing inverted pentagrams and muttering to themselves, a secret follower of Mahomet performing an odd prayer ritual, various outlandish and no doubt fraternal handshakes, and worst of all; a vile heathen festival in the lunchroom involving spiderwebs, skulls and a bloody brew spewing smoke.

The rot runs deep. There are worse things afoot than mere Gnostic heretics... I fear there are several other corrupt sects burrowing like ticks within our ranks. How could this happen? What malign stars have aligned in the skies above our afflicted nation? Dark heresiarchs are at work in the Realm, pulling strings from the shadows and inducting naïve game developers into their subversive cabals. Who can feel safe in these dark times?

I have written the Holy See with a plea for aid. My sole hope lies in the Holy Father, Pope Francis, though I wonder if he is made of stern enough stuff to unleash the Hounds of God, for I fear only the Dominicans can save us now, as they did in the times of Cardinal Torquemada, bless his soul...

May God send us a light, for the darkness surrounds us!

index.php

My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
So it looks like heresies are probably getting an overhaul from that Dev Diary. Depending on how they do it, it could make for a worthwhile little DLC. Most of the current heresies are pretty dull, and they have at least a few of them that they could make something interesting out of. Namely expanding the Cathars & Manichaeism as well as and adding the Qarmatians (The extremist Shia sect that sacked Mecca and at times had fire worshipers, preached vegetarianism, and a ban on eating garlic). Sethian Gnosticism is a bit early for the CK2 period though, still we'll see what they do.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Finally. Now that gives some hope we'll someday get the same in the form of a theology dlc. Cathedrals and relics and saints and so on. The stuff they actually teased/wrote about way back at release.

Frankly though, it seems that the team they gave the development of CK2 has got the right idea. No more retarded map expansions but a return to deepening the core gameplay aspects. Nice.

Tried the game again and it's basically unplayable for me right now. I don't know if it's a vanilla problem or HIP is doing something (more likely) - it starts off fine, but after 10 years or so I keep getting a small pause at the 1st of each month, and then the pause start growing and growing. After 50 or so years game is reduced to a slideshow for a couple of minutes at the beginning of each month. Obviously some ludicrously expensive script is chocking the life out my CPU. Does anyone else have this problem?

wwsd

Arcane
Vatnik
DD
By the grace of God, I am finally back and able to pen another development diary, though my hands are still unsteady from the shocking things I saw while in hiding. I think it best to simply recount my harrowing experiences of the last few weeks. For those with eyes to see and ears to hear, there is much to be learned from my travails.

For many months, I had felt that something strange was going on at the office. In hindsight, the signs were all there; colleagues naming their daughters “Sophia”, hushed talk of “secret knowledge” and Dan “podcat” Lind suddenly breaking off his presentation of the next Hearts of Iron IV expansion in order to explain how the Creator is just an “evil emanation of the original Monad”. But it wasn’t until Björn “Metal King” Iversen took me aside to listen to the subliminal messages in various Judas Priest tracks that I finally realized the truth: the company had been infiltrated by Sethian Gnostics! I recognized some of the messages from the Second Treatise of the Great Seth and the Gospel of Judas...

I suddenly did not want to help Björn record any more death sounds. Who knows how many souls he has helped “liberate” from this earthly prison in his infernal studio? He eyed me with suspicion when I assured him that I had already achieved Gnosis. Beating a hasty retreat, I was forced to skulk in various unused meeting rooms for a full week until I could finally make my escape. While in hiding, I witnessed many disturbing sights; people wearing inverted pentagrams and muttering to themselves, a secret follower of Mahomet performing an odd prayer ritual, various outlandish and no doubt fraternal handshakes, and worst of all; a vile heathen festival in the lunchroom involving spiderwebs, skulls and a bloody brew spewing smoke.

The rot runs deep. There are worse things afoot than mere Gnostic heretics... I fear there are several other corrupt sects burrowing like ticks within our ranks. How could this happen? What malign stars have aligned in the skies above our afflicted nation? Dark heresiarchs are at work in the Realm, pulling strings from the shadows and inducting naïve game developers into their subversive cabals. Who can feel safe in these dark times?

I have written the Holy See with a plea for aid. My sole hope lies in the Holy Father, Pope Francis, though I wonder if he is made of stern enough stuff to unleash the Hounds of God, for I fear only the Dominicans can save us now, as they did in the times of Cardinal Torquemada, bless his soul...

May God send us a light, for the darkness surrounds us!

index.php

Sounds good. There is already quite a lot of religion in the game, and plenty of flavours of heresies, but there's little reason to take most of them, except as a challenge. Hopefully they will add to the heresies both in terms of mechanics and flavour. It would help if they made it a bit more fluid. Now, it's black and white: a character is either mainline or heretic. Same with provinces. You're just going about your business and suddenly your court chaplain realises that "Waldensianism" is a great thing and urges you to convert out of the blue.

It would be better if heresies ebb and flow in a more natural way. Let's say that there are various factors leading to a general growth of religious dissent within a province, and then noble or clergy characters have various reasons for going along with it or not. And only at that point do specific heresies actually form.

Last edited:
It'd be nice if they made it so that heresies had some rhyme or logic behind them. Having Fraticelli pop up centuries before the Franciscan order emerged triggers my autism something fierce.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
True, the heresies should be more based around actual issues concerning the church at the time, which should be fairly possible to make in a straightforward manner based on popes and local religious laws. So basically if you let the pope to have all that sweet, sweet gold the church wants, you end up getting heresies related to Apostolic poverty and the like. It would also serve as a springboard to make Moral Authority of a religion a little more nuanced than just a kind of global war result scoreboard. Not to mention a system of this sort could be adapted to more than just Christianity, in particular I think with pagans it could serve as a way to make varieties of paganism more tied to culture and syncretism rather more than a religious group where there can be only one and then Tengri and West African. This could also serve as a way to tie in with Christianity and Islam by making local syncretism an important part in differentiating the newly converted (relatively speaking) periphery from the core region of the religion (Southwest Europe and the Arabian Peninsula+Levant respectively for Catholicism and Sunnis). It'd also be somewhat educational, because syncretic pagan elements were preserved for a very long time in Europe (one example being that in the early 20th century when one of the last Karelian shamans was asked who lived in Heaven, he answered God, Jesus, Ukko, and Väinämöinen).

Actually, it might be better to have a dynamic heresy system where heresies are not so much attempts to overtake the parent religion but potential local new religions based on reforming to local issues and entrenching. A good example would be Catharism if left unchecked becoming the de facto regional religion in Occitania. It could also rope in with heresies being major separatist issues for big blobs, again using Catharism as example in France where ingame the crusades against Cathars would also have the secular purpose of crushing Occitain and Lombard regionalism and eventual separatism. It would certainly make major independence revolts linked to heresy a lot more involved and international affair.

Sure, the Wars of Religion in Europe aren't exactly in CK2's timeframe, but IMO CK2 is considerably better equipped to handle them than EU ever has been and they would certainly fit in to add more domestic and intra-religious group destruction and mayhem.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
Or invest in killing your excessive heirs. But generally, it's dropping gavelkind as son as posible. Which means reforming if pagans and putting all resources in adopting feudalism. If pagan, you'll be constantly pisspoor in gold so picking business focus is the best option - to build up some walls until feudalism could be adopted is the easiest with business event chains.

Or invest in killing your excessive heirs. But generally, it's dropping gavelkind as son as posible. Which means reforming if pagans and putting all resources in adopting feudalism. If pagan, you'll be constantly pisspoor in gold so picking business focus is the best option - to build up some walls until feudalism could be adopted is the easiest with business event chains.

Pagans who aren't landlocked can pick up huge amounts of cash once they figure out how to abuse raiding properly.

Warhammer: Geheimnisnacht is now version 1.0 and released for 2.6.2.

And it seems to be running quite well. Very nice.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom