Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

CKII is released.

Someone made an LP with release version Way of Life where the sole idea was that his Somalian character was going to impregnate every lady in Europe.

Someone... you mean everyone hasn't done that by now?

Though my character was Malian.

Playing as a heretic on the Island, even a single county one is perfectly doable, if not actually easy. At least in the old gods start - all those small targets that can be obliterated in a single holly war or two, and vikings and catholics are so busy killing each other they almost never go after you. So once wars break out all you have to do is hire some mercs and holly war the shit out of the loosing side. After a few rounds of this you will be powerful enough to take on the winner as well. Ireland or Wales in less than 10 years starting from scratch is not that hard. Dealing with those fucking raiders once you grow big though, now that's fucking annoying.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Raiders quickly get to a point where it's nothing but annoying, since you can easily curb them but if the Norse pagans stay around you will be stomping their raiders almost every goddamn day.

Abelian

Somebody's Alt
You're all forgetting the best way to expand as a christian: righteous crusading to expand the good word of the Lord! You even get bonus piety if you're into that sort of thing.
I started out as Harold II during the Battle Stamford Bridge, and one hundred years later, I also control the Kingdom of Jerusalem, Moorish Spain, and most of the Baltic states due to crusades. I had fun conquering territories, but my new challenge is to form an empire to simplify succession.

Quigs

Magister
Gave the claim thing a shot tonight. By a strange stroke of luck, England was ruled by a Queen, married to a bastard brother of mine. We killed him together, Married her. Married family off to the King of Scotland, but the Pope would only grant a claim on Albany, and not Scotland proper. Took what he'd give me though. Wife died, son now rules England and Albany, along with an irish county. Kind of waiting to die to form the empire. Thanks for the tips guys. It helped.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
And regarding the expansion, additional map will probably mean that I'll never play it as my toaster already has trouble running it after the Rajas expansion. I guess I'll have to stop the game from updating if I still want to keep on playing it.
They supposedly improved optimization and the 2.3.4 version runs as fast as 1.0 did according to one of the developers. We'll see when it's out though. I'm waiting for the new version especially for all the bug fixes.

Andnjord

Arcane
I started out as Harold II during the Battle Stamford Bridge, and one hundred years later, I also control the Kingdom of Jerusalem, Moorish Spain, and most of the Baltic states due to crusades. I had fun conquering territories, but my new challenge is to form an empire to simplify succession.
Aye, that 8000 prestige is quite steep. I'm playing as the saxon's Ludolfinger (now emigrated into ex-muslims controlled Greece) controlling the kingdoms of Greece, Jerusalem and Anatolia, and my rulers keep dying between 25-30 years old. The best one was a quick ruler aged 28 with 4000 prestige who died commanding a regiment, not a flank (thus I had no choice to not let him command it, a good thing they're fixing that) against one piddly Finnish raid :negative:. Many profanities were sworn against the RNG God.

They supposedly improved optimization and the 2.3.4 version runs as fast as 1.0 did according to one of the developers. We'll see when it's out though. I'm waiting for the new version especially for all the bug fixes.
Well, that is good news, good news indeed.

Delterius

Arcane
Good kings dying young are a staple of the CK experience. During my Zunist campaign I decided to stick to Gavelkind in lieu of Ultimogeniture. Miraculously my demesne almost never ever got split. Also miraculously about 10 of my sovereigns rose to the throne as kids. Successively. The RNG God was trying to tell me something that day.

Sranchammer

Arcane
Vatnik
After months of inaction, I started a new Byz game as. Anatolian count. The Seljuks invade and completely wipe out the Imperial Army, occupying several cities. A great opportunity for the imperial diadem, I call for the emperors head.

As soon as I declare war, the Sultan sues for peace with nothing gained

:balance:

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
03.jpg

Well, you've tried your best. It's time for our army to do their work.

:smug:

Round 2? K.

Last edited:

MilesBeyond

Cipher
Okay, I like the general Germanic politics and especially the idea of being a count in the HRE because it's like you can expand but you've got to be sneaky and subtle about it because if not the Emperor will be like "What the hell are you doing down there." So what's the best character for this? Also what's the best start? I feel a need to start at the earliest date but I haven't played the game too much and as a result am afraid that if I play as Bavaria (usually my preferred Germanic state in EU and Viccy) Charlemagne will eat my ass for breakfast (uhhh, metaphorically). Also, no HRE.

RK47

Patron
I don't own Charlemagne, but the Old Gods start seems to be dominated by purely Karling Kings in Western Europe.
I'd recommend playing there as one of the counts who plot to end the Karling domination on Europe.
It was fun toppling them one by one and helping other non-Karlings to the throne as well.

Welp, got a decent session done. Let's do this. France swore fealty to HRE > War for Throne

Last edited:

RK47

Patron
Fucking Karling!
Damn those Krazy Karling Kings!
A pox upon Europe, that's what they are, with their huge power-bloc that spans Italy, France, Germany and often other countries.

It doesn't mean the Karlings will always work together though, I played a few session during those era which involves me taking part in the inter-Karling wars. Those are so profitable with the constantly depleted levies = quicker sieges for ransoms and cash. Eventually once I hit Emperor level, playing with vassal Karling-Kings is so fun, especially when you turn Italy and Germany into Republics.

Also 1034 - Crusade for Jerusalem successful without player intervention.
Guess who won the prize?

05.jpg

Last edited:

vonAchdorf

Arcane
Okay, I like the general Germanic politics and especially the idea of being a count in the HRE because it's like you can expand but you've got to be sneaky and subtle about it because if not the Emperor will be like "What the hell are you doing down there." So what's the best character for this? Also what's the best start? I feel a need to start at the earliest date but I haven't played the game too much and as a result am afraid that if I play as Bavaria (usually my preferred Germanic state in EU and Viccy) Charlemagne will eat my ass for breakfast (uhhh, metaphorically). Also, no HRE.

As long as you don't give refuge to his wife (?) when the event triggers, he doesn't have a CB against you iirc and you should be fine. Marry Byzantine princes and princesses and you got an ally.

RK47

Patron
Sworn fealty, time to be the Kaiser.

:happytrollboy: Time to slice the eurozone apart

Last edited:

RK47

Patron
HRE under new management.
01.jpg

Lots of unhappy Germans, but they can easily change their tune with a few land grants.
Of course, I keep an eye on easy conversion to turn all HRE into Orthodoxy. It will take time.
Ordered 15k retinue build up, cost me 2000 gold. Time to reward subjects with land.

02.jpg

Grabbed slavic clay.
I have a count with claim on Poland.
So that's next.

03.jpg

04.jpg

Not a chance. 7000 pollacks were wiped in battle.
We welcome Poland into the Eurozone.

05.jpg

Next stop: Anything Pagan

06.jpg

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
Horse Lords is out, anyone got some early impressions?

Other than the mandatory PDX bugs, of course:

3RJSWOK.png

1RAVAv9.jpg

Last edited:

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
What are the major new features for non-pony fetishists?

Lazy pasta:

• Nomadic rule: contrary to tribal governments, nomads do not have permanent settlements. Nomad hordes simply have a total population, which grows relative to how many empty holding slots exist in their provinces (steppe provinces are best, but some other terrain types are also acceptable). A large fraction of the total population counts as Manpower, which is used to raise regiments (similar to retinues).[5]
  • Clan politics: with mostly empty holdings, nomads tend to have a lot fewer normal vassals than other realms. This is compensated by a variable number of member Clans, that fight for dominance. Mechanics include splitting/absorbing clans that get too large/small, and proclaiming feuds and blood oaths.[6]
  • Nomad succession: nomads no longer use ultimogeniture, but the most prestigious son or brother inherits. To get control over the heir, a nomad ruler can send his most promising sons to become mercenaries.
  • Dynamic mercenaries: mercenary bands can now form dynamically, becoming available for hire by rulers in the general region. As they earn money, the size of their regiment increase.
  • Raiding adventurers: should a horde lose its last province, the tribe will still exist, and may use its remaining armies to conquer another land in which to settle. Adventurers will use the money they gain from raiding to recruit more troops, and when they have grown to a certain level, they will try to become landed.
  • Silk road: rulers of predefined provinces along the road can build trade posts on land, which can be upgraded to make the Silk Road worth even more. However if a war breaks out and a part of the trade route is caught in the conflict, the trade will be cut from that province and onwards for that branch. The trade will instead go through any other branch and result in them receiving more of the trade than they normally would.[7]
  • Tributaries: new diplomatic relationship for nomad states forces defeated enemies to keep the Khan’s coffers filled. Tributaries pay a monthly tax to their suzerain and cannot refuse the suzerain's call to wars.[8]
  • Larger map: the Central Asian plains are expanded, with 27 new provinces in 8 new duchies and 2 kingdoms, and associated cultures (Uyghur, Khitan, Sogdian and Tocharian) and character history. The size of the base map remains unchanged, as the added counties were previously wasteland.[9]

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
The nomad mechanics are going to be a modder goldmine. You can bet your ass Raiding Adventurer is going to be adapted for a lot wider use with mods too.

Also, the Warhammer Fantasy mod is in very good shape already, aside from unpolished magic system (namely, it's so super-rare and hard to get that it's not a major factor without activating it with cheats for characters outside of the select few official characters who have it enabled) and occasional crashes with pseudo-mysterious causes it's already a fuckload of fun and provides some really alternative gameplay styles. Ie, vampires are sort of like usual CK2 on 'roids due to the whole immortality thing, where forced Turkish succession means your primary goal is to stay alive no matter what because it'll be total fucking chaos when you die and EVERYONE in your bloodline gets strong claims on everything you had. Orcs appear to be super-fun as well, and should be even moreso once Nomad horde mechanics are updated in (inevitable, those are just perfect for Greenskins).

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/mod-warhammer-geheimnisnacht.843657/

vonAchdorf

Arcane
Interestingly, they included the obligatory hotfix in today's patch (releasing 2.4.1 instead of 2.4.0), but nonetheless kept with the tradition of serious bugs on release which require another hotfix.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom