Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

CKII is released.

Absalom

The ERE had Isaac I, Alexios I, Nikephoros III, Andronikos, just to name a few

Honestly, the entire ERE system is ridiculous
No more Paradox pandering to Byz fags plz

Delterius

Arcane
The ERE had Isaac I, Alexios I, Nikephoros III, Andronikos, just to name a few

Honestly, the entire ERE system is ridiculous
No more Paradox pandering to Byz fags plz
When I started a campaign for the first time using HIP, I creamed my pants when Byzantine Empire collapsed within 15 minutes.
Then you are a gentleman of taste who can appreciate something exquisite.
o6KItu6.jpg

Nevermind me, I'm just the cathar Emperor God King of Britain just off the picture, the AI did this on its own. Not pictured: Francia is torn apart by the Lollard heresy.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Whoa how did the AI form Francia on its own? I mean, usually just all the conditions make it so it never does that even if France succesfully blobs.

In my case, I'm kind of sucker of helping out the AI in order to, uhm, spice up the situation. Ie, if I go pagan I usually reform all other pagans as well (still haven't figured out/bothered to come up with a domino effect for pagan reformations), and I recreate Zorro Persia wayyyyy more often than necessary (though in latest case I also fragmented it as well for additional lulz). Current campaign's abnormality/special interest is that a new empire has taken hold of Constantinople as capital. The empire of pagan SERBIA (who due to HIP having some sort of welcome assimilation mechanic for foreign rulers are now 100% Greek).

Gord

Arcane
So, Codex got me curious and I got the game in the latest Humble Bundle...
So far it seems potentially interesting, if a bit boring to play (well, depending on what you choose to do, I guess).

Anyway, after a few hours of playing, I got a few questions:

After starting as a minor count (County of Nuremberg) in the HRE to learn the ropes of the game, I decided that I wanted to either become Duke of Franconia or Duke of Bavaria.
I eventually managed after about 100 years to get my heir to marry the Duke of Bavaria's oldest daughter, then successfully got the duke killed so he couldn't sire any sons. At the time, he also held both the titles of Duke of Franconia and Duke of Bavaria, so jackpot!
His daughter inherited his title, my son became the new duke (although that didn't help much as of yet, since the daughter was in power and I still only ruled over Nuremberg) and eventually the two had a son of their own who would at the same time be of my dynasty, my heir and inherit all the titles I originally wanted to own.
Unfortunately my wife the duchess of Bavaria died first (stress) and my son inherited her titles before I was playing as him, thus becoming also my liege. I eventually took a new wife (to gain the 1/2 attribute bonus) and had another son.
And now the strange thing happened: Despite my firstborn being alive, my 2nd son became my appointed heir, in other words, I wouldn't be able to play as my firstborn son to fulfil my self-selected win-condition.
Why?

And second, which DLCs are recommended to get the most out of the game? I only got Sons of Abraham with the bundle. I pretty much detest Paradox' DLC strategy, so I don't want to spend more money on DLC than necessary (meaning that I anyway will have to wait for a sale), but which are considered worthwhile?

Vaarna_Aarne

What were your succession laws for each title? Any gavelkind title in the bundle would screw up your plans.

These are the best DLCs in order (Sons of Abraham would be #4 on my list):

The Old Gods, The Republic, Way of Life, Charlemagne, Sword of Islam, Legacy of Rome (these two depend entirely on whether or not you want to play as Muslims or castration-crazed Orthodox Greeks), Rajas of India (India is just too far out of the way to contribute to the ACTION). There is absolutely zero reason to get Sunset Invasion. Ruler Designer and Customization DLCs are fun, but not necessary.

Besides these, it bears mention that graphics modders also LOVE the portrait DLCs. When it comes to those, the quality list goes in this order: Mediterranean (this used to be the worst, but they redid it for free because it was so shit), Iberian, Turkish, Persian, Norse, Celtic, Russian, African. None of these are ass anymore since they redid Mediterranean, but African is the one used least (and it has the additional analpain factor of being the single most dickish in being DLC). When Gabe has his periodic desire for your money (= 50% off sales), you can consider the stuff.

Vaarna_Aarne

I'd say the key feature is that it adds a lot more control over what on earth is happening in that crazy, crazy world of unfortunate accidents.

Gord

Arcane
What kind of succession laws do you have in your county ?
What were your succession laws for each title? Any gavelkind title in the bundle would screw up your plans.

Ok, apparently the county of Nuremberg had Gavelkind, the two duchies had primogeniture.
After I switched the inheritance law of the County to primogeniture, my appointed heir defaulted back to my firstborn.

I guess I never noticed before since I did have only one county and from time to time a barony on my name.

Vaarna_Aarne

This is why creating titles is always a good cause for saving beforehand if you're unsure of the effects to your succession laws. Having an old dude create the title can be disastrous if laws change (ie, I think Elective kingdom creating a new Empire causes shenanigans and gavelkind).

Self-Ejected

Kazuki

Self-Ejected
Weekly Dev Diary #2

Second week and a second dev diary! We will continue for this week as well to discuss new patch features and changes.

I'll start with some more quality of life changes we've done with the right-click menu to make interactions with various entities in the game even more smooth. For starters we've finally removed the capital letters in the tooltip to hint about how to now interact with characters, but that's not really a big deal. We have also extended the menu to now include actions such as plot to kill in this menu to make life a little bit easier.

DD_2.jpg

But we didn't end there because we also felt that you should be able to interact more with holdings and titles so we added it to them as well, including a decision to switch what you want as your capital holding. Obviously the bishopric of Uppsala should be the capital of Sweden now that the capital holding type doesn't matter for government anymore.

DD_1.jpg

There's also a thing that has been very difficult to do in Crusader Kings 2 is to get a visual overview of your realm and its hierarchy which is why we have merged the Independent Realms mapmode and Direct Vassals mapmode into one superior mapmode which combine the both plus some more. Let's have a look at the Holy Roman Empire and his realm.

DD_3.jpg

To now see the breakdown of this realm you Ctrl+Left Click on a province on the map belonging to the Empire and it will break up in-front of you to show you what hides within. Showing you the various duchies and counts beneath the Emperor. Pretty standard to how the Direct Vassal mapmode works but you can isolate it to one realm at a time.

DD_4.jpg

But let's say you want to look deeper into the hierarchy and break up the Kingdom of Bohemia to view what duchies and counties that it contains? You just click it again and this sub realm will also be broken apart to reveal the King's own direct vassals letting you examine your vassals vassals.

DD_5.jpg

And like Doomdark did last week I'll finish up with some random snippets from our huge Changelog
- Several Lovers events now checks that ruler/spouse/lover isn't incapable/imprisoned
- Rügen, Öland and Djerba are no longer considered to be ocean terrain provinces.
- You'll no longer try to talk to your dead children when you have the family focus.
- It is now possible to gain the Crusader/Mujahid trait as a character of any religion participating in a Crusade/Jihad.
- To become a cardinal you have to be within the pope's diplomatic range
- Can no longer enforce plot to take vassal land if he is in revolt.
- Go tiger hunting no longer disappears after creating a custom Empire in India.
- Fixed get married ambition for homosexuals.
- Now we have visual indicator when settlement slots are being used by tribals
- Paranoid parents should no longer worry about potential plots against dead children.
- Lovers in prison can no longer get impregnated normally
- Anglo-Saxons are now also allowed to create the Kingdom of Saxony

Delterius

Arcane
For two hundred years the night worshippers stood as a terrible giant. Thousands of gold had to be sent to their 'Caliph' only to placate their hunger for conquest. All of our neighbors who instead sought to resist perished before their mighty hordes.

But then, it was no more. The old world was gone and the new one was ripe for glory. The Lord of Sunlight had granted its believers respite and opportunity.

Past the Moon, lies the Zun.
T1I83Mm.jpg

tumblr_n4lq57TjrF1qkd4ddo1_400.gif

All in all, Zunists are pretty cool. Both india and the muslim rulers sent hordes of prisoners your way and their religious festival decision can give your ruler traits like Quick, Strong and Genius - making you grossly incandescent. They get to try and execute prisoners for free by dropping them at the deserts. Maintaining good relations with the Caliph was crucial but not impossible and once you've grown enough you can bait the muslims hordes with Kalat and the Zunist county attrition. Too bad their base afghan culture doesn't aid their hefty bonuses to Heavy Infantry.

I also changed my dynasty name to Zunlaire.

Andnjord

Arcane
So that time of the week again and its time for me to make something up to write about. Today I decided to talk about regions and forts, two new concepts in Crusader Kings II.

First, regions isn't something that is going to affect you directly but it works somewhat like how it have done in the Europa Universalis Games. It's an area on the map that denotes a region with a name and it's mostly used to improve on our localization of things, such as hunting for tigers in India or hunting a deer in western Europe. So no longer will you find Tigers in the woods of Poland if you manage to move your capital of your Indian Empire out of the subcontinent. You can see these regions by opening up a province and click on the new region icon to get an outline of the region. It's also possible to search for regions in the old title finder.

index.php

Next is a gameplay feature you will actually interact a bit more actively in. It's called forts which is an additional type of holding you can build in provinces next to the normal ones and trade posts. Because of this we had to extend the province view with a window you can open and close which will show "extra holding slots" which will contain the trade post and fort slots. The fort can be built anywhere from your own territory even enemy provinces that you have under your control. Their biggest advantage is that they are fortifications that you can build up really fast and very cheaply. The main point of them being to let you build up a region as your march towards a big neighbor which will let you slow down their advance but at the same time let you set up forward positions in the enemy territory.

index.php

They do have some added bonuses though beyond that, for instance in Tribal land where you have the homeland attrition bonus, that bonus will be removed from the province as long as you have a fort there to supply your troops with. There is also a feature for the forts that is too related to the expansion so I can't delve into that any deeper.

And again here's some more random changelogs
- Fixed crash when a war is invalidated because of no defender
- Fixed the "hostile against everyone" bug
- Fixed bug where the AI would keep their units attached to characters they no longer participate in a war with.
- Added alert for having high prio minor titles available to grant.
- Fixed various provinces in India that had no rulers scripted for some start dates.
- Monks and other people living in celibacy will no longer try to arrange stealth marriages if ruled by a patrician.
- Defensive religions now properly also give defensive modifiers for Camel Cavalry and Elephants.

Self-Ejected

Kazuki

Self-Ejected
So that time of the week again and its time for me to make something up to write about. Today I decided to talk about regions and forts, two new concepts in Crusader Kings II.

First, regions isn't something that is going to affect you directly but it works somewhat like how it have done in the Europa Universalis Games. It's an area on the map that denotes a region with a name and it's mostly used to improve on our localization of things, such as hunting for tigers in India or hunting a deer in western Europe. So no longer will you find Tigers in the woods of Poland if you manage to move your capital of your Indian Empire out of the subcontinent. You can see these regions by opening up a province and click on the new region icon to get an outline of the region. It's also possible to search for regions in the old title finder.

index.php

Next is a gameplay feature you will actually interact a bit more actively in. It's called forts which is an additional type of holding you can build in provinces next to the normal ones and trade posts. Because of this we had to extend the province view with a window you can open and close which will show "extra holding slots" which will contain the trade post and fort slots. The fort can be built anywhere from your own territory even enemy provinces that you have under your control. Their biggest advantage is that they are fortifications that you can build up really fast and very cheaply. The main point of them being to let you build up a region as your march towards a big neighbor which will let you slow down their advance but at the same time let you set up forward positions in the enemy territory.

index.php

They do have some added bonuses though beyond that, for instance in Tribal land where you have the homeland attrition bonus, that bonus will be removed from the province as long as you have a fort there to supply your troops with. There is also a feature for the forts that is too related to the expansion so I can't delve into that any deeper.

And again here's some more random changelogs
- Fixed crash when a war is invalidated because of no defender
- Fixed the "hostile against everyone" bug
- Fixed bug where the AI would keep their units attached to characters they no longer participate in a war with.
- Added alert for having high prio minor titles available to grant.
- Fixed various provinces in India that had no rulers scripted for some start dates.
- Monks and other people living in celibacy will no longer try to arrange stealth marriages if ruled by a patrician.
- Defensive religions now properly also give defensive modifiers for Camel Cavalry and Elephants.

Images didn't show up

rezaf

Cipher
The images are HTTPS links to the Paradox forum, so the probably show up as long as you're logged in there?
For all intents and purposes, though, this means the image links can be considered broken. :P

Vaarna_Aarne

CK2 is Pdox's most succesful game ever both critically and financially, and continues to print money. Check again in three+ years I'd say, when they've finally made Victoria 3 and several DLC expansions for it.

aleph

Arcane
Seeing their current approach to HoI IV I shudder at thought of what they might inflict on Victoria 3...

Okay, I'll bite. What's supposed to be wrong with how HoI IV is developing so far?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom