Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

CKII is released.

Shadenuat

Arcane
They fixed fucking archers at least

Multi-headed Cow

Johan is killing me by not running a sale. When he releases mostly "Alternate play style" DLC like Sword of Islam or Tiger Wrasslin' I'm fine playing the game without it since it's mostly contained in different areas. General game improvement DLC like Way of Life, Art of War, and (Possibly) Charlemagne I feel like I'm missing out if I'm playing without it so then I get antsy without it. Could theoretically buy it on the basis that I play the games a good chunk more than most stuff anyway, but I already end up spending a lot on them since I buy goddamn mongol faces and pretty princess dressup DLC during the sales too. Not sure what my total spent on CK2 would be now but I'm fairly sure it'd be north of $100 even leaning on sales since not everything's been at 75% off and the game itself was in the $20-30 range when I first bought it IIRC.

Great Gaben hear my plea, bring me a Paradox sale with 75% off CK2 and EU4 DLC across the board. Amen.

Dominae

Educated
Don't worry too hard about missing out, as the game has a rather severe bug right now (it got added with the Way of Life patch) that they haven't gotten around to fixing. MAYBE this week they'll patch it, they supposedly "figured it out" a week ago and just haven't pushed a hotfix. Anywho, the challenge is gone from the game at current.

Anyone with any sense is at least annoyed that the game is unplayable challenge-wise right now. A visit to the game's Reddit forums is extra funny, filled with people showing off screenshots of "accomplishments" that there was no challenge in completing, super proud of themselves, and when someone points out "oh yeah the levy bug cripples the difficultly and turns the game into a peace-filled blobbing simulator you should really wait to show off until the game is playable again" they get downvoted.

The cynical side of me thinks Paradox are fine with it being super-easy-mode because they added Way of Life (which is unbalanced and easied things up some) & it was the Holidays so they wanted to hook a bunch of new people into the game that might have been driven off by "difficult gameplay".

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Didn't someone have a campaign where he was playing as some Somalian dude with the express goal of doing nothing but seeding the courts of the world with his bastards?

Dominae What is the bug?

Under certain circumstances the AI can't dismiss levies, which means they are no longer able to declare wars and their vassals get a constantly increasing opinion penalty towards them. They'll also have problems re-raising an army in case they are attacked, since you can't have 2 levies from the same holding at a time.

Effectively most major AI realms become impotent within a few decades.

Yes, this bug has been present for a whole month.

Multi-headed Cow

Jesus, that's pretty bad. Wonder how they busted levies with Way of Life of all things, which as far as I know has nothing to do with levies.

Don't feel so bad about waiting now. Paradox breaking shit isn't surprising but I hadn't heard of that one until now.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Ugh, thanks.

I just started to play, maybe a week ago. This would explain a few things. I have so few AI armies around, and very few wars. I'm becoming a powerhouse way too easy..

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Jesus, that's pretty bad. Wonder how they busted levies with Way of Life of all things, which as far as I know has nothing to do with levies.

Don't feel so bad about waiting now. Paradox breaking shit isn't surprising but I hadn't heard of that one until now.

The nobles are obviously busy romancing the soldiers.

Stuff like this makes me glad I put CK2 down and decided I was done with it. Their absurd DLC schemes paid a large part in my decision. If they'd dropped the released expansions instead, it would have been more palatable.

Sword Of Islam + The Old Gods + Sons of Abraham (+the minors that got released for them) = Great Big Religious Expansion
Way of Life + Legacy of Rome + The Rebublic (+the associated minor DLCs) = Intrigue for Everyone
Rajahs of India + Sunset Invasion + Charlemagne + Minors = Brave New World expansion

I'd have picked up each of those for $15-20 without blinking.
All the minor cosmetic DLCs that get released alongside the big expansions just feels like they cut a bunch of content to charge extra for it.

According to patch notes pimpin' ain't easy now.
9547.jpg

Shadenuat

Arcane
It doesn't feel like a stable game with more or less established gameplay turned-bugged-mess with latest version that's for sure. Although My Friend says it still is. But hey it doesn't crash anymore or save/load and such, which started to happen right after Charlemagne for me.

New decision wheel is alright, nothing too fancy but I like some things like family boon, it's very helpful for wounded character for example. You pick intrigue or seduce, get title, then warmonger, get wounded, pick family to become more healthy... feels like a nice addition. I did not spend that much time with it, and neither I tried to break the game with it which they say is possible.

Well, I started another game in Wales in 867 and generally had an interesting 80 years creating an empire and trying out the seduction approach to my usual eugenics project. Ultimogeniture + legitimising the first child as backup and then the best candidate works great, didn't even bother getting married. I did kind of fuck up by legitimising too many kids and then giving them land. Should have left them as bastards to prevent them from having claims on my stuff. Seriously, that is the last time I will ever give duchies to my family.

Anyway, maybe they did tone down seduction a bit, but I still didn't have any problems with it (but then I restricted myself to lowborn and unmarried targets, preferably after I got them to my court), it was quite easy to find good candidates and some events just give you courtiers with several good traits. Of course, when the AI does it it's still disruptive as hell and likely to end in multiple murders.

Also, I really, really hate those fucking vikings. I get it that I'm playing in the viking age and that Britain is supposed to be viking central. But you'd think that after the first 100 thousand vikings failed to return from my lands they would get the STAY THE FUCK OUT message and look somewhere less suicidal for loot. It's just unbelievably annoying to play whac-a-mole with viking raiders, not a year doesn't go by that at least a couple of groups try it. And every time, raise levies, load them in boats, land them on top of the raiders, dismiss levies and the boats. And my vassals were mostly useless. Finally I snapped and put all my retinues and some cheap mercs on permanent viking-whacking duties, just roaming around with organiser leaders (the AI doesn't expect that and usually starts running for the boats too late) and killing every fucker that lands on my shores.

Going to start another game now, preferably somewhere far away from the fucking vikings.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom