Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

CKII is released.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
If I'm correct, the Pope's crusade-calling function should be completely unaffected by him being landless. Secret Pope Cave is well-equipped.

Oh for fucks sake. You mean he can call a war on me while living on my own land and there is not a damn thing I can do about it? That is beyond silly. Why can't they just relocate him to some other county if he loses Rome, that would make a whole lot more sense.

Vaarna_Aarne

There's not a damn thing you can do about crusade calls anyway, outside of beating the crusade itself. Though actually, the pope lacking territory MIGHT do something, since the Pope should need land since he starts the war...

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
After listening records of lectures about medieval history for some time I have realised how authentic and fun CK2 was before retinues were added. Retinues killed all the fun. You don't have to care about your asshole vassals, because you can roflstomp wars without their help. And if vassals act up, you can roflstomp them with retinues too. So, no sweet, sweet backstabbing and kinslaying internal politics we all love Medieval times for.

Is there a mod that allows playing with new DLCs, but nerfs retinues back?
Retinues, the the Crown Authority, were supposed to represent a slow change in the feudal states in that period, at the begining of which kings depended on the whims of their own vassals, but with time some dynasties managed to gain more power a not only stopped to rely on their vassals, but started to enforce their will over them, being only a step away from forming a centralized state.
Think about Capet dynasty and it's two branches as an example. They started as just formal rulers of France with almost no power and the most famous of them at the zetinth of the power of his dynasty called himself a state. Altrough it was already in the EU games period.
But as always CK sucks at showing a gradual changes. Situation with Papacy and Christianity in general in the CK2 is evem worse.

Amen. The earlier builds (and even the beta) did a great job at making you manage your vassals and really made you fight to claw power away from them. They subsequently nerfed this, probably in a bid to 'balance' multiplayer and have moved away further and further from that struggle for power in later patches and dlc.

For a while it seemed like they really were on the way to topple CK1 but dodgy design decisions and an avalanche of dlc that added lots of superficial extra content without enhancing the base game really did it in for me. Constantly nerfing the concepts that make CK stand out and make it more like every other Pdox game has been the Paradox modus operandi ever since it got released. Perhaps they figured that their fanbase want more of the same with just another theme and some seemingly fresh concepts to shake things up. Not really surprising, it has worked for them. Not to mention that the first CK and the idea to mix rpg with strategy and a sprinkling of the sims was initially designed by a whole different team.

mondblut

Arcane
Oh for fucks sake. You mean he can call a war on me while living on my own land and there is not a damn thing I can do about it? That is beyond silly. Why can't they just relocate him to some other county if he loses Rome, that would make a whole lot more sense.

Actually he rarely stays landless for long as long as there christard rulers; one of them usually hands him a temple holding after some years. Happened multiple times for me.

Abelian

Somebody's Alt
Speaking of the pope, has anyone else encountered a minor bug where all popes and patriarchs are lowborn after a certain point?

Actually he rarely stays landless for long as long as there christard rulers; one of them usually hands him a temple holding after some years. Happened multiple times for me.
Hmm, hasn't happen to me yet, but I've only held Rome for 20 years now. And there's a new pope there now that actually likes me - he even has a +25 modifier for me crushing a (catholic) revolt - funny guy this pope.

And it's beginning to look like there might not be any crusade at all in my game because catholic MA has dropped to zero. I didn't expect that to happen, sure I won some 10 holly wars against them over the last 40 years and took Rome, but I did much worse to them in my previous game and they've endured. Must be all those heretics popping all over the map in the middle of already general chaos and civil wars. If catholics beat them down they get +1 MA, but if they lose they get -5 MA. And they've lost more than a couple times, so heretics, heretics everywhere. I'm almost disappointed, only the ERE and the muslims look like a threat now.

Brinko

Arcane
Is Ibadi it's own religion as well? I know that was something they talked about yet it's still just a heresy.

Zzz

Savant
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I don't know if it's a mistake, but currently all of CK2 including Rajas is 67% off at the steam store.

I couldn't resist buying the rest of the DLC after the Old Gods, but I bet it goes 75% off during the summer sale...

KoolNoodles

Arcane
This fucking game. Downloadable Content For This Game: SHOWING 1 - 3 OF 43

It's a good game, but jesus fuck Paradox. This used to be Game+expansion territory. It's disgusting. :deadhorse:

moraes

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
This is the new Paradox marketing strategy: sell the base game for cheap and profit from DLCs/Expansions. I bought the base game for ~$20 but accounting for all DLC even I don't know how much I spent. Probably more than every other game in the last 3 years.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
There are only three or four expansions worth getting as they really add to the game. The rest is either portraits, music or some other superficial cosmetic crap.

And regarding music you can easily find a mod that includes all the music from Medieval TW and the first CK. Which gives you enough of a library. I've mentioned it quite a few times in this thread. Portrait mods for CK2 also usually have a version for those without the dlc, so you won't need those either. The rest is up to you.

KoolNoodles

Arcane
Yeah I'm aware, I've added my own music/portraits and only picked up the "big" DLC on a steep discount, plus the ruler-creator. So in the end I've probably spent ~$40. Probably.

Just wish we didn't have to get our games piecemeal. I'm sure we all wish that. It just smacked me in the face how much DLC there was, when I was looking at grabbing Judaism/Raja expansions. And I thought, "Who am I kidding, I haven't even played a full Norse game". STRATEGY BACKFIRED PARADOX

Abelian

Somebody's Alt
As much as I hate video game monetization and micro-transactions (Oblivion horse armor DLC, anyone?), I am pretty satisfied with Paradox's model. The DLC's are all cosmetic (portraits, music, units, ruler designer and cosmetic editor), the expansions include additions to the base game. Also, the constant sales allow players to buy the base game cheaply while those who want to support the company can but the extra content. Lastly, there are a few sales each year where players can buy everything except for the most recent expansion at a 75% or greater discount.

Kattze

Andhaira
Andhaira
After listening records of lectures about medieval history for some time I have realised how authentic and fun CK2 was before retinues were added. Retinues killed all the fun. You don't have to care about your asshole vassals, because you can roflstomp wars without their help. And if vassals act up, you can roflstomp them with retinues too. So, no sweet, sweet backstabbing and kinslaying internal politics we all love Medieval times for.

Best solution would be to have a temporary title for a retinue commander. Would be very useful in simulating palace coups in ERE and Muslim world.

Vaarna_Aarne

Best solution would be to have a temporary title for a retinue commander. Would be very useful in simulating palace coups in ERE and Muslim world.
That'd be a neat idea.

sser

Arcane
Developer
Paradox' DLC Palooza 2014 Cosmetics 4 Lyfe approach to business is alright, only because I ultimately end up buying their full games for like $10 a month after release anyway.

mondblut

Arcane
Anybody inherited a holy order as a merchant republic? Fun things happen. As an empire-level norse republic, I vassalized the jomsvikings, and once vassalized, a warchief of my dynasty could become a legitimate heir of the republic, whether designated or being the eldest dynast. When he becomes a doge, you get a weird mixture of feudalism and the republic:

1. All trade posts on the territory of my vassal kingdom-level republics (I had Pomerania, Lithuania, Finland...) and duchy republics disappear. You can't build new ones because "can't build in other republics".
2. With the exception of Sweden. For some reason (I was Gotland, but the empire was Britannia, and swedish kingdom is a vassal republic) swedish trade posts remained and I could build new ones.
3. Likewise, trade posts inside demesne, in direct county vassals, and outside the empire remained, and new ones could be built.
4. You don't get "wrong kind of liege" penalty neither with feudal vassals nor with burgher vassals.
5. However, the cities you own personally are "wrong king of holding" and suffer from tax penalty.
6. The inheritance remains patrician, and you keep your palace.
7. But you can increase CA to medium, revoke titles and do everything else a feudal lord can.

mondblut

Arcane
2. With the exception of Sweden. For some reason (I was Gotland, but the empire was Britannia, and swedish kingdom is a vassal republic) swedish trade posts remained and I could build new ones.

Ahh, I got it now: the swedish prince mayor was landlocked, and so he remained open elective while all coastal dukes and kings went patrician elective.

Also, you are unable to marry anybody to anything in this mode. And baronies are "wrong holding type" too, not just cities. Still, if you want to larp the Holy Merchant Order of Microsoft, whose income is crippled by piracy yet everyone is forced to pay them homage, and who doesn't need to marry when he can rape anything in his dungeon whenever a new vice-CEO is necessary, it might be amusing to play. Just make sure to keep your vassal CEOs landlocked, lest they opt to use linux.

The three most powerful realms in my game (by army numbers):

3. Kingdom of Sicily (me)
2. Byzantine Empire
1. County of Lower Fuckinstan

Fucking adventurers.

Vaarna_Aarne

Btw, Paradox is hiring more peeps to work on CK2, which is a joy of joys since it means more expansions.

... And more times I need to go over the txt files again...

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
...and more money I will want to waste on one singleplayer game :negative:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom