Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

CKII is released.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Personally I think in HRE they should finally create an all-new set of mechanics for it (it needs to be much more loose, so it doesn't end up solely composed of Germans and as the grand central blob). And while at it, do something about the way Karlings keep surviving.

I am going to disagree. What the HRE needs isn't special mechanics to make it more loose (after all for parts of the period it was much more coherent, and things could have gone differently, leading to a much more powerful and central monarch there), what is needed is a massive change to crown authority. It shouldn't just be low/med/high, it should be lots of little laws that add up to being those and it should be difficult to move up the ladder, especially in multicultural kingdoms/empires.

The Karlings are a problem though (mostly just because they gangbang everyone who tries to supplant them in TOG start). No idea what to do there.

Actually having Low Crown Authority isn't a big of a deal from what I've experienced anyway.
It's holdings that lets you climb up from the low rank. Keeping your prime duchy well-developed and stocked with gold and army is key factor in getting that crown.
Then once you get up there - don't take more counties for yourself, instead spread out the power between count vassals, while expanding your demesne by strictly building more castles in your capital county. A 4-castle capital is strong as hell when backed up with a 20 martial marshal and retinues.

As for Karlings. They hardly work together maybe an alliance here and there - but they warred each other too. I played as Count of Nassau and took out Germany from a Karling, from then on, I just backed every revolt against a Karling kingdom with my army. Eventually Italy is ruled by an italian and Aquitane went their own way, Bavaria gets swallowed by Hungary (Karling vs Tengris lol) and the remaining Karlings only held on to a mess of France and western Europe.

germany.png

mondblut

Arcane
don't take more counties for yourself, instead spread out the power between count vassals, while expanding your demesne by strictly building more castles in your capital county.

Since when keeping as many counties as you can and filling them with cities exclusively is not the only way to play? Did I miss some epic update like "rejoice, cities can no longer be taxed" or something?

Borelli

Arcane
If he played as Count of Nassau it means he is landlocked so no point in building cities.

RK47

Patron
Cities in Capital County is a bad pick, yes. Ever since they made that change, I've been going Castle spam most of the time.

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
Cities in Capital County is a bad pick, yes. Ever since they made that change, I've been going Castle spam most of the time.

What change? I haven't really kept up-to-date with patches lately.

RK47

Patron
levy in capital duchy gets bonus 25%.double if its in capital county. so a castle in capital is worth a lot more men n gives more bang per troop upgrade built.

Last edited:
Is there a release date for Rajas yet?

Someone on the Paradox forum posted:

"Rajas of India will be available March 2014 for PC/Mac/Linux for $14.99/ €14.99 / £9.99 on Steam."

http://www.shacknews.com/article/82842/crusader-kings-ii-rajas-of-india-expansion-coming-in-march

http://www.incgamers.com/2014/01/cru...dox-con-report

Don't know how reliable it is though.

Well we're a little over halfway into March... :(

25th

RK47

Patron
one city is worth the investment due to Universities that spread economic techs around.
Yes, but every county needs a temple and a city first before you can build a second castle anyway.

Abelian

Somebody's Alt
How much do you guys help your vassal barons/mayors/bishops with developing their fiefs? I tend to build a few military structures, universities and ports in the beginning, since they have a bigger effect when I have a smaller territory, but otherwise I usually focus on castles I own directly.

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum...Rajas-of-India-Patchnotes-and-Ask-us-anything

- Characters can now have up to five lovers at the same time.
- Impregnation of lovers is now handled in the code.
:hero:

- Added flag 'feminist = yes' to religion scripts (defines that a religion is not prejudiced against female rulers).

:nocountryforshitposters:

How much do you guys help your vassal barons/mayors/bishops with developing their fiefs? I tend to build a few military structures, universities and ports in the beginning, since they have a bigger effect when I have a smaller territory, but otherwise I usually focus on castles I own directly.

Mayors directly under me (that I intend to keep under me) always receive an initial +income building or two to help give them a jumpstart in improving themselves. All of my direct vassals get +tech buildings when I have loademoney. Everyone else can die in a fire if they want me to help them out. If they want dosh then they need to find their own jews to banish.

RK47

Patron
Never really cared about vassal situations.
There's some merit in boosting income by giving mayors a starter upgrade - but I've never prioritized cities as much with Levy 2.0 changes.
You just want troops now, and high martial kings are worth it when paired with capital county castles.
I had a possessed King of Germany guided by the Voice of Jesus +20 Martial, he raised 10k personal levy alone from a single duchy pre-1000 AD.
He died and has a Martial 3 son. It dropped to 6k.

Also, debating whether to form HRE or not.
Having the Pope under you is nice though.

Last edited:

mondblut

Arcane
If he played as Count of Nassau it means he is landlocked so no point in building cities.

Was he going to stay a count of Nassau forever or something? Somebody else could have my Nassau for all its worth while I am resettling in Brugge and Venice, ffs.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
What's the best Duchy RK?
I think it's one of the Danish duchies. Denmark has prepostrously high holding numbers AND nothing but coastal provinces.

Was he going to stay a count of Nassau forever or something? Somebody else could have my Nassau for all its worth while I am resettling in Brugge and Venice, ffs.
Yea it's kinda like whenever I go on those "Rus Genocide, best day of my life" campaigns starting with random Finnish chief, I eventually resettle into Estonia and Livland. Not because it has the highest slot province, or any shit like that. But because of all the coastal provinces that make cities shit out money.

RK47

Patron

Flanders.
Capital has 6 slot. And it consists of 6 counties.
That's the size of a small kingdom.
I'd relocate yes, but by then it really didn't matter anymore. You're running at 10k levy raised from a mere 4 county duchy - 40 gold income yet all the work is being done by the 5-10k retinue.
So why is levy important? Discourage revolts. It's very very hard for anyone to match your levy. The AI is just awful at managing their upgrades - if you beat them in levy - that's it. They'll never ever catch up.
If you revolted with just merc backing but poor levy, what would happen is that some of his faction would try to fight back once the dust is settled - but with a capital levy of 5000, the chances are very remote. They're just too spent of a force to attempt it. If they do that, open your wallet, double down with merc, hit the mastermind's county/their major army. Done.

Frankly, once you start gaming the retinue system with archers it got too easy. And victory is just a formality at that point. Use levy for defensive wars while your 10k retinue just assault every pagan holding.

Even the tech tree is laughable.
Who took anything but military organization once they got a kingdom going?
Who wanted anything else but Legalism?
Only economy had some kind of decision-making for it.

eric__s

ass hater
Developer
Probably the whole Kiev/Chernigov/Pereyaslavl, Holstein/Jylland/Sjaeland or Baghdad/Tigris/Kermanshah/Tabriz areas. All these duchies are loaded and contiguous. Flanders/Valois/Brabant is good and has the advantage of being on the sea, but it's not as good as either of the other places I think. Sicily/Tunis is pretty good and really fun because it's in the center of the map and everyone's going to be at your throat 24/7.

gatdam i am unreasonably excited for the india expansion

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Probably the whole Kiev/Chernigov/Pereyaslavl, Holstein/Jylland/Sjaeland or Baghdad/Tigris/Kermanshah/Tabriz areas. All these duchies are loaded and contiguous. Flanders/Valois/Brabant is good and has the advantage of being on the sea, but it's not as good as either of the other places I think. Sicily/Tunis is pretty good and really fun because it's in the center of the map and everyone's going to be at your throat 24/7.

Most of those aren't actually that good, since a province is worth almost twice as much if it's by sea, because moneymoneymoney makes the medieval world go round. Flanders, Jylland, Sjaelland and any of the mega-rich coastal provinces are king, even less valuable ones like Prussia or Courland are preferable to landlocked duchies like Kiev or Baghdad.

eric__s

ass hater
Developer

Most of those aren't actually that good, since a province is worth almost twice as much if it's by sea, because moneymoneymoney makes the medieval world go round. Flanders, Jylland, Sjaelland and any of the mega-rich coastal provinces are king, even less valuable ones like Prussia or Courland are preferable to landlocked duchies like Kiev or Baghdad.
Maybe! It depends on the part of the world you're playing in, your priorities, if there are any merchant republics around. I play almost exclusively in the east where there are very few merchant republics, let alone sea provinces. As far as I know, that Kiev area has the most city slots - Ruthenia in general is hecka rich - and slots are ultimately more important because you can build universities in them. Money is never an obstacle.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
im checking steam every 15 minutes to see whether steam is downloading any new files or i have to wait longer

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
they don't have (obvious) bugs, but usually screw with the power balance in the game (like, overpowered republics, overpowered normans etc)

RK47

Patron
it's here

ck2%202014-03-25%2022-32-49-98.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom