Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

CKII is released.

KoolNoodles

Arcane
The game stopped working for me yesterday. I have the game on Steam. The launch screen shows up and no DLC is listed and the "Start Crusader Kings 2" button just closes the launcher without actually launching anything.

Paradox forums suck. Any idea what I could try? I already removed the local files and reinstalled and it didn't do any good.

Update any video drivers lately? DirectX? Clean your registry after the uninstall? Those are usual culprits. Can also go to Event Viewer in windows(Start>search Event Viewer) and look at the Programs or Windows tabs right after it fails and see if any errors are popping up.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
So has everyone started work on creating their little CK2->EU4 save yet? I loaded my big Finnish empire at an older save slated in 1300, and started working on making various AI countries as strong as possible (limiting my own expansion to cover only two provinces for Baltic Sea encirclement), in order to have a few interesting Lucky Nations turned on. So far, the AI has managed to achieve great success once I bumped it in the right direction as the pre-eminent British Islands power Alba (Welsh Scotland covering most of the islands, basically) by loading and forming Empire of Britannia there (and promptly started gobbling up everything on the islands, and still hold firmly to Brittany). Now there's one nice big and rich power in the West.

Additionally, I've been making efforts to keep the Basque in Navarra strong enough for reconquista, enriched Muslim cultural diversity (Sunni Despot of Greece is now Greek instead of Bedouin Sultan of Abyssinia), cheated up a Persian mega-revolt to get a big Zoro empire instead of the Arab rag-tag cloth around the Middle-East, SULTAN OF MIGHTY GEORGIA IS IN, the big Frankish superpower in Central Europe (covers all of Italy, controls Northwest Germany, and holds Bavaria) now uses Burgundy as main title so my brian doesn't hurt at Frankish Italy or Bavaria, Empire of Tartaria has started a resurgence on its own (now moved into Georgia, becoming an eminent AI power around the Black Sea), and there's some niggers in Mali. Lie, cheat, steal, occasionally do it legit by accidentally raiding where unwanted AI armies are located, and cheat a shit-ton, but it's starting to look like a much more interesting map for conversion (as long as the damn Burgundians and Welsh keep high Authority).

Sadly Poland manage to fuck itself over in internal strife behind my back, so now there's just Mazovia and Silesia as independent potato states there.

The fact the converter makes a canned mod is actually really good, makes it easy to modify and customize aspects of the whole thing.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
My Norway game is almost ready to convert. I started in 1318, just before Norway enters a personal union wih Sweden and made a Norse Norwegian king in the ruler designer. 15 years later and I had conquered all of Scandinavia and reformed the Norse faith. Now it's 1402 and Christianity is just a bad memory in Scandinavia, half of Sweden has switched to Norwegian culture and I'm basically just hanging around, increasing tech and raiding a bit. The only annoyance is that I occasionally have to save switch to my vassals to prevent them from expanding into Russia, I don't want that land.

Sweden still exists as an independent kingdom in Finland, and Denmark in Jutland.

sser

Arcane
Developer
Does that still apply if you start at the 860s start date? Seems like the map could be very crazy with that far back of a start. What if you conquer all of Europe -- does the EU save have a continental-wide empire ready to conquer the world sans-competition? That'd be pretty hilarious.

Zeriel

Arcane
Yeah, but there is some competition baked in. If you have Sunset Invasion, there will be a premade empire in the Americas, and of course CK2's map covers only the core of Eurasia, there is still stuff like Ming/Xia to deal with. All that said, the ease of conquering the entire worldspace in CK2 combined with the lack of challenge that would merit in EU4 is a big part of why I stopped playing my Byzantium CK2 playthrough. There just isn't much point of converting from CK2 to EU4 unless you switch sides constantly to keep things in balance, or want a super-easy time of EU4.

Zeriel

Arcane
Yeah, but there is some competition baked in. If you have Sunset Invasion, there will be a premade empire in the Americas, and of course CK2's map covers only the core of Eurasia, there is still stuff like Ming/Xia to deal with. All that said, the ease of conquering the entire worldspace in CK2 combined with the lack of challenge that would merit in EU4 is a big part of why I stopped playing my Byzantium CK2 playthrough. There just isn't much point of converting from CK2 to EU4 unless you switch sides constantly to keep things in balance, or want a super-easy time of EU4.

... or if you want to fight your Big Royal-Purple Blob with a small nation.

Yeah, but I like Rome. :| I dunno, I'm just much more interested in the classic Byzantium gameplay in EU, its got that lovely mix of Romanophilism and challenging gameplay. Plus, there's something viscerally weird about fighting to retake your "own" territory, fighting against something you created in the first place. Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but that's just a gut-level feeling I get whenever I switch sides mid-game in EU, for example.

Vaarna_Aarne

In my case I'll probably think of modding some "isolationism" ideas (essentially CB blockers in most cases, especially towards East) if just setting the desired AI powers to Lucky isn't doing the trick, since the general gist behind my expansion was really about security in the face of Crusades and Mongol invasions. I didn't expand to even half the extent before the Seljuks became way too much of a threat and needed to be eliminated, which then led to preparing for Mongol doomstacks.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
WKtzzqd.jpg

Norway, Kingdom of diversity

Vaarna_Aarne

Ain't nuttin'. I set up a trade republic in Holstein in my big Finnish campaign, and at some point I realized that patrician all over the world had jungle fever (seems one of the random marriage events always gets a Mande woman)... The reason I noticed this was because this one dude named Satajalka was a patrician, black as the night, and had 24 martial (I've told about this guy before). Anyway, when the first patch comes and the pagan random-generated shields are regenerated, guess what the game gave that motherfucker's house as a coat of arms? A brown fucking lightningbolt.

He was the bestest grand mayor vassal I ever had.

Zeriel

Arcane
I don't really disagree, but what is the alternative? Not playing Paradox games? (And besides, most singleplayer games are super easy once you understand them, so it's not like that is something unique to map-painting.)

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Who says the fun in CK2 is to be had in map painting? Also check out about a dozen posts I made about the subject all over this thread. Alternatively go download Memento Mori and try to survive in CK2 without save scumming.

KoolNoodles

Arcane
Praying that random events don't kill off your family isn't gameplay.

Ah, but if you consider that so called "random events" are an element of the game(and they are), you can play your strategy to best minimize their effect, and that is gameplay. Marry off to people with high fertility traits, change laws of succession to keep you going, don't send family into battle or start unnecessary wars, link up your daughters to the "family" line in some way, etc.

It's not so much about try to beat random events, it's about preparing for the worst case scenario and the strategy and planning that can go into that. Something like Memento Mori is a heck of a lot more fun than having almost no obstacles to progression. Also, part of "gameplay" is losing, and sometimes the best games are those where you fight and crawl and scrape.....and then your last heir chokes on a chicken bone at a feast in his honor.

OK, marrying lustful women and clicking on the clearly better succession laws that you should be using anyway is about 10s of gameplay. Then you are back to praying to the RNG.

Last edited:
Uh. It's a simulation. If you don't want RNG, then why are you playing a simulation? RNG is the most entertaining part of the game.
What does being a simulation have to do with having an RNG? Shouldn't it actually be the other way around? Real life is deterministic.

Furthermore, there is good RNG and bad RNG. Good RNG is when something happens and you are forced to react to it. Bad RNG is starting up the game and a week later dying because you rolled a critical failure walking down the stairs and fell on your face. There's no skill or player interaction in that, you just up and die because the dice that are rolled every day came up badly once.

What does being a simulation have to do with having an RNG? Shouldn't it actually be the other way around? Real life is deterministic.

Furthermore, there is good RNG and bad RNG. Good RNG is when something happens and you are forced to react to it. Bad RNG is starting up the game and a week later dying because you rolled a critical failure walking down the stairs and fell on your face. There's no skill or player interaction in that, you just up and die because the dice that are rolled every day came up badly once.

Hello? Chaos Thoery called, it is laughing its ass off at you.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom