Tacticular Cancer: We'll have your balls

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

CKII is released.

Discussion in 'Strategy Gaming' started by Trash, Feb 14, 2012.

1. raw Arcane

raw
    :salute::codexisfor:
    ^ Top  
  2. raw Arcane

raw
    The host controls time.
    ^ Top  
  3. curry Augur

curry
    Strange. Usually in Paradox games everyone gets to control the time.
    ^ Top  
  4. Malakal Arcane

Malakal
    I found out why antipopes suck. Once church authority hit the floor at 0 the entire Europe was engulfed in heresies. Whats worse even the most competent court chaplains at 26 learning had about 1.5% to convert provinces. I had to take steps to remedy the situation and kill off the antipopes/claim papacy for mine antipope. Otherwise I faced massive civil wars centered around religious differences - my vassals started converting and that brings nasty modifiers to loyalty. Lesson learned.

Also found out a bug with antipopes. Once you win a war with the Pope over the Papacy your antipope (now Pope in Rome) takes with himself his bishopric. And even worse, old claimants to the tile remain as antipopes - at one point I had 2 antipopes and a Pope... apparently winning a war isnt enough to make them drop their claim.
    ^ Top  
  5. curry Augur

curry
    That's a bug then. I read it at Paradoxplaza that Anti-Popes are supposed to disappear after a Pope is deposed.
    ^ Top  
  6. Raghar Augur

Raghar
    Are you sure it doesn't work correctly?
    ^ Top  
  7. Harpsichord Learned Patron

Harpsichord
    Okay, I've played two games so far and here are my impressions:

1) First game I began as the Count of Leinster. Married my way into the right positions, carefully pressed my my ducal claim after I created the title to the Duchy of Leinster, and after a long time and a lot of fanangingly finally became the King of Ireland. Of course, it's still Ireland so I'm much poorer than many dukes and even a good number of counts. The French somehow managed to get their froggy hands on Connacht and it took me a very long time to get it away from them. Actually, France has it's hands on pretty much everything on that map, it's a bit absurd.

All in all, a fun first game.

2) I decided that I wanted to have a go at some infidels and played as the King of Castille. Wars start happening immediately and the muslims wipe out Galicia in the first year. They start taking hunks out of Leon and so I start grabbing up their territory as they move in on my two brothers. As I'm doing so I notice France move in and start conquering the Muslims as well. By the year 1080 France has conquered half of the Iberian Peninsula and the game I had originally imagined transpiring is a far cry from what has actually happened. I'm pretty much the only Iberian king of any relevance, control more muslim provinces than christian ones, and France has a much stronger presence on the peninsula than I do.

My only thought is that Spain is pretty much unplayable without a huge nerf to France going on, and perhaps the way muslims/pagans are handled entirely. There's nothing like any sort of interesting level of intrigue or incentive to unite the Iberian Kings against the muslims. It's just a wild land grab vs Muslims that aren't really all that fucking tough when they are getting raped by France and the HRE along with whatever kingdom you chose to play at the same time.
    Seriously, I would love to hear it too...
    ^ Top  
  8. curry Augur

curry
    Mod the Crown Authority, make the lowest ones give very little vassal levies and make increasing the Authority very difficult.
    ^ Top  
  9. Malakal Arcane

Malakal
    In my game Spain has fallen to muslims and even southern France is now called Mauretania so it changes greatly. Golden Horde is probing England now with a relatively succesful naval invasion after they conquered Denmark... while Rus still stands. Also needs some balancing and forcing the mongols to actually stop ignoring enemies near them in favor of faraway weaker powers.
    ^ Top  
  10. GarfunkeL Racism Expert

GarfunkeL
    Yeah, never make assumptions about Pdox AI / events after only a single game.
    ^ Top  
  11. Trash Simply fabulous

Trash
    They already introduced it in the last patch. While it is still a workaround imo it's at least more elegant than I first thought. At least I will still see muslims invade France and Italy. I like that.

Diplo AI: Will not declare religious wars for overseas territories that de jure belong to an independent duke or king of its own faith
    ^ Top  
  12. raw Arcane

raw

The solution is the latest patch, now France will go to north africa instead of ibera.
    ^ Top  
  13. HardDeck Dumbfuck!!

Unwanted
    The next big question is , can Magna Mundi beat what CK2 has created?
    ^ Top  
  14. Tigranes Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Tigranes
    Torment: Tides of Numenera
    Having an interesting game as the Duke of Aquitaine. Naturally, the Capet Emperor decided to go all out for Spain, so I took the time to consolidate my personal holdings. The bulk of the work was done by the son of the starting Duke, reigning from 1080 to currently 1123 - relying on a good steward and an excellent spymaster (wife & princess of Byzantium), progressively landed claims and eventually took over the Duchy of Toulouse. Unfortunately, I was then in a weird situation where I was the Duke of Aquitaine, Poitou, Auvergne, Gascogne and one more I forget, but the Duke of Toulouse remained Duke because he had a single holding - a barony in Paris itself. Over about five years, I managed to exploit his Elective succession laws by assassinating his heir, then immediately the Duke himself, installing my own son and heir as the Duke of Toulouse.

I do agree that assassinations can be overpowered, but in this case it was not the easiest thing - I spent about 300 gold, was exposed twice, and was even imprisoned by the King of France (which cost 150 gold to then ransom), all to nick off a random courtier and a duke, and to win the Duchy title to lands I had already conquered. But now my younger son is the Duke of Toulouse, and I am looking to consolidate his status as heir to everything else (I have Elective Law as well). Irony being that the terrible Crown Authority of France proper prevents me from using primogeniture. I'm hoping the succession goes smoothly (and soon), then I will own about half of France; next step would then be to ally a couple of other dukes and declare war on the King (who, to his credit, has now conquered most of the eastern coast of Spain.)
    ^ Top  
  15. HardDeck Dumbfuck!!

Unwanted
    Bros i have a question, i'm a duke of 2 duchies, my son will succeed only 1 duchy and the other duchy has 'title loss over succession' so i presume i will loose the title and land after death of current ruller. What can i do so my son inherits 2 duchies and not only 1 ?
    ^ Top  
  16. Tigranes Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Tigranes
    Check your succession laws. It will be on Gavelkind, which splits your realm so everyone can have something.

Hover over the options for different kinds of laws to see what prerequisites you need to change your succession laws, and what each of them does.

(You can, by the way, assassinate your own son if need be.)
    ^ Top  
  17. Flying Spaghetti Monster Magister

Flying Spaghetti Monster
    Damnit, I'm never going to have time for anything else... Fucking paradox is going to ruin this semester.
    ^ Top  
  18. Dicksmoker Augur

Dicksmoker
    Just started looking into Paradox Interactive.

Holy shit they have a lot of games. It's a bit daunting. Anyone have a good guide on what titles/series are solid and what should be avoided? With that many games there's bound to be a few duds.

Is the Crusader Kings series basically the "pinnacle" of what they've done so far with the whole RTwP grand strategy genre or are the games more different with a variety of specific strengths and weaknesses?
    ^ Top  
  19. Monocause Augur

Monocause
    I'll copypaste what I wrote in the LP thread, hope you don't mind:

OK, "demoing" (with a "demo" update) it and it is a confirmed buy for me. First played as the king of Abisynia, conquered Harer, had a lot of fun managing internal politics, got facerolled by jihadists. When they declared war first I managed to avert disaster by assasinating the Saana ruler, prompting the state into civil war. The second time it didn't work because they apparently changed the succesion rights and so I quit. Good fun. The Ethiopian states are definitely doable, I made a couple of beginner's mistakes - first of all I should have concentrated on improving my holdings' levy size, which I didn't and my army size was not up to par, second - I granted a couple of counties to my courtier's not realizing that cities and bishoprics also count against my demesne limit and it is these that I should grant.

Playing the doux of Achaia right now. Planning to improve my holdings and wait until the time is right to strike for independence. The emperor is still to strong to do that now but his time is fast approaching.

Some of you guys complained in the other thread about assasinations directed at your ruler and about mercs. First of all - if you get assasinated then you failed at internal politics. Keep your spymaster uncovering plots in your capital province - and this is what he should be doing all the time, if you need him for something else then give him a different job but remember to recall him home. Have your vassals, your wife and your council (definitely your spymaster!) at positive relations. Ruler's diplomacy is an incredibly important stat so when you tutor your children be sure to pick someone who's at least a decent diplomat - and you should deffo consider someone with the Grey Eminence or Charismatic Negotiator traits. Seriously, you can manage with your ruler being horrible at everything else but a horrible diplomat will make you stand on your head just to keep everyone barely content, sending the chancellor and chaplain around your provinces like mad.

Mercs are expensive enough, I think. The cheapest merc company I've seen costs around 90 GP to hire and the monthly costs were killing me. If you were able to mass mercs then your provincial income needs rebalancing.

Some tips:

- Female courtiers are great for snatching talented males off other courts. Be sure to arrange a matrilineal marriage, then the guy comes to your court. My current 24 STE councilmember is a German I got doing just that. Use the 'characters' tab to search for unmarried foreign courtiers with good skills. Matrilineals are easy to arrange (perhaps even too easy), just be sure to pick either a lowborn or someone of a small house, comparable in prestige to your courtier's.
    - When it comes to males, pairing talented males with talented women gets you talented children at the court. Also snatching talented women from abroad make great tutors for your children, just be sure they've got the same religion.
    - When accepting foreigners at your court be sure to please them and then demand conversion.
    - Arrange marriages of your not-so-talented courtiers so that they got sent abroad. You won't have any positions for them anyway and they probably stop liking you at some point, can become your enemies. Make these fools a non-issue by arranging a matrilineal marriage with the daughter of Ali El-Zabim, a fishmonger from Tunis and wish them a fair voyage to the Moslem lands.

Also here's a screen of my current game: http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb219/Le_voyeur/ck22012-02-1819-49-01-17.jpg
    ^ Top  
  20. Tigranes Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Tigranes
    Dude, at this point you should just try playing a Paradox title, you're not going to learn a lot more by asking another fifty questions. I think it's pretty clear that give it some time and you will enjoy them. Also, search function. Also, demos. Seriously, what?

But just to be nice: (1) EU3 is the most 'familiar' story of building empires and painting the map your colour; (2) Vicky 2 is more economic and HOI3 micromanagementy, thus more derivative and perhaps not the best to start with; (3) CK2 is not very difficult, the most polished and provides the most lulz with its family orientation, but again isn't your typical map-painter.

Now go, try, buy.
    ^ Top  
  21. IDtenT Contact me for a good time Patron

IDtenT
    Divinity: Original Sin
    I'm playing as Von Habsburg. Almost done creating Burgundy, just need to elect a family member as my next duke. :D
    ^ Top  
  22. XenomorphII Learned

XenomorphII
    Saying that CK2 is not very difficult can be extremely misleading. Depending on who and where you are, and also how lucky you are, the game can either be a cake walk or nigh impossible. For example tried to play a game as one of the free Welsh counts (Family Gwynn). I had barely managed to get the Duchy of Deubarth when England came for all my titles and stomped me into oblivion. (I had planed to get Wales under my control then offer vassalage to the English crown to avoid this, but was too slow.)
    ^ Top  
  23. IDtenT Contact me for a good time Patron

IDtenT
    Divinity: Original Sin
    Mostly luck. I've united Wales before without ever having a threat from the English, mostly because they were in a perpetual war with their dukes.
    ^ Top  
  24. HardDeck Dumbfuck!!

Unwanted
    CK2 is the most playable one once you get to know it, after it is EU3 Vicky2 with herpaderpa stats and somewhere at the end is clickfest mess of HOI 3.

so yea CK2-->Eu3---------------------->Vicky2-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------->Hoi3
    ^ Top  
  25. Vaarna_Aarne Ask me about anime Patron

Vaarna_Aarne
    MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
    You are a wrong.
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above links helps us pay the hosting bills)