Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Legends Of Ellaria - a new FPS/RTS/RPG sandbox game

AngryKobold

Arcane
RPG with RTS control - Sounds interesting?

The idea is to make something interesting and create an entirely new gaming experience, in the process we are trying to involve the gamer community in the game to get as many feedbacks as possible.

So what do you think of a fantasy action game with RTS, does it sound interesting?

I think it's not gonna bring any new gaming experience. Because it sounds like BALDUR'S GATE.

Cazzeris

The idea is to make something interesting and create an entirely new gaming experience, in the process we are trying to involve the gamer community in the game to get as many feedbacks as possible.

So what do you think of a fantasy action game with RTS, does it sound interesting?

I think it's not gonna bring any new gaming experience. Because it sounds like BALDUR'S GATE.
Remember that it'll be made in first-person view!!!
First-person view!!!

That's new!!!:bounce:

Cadmus

Arcane

First-person view!!!

No, it's "First Person Shooter" because while strategically building castles, you will also be shooting lasers or something.

Black_Willow

Arcane
I of the Dragon - RPG where you play as a dragon and you can build and upgrade cities. Heavy inspiration from Magic Carpet (which you should also check out)
Divinity Dragon Commander - similar idea like the previous one, but expanded with a conversation system with NPCs and faction reputation.
Sadly I think that good folks at Larian didn't play IOTD. If they did DC would have been much better in RTS mode.
Why? IotD was quite the crap game, what can anyone learn from it?

Black_Willow

Arcane

First-person view!!!

No, it's "First Person Shooter" because while strategically building castles, you will also be shooting lasers or something.
So, a fantasy Battlezone clone?

Cazzeris

First-person view!!!

Yaay, more new things.

The point is that they are mixing FPS with RPG and RTS.
Today it seems to be impossible to do something totally new, developers only mix things that are already done and saying that their game will change gaming experience

A user named cat

Instantly thought of Spellforce and how it managed to half-ass both its RTS and RPG elements into two forgettable games.

DraQ

Arcane
Why? IotD was quite the crap game, what can anyone learn from it?
A lot of stuff.
Terrain, interesting spells, multi-part bases and fortifications, some elements of visual style, map sizes, even having actual infantry to showcase the scale and power of spells/dragons/warmachines.

IoTD was a mediocre game but had a lots of awesome elements.
You could also made a much better game out of it using only subset of what it already had implemented.

Yaay, more new things.

The point is that they are mixing FPS with RPG and RTS.
Today it seems to be impossible to do something totally new, developers only mix things that are already done and saying that their game will change gaming experience
Well, I could develop a hard-on for such combination if it was done well.

Cazzeris

I think that there isn't even any "good enough" combination of FPS and RPG.
S.T.A.L.K.E.R. is too FPS'ish, Fallout: New Vegas is too RPG'ish and I have no comments to Bioshock and Fallout 3.

Cadmus

Arcane
S.T.A.L.K.E.R. is too FPS'ish, Fallout: New Vegas is too RPG'ish and I have no comments to Bioshock and Fallout 3.
I don't know why you'd expect there to be one, just look how incredibly difficult it is to make even a good RPG or FPS. Mixing them is insanely hard.

AngryKobold

Arcane
Right, FPS. So the product not only belongs to an already defined genre... same as Magic Carpet- Uprising- Battlezone- whatever... but is also one of the worst gameplay concepts. The title of the worst gameplay concept belongs to AOD. Nasty to be done properly for many reasons; primarily, because it results with a game for two different players. You can mix RTS and RPG all right, but then comes the FPS part. RPG players don't like it and RTS players don't like it.

It does not matter when it's all illusory. So we're dealing with stylized game focused at one thing. But then, the "mix of FPS with RPG and RTS" becomes just a marketing buzzwords addressed to naive dimwits. I will be surprised if it will not end like that.

DraQ

Arcane
STALKER has no unambiguous RPG elements.

You have TES games and Deus Ex, overall merging FPS and RPG doesn't seem like a big deal, you just need to be careful when designing part of the skill system that governs combat.

Cazzeris

I don't know why you'd expect there to be one, just look how incredibly difficult it is to make even a good RPG or FPS. Mixing them is insanely hard.
LET ME DREAM!!!!

DraQ, I'd like a turn-based RPG in which you have to aim with full-realistic bullets mechanics and RPG's abilities would determinate the damage (with critical damage and those things).

It's hard to explain, and probably I'd be the only person who'll enjoy it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Abelian

Somebody's Alt
we want the community to participate in the developing of the game.

Good luck with that.

Wow, a multiplayer! Now THAT’S going to be fun.
Remember that mod where someone put nicholas cage face on everything?
[for multiplayer,] Will we all need to buy the game, or do we just need to have the one licensed copy?
So I can have like a warrior-wizard-assassin? Cool!!
Fire golems were so uber.
Will I be able to play the game with my tablet?
did you actually buy diablo III? why man, i heard that it really sucked. my friend got a torrent, and we couldn’t even get it to start.

All quotes are taken from the website's comments section.

Last edited:

Adrian909

Literate
..., actually we already passed the major obstacles of the development

Such as?

... we want the community to participate in the developing of the game.

How so?
Such as:

Such as making a destructible terrain that looks pretty, making transition from FPS to RTS in real time, making things happen when you're not around them (I.E they are not in your map), and so on.

How So?
Since it's a new concept, it includes new menus and new game play. Although we planned everything and are already developing the game, we need as many feedbacks as possible. We hope to gain a large community as we go that will be able to test the Alpha and help shape the game

DraQ

Arcane
we want the community to participate in the developing of the game.

Good luck with that.

Wow, a multiplayer! Now THAT’S going to be fun.
Remember that mod where someone put nicholas cage face on everything?
[for multiplayer,] Will we all need to buy the game, or do we just need to have the one licensed copy?
So I can have like a warrior-wizard-assassin? Cool!!
Fire golems were so uber.
Will I be able to play the game with my tablet?
did you actually buy diablo III? why man, i heard that it really sucked. my friend got a torrent, and we couldn’t even get it to start.

All quotes are taken from the website's comments section.
Nice, will truly be the next step in rpgs.
They're going to need a bigger better community.

Nyast

Cipher
My intuition tells me it's not gonna work too well.

I like to play in FPS view to be immersed.

RTS-style clicking & controlling isn't immersive.

Those two things almost contradict with each other. I'd be surprised if it worked..

DraQ

Arcane
Now back to my traditionally achronological "look, I missed something there!" replies:

DraQ, I'd like a turn-based RPG in which you have to aim with full-realistic bullets mechanics and RPG's abilities would determinate the damage (with critical damage and those things).

It's hard to explain, and probably I'd be the only person who'll enjoy it.
Why the fuck would you want skill to influence damage when you'd already have detailed ballistics?
If you pop someone in the head with, say, 7.62 NATO does it magically deal less damage because you aren't a skilled shooter?

I could see a point of having a TB game where you'd go into FPP for party members and tell them exactly where you'd want them to shoot (with iron sights even), then the mechanics would take over determining how good are they at firing in the exact specified direction and then ballistics would be modelled, but with damage scaling it would just be stupid - "Fuck got sprayed and hit by 20 .50 BMG, good thing the guy was such a lousy shoot that the bullets got limp and just gave me bruises".
:hearnoevil:
You'll be shooting bawww.
I mean bow.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Doesn't Mount and Blade already do that, with Mounted Combat on top of that? The management aspects are a bit underdeveloped, but it's not like a 50/50 split between "FPS" (so no melee weapons?) and RTS would work too well anyway (One part has to be the minigame of the other part, to avoid producing a schizophrenic experience, unless they are completely integrated like in BattleZone without entering a command bunker).

DraQ

Arcane
"FPS" (so no melee weapons?)
doom0017-500x375.png

(One part has to be the minigame of the other part, to avoid producing a schizophrenic experience, unless they are completely integrated like in BattleZone without entering a command bunker).
And why shouldn't they be completely integrated? Making different parts separate minigames *IS* what produces a schizophrenic experience.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom