Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Cities : Skylines

Perkel

Arcane
Xxt35B2.jpg

Turjan

Arcane
Double rails for trains? About time.
Have there ever been any other than that? Anyway, there's new textures now, yay. Even for elevated rails, like in the new Alexanderplatz station.

Turjan

Arcane
They actually increased the building limits! Who would have thought.

Patch notes for 1.2.2-f2
  • Zone limit increased 50%
  • Building limit increased 50%
  • Road segment limit increased 12,5%
  • Fixed some issues when loading saves with missing assets.
  • Commercial specializations exposed in the Asset Editor for DLC owners
  • Fixed an issue where pre-DLC vehicles would fail to load in the Asset Editor
  • AfterDark badge added on top of assets thumbnails in the Template selector of the asset editor which uses AfterDark only features
  • Content Manager also disable the asset using DLC feature which wont work in the base game and offer a link to the DLC store page
  • Fixed Tropical and European cliff textures showing disgusting lines
  • After Dark expansion: Text: UI: The mouse over text of the Specializations income is incorrect.
  • After Dark expansion: LOC: RUS: Asset Editor: The "Day/Night Control" text is cut off.
  • After Dark expansion: Text: Menu: Incorrect mouse over tooltip text for Prisoners and Cyclists in the City Statistics menu.
  • Fixed tree lod shadow clipping with tall trees
  • Fixed bikes coming out of the plane at airports
  • Updated the storage method for Paradox account credentials
  • Fixed the day/night control slider label position in Map and Asset editor
That means I can finally go back to my first city now.​

Caim

Arcane
What does that even mean, building limits? How much buildings you can have? ANd how does that work with the roads and the zones?

Turjan

Arcane
What does that even mean, building limits? How much buildings you can have? ANd how does that work with the roads and the zones?
The game has several coded limits after which you cannot add anything of that type to a map. Sometimes, there's another, slightly lower limit, where you cannot add anything anymore but the game can (like the building limit, where the game can still grow zoned buildings for a short while after you can't do anything anymore).

The limits that trigger the "cannot build any more objects of this type" message were until today:

Building limit > 32256, if map > 8192
District limit >= 127
Node limit or segment limit > 32256; if map 16384
Lane limit > 258048 ; if map 131072.
Prop limit >65531; if map >50000
Transport line limit >= 251
Tree limitt >=250000 ; if game 262139
Zone block limit >= 32256; if map >= 16384

There are also other limits, like vehicle limits (16k), that don't trigger the message but can also be crippling.

Many of the limits are never reached, like the lane limit, although there's a buggy mod around that adds phantom lanes and triggers that limit (those can be removed with another mod). The tree limit is easily reached, but can also be quadrupled with a mod that is unlikely to break (trees don't tie into anything game-relevant). Prop limits are user-placed props, and that isn't even implemented in the game (can be done with a mod though). For district and transport line limits you have to try, although it has happened to a few people.

A few users have hit the segment limit, but you have to use a very dense network of roads or water pipes. All roads or pipes are broken into segments. You can actually look for yourself what everything is with a mod like "Show More Limits". Just have the mod on, build something and watch the readout. Node numbers are always slightly lower than segment numbers, because water pipes have only nodes where they are branching or at the ends, unlike roads, which have nodes between all segments.

The building limit is the easiest to hit. I hit it the first time after building up roughly 13 tiles (nearly everyone uses 25). Buildings are all service buildings, unique buildings, parks and buildings that grow in zoned areas, but also things like pillars of elevated roads and train tracks or the invisible thing that spawns seagulls. I had wished for doubling the limit, but 50% should be fine. I don't think I will ever fill the 25 tiles so that they look like a square, something that happened when I was done with the vanilla 9 tiles.

Agent numbers have unfortunately not been increased, as that is what bogs the game down already now.

Turjan

Arcane
Tracks and station over road are live:

Now only the wires are out of place, but I guess that's only a question of time.

Fart Master

Savant
so I'm getting a new PC, is this game worth buying for 15 euro bucks if you loved Simcity 4? Is it a worthy successor?

Caim

Arcane
so I'm getting a new PC, is this game worth buying for 15 euro bucks if you loved Simcity 4? Is it a worthy successor?
Cities: Skylines is more of Sim City game that the latest Sim City game by EA is. It's very familiar if you played Sim City 4, but there are far more options available to build your city. You won't be building entire regions like in Sim City 4, but you'll have a ton of fun building a single city in this game. Do note that you have to unlock objects as you play through: for every X number of people living in your city you get access to new objects, zones and ways to manage your city. So no starting with high rise apartments and nuclear reactors.

Unfortunately there is no build-in terrain editor for when you're playing, so you gotta row with the oars that you have. And while you can manage water a bit via dams and your sewage pipes, be careful about where you place things lest your entire city drowns in shit.

But if you loved Sim City 4 and can get this game for 15 bucks, sure!

Fart Master

Savant
yeah that was the impression I got myself. Can't wait to play, been itching for an actual good builder for ages. I'd just play simcity4 but it runs like shit on anything above 1 core

Turjan

Arcane
Do note that you have to unlock objects as you play through: for every X number of people living in your city you get access to new objects, zones and ways to manage your city. So no starting with high rise apartments and nuclear reactors.
The game already comes with a mod to change that when you download it.
Unfortunately there is no build-in terrain editor for when you're playing, so you gotta row with the oars that you have. And while you can manage water a bit via dams and your sewage pipes, be careful about where you place things lest your entire city drowns in shit.
There's mods for both of this, too. Playing with water is actually more fun than it looks at first glimpse.

I downloaded this map:
64027BFEB34A2684C540FC0D676255C28C63984E
It looked like this after a while:

ujb0bIj.jpg

I have since reworked it a bit more. All in-game.

A bit of water in the background makes things look a bit more varied:
kke5GEf.jpg

Last edited:

Night Goat

The Immovable Autism
Patron
No Fun Allowed
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
I've been playing this game and learning as I go. Some things I'm wondering: is there any reason to build low-density commercial and residential zones after the high-density ones become available? And is there a reason to diversify my industries, or should I just keep building oil stuff because it appears to be the most profitable?

cw8

Cipher
I've been playing this game and learning as I go. Some things I'm wondering: is there any reason to build low-density commercial and residential zones after the high-density ones become available? And is there a reason to diversify my industries, or should I just keep building oil stuff because it appears to be the most profitable?

Low density commercial and residential for suburban areas feel more realistic? Low wealth low density residential for slum-like areas and high wealth low density residentials for bungalows and such. I diversify my industries, and keep them away from my residential and commercial areas. I particularly like farms but too bad there aren't big farm fields like in Simcity 4. I don't really play for profit and money. I build the city I wanna build. :)

Turjan

Arcane
Yup, there isn't really a strict necessity for anything.
People in low-density residential areas are richer (on level per level basis) than those in high-density buildings. It's also the place where children grow up, which isn't strictly necessary, as new residents can also move into the city instead of just being raised in the city.
Low-density commercial is more acceptable in residential areas, as far as noise and resulting sickness goes.

I wouldn't stick to specialized industries (like oil) only. As soon as the oil runs out (20 to 30 minutes real-time or so), all oil has to be imported and traffic gets very heavy, with associated infrastructure needs and traffic issues. Specialized industries don't level up. In contrast, fully upgraded generic industry (level 3) doesn't produce much pollution outside of a tiny radius, employs lots of well-educated people and is the single most profitable thing in the game. It produces the goods your commercial areas need. It's nice to have at least some forest and agricultural industries in town, to keep traffic to manageable levels. Agricultural areas also don't drag down land value, and you can have them next to your fanciest neighborhoods.

Angthoron

Arcane
What kind of arrangements do you guys have between industrial and commercial zones? Either I'm failing at planning, or one of the traffic AI mods fucked things up, but basically it's a constant congestion whatever I do at the moment, and I've never quite seen it get this bad.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I had to give up myself. The traffic problems turned the game from enjoyable to I'm-going-to-have-an-heart-attack for me.

Angthoron

Arcane
Funny enough, when I was just having things in a "Whatever, they'll sort themselves out" way, the congestions were only moderately bad. Turning off some traffic lights helped. Then I figured to try to optimize and oh boy.

Turjan

Arcane
My experiences with Traffic++ and similar programs have been mixed. Usually, you can help a situation for a short moment, but I have the feeling that the game then adjusts and makes all changes for naught. I just use different roads to deal with this nowadays.

Regarding arrangements, I cannot say that I follow a specific route. I just fiddle around with traffic until it works.

Dumbfuck
Codex 2012
So...
#1 is there any easy way to tone down the night-time?

Sure it adds to the game mechanics (so wouldn't want it disabled), but if you can't see WTF you're doing half the time it feels stupid

Saw a few mods, that adjust some colors and add a glow around your cursor, but that only goes 5% of the way

#2 are there any mods for random events, like disasters (earthquake/tornado) but maybe more than just that? Thinking major accident which blocks off a main artery, nuclear meltdown, economic recession, crime wave, anything that disturbs the equilibrium. Tsunami would be cool destroying your seafront, disabling power stations and mixing garbage and pollution into the water supply

At the moment it doesn't feel dynamic enough. It is 100% simulation (mechanically responds to inputs) and 0% game, 80/20 would be better

Mod scene seems heavily tilted toward aesthetics, and changing the scale of content, or I'm not looking in the right place (Steam workshop)

Last edited:
Dumbfuck
Codex 2012
Also any mods that go into more detail on the economics? Remember SC4 I think broke down your manufacturing into electronics, chemicals, etc.

Dynamics involving neighboring regions (even tho they don't exist / can't see them) would add to gameplay, like you could be a dormitory city, tourist attraction or have industrial workers commute in from off-map. Have kind of set that up within my region (created separate cities to make people commute) but it's zero-sum and pointless. Needs some external stimulus which could be completely random

Built-in tourism seems very basic, tho my city might not be developed enough

Turjan

Arcane
SC4 had dirty, manufacturing and high-tech industries, in medium and high density variants. Low density was agriculture. Economic recessions etc. sound more like Tropico. Anyway, here you just have the four specialized industries that never upgrade and the three tier generic one, and that's it. Tourism is indeed still very basic, even though that was a main point of the extension.

Regarding disasters as disturbance of the normal flow, that sounds again like Tropico. There, the disasters were all pretty minor (your tsunami destroyed maybe 4 buildings), so you could have that during game flow. In SC4, I only know that people used that for some fun after saving the game for the last time that day, and usually you just reloaded a savegame from before. You can make awesome tsunamis in Cities Skylines, however, they are also awesomely destructive.

I have pretty great spots for waterfalls on my current map:

DA612CC9E1E616D388F785E8EAEF3DCD32F55442

However, this game has real water physics, so I went for a less impressive solution. See that wave?

DE02A17F92EE28804B6731D8C08BAF23F8497558

You can see the resistance of houses to the flow:

95C5B4FEB99A63DC7E3FBD2DCCFD36110F623024

This will pretty much first destroy much of your city:

628DB660FB4F36E1877C5DE10F12C75160CCADEF

Note how the ground texture changes with the water level change.

Keep in mind that even the remaining parts of the city will abandon if they are not completely self-reliant, and as many services rely on being accessible from everywhere, the city is pretty much toast at this point, even the parts that aren't flooded.

I used this test to decide on where to put the gate of the "old town":

9770BE9FC52F3A7A5092C01DD659FFB079528437

However, due to lack of garbage pickup and no goods for the stores anymore, this part didn't really survive either.

CDB1A29A8EFF6C83616FBB4E837ED37EA5A01F39

For some reason, the land value didn't keep up with the times. So, yeah, you certainly can disrupt your city somewhat in this game, if you want.

Last edited:
Dumbfuck
Codex 2012
SC4 had dirty, manufacturing and high-tech industries, in medium and high density variants. Low density was agriculture. Economic recessions etc. sound more like Tropico. Anyway, here you just have the four specialized industries that never upgrade and the three tier generic one, and that's it. Tourism is indeed still very basic, even though that was a main point of the extension.

Regarding disasters as disturbance of the normal flow, that sounds again like Tropico. There, the disasters were all pretty minor (your tsunami destroyed maybe 4 buildings), so you could have that during game flow. In SC4, I only know that people used that for some fun after saving the game for the last time that day, and usually you just reloaded a savegame from before. You can make awesome tsunamis in Cities Skylines, however, they are also awesomely destructive.

I have pretty great spots for waterfalls on my current map:

DA612CC9E1E616D388F785E8EAEF3DCD32F55442

However, this game has real water physics, so I went for a less impressive solution. See that wave?

DE02A17F92EE28804B6731D8C08BAF23F8497558

You can see the resistance of houses to the flow:

95C5B4FEB99A63DC7E3FBD2DCCFD36110F623024

This will pretty much first destroy much of your city:

628DB660FB4F36E1877C5DE10F12C75160CCADEF

Note how the ground texture changes with the water level change.

Keep in mind that even the remaining parts of the city will abandon if they are not completely self-reliant, and as many services rely on being accessible from everywhere, the city is pretty much toast at this point, even the parts that aren't flooded.

I used this test to decide on where to put the gate of the "old town":

9770BE9FC52F3A7A5092C01DD659FFB079528437

However, due to lack of garbage pickup and no goods for the stores anymore, this part didn't really survive either.

CDB1A29A8EFF6C83616FBB4E837ED37EA5A01F39

For some reason, the land value didn't keep up with the times. So, yeah, you certainly can disrupt your city somewhat in this game, if you want.
Sure and all very interesting but manually deciding when to have a disaster defeats the purpose. I want them to be random, so that they are challenges not the equivalent of a kid destroying his sandcastle

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom