Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Game News Cities: Skylines released. Breaks Paradox sales records

Discussion in 'Tacticular News & Content' started by Whisky, Mar 12, 2015.

1. Whisky The Solution

Whisky
    Parrots:
    Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. thesheeep Arcane

thesheeep
    Parrots:
    Hyvää laatua myy paljon tietokonepelia.
    Bow before my superior* knowledge of the Finnish tongue.

I'll definitely play this one. Now Maxis should feel extra bad about deliving such crappy Sim Cities in the past. Beaten by a small-medium sized Finnish dev team. Well, if Maxis still existed.

*Superior in relation to the 99% of the population not knowing Finnish at all.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  3. EG Nullified

EG
    Parrots:
    Looks great.

How long until Paradox gets sued into the ground?

^ Top  
  4. catfood AGAIN

catfood
    Parrots:
    Is it good?

^ Top  
  5. Poos Arcane

Poos
    Parrots:
    the buzz is strong in this one

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Angthoron Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Angthoron
    Parrots:
    It's good, but somewhat on the easy side, the biggest challenge is managing the traffic in larger cities, if traffic fucks up, all your services are worthless.

^ Top  
  7. EG Nullified

EG
    Parrots:
    Aye; very easy to get ahead early on; pretty similar to Sim City 4 in that regard.

Really do wish the grid remained visible, as setting down something like water pipes evenly requires you to drag them out, find out you're off, release them, and try to hit the mark from memory.

Kills my 4670k on anything but lowest settings at 1980x. You'll probably want a dedicated graphics card for this.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2015
    ^ Top  
  8. thesheeep Arcane

thesheeep
    Parrots:
    Dude, you'll want a dedicated graphics card for any game with actual 3D graphics ;)

[lecture mode]
    But seriously, I am also currently working on a game that displays an absurdly large number of "things" on the screen. That is always hard on any PC, but especially on the GPU. So many meshes with shaders that have to be rendered, so many things that potentially have logic behind them and take away RAM.
    There is a reason why open world games like Minecraft/Realm Explorer/Skyrim, that would actually have a lot of stuff to show, either reduce that stuff to a very close distance and show blank terrain in the distance (Skyrim) or have a very reduced viewing range altogether (Minecraft/etc.). It is not incompetence on the dev side. It is just not something any engine is good at, because it is absurdly hard to do.
    [/lecture mode]

^ Top  
  9. EG Nullified

EG
    Parrots:
    Aye; never bothered to order that longer cable for my old Radeon 5650 when I built the new computer. Up to this game, just the integrated graphics has been doing rather well. Always a bit disappointing to hit a limit. :)

^ Top  
  10. sser Arcane Cuck

sser
    Parrots:
    I'm seeing this game everywhere. Seems like a total hit, leapfrogging over the corpse of Sim City.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Luzur Prestigious Gentleman Good Sir

Luzur
    Parrots:
    So its Sim City but by Swedes?

^ Top  
  12. thesheeep Arcane

thesheeep
    Parrots:
    Finns.
    Paradox only acts as the publisher here. Hard to say how much influence they had on the actual development.

^ Top  
  13. Konjad High on potatoes Patron

Konjad
    Parrots:
    Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
    I guess they let the developers mostly do what they want and release the game they want as long as they can later milk with dozens of DLCs :M

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Eyestabber Arcane Patron

Eyestabber
    Parrots:
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
    Bah, my PC can't run this game (20 fps at best). Not sure if bad optimization is to blame, or 2011 Laptop is to blame. Anyway, this game has a 9.0 metacritic user score, looks and feels a lot like what Simcity should have been. Major :incline: all around.

^ Top  
  15. Angthoron Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Angthoron
    Parrots:
    Does it have dedicated wam a dedicated GPU? If your laptop only has a built-in Intel chip, might as well toss it out of the window for gaming purposes.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  16. Eyestabber Arcane Patron

Eyestabber
    Parrots:
    Nah man, I've a GTX 260M. Perfectly capable of running Crysis at maximum settings. This game, however, was unplayable for me and dumping configs to the bare minimum didn't help (went from 13 to 20 fps).

^ Top  
  17. Angthoron Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Angthoron
    Parrots:
    After a quick googling:

Maybe this'll help.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  18. Eyestabber Arcane Patron

Eyestabber
    Parrots:
    Will try that when I get home. If this solution works I will name you my "favoritest Codex Staffer", a huge honor, mind you.

I did not attempt to solve my perfomance issues because I thought the game was too new for my old Laptop, so I half expected it not to work. If it's not a hardware issue, but rather just a simple matter of "game refuses to run on Nvidia Card, runs on crappy onboard intel card instead. Beat it with a stick and force it to use the Nvidia one" I will be very, VERY happy.

^ Top  
  19. Eyestabber Arcane Patron

Eyestabber
    Parrots:

IT WOOOOOOORKEEED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1111111

And I'm not even using the bare minimum specs either. Running things smoothly on medium quality. Also, I've a 670M, not 260M as I stated earlier.

Thanks a lot man! I will make sure to brofist your posts regularly in 2016. :salute:

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Angthoron Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Angthoron
    Parrots:
    Great - thought that the horrible performance sounded fishy. Incorrect defaulting is a somewhat common issue with laptop GPUs, I think. Have fun!

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  21. Eyestabber Arcane Patron

Eyestabber
    Parrots:
    [​IMG]

So here's a view of my very first city. So far I have 3 districts: Ground Zero (LD Residential and LD Commercial), Metro Park (HD Residential, HD Commercial and Offices) and Little Detroit (Industry, Power Plants, Garbage).

I am really loving the game so far. Dealing with trafic is not a brainless exercise of spamming the biggest road you can buy, but rather an exercise of looking for bottlenecks and coming up with solutions. Good stuff. Setting up buss routes is kinda annoying, tho, but I'm sure there's a mod out there to "fix" this. And the subway seem to be REALLY effective.

At first I was raising taxes left and right, thinking the consequences were rather negligible. And they are...up to a certain point! After reaching the 15% mark, people just started to pack their things and LEAVE. I had to lower taxes BELLOW my former comfort zone to get them to come back. Bottom line: if your taxes are keeping you afloat, don't be a greedy asshole.

All things considered, the game really IS what the new Simcity SHOULD HAVE BEEN. If anyone is still on the fence about buying this masterpiece, watch this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJb7C2OE9xM

And, ofc, THIS:

:takemymoney::takemymoney::takemymoney:

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  22. Shannow Waster of Time

Shannow
    Parrots:
    Did it for you. (Cause Ang is my favourite staffer, too.)

^ Top  
  23. Zarniwoop Destiny Cleanser Patron

Zarniwoop
    Parrots:
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    Only for laptops with that piece of shit scourge on the planet, Optimus. My internal Intel HD Graphix is permanently turned off.

I might need to try this one, since every other city builder since Simcity 4 has been utter shit.

^ Top  
  24. Eyestabber Arcane Patron

Eyestabber
    Parrots:
    Amen to that.

^ Top  
  25. Whisky The Solution

Whisky
    Parrots:
    Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
    Skylines is great. Game itself is easy, very easy, but the options for designing cities makes it the best successor to Simcity 4. Road elevation options alone make the design potential increase tenfold.

^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)