Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Chuchel - new game from Amanita Design

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Steam page:

CHUCHEL is a comedy adventure game from the creators of Machinarium, Botanicula and Samorost. Help Chuchel to chase down the mysterious villain and retrieve his cherished cherry!

The reward? A hearty situational humor, wild music and sounds by the band DVA and hundreds of hilarious animations that warm up even the coldest of souls. Plus cherries.

Mail-01.jpg

Be ready to:
  • Crack up. Many times
  • Guide Chuchel through a set of original puzzles
  • Enjoy hundreds of hilarious animations
  • Beat stages inspired by classic video games
  • Interact with dozens of funky characters
  • Please your ears with soundtrack by the IGF Award-winning band DVA
  • Build an inexplicable passion for cherries
  • Laugh. A lot.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Reviews: https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2018/03/06/chuchel-review/

Wot I Think: Chuchel

chuch00.jpg

Chuchel is a tour de force of animation, every scene so vibrant and hilarious, colourful and manic, the slightest tweaks in character facial expressions eliciting guffaws. Every new scene is a glorious delight just to look at, before you even start playing with it. And then, as you click on every element on the screen, delightful, silly and gorgeous things happen. This is a game where I find myself trying to work out what is the correct solution to any given puzzle, just so I can avoid clicking on it before I’ve clicked on everything else. I exhaust every repeated joke until it loops, don’t mind when they do, and call people in from other rooms to see the funniest moments. Chuchel is, beyond belief, wonderful.

From Amanita, who have previously brought us utterly beautiful games like Machinarium, Samorost and Botanicula, this is in some ways a diversion, in others true to their wondrously animated form. Whereas their games are usually better described as organic adventure puzzles, Chuchel is a much more straightforward puzzle game. It still plays in the familiar manner of just clicking on things on the screen to see what they do, and then delighting when they do it, and here it’s all about a little fuzzy black creature desperately trying to get his hands on a cherry.

chuch05.jpg

The game plays out in a number of mini-chapters, almost like episodes of a mad cartoon, where a sequence of screens or challenges or puzzles will end with the game’s name crashing into screen, invariably squishing our hero, then launching off in another lunatic direction. The persistent theme is that little Chuchel wants that damned cherry, and is constantly being thwarted by a little pink bug creature, and a giant omnipotent brown hairy hand that descends from the top of the screen. One scene you’ll be trying to arrange bizarre amphibious creatures such that they provide a crude Rube Goldberg means of reaching a high-up space, in another you’ll just be laughing your face off as you try to crack the head of a poor egg-like monstrosity through a series of sequences. There are mini arcade games, there are extended animated sequences to just sit and thoroughly enjoy, there are incredibly bizarre action sequences in which you must punch away an army of invading sentient teeth.

chuch01.jpg

This is daft happiness at its purest, titrated into gaming. And it’s always with the slightest edge of mania, ensuring it never feels cutesy or saccharine. Chuchel himself has what might politely be described as anger issues, and the universe’s peculiar obsession with preventing his reaching the food he so desperately wants to eat seems to increasingly drive him towards the world’s most adorable breakdown. The violence is squarely in the Tom & Jerry variety, giant hammers blatting creatures into daft shapes, everything reset to normal at the start of a new scene.

It’s so long since I’ve laughed so often, and so loudly, at a game. And joyously, my three year old son has joined in with the giggling. I’m very aware, from the experience of the first 37 years of my life, how unhelpful it can be for reviews to fixate on what a game offers to a parent and child playing together, so I’m going to write about that specifically and separately in another article, but for now let me just make the aside that no other game has had me and my boy both laughing out loud at the same jokes, turning to each other and telling each other how much we’re loving it.

Frustratingly, it makes one – one – mistake, in a run otherwise close to perfection. There are two arcade sequences in there that go on for too long. A slightly imaginative take on Space Invaders just overstays its welcome, but worse is a dreary section in which you dodge obstacles in a side-scrolling obstacle course for far, far too long. Neither is difficult, but especially the latter feels jarringly incongruous within the rest of the game.

chuch09.jpg

And that’s it. That’s my list of criticisms. Chuchel really is that good. It’s over-stuffed with wonderful ideas, ludicrous imagination, and hilarious nonsense. Its bright cheerfulness is an oasis in the world of gaming, and its humour, all delivered through the gibberish-speak of its extraordinary coterie of imaginary creatures, is incessantly funny.

Oh, and the music! The music. Goodness me, it’s incredible stuff, vocal excellence by DVA, that perfectly accompanies the mad jibber-jabber from the game’s characters.

Chuchel is a creation of pure joy, an absolute masterclass in silliness, with pleasingly involved puzzles to boot. It’s a giant cuddle of a game, interesting to all ages, and with a manic edge that never slows down.

Chuchel is out 7th March, 3pm, on Windows and Mac, via Steam and GOG.

https://www.pcgamesn.com/chuchel/chuchel-review

Machinarium devs' Chuchel is one of the funniest games we've played

chuche.jpg

Chuchel is a hairy, angry, but loveable speck. An acorn shell sits upside-down on his scribbly head while grouchy orange lips frame a mouth that can enlarge to any size. He has the temperament of a toddler and is therefore a creature of primal passions: he loves to laugh and sing out of tune, will explore new surroundings with his tongue, and descends into a strop if proceedings do not go his way. But, most of all, he wants to eat a tasty cherry. His devastating flaw is that he will stop at nothing to do so.

Kukel plays the rival in this double act. Essentially a pink bean with rodent features, Kukel is inferior to Chuchel in size and strength, but smarter, quicker, and always up for mischief. He stops his counterpart from getting to the cherry, not necessarily because he wants it for himself, but because that is his role. If Chuchel is Wile E. Coyote then Kukel is the Road Runner - as if to make the connection explicit, at one point, a tonne weight falls out of the sky and squashes Chuchel after he foolishly presses a red button.

c.jpg

Developers Amanita Design - known for Machinarium, Botanicula, and the Samorost series - get 30 short episodes out of this classic comedy routine. Many of them begin and end the same way: Kukel runs away from Chuchel with his cherry, Kukel then loses the cherry, which leaves Chuchel to get it back - often to his detriment. Your purpose in all of this is to match Chuchel’s childlike curiosity by clicking around the screen to see what trouble you can get him into. It is not so much a puzzle game as it is a slapstick comedy revealed one mouse click at a time. This is Tom and Jerry for the touchscreen generation.

A supporting cast of goof-faced blobs and everyday objects tease and pulverise Chuchel as you send him after the cherry. Dentures with eyes gnash at him from inside a glass, a cruel plate of jelly dangles the prized fruit just out of reach, while a twist of irony sees a much larger cherry chomp Chuchel in two. Yes, there is tame violence in places - the likes of which UK censors would struggle to approve for young children - but it is in good taste; the kind of playful transgression that appeals to all ages. The same goes for the cruder moments of absurdity and potty humour. This includes a moment when Chuchel drinks too much water and pees on other characters, another when he recklessly cracks open the shell of a sentient egg by repeatedly smashing it with a spoon, and a psychedelic trip experienced after licking a mushroom.

chuchel_0.jpg

The jokes come thick and fast, but it is not always the visuals that have you belly laugh. Instead, it is often the silly sounds that bring it all to life. In fact, the range of boings, zips, and plops are the game’s standout feature, hands down - though, that onomatopoeia does not do it justice, as the bizarre library of cartoon sounds defies such easy translation. Even the strange squelch that sounds when you bring up the pause menu delighted me enough to enter and exit it several times in a row for no other reason than to indulge my childish amusement. I just wanted to hear it wriggle around in my ears once again.

That is what Chuchel does best: it brings out the kid in you, encouraging you to prod at new sights and creatures, just to see what will happen. This is to be expected from Amanita Design, as their wordless adventures have always projected wonder from the screen, whether it is a journey through a scrap heap city or a musical romp around a leafy habitat. What is new with Chuchel is the format. Amanita’s games have always had jokes, but not at this frequency, and certainly not as the basis of every interaction.

Well, almost - the gags are broken up occasionally with episodes that recreate classic arcade games. Space Invaders, Pac-Man, and Tetris all feature, as well as modern classics Angry Birds and Flappy Bird. Rather than feeling cheap, these arcade game reinterpretations provide a welcome change in pace and challenge, and are refashioned with Amanita’s mastery of comedic sound, which the world is undoubtedly better off for.

chu.jpg

Videogame comedy has come a long way in recent years but it is epitomised by the hit-or-miss pratfalls of games such as Goat Simulator, which repurpose the incidental hilarity of ragdoll physics and graphical glitches as deliberate jokes. Jazzpunk is a more concerted effort to refit traditional gags for a first-person game, taking directly and learning from screwball comedy, spoofs, and Looney Tunes to create its magnificent punchlines.

Chuchel is another game born from that approach as it hearkens back to the comedy greats of the 20th century. It reuses and, in many cases, expands on classic jokes to bolster its own running gag. The result is one of the most confident and genuinely funny videogames you can play. The final stroke of brilliance is that the episodic format means you can always go back to your favourite part and laugh at it all over again.

Last edited by a moderator:

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
This game is grate for kids under 10 yo - it's actually tuned for kids, unlike most modern platformers with Teletubbies art style and autistically hard gameplay.

Plus it will go nicely with my fresh batch of pot. Most batshit bonkers Amanita game yet.

Boleskine

Arcane
https://adventuregamers.com/articles/view/34683

CHUCHEL review
Written by Joe Keeley — March 7, 2018

c-fp__huge.jpg

Very good

4 stars out of 5
Scoring System - Editorial Policies
Our Verdict:

Slighter than other Amanita offerings, CHUCHEL whizzes you through an assortment of easy but highly comical sketches, succeeding in its primary aim of making you laugh.

The Good:
  • Revels in its whimsical bizarreness
  • Audio is timed perfectly to the gameplay
  • Bright and outlandish art
  • Quick pace keeps things fresh
The Bad:
  • Very short at around two hours
  • Offers minimal challenge
Amanita Design are known for their off-the-wall productions like the Samorost series and Machinarium, where real-world logic and spoken language take a back seat to delightful visuals and inventive gameplay. Their latest adventure, CHUCHEL, is no different, though it more closely resembles Botanicula among the indie Czech studio’s previous releases, which should come as no surprise as both were designed by Jaromír Plachý. This game involves a small black ball of fluff as it bundles through a barmy land of anthropomorphised objects in a (literally and often figuratively) fruitless pursuit of its favourite treat. Experienced genre fans can leave their usual pixel-hunting, inventory-combining adventure brains at the door. But while CHUCHEL is slight in both challenge and length, it dispenses more than enough amusing weirdness and variety to make up for it. If you’ve wondered what a children’s picture book might look like if it came alive and took some drugs, this is your chance to find out.

If you’ve seen the Ice Age films, you’ll be familiar with Scrat, the sabre-toothed squirrel who doggedly seeks to find and protect an acorn, even when it means putting his own life at risk. Our orange-capped hero in CHUCHEL is much the same, except with a cherry. The fluffball is accompanied at times by a red rat-like creature who switches between friend (or at least useful ally) and foe – when there’s only one cherry up for grabs, it’s everyone (or everything) for themselves. Occasionally a pair of giant grubby hands will reach from the skies to nab the cherry too. Apart from that, there’s no plot to speak of. Instead, you work your way through thirty self-contained vignettes that could pretty much be played in any order, though you must originally go through them in the prescribed sequence.

A given scenario could last a minute or fifteen, often switching between control schemes and gameplay types from one to the next. Some can be overcome through experimental clicking – essentially trial and error as you interact with everything on the screen. Because the outcomes are so esoteric, you can’t exactly plan a solution, but it’s fun seeing what happens nonetheless. For example, an early scene has the cherry bouncing endlessly on a round green frog. Clicking the creature opens a pictographic context menu, giving you the options to try to reach or leap for the prize. You can also attempt to use your little friend, but to no avail. It’s only once you’ve exhausted all these choices that a new (and much more whimsically absurd) solution presents itself. The entertainment comes from watching these failed attempts, the mounting frustration yet dogged determination growing in the exasperated expressions of our lead.

View all screenshots »
That’s not to say there’s no complexity at all. There's a handful of levels that require more manipulation. One sees you surrounded by bathroom items, like a walking toothbrush and a dozy-eyed soap dispenser, with the aim being to nab the cherry from a glass that also contains an angry set of dentures. Another scenario is set in a forest where the cherry is guarded by a yellow bear, which requires you to use body-manipulating beans to sneak past it. These areas take longer to complete, providing some welcome thought requirement to balance the easier tasks elsewhere, and are paced nicely amongst the more bite-sized sequences. If you do get stuck, a clickable help sign will drop down to provide hints (or sometimes an outright solution) after a while, though you’ll probably be fine without it.

Some dexterity is occasionally required, like making use of the WASD keys to take part in a robot battle, flying on a bird while dodging smiling blobs, or leaping at aliens in a Space Invaders knock-off. Frankly, you can button mash your way through many of these as they are very forgiving, so don’t let them put you off if anything beyond point-and-click seems scary. In CHUCHEL variety is the spice of life, not difficulty. Everything is thrown at the wall and all of it sticks. I didn’t think there were any dud sections, the joy being found in the continually unexpected, and you’ll move through them all at such a rate that there’s no time to get bored.

Everything in CHUCHEL tends to communicate by grunting, laughing, humming and making other incomprehensible noises. While there’s no spoken dialogue, you won’t miss it – the accompanying sounds convey everything you need to know and bring it all vividly to life. There’s never a moment without something unique to hear. Everything from the obvious, such as the smooth, upbeat electronic and string soundtrack, to the subtle, like light drumming whenever characters move, is pitch-perfect. I didn’t quite appreciate how well-timed every action was to some sort of sound until I took a moment to focus on it. You could almost classify this as musical adventure, due to how instrumental the soundscape is in building atmosphere, the oddball cast even arbitrarily breaking into 'song' at certain points.

In addition to the audio treats, this is an adventure packed with charming animations. The lead character is wonderfully expressive, using its flexible stick arms and legs to display everything from excitement to despondence to tripped-out relaxation. Yet it isn’t only the protagonist who displays been such wonderfully animated detail. I’m not sure if I’ve ever seen a smug jelly before, but it’s achieved with ease here thanks to a little smile, a tilted arm and a wobbly laugh. Or a quacking egg which, when the crown of its head is taken off with a spoon, nonchalantly pops on a flowering hat. It’s downright delightful. And if there’s any opportunity for something to have eyes and a mouth, it will.

View all screenshots »
In stark contrast to other Amanita games, throughout most of CHUCHEL the background artwork is sparse. Usually the only detail consists of a few scratches, specks of dirt or doodles against an off-white backdrop. The focus is on the foreground, though even these are not exactly full. This can mean there aren’t many hotspots on-screen, which is a shame since the interactions are always great, but it contributes heavily to the clean and brightly coloured picture book aesthetic. There’s a nice hand-drawn quality to the art. It’s intentionally raw and not overly fine, but boasts personality at every turn. Prying open the top of a creature’s head (stay with me here…) reveals a pool of water, from which three other jaunty beasts pop out, surrounded by bubbles and dancing fish. Elsewhere, ink blobs fired into space turn into stars, which eventually manage to knock out the moon. There’s a fine line between genuine absurdist humour played for laughs and randomness simply for its own sake, but CHUCHEL treads it well thanks to its innate charm.

As wonderful as the experience is while it lasts, CHUCHEL is undeniably short at just about two hours. While I had no qualms with my time spent with the game, it isn’t something I’m likely to revisit, though that’s not necessarily a negative, as I think I experienced everything the first time around. This feels like the type of game that would be particularly ideal on mobile devices, to dip into when there’s a few minutes to spare. Nevertheless, playing it in one sitting on the computer was highly enjoyable – I loved the quirky humour, the variety of interactions, and the appealing animations. So CHUCHEL certainly comes recommended, but make sure you know what you’re getting into. The entire thing is best summarised as a semi-interactive wacky sketch show, with the occasional traditional game-y element thrown in for good measure. Amanita seem to care more about making you laugh than engaging your grey matter, and that’s fine by me.

https://www.pcgamer.com/chuchel-reivew/
SNAcQErB44fxWpQYQVWoxn-480-80.jpg

Chuchel review
By Phil Savage 3 hours ago

NEED TO KNOW
What is it?
An adventure game about an irritable blob who likes fruit.
Expect to pay: $10/ÂŁ8
Developer: Amanita Design
Publisher: In-house
Reviewed on: Core i5-6600K, 16GB RAM, GTX 1070
Multiplayer: None
Link: Official site

Chuchel is a comedy point-'n-click adventure game from Amanita Design, the creators of Machinarium and Botanicula. Your job is to guide a sort of hairy ball of uncontrolled emotion—the titular Chuchel—on a quest to retrieve a cherry. Throughout, you'll encounter obstacles in the form of creatures and contraptions and silly situations. Along the way, you'll be foiled frequently by Chuchel's nemesis, Kekel.

I'm being prosaic, but it's useful to have a grounding in Chuchel's handful of definable core elements. Chuchel is an adventure game, but its interactions aren't grounded by logic, and its puzzles aren't really the point. Chuchel has a story, but it's deliberately playful and surreal. Botanicula is its closest counterpart in systems and style, but where that had an ecosystem backing up its absurdism, Chuchel is a series of vignettes linked by tone, aesthetic, and an insatiable desire for a fleshy drupe.

On the first screen, you find Chuchel asleep in a cardboard box, surrounded by objects and animals. You don't so much control Chuchel as influence the environment by clicking on the things around the room. Click on a bird, and it toots merrily—until Chuchel throws a slipper at it. Click on the elephant, and it trumpets musically—until Chuchel throws an alarm clock into its trunk. Each item or creature elicits a response. The joy of playing Chuchel is in their discovery.

2wFxH7aZU7HdunggCt5YqQ-650-80.jpg

The upshot is that progression isn't a goal in and of itself, and so the puzzles aren't challenging as much as they're an excuse for funny little moments. It's a good way to reframe the traditional point-'n-click structure. Plenty of adventure games contain questionable logic, but often that's a failing. In Chuchel, it's the point. The solution to the first puzzle is to click on a bottle of water twice, causing it to pour out of the head of a greenish, er, thing, into the mouth of a bird who loses balance and falls into Chuchel's mouth. At which point a Gilliam-esque hand descends from the screen, picks up Chuchel and the cherry, and tosses them into the next area.
Some areas are 'solved' by simply clicking on the only thing on the screen that you can interact with. Some involve short, surprising minigames. Others are more elaborate and complex, requiring you to click on the right things in a specific order. It rarely feels like a chore—every interaction is an often funny celebration of animation and music. It uses its lead character's selfish impulsiveness to great effect, crafting funny situations that feel weird and anarchic and warm hearted. And if you really can't work out a route to the next screen, you can click the button at the top-left of the screen to be shown the solution. Chuchel isn't looking to frustrate.

RWFxtCoXABHeEoLx5bWeV4-650-80.jpg

As in Botanicula, the whole thing is enlivened by the sound design—specifically the quirky, inventive music of Czech band DVA. Chuchel is sparse in its presentation—some screens feature just an assortment of creatures (and a cherry) against a plain, light pastel background. But the music and expressiveness of the characters imbue the action with a richness that elevates the minimalist art.

On balance, I think I slightly prefer Botanicula—its thematic cohesion and more overt musical playfulness resonated with me more. But that takes little away from the many things Chuchel does well. While I rarely found it laugh-out-loud funny, there's a joyfulness to its scenarios that I couldn't help but smile at. And, while it can often feel arbitrarily surreal, it grounds itself well with a central relationship between Chuchel and rodent-ish nemesis Kekel that's heartwarming to watch unfold.

The Verdict
Read our review policy
Chuchel
Joyful and surprising, even when you're cracking open an anthropomorphised egg.

Last edited:

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Lovely animations, some genuinely funny moments, very easy game. Buy it after you have a kid.

Better yet, buy them Sierra On-Line and LucasArts adventure games, as my parents did for me when I was a kid.

It took me weeks or months to work through them, plus I got grounded for dialing Sierra's pay-by-the-minute hintline that one time, but they made a much bigger impression on me than easy kiddie games. Just look at me, twenty-five years later, lecturing a Greek man on an Internet forum!

Villagkouras

Arcane
Lovely animations, some genuinely funny moments, very easy game. Buy it after you have a kid.

Better yet, buy them Sierra On-Line and LucasArts adventure games, as my parents did for me when I was a kid.

It took me weeks or months to work through them, plus I got grounded for dialing Sierra's pay-by-the-minute hintline that one time, but they made a much bigger impression on me than easy kiddie games. Just look at me, twenty-five years later, lecturing a Greek man on an Internet forum!

There's no argument that these are better games, but you have to take into account language barrier for non native english speakers. Amanita games are in gibberish, a 6-7 year old from USA could understand as much as a same age kid from Greece. This doesn't apply in classic Sierra or LucasArts. I remember myself playing these games 25 years ago, I couldn't understand puns or type commands due to English. Games like Gobliins were much more enjoyable for me at that time due to light usage of language.

Last edited:

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Trust me, I didn't understand the puns or innuendo at age 10, either.

Fair point about the language barrier, plus very young kids who can barely read won't get much out of a game that isn't extremely simple.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!

How old were you though? I doubt 6 or 7 yos can play Sierra or LucasArts games. And older kids can only play them if they're native speakers. Vast majority of kids can't speak English, a lot of them can't even read Latin script. For those Chuchel is great (although other Amanita shit like Machinarium or Botanicula are way too hard for kids, goddamn devs man).

Incidentally I slurped up all the Sierra and Lucas adventures when I was 15 or 16, my English skillz extended as far as "I am nice of meet you" and there was no internet or hotlines in my post-commie shithole. We, high-school dorks, only had each other, our collective brains and our parents' fat dictionaries. We still couldn't finish many of them tho. The only adventures I finished without any help was Loom and Conquests of the Longbow (an extremely underappreciated game). Golden times.

Last edited:

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
How old were you though?

I first realized that adventure games existed when I played a demo of SQIV from some promotional or shareware disc, or possibly from some sort of OS demo pre-install. I believe I received SQIV for my birthday, and then Quest for Glory VGA for Christmas, both in 1992 (my birthday is Dec. 17th, a great curse for any child).

So, right around age 10.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Question: Did this Chuchel character feature in any of the older Amanita games? I get a really strong Deja Vu-sensation from seeing him...

...but not as strong as the sensation of the Czech animation. I saw a lot of Czechoslovakian animation when I grew up, and while I've played most of the other Amanita games, this is the first one that seems to capture that particular animation style so well.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Question: Did this Chuchel character feature in any of the older Amanita games? I get a really strong Deja Vu-sensation from seeing him...

...but not as strong as the sensation of the Czech animation. I saw a lot of Czechoslovakian animation when I grew up, and while I've played most of the other Amanita games, this is the first one that seems to capture that particular animation style so well.

This particular character hasn't figured in any previous games. Amanita's schtick is kindda similar, be it Samorost, Machinarium or this.

Czechoslovak animation was world class between 1950s and 1970s and I guess there's still some residual heat from that golden age lingering on our art universitiies (I think the lead animator is a graduate from one of them).

Also can't stop wondering how are Kwans et al. pronouncing Chuchel :D

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom