Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Chronically Triggered: SNES or DS?

Self-Ejected

Drog Black Tooth

Self-Ejected
Which version is better and why?

P.S. There's also the Android/iOS version, but it's probably shit.

Last edited:

Perkel

Arcane
DS version is best version. Though there isn't that much difference between SNES and DS version. Avoid PSX version.

Works well in emulaor

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
I actually prefer the SNES version for the writing, but that may just be nostalgia talking. The bonus 'content' in the DS version is garbage, I'd honestly recommend not even doing it. It's a horrible drawn out fetch quest that requires a shitton of retracing your steps in the exact same spot.

I think the DS version also had some animated cutscenes that were decent though. Or maybe that was the PSX version (which has awful loading times.)

Whichever version you play, don't use frameskipping. Just enjoy the music. Game has awesome fucking music.

Self-Ejected

Drog Black Tooth

Self-Ejected
The DS version uses a new translation, right? Heard they changed the frog companion's dialog a lot, and many fans are p. butthurt about it. Is it big of a deal?

I'm planning to play this on my phone, I can emulate both versions just fine.

Damned Registrations

I just feel like the original writing was better. The way he was rewritten was more faithful to the original japanese (and more accurate in english in case you're some sort of olde english expert for some bizarre reason) but it changed his character to be less noble and more snarky and rough. Maybe it's also a valid take on the character, but after seeing the original, having it changed like that makes him seem like some parallel world knock-off. Like if someone made a spiderman movie and gave him the personality of batman.

Aside from that one guy though, the translation was generally improved. Particularly, a lot of the items and monster names in the original had to be stupid things because of space limitations.

index.php

Arcane
The only people who like the original translation are the ones with nostalgia goggles plastered firmly to their face.

Athelas

Arcane
The PS1 version, it has has emotionally engaging animu cutscenes.

Duraframe300

Arcane
The only people who like the original translation are the ones with nostalgia goggles plastered firmly to their face.

Woolsey translations are a special case because the changes the guy made had quite a bit of personality themselves.

Don't get me wrong. I prefer the ds translation myself due to original intent. But the original snes script still holds a special place in my heart.

And considering all the shit translation changes released today it's impressive how memorable these translations were.

Damned Registrations

The woolsey script made him seem like he remained a kind-hearted person in spite of everything. The original character seems more like he became a jaded prick instead. Take your pick, but I preferred the former. The funny accent was just an amusing quirk that made him more memorable.

Damned Registrations

LOL. Modern phones have better resolution and sound than most of the TVs that game was originally played on.

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
DS, but playing it on a phone is just stupid. Why ruin the fun with touch controls?

Self-Ejected

Drog Black Tooth

Self-Ejected
DS, but playing it on a phone is just stupid. Why ruin the fun with touch controls?
Your mom is stupid. A modern Android phone is the best handheld console ever released.
912192433_574.jpg

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer
Turn-based/Active time stuff is more than playable on the touch screen. Also, most good emulators offer customizable controls, so it's pretty easy to get used to.
Personally, I even managed to play King's Field/Armored Core/Shadow Tower without problems once I got used to the touch screen controls.

Also, gotta agree with Drog. Android device + RetroArch = best portable console ever.

Phage

Arcane
Manlet
Original SNES on emulator. The added DS content is really bad. The PS1 version has like... small loading times and shit, lol.

Mozg

Arcane
Get a savegame from after the intro cuz that shit is so boring

deuxhero

Arcane
Going to say DS version purely because the DS emulator allows mapping throttle to the trigger and I can't get SNES9X to allow that. CT has a lot of dead time and some VERY repetitive battles (Chrono Trigger LOVED to undermine its lack of random encounters by placing respawning fixed encounters everywhere)

Self-Ejected

Drog Black Tooth

Self-Ejected
I'd play the SNES version just because it's less likely to have an emulator bug on Android than the DS one.
DraStic emulator on Android is pretty much the best DS emulator, fast yet very accurate. I've played through all Castlevanias, Megaman ZX, Professor Layton and Phoenix Wright games, zero issues. Also Ghost Trick and 999. It's been a commercial project from an experienced dev right from the start, so it's not as laggy and buggy as DeSmuME.

Damned Registrations

I'd play the SNES version just because it's less likely to have an emulator bug on Android than the DS one.

Get a savegame from after the intro cuz that shit is so boring

No, it includes far reaching c&c such as eating the old guy's lunch or not.
What kind of soulless monsters didn't enjoy taking Marle around and trying to impress her?

Besides, I want to see him post about what happened to his phone after trying to win a drinking game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom