Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Development Info Christmas is a time for Mirth

Shagnak

Shagadelic
Mefi said:
*sigh* We used to attract a better class of troll.
Yeah...what have we been doing wrong lately?
Perhaps we've just been spoiled in the past.

Anyway, back to the game. I'm actually getting some enjoyment out of it. It's like a mixture of old skool with new-skool MMO stuff.

Josh Ritter and Co are actually online (right now) and you can chat with them in-game, ask dumbass n00b questions, and so on. They probably get sick of dumbass questions that could be answered by reading a few instructions, but so far they seem very patient and helpful :)

Shock

Novice
AnalogKid said:
Shock said:
Log on and get an Epic Ass Kicking...free of charge, asshole.
I might, if only I could be sure that the game had an Epic Ass Kicking System. I don't want anything done to my ass unless it involves some sort of Epic System. No Free Rides!

The thing about this "feces infested cobweb posing as a review site" is that most of us have figured out that you don't have to use a separate post for every reply. The other nice thing about it is all the psuedo-vicious, normally-funny attacks serve to keep the goddam fucking "me too" fanboi kiddies away. Have you seen the TES forums lately?

The best thing about this site, though, is that dipshits like you don't last long.

I'm sure they don't. Tell me...how many people do you kick off daily just because you can't keep up with them? Save what little brainpower you have for the news section. You have smaller fish to fry when the articles roll in.

Shock

Novice
Mefi said:
Shock said:
Look who is having to dig for troll material. First, it's editing posts. What's next? Spelling? Go become a somebody, nobody.

Says the person who has racked up 700+ posts on the Dung Lords site?

*sigh* We used to attract a better class of troll.

What happened to you? You couldn't hang with me at the DL site so you decided to come here and slum it with the retards? Go back to Special Ed, "Trisomy 21".

AnalogKid

Scholar
Shock said:
Tell me...how many people do you kick off daily just because you can't keep up with them?
That would be none. This could mean:

a) I can keep up with all the dipshits in the entire world. Yeaaay me.
b) I'm not in charge of kicking anyone off.
c) NOBODY GETS KICKED OFF THIS SITE, YOU FUCKTARD!
d) All of the above.

Really Shock, your posts are pathetic. Are you trying out some new schtick from the "trolling for dummies" your mommy bought you for Kwanza? You're a carbon copy of the reason I started posting instead of lurking. It's like you're telling a joke you don't understand: all the words are there but you don't have the first fucking clue how to make them mean anything.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
This is the best thread EVAR. Shock is like a Vol that can spell.

So I d/l the Demo. I shall have to give it a try tonight or tomorrow.

Shock

Novice
Shagnak said:
Do a search on Roqua.
Now, he knows how to insult people in an extreme and amusing way. Could teach your candy ass a thing or two.

When I come back here I want to see something at least halfway amusing and original.
There's a good little trollie.
Cheers. Toodle-pip.
[*Deadwood reference for SolInvictus]

Why would I want to search for other users? Is this what you do in your spare time? When you're not secretly stalking all the users, you pimp your boyfriend's taunt service and then pop out with a "Toodle-pip"?

Just for shits and giggles (squeezes legs tightly), I looked up the person who you aspire to be one day. He didn't seem all that to me:

Roqua

Posted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 1:00 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes, it was me!!!!!! Like oh my god, I'm so embaressed. I like to poop on guys faces. And go to parties were people play in the internet, because i can't do that at home in my underwear. And I love to go to Canada because there is so much to do and so much culture. But why would I go to Canada, where there is so much to do and see, and waste time at an internet party? Because they are so awesome thats why.

Shucks, caught red handed. Guess I can't get out of this one. Will I ever be able to get my good name back again? I really hope so.

p.s. why do you not like me again? Oh yeah, you're a big pussy. Shouldn't you be mad at yourself for being a big fat pussy? Since the decisions you make, in turn, made you a queer? You think beer tastes just yucky icky poo. I don't. I didn't make you gay. You made yourself gay. Suck it up, cuntface. No one likes hateful gays.

In fact, if he put as much effort into writing a novel as he does his insults, I'm sure it would top the New Zealand Bestseller's List.

Shagnak

Shagadelic
The thing is though, he can be quite amusing sometimes. Even when he is in your face and giving shit for all it's worth.

And you're...well...not.
You lack the spark. In the end you sound like some tired caricature trying to be a codex-central uber troll. Whereas Roqua has some exuberance and his own MO.

Hell, you're so fucking lame that I'm not even trying.
At least I rewarded the likes of Roqua (etc etc) with that.

Ach. Woe is me.
The tedium of your trite insults are getting to me more than anything.

(Perhaps that's the plan! If it is it's working)

EDIT:
BTW - have you bought this game yet? And if so, what is your user name?

Shock

Novice
The "boring" tactic. It's the last ditch effort at an insult from someone who is about to give up because they simply can't keep up. Just leave already and stop announcing it.

Take your stuffed troll doll Roqua with you and for Christ sake, sew up the large hole you cut into the crotch. Nobody is interested in your perverted sexual habits.

Shagnak

Shagadelic
Shock said:
The "boring" tactic. It's the last ditch effort at an insult from someone who is about to give up because they simply can't keep up. Just leave already and stop announcing it.
Or it might be that you really are genuinely boring.
And you're currently arguing with two people who are positive about the game you started having a hissy fit about people not giving a fair go.

Really, you're a failure at being a troll at troll-central. That's pretty difficult, and also pretty pathetic.

Shagnak

Shagadelic
Anyway, back to the game:

Another cool thing about it is the ability to construct macros and have a whole heap of strategies worked out. You can assign these macros to buttons so that a whole chain of shit can be fired off on demand.

For example (from the game forums):
*fred* /cast light heal
*bob* /cast big nuke
*phil* /cast elemental buff of protection

More on this can be found here and in other threads.

Healing your fellow party members does not seem as intuitive as I would have liked, but the macro construction allows much more flexible and quicker party member healing.
Shit like this certainly appeals to the hacker in me :wink:

JRitter

Novice
There are also party and alliance versions of buffs and healing spells... which make it quite easy :)

If you play one character, and you heal, the game automatically knows to heal you.

Options, options, and options. MoM can be a bit overwhelming because it gives you so many.

-Josh Ritter
Prairie Games

crpgnut

Augur
Okay, question Josh: I was going to post this over at your site, but I never got the email to verify my account.

I'm playing a Ranger who somehow has already reached 5th level. I've only killed a few bears and maybe 15 skeletons. I've completed the bear quest and I've taken the captain 4 or 5 skeleton skulls. I also found a map from one skeleton who had a name. I got to kill him 2-3 times and he always has the map. I'm assuming I don't need 3 copies of it. I haven't found a use for the single copy I do have.

Here's the question finally. I'm trying to kill the skeleton that poisons your character at the top of the guard tower. I've died 3-4 times but I'm really close to killing the Anita(sp) skeleton. Am I being penalized heavily each time I die? I'm guessing that I dropped below 5th level on the first death and probably am no being penalized anymore because I'm below 5. Is that correct?

Shock

Novice
Shagnak said:
Shock said:
Or it might be that you really are genuinely boring.
And you're currently arguing with two people who are positive about the game you started having a hissy fit about people not giving a fair go.

Really, you're a failure at being a troll at troll-central. That's pretty difficult, and also pretty pathetic.

If anyone should know that, it would be the master of pathetic. You're the one who started shit with someone who likes the game.

It's never funny for the person the barbs are directed towards. Besides, your own posts could be more entertaining. I'm sure you'll get over the emotional trauma of someone overshadowing your messageboard existence.

JRitter

Novice
@crpgnut: There is a minor XP penalty for dying after level 5. There are bindstones around the world that you can double click to set where you respawn. There are also teleportation spells and gate potions that drop off monsters for traveling.

-Josh Ritter
Prairie Games, Inc

aboyd

Liturgist
Shock said:
Tell me...how many people do you kick off daily just because you can't keep up with them?
He doesn't know about the Dumbfuck solution. He thinks people get kicked off. That's so cute.

I almost want to take bets on when it will happen. But I don't care enough. :cool:

Mefi

Prophet
Patron
waiting for a train at Perdido Street Station
Shock said:
If anyone should know that, it would be the master of pathetic. You're the one who started shit with someone who likes the game.

You come across as that bizarre species of fanboi who hasn't quite grasped that his own view is actually a minority opinion.

It's never funny for the person the barbs are directed towards. Besides, your own posts could be more entertaining. I'm sure you'll get over the emotional trauma of someone overshadowing your messageboard existence.

I thought you'd read the archive? The comments are to amuse us. Any criticism of marketing speak is always justified. What counts is the game. Which has received a generally positive response from those who have tried it.

Shagnak isn't trolling at the moment. When he does, he's funny. As I commented when you jumped in with your silly posts, let the grownups look at the game.

Revenons a nos moutons..

I'm enjoying the SP mode. Although the macros don't quite impress me as much as Shagnak due to countless hours playing teh cleric on guild raids in EQ (Shock - that would be Bris too, ye olde Sams and then FoH after server split). Nicely implemented though for a group of characters.

Hanging on untl the weekend (might be able to get a LAN game sorted out) before pushing out a review of any kind. Been tempted to go online but 56k modem keeps reminding me that it would be a bad idea. What's it like Shagnak? Tried any alliance fights yet?

There's a lot in this game. In SP it really feels like a return to the roots of 3d dungeon crawling in its style. Keep getting dungeon master flashbacks, but in a really good way. But there's just something indefinable missing from it in SP. Maybe it's just the interface is reminding me of EQ, and I keep trying to access guildchat. :? As mods and additional content become available, as I've said before, this could really become an excellent SP game in its own right. Just need to pinpoint what is throwing me about SP. Maybe the lack of cliffracers? ;)

[/i]

roguefrog

Liturgist
I hope shock stops pissing on this thread already so we can get down to brass tacks.

I downloaded the demo and played for an hour or so. I've been having some difficulties. Mainly with the interface and equipment functionally. I created a Warrior and proceeded to killing stuff. Killed some skeletons and found some longswords and iron helms. At first I could not equip the iron helms...but after I advanced some levels I was able to. Same thing happened with a shield I found. Very odd, there was no indicatior as to why this was. Little help descriptions, a manual or comprehensive FAQ could go a long why to helping me understanding the mechanics of this game. I'm not new to MMOs, but I'm not a a crazy MMO goon either. (the only one I played for a long period of time is Ultima Online)

Also I dropped some items onto the quick menu macro bar thing and haven't figured out how to remove them. I also have some meat I've been trying to eat. :(

As far as character advancement, it would be nice if there was a little blurb about what each stat is good for. I know some are self explanatory, but I can't remember the last game I played that has Dexterity, Agility, and Reflexes. Its sort of hard to figure out the differences of these and how they effect my characters abilities.

If I'm not looking hard enough its probably because I haven't played the game enough. :wink:

P.S. How do you get Online with the demo? I just get a name/password field...

Jason

chasing a bee
I agree there needs to be pop-ups for the stats. I was making a thief character and wasn't sure which stats to bump up (reflexes, agility, dexterity, mind?). In-game information isn't all that helpful after you've already created the characters. Is there a downloadable pdf manual by any chance?

Shock

Novice
roguefrog said:
I hope shock stops pissing on this thread already so we can get down to brass tacks.

I'm not the pisser. I'm the wind that blows it back in their face. Please continue on with the game discussion and watch your shoes.

GhanBuriGhan

Erudite
A manual is badly needed. This one has a learning curve only just this side of Battlecruiser 3000AD...

Still, I was quite impressed from my first 15 minutes, just by the scale and size of it all, and the detail in the user interface. Even more after reading the post-mortem on their forum. Two guys, and a couple contracted artists, 11 Months. That is incredibly efficient, whatever else you may say about the game. I might end up buying it just to express my admiration for such a feat.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom