Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Development Info Christmas is a time for Mirth

JRitter

Novice
You start with a Bag of Kinsfoil as a ranger. Right click it and the game lets you know to bring it your trainer, Rasil Ithian. He gives you a nice bow and some arrows.

I'm not sure why you couldn't equip the bow you bought. Do you mean you couldn't figure out how to use it?

1. When the bow is in your cursor your macro buttons glow green. Click on the macro button you want to assign the bow to

2. Place the bow in the glowing green inventory slot (also make sure you have some arrows)

3. With an enemy targeted, click or press the hotkey you assigned to the macro.

The game saves the world at minute intervals and when you exit the game. For good or ill, we've removed the save, try something, reload game mechanic. I feel it adds to the game experience, others may not agree. Please note that you are never waiting to save and the game doesn't use "save points".

-Josh Ritter
Prairie Games, Inc

Calis

Pensionado
obediah said:
I bought it. I should have a few minutes to actually play it starting next week. I give my presentation for my masters degree on Friday, and vacation doesn't roll over at work so I have a few weeks off coming up. :)
Just to get this all off-topic and crap...
Congrats in advance! Physics, right? What's the thesis about?

crpgnut

Augur
Oops, sorry Josh. I didn't realize that you needed arrows!

I don't recall getting anything from the Ranger trainer. He gave me a quest to kill something and I tried to train and he said he doesn't trust me yet. I'll check my inventory and see what's up with the bow and arrows. Every time I see the phrase macro, it kills my immersion. I'm not at programmer, I'm a Ranger :?

I really believe that the game probably just isn't meant for me. I hate killing 6 bears, walk away for 2 minutes and 6 more are back. That kills a game for me faster than anything. That's why games that try to be single and multiplayer generally fail. I hate things that are in my single player game that were made for multiplayer. What stops my character from just standing at one spawn point until he maxes out his skills? I haven't played long enough to find answers to these questions though. I want to give the game a fair shake before deletion. Is there a respawn setting? If I could set the respawn level to like 5/100 that may make the game seem less like the tedious Everquest.

JRitter

Novice
NWN, Diablo, Baldur's Gate all have "macros" or hotkeys. Ours do happen to be programmable, though you don't have the program them, you can just drag and drop.

Right click on any item to get more information about it. Rasil Ithian is the Ranger trainer, I believe you were talking to Captain Pedrail.

What stops my character from just standing at one spawn point until he maxes out his skills?
- You don't get experience for stuff that is too low level for your character. Also, the only way to raise your Presence stat is to do quests. There are 2 very involved epic quests for each realm in the game. There are also quests that involve large scale battles, etc. Also, you can unlock monster templates and prey on NPC... There are lots of people who like to play the game in single player... You can even chat in single player if you want to :)

The game isn't for everyone. We're also very keen on hearing how we can improve it.

-Josh Ritter
Prairie Games, Inc

Mefi

Prophet
Patron
waiting for a train at Perdido Street Station
JRitter said:
Ah, my mistake. I took linking to a woman crapping on her own face with the words "MoM Characters" to be the disservice. Thanks for clearing that up.

-Josh Ritter
Prairie Games, Inc

Meh - now you've gone and spoilt his surprise. I've been wanting to tubgirl him since he started posting on the Dreamcatcher forums.. Never click links in posts addressed to trolls, no matter how tempting...

I've been rather impressed with the game since I was made aware of it when you were offering alpha test places. My posts on the game have been very positive because I feel that you've got a game with a lot of potential and my gf and I have bought a copy each.

It's a wonderful piece for a work for a two person team. It's a lot more enjoyable than Dungeon Lords (which was the culmination of 25 years of work in the industry, didn't ya know) - that's not to damn you with faint praise btw, just a comparison. The world does seem a little empty at times in SP. But then you've given the player the ability to change that either for themselves. And it's a big world (14 zones at the moment?) so it will take time to start to feel 'busy' as people start playing with what is possible filling up existing zones while adding new ones.

But I don't think this game is going to appeal to people who want to play it purely for SP right now. The absence of dialogue skills makes quest types rather limited. There can't really be a real ending in a game which can be played as an MMORPG too. Which does lead onto the fedex syndrome combined with a little "I'm just wandering round aimlessly looking for something to kill".

The game works best in MP. As others have commented, its the social aspect and also the fun the game offers of teaming up to take down that level 30ish troll chieftain with all his bodyguards. This is an MMORPG which can be played offline if you choose. And one of its main selling points is that you are playing a team of adventurers (whether a cleric/paladin combo or a full rounded party of 6. When a couple of people get together with their parties the game comes fully alive. Whether that is enough of a hook for people who aren't willing to come in from the beginning or don't see why a party of 6 can be so much fun to play in an MMORPG, is another matter.

bryce777

Erudite
It just shocks me people still fall for that stuff. After one time, you would think people would check. I one time tried to convince people goatse was photoshopped. They spent hours examining it and pointing out why it wasn't. Pretty funny....

crpgnut

Augur
I agree with you Mefi. The game isn't really made for SP players at all. It's an MP game that happens to be playable in SP. I can't stomach MP games because there's no ending and no sense of accomplishment. I don't game to socialize. I have real life friends, relatives, co-workers for that. Nothing wrong with those who do use it for a social outlet.

To Josh: There's nothing wrong with what your game is, it's just not alluring to SP only type players. I don't think you can make the game alluring to us. I want a game where the NPC's/gameworld are aware of my character or party specifically. There has to be a sense of progression that isn't stat or level related. In most games you are pushing towards the finish line. Not sure what you can replace that with.

JRitter

Novice
There are 2 main quests and lots of side quests to complete. There are monsters to unlock, equipment to loot, dungeons to explore, etc... Otherwise, yes, it's just a huge world to explore and become powerful in...

http://www.prairiegames.com/MoM_Promo1.wmv

It certainly won't appeal to everyone. Though, many of the people playing and enjoying MoM are doing so in single player.

-Josh Ritter
Prairie Games, Inc

HardCode

Erudite
JRitter said:
Whether you think it's great or sucks, Minions of Mirth is at the very least a different offering in the stagnant pond of CRPG. In terms of PC (and not console) titles, it's one of the very few role-playing games released this year. I would expect that a forum dedicated to discussing RPG titles would have a more worthwhile discussion of our game than Something Awful. Though, I would be wrong.

As a company, we have worked very hard to make this game. We have also worked very closely with our community getting feedback to improve it. Why do we list the auto-patcher as a major feature? Check out the Patch List to see how fast we can push out new and improved features. I'm personally very excited about the technology. Though, I 'm a bit tired of buying a turd in a box, waiting 4 months for patch 1.1, and then waiting for patch 1.2 that never came out. But, hey, that's just me.

-Josh Ritter
Prairie Games, Inc

Hey Josh. Just some feedback here ...

Reading the release in the original post in this thread, it sounded like just another empty game getting PR hype with big words like Pete Hine's favortie - 'EPIC'. It seemed that the writing was trying to make up for something else the game lacks ... like content.

However, reading your replies, and some replies by those who play the game (honest, no BS info about the game), I think I will try the demo and buy it if I like it at least 50%.

I understand you are a very small shop, but that doesn't mean you need to PR like the "big boys", as that style is annoying if anything.

If it weren't for this thread, I never would have considered looking at the game based just on that release.

Just a little FYI from John Q. Public.

Dreagon

Scholar
So far, I'm finding the demo to be rather enjoyable.

The graphics are not top quality by todays standards, not by a long shot. On the other hand they are as good or better than many of the truly good RPGs of the past so they are perfectly fine unless you really demand cutting edge graphics.

Now the learning curve is steeper than I'm used to, but I think thats due to the combination of there being no instruction manual, and that I've been dumbed down a bit by modern RPG's :oops:

Anyways, the demo seems to have a lot of playing time packed in it. I'm not sure what game this reminds me of exactly, perhaps a very old Might and Magic with better graphics.

JRitter

Novice
@Hardcode: Thanks, though I am not sure what the alternative is... "Please try our game, it's now been released." I don't think the features are at all overstated, in fact most are quite matter of fact. I suppose I could have said "Large Scale Battle System" instead of "Epic". Press Releases have a standard form which many new sites and publications require.

@Dreagon: I am pleased that you are enjoying the game. Click on the '?' symbol on your tome. There is online help for keys, commands, and a FAQ. One quick hint, double clcik loot to place it directly in your inventory. You can also double click to initiate combat and NPC quest/vendor interactions.

-Josh Ritter
Prairie Games

Dreagon

Scholar
JRitter said:
@

@Dreagon: I am pleased that you are enjoying the game. Click on the '?' symbol on your tome. There is online help for keys, commands, and a FAQ. One quick hint, double clcik loot to place it directly in your inventory. You can also double click to initiate combat and NPC quest/vendor interactions.

-Josh Ritter
Prairie Games

Oh, one further piece of praise, albiet some may find it faint. Speaking as a mild arachnophobic, you guys did a good enough job on the spiders to creep me out. Creepiest spiders since Thief

Shock

Novice
baby arm said:
Shagnak, I think that little boy was coming on to you. Looks like you'll have a date for the Winter Formal afterall.

He did pay me, so I won't judge him on last minute desperation.

Shock

Novice
Mefi said:
JRitter said:
Whether you think it's great or sucks, Minions of Mirth is at the very least a different offering in the stagnant pond of CRPG. In terms of PC (and not console) titles, it's one of the very few role-playing games released this year. I would expect that a forum dedicated to discussing RPG titles would have a more worthwhile discussion of our game than Something Awful. Though, I would be wrong.

Yup. In the news section, we bitch and taunt the trolls as well as making snide remarks about marketing speak ;)

Give us time to actually play through a bit more and you'll see the debate getting a little more reasoned as people dissect the game and post reviews. I've only got a couple of hours play of the release version done so far - and it would be very unfair to do a disservice to your work with a review after so short a time :)

I like to taunt trolls too. I think the problem is that 3/4 of you don't see yourselves as trolls and denial is the only thing keeping you from beginning the 12 steps of recovery.

Like I said, it was Josh's mistake to even advertise on this feces infested cobweb posing as a review site.

Shock

Novice
Calis said:
obediah said:
I bought it. I should have a few minutes to actually play it starting next week. I give my presentation for my masters degree on Friday, and vacation doesn't roll over at work so I have a few weeks off coming up. :)
Just to get this all off-topic and crap...
Congrats in advance! Physics, right? What's the thesis about?

It's a sociology report about how emotionally disturbed kids and adults use RPG review sites as an outlet for their rage as opposed to shooting someone in a moving vehicle. It's really fascinating to see how so many emotionally retarded human beings project their own shortcomings on others thus masking that they even have a serious social problem. This leads to the conclusion as to why most of you don't like multiplayer games. In that respect, I can understand why.

Shock

Novice
Mefi said:
JRitter said:
Ah, my mistake. I took linking to a woman crapping on her own face with the words "MoM Characters" to be the disservice. Thanks for clearing that up.

-Josh Ritter
Prairie Games, Inc

Meh - now you've gone and spoilt his surprise. I've been wanting to tubgirl him since he started posting on the Dreamcatcher forums.. Never click links in posts addressed to trolls, no matter how tempting...

You expect nobody but one person to click on your links like they have ESP? You really are stupid aren't you? In fact, you hit Josh and missed me and the only satisfaction you get is not being able to see me smirk and give you my middle finger.

Shagnak

Shagadelic
Kinda ruins the effect when you keep going back and editing earlier posts.

You're like a little kid who has discovered the lack of editorial control in a wiki and keeps going back again and again, giggling to herself "oh, I just thought of another good one!", adding to the supposedly ingenious taunts over and over, squeezing thighs together to stop the piss dribbling out with each giggle*.

Pretty sad.

Do a search on Roqua.
Now, he knows how to insult people in an extreme and amusing way. Could teach your candy ass a thing or two.

When I come back here I want to see something at least halfway amusing and original.
There's a good little trollie.
Cheers. Toodle-pip.

[*Deadwood reference for SolInvictus]

HanoverF

Arcane
Patron
MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
And not much of an surprise attack since Shock has tubgirl wallpaper

Anyway...
JRitter said:
It is probably loading textures. What are your system specs?

-Josh Ritter
Prairie Games, Inc

Doubtful, I can play Quake 3 and HL2 on this system (not high detail, but this game really shouldn't need that level processing). Does it load many textures in the character creation screen, cause even there (even when not changing race), it locks up every 40 seconds- few minutes.

crpgnut

Augur
I haven't given up on it either Josh. I've been unimpressed so far because most quests are kill creature A and bring back B to NPC. I'm going to invest another evening or two in the game and see if it can grab an SP only player's attention. It sounds huge, which is a good thing.

Shagnak

Shagadelic
Well, one of the things I like about the game is something pretty superficial.

If you go into first-person mode then it is just like those "blobs with arms and legs" CRPGs that I have been lamenting the absence of! A MMO version of Wizardry sits right with me :wink:

Just had a brief (15 min) go at it. Has potential. It's polished up nicely since I last looked at it.
Might have to have a look at some instructions to get the best out of my characters, etc.

Fresh

Erudite
I know absolutely nothing about this game but I do know that I dont get the choice of name. Minions of Mirth? I go look "mirth" up in the dictionary (being a swedish SOB) and find out it means to be "happy"? Minions of happiness? KKEEEWLLLL!!111!

AnalogKid

Scholar
Shock said:
Log on and get an Epic Ass Kicking...free of charge, asshole.
I might, if only I could be sure that the game had an Epic Ass Kicking System. I don't want anything done to my ass unless it involves some sort of Epic System. No Free Rides!

The thing about this "feces infested cobweb posing as a review site" is that most of us have figured out that you don't have to use a separate post for every reply. The other nice thing about it is all the psuedo-vicious, normally-funny attacks serve to keep the goddam fucking "me too" fanboi kiddies away. Have you seen the TES forums lately?

The best thing about this site, though, is that dipshits like you don't last long.

Shock

Novice
Shagnak said:
Kinda ruins the effect when you keep going back and editing earlier posts.

You're like a little kid who has discovered the lack of editorial control in a wiki and keeps going back again and again, giggling to herself "oh, I just thought of another good one!", adding to the supposedly ingenious taunts over and over, squeezing thighs together to stop the piss dribbling out with each giggle*.

Pretty sad.

Do a search on Roqua.
Now, he knows how to insult people in an extreme and amusing way. Could teach your candy ass a thing or two.

When I come back here I want to see something at least halfway amusing and original.
There's a good little trollie.
Cheers. Toodle-pip.

[*Deadwood reference for SolInvictus]

Look who is having to dig for troll material. First, it's editing posts. What's next? Spelling? Go become a somebody, nobody.

Mefi

Prophet
Patron
waiting for a train at Perdido Street Station
Shock said:
Look who is having to dig for troll material. First, it's editing posts. What's next? Spelling? Go become a somebody, nobody.

Says the person who has racked up 700+ posts on the Dung Lords site?

*sigh* We used to attract a better class of troll.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom