Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Development Info Christmas is a time for Mirth

Shagnak

Shagadelic
Shock said:
It looks like there is a Demo server and a Full Game server. You get on the Full server when you pay for the game. As I understand it, the full server is autoupdated with content on a near daily basis.

Okay, thanks.
It would be cool of owners of the full game could join the demo servers though...

I'm unlikely to be buying it this side of xmas (if I end up liking it), you see, but meeting up with the likes of obediah and others could be a bit of fun.

BTW Shock, your evangelism, which I now see has spilled over into another unrelated thread, will have the complete opposite effect to that which you desire.

EDIT: as per Mefi's observations

GhanBuriGhan

Erudite
Shock said:
GhanBuriGhan said:
Hmmm, good vibes in this thread, but the empty rooms in the video reminded me unpelasantly of Dungeon Lords. Is someone ready with a little review?

Dude, anything is better than Dung Lords. You've heard they are now coming out with a Collector's Edition of that game, right? That game was crap and had a design team of about 36+ people.

Mirth has a design team of 3 people plus public support and it's still better than the drek they call Dungeon Lords. What more do you want from independent designers and no monthly fee? Gold coins to shoot out your CDROM? Give the independent people a break.

I am giving them a break, that's why I am asking for reviews. But I dislike empty worlds, and this one seemed empty in the video. I agree that it's an impressive achievement, but that does not necessarliy mean that I will enjoy playing it...

JRitter

Novice

Shock

Novice
Mefi said:
Shock said:
Josh's only mistake was advertising at this asshole-filled site. All you guys do is crack on every game that comes out. Maybe you should stop hanging out on messageboards all day and go get a job so you can afford some self esteem. Dicks. :twisted:

I see you're not into the whole PR/marketing thing.

But of course not, that would involve reading. Which is obviously not your strong point.

Let the grown-ups decide whether they like the game or not. Some of us will not like the style of the game and say "no" purely because of that. Some of us will just not like the game because they don't like the interface/graphics/dialogue etc etc. And some of us will purchase the game because we feel that Josh and Lara have done a sterling job and deserve as much credit as we can heap upon them.

Now fuck off back to whichever hole you crawled out from.

This game has been hyped here for over a year or two. Go check the archives. I've never seen so many people slober over it and then turn around and dump on it when it's finally released.

Fuck off yourself, you ADHD faggot.

Shock

Novice
Shagnak said:
BTW Shock, your evangelism, which I now see has spilled over into another unrelated thread, will have the complete opposite effect to that which you desire.

It has the exact effect which I desire. Trust me.

Shagnak

Shagadelic
Shock said:
Shagnak said:

If that is to turn curious people off looking at the game because you are being a cunt, then congrats on your clever sabotage attempts.
I'm not certain I want to meet shitheads like you online.

Shagnak

Shagadelic
Shock said:
Mefi said:

This game has been hyped here for over a year or two. Go check the archives. I've never seen so many people slober over it and then turn around and dump on it when it's finally released.

Not that much "dumping" as far as I can see, in fact, just as much interest.

Interesting that you are trying to be a champion of the game and then you shit on one of the people who is very much "for" the game. I can only assume you are a troll who is trying some reverse psychology to ruin the success of Josh and co.

What'd they do?
Kick you out of the beta for being an annoying little prick?

Shock

Novice
Shagnak said:
Shock said:
Shagnak said:

If that is to turn curious people off looking at the game because you are being a cunt, then congrats on your clever sabotage attempts.
I'm not certain I want to meet shitheads like you online.

Really? I wouldn't want to meet 95% of the asses who frequent this site online. That includes you, troll face.

Also, who said anything about me advertising for this game? Is that the only conclusion you can come up with in your little stegosaurus-like grey matter? The popularity of this board would increase 50% if asshole armchair reviewers like yourself would leave this site and get a job.

Shagnak

Shagadelic
Oh, so you don't want us to play this game now?
Make up your mind! Who has ADHD now?

Keep going, it's a quiet night and I'm bored enough to keep feeding the trolls for a while yet...

Shock

Novice
Shagnak said:
Oh, so you don't want us to play this game now?
Make up your mind! Who has ADHD now?

Keep going, it's a quiet night and I'm bored enough to keep feeding the trolls for a while yet...

Feed yourself, loser boy. Keep going with your low class mouth.

Zomg

Arbiter
I find the title of the game confusing. I went into the gameplay video expecting some kind of Marx Brothers thing. Anyway, doesn't really look like my type of game, but the production values are very impressive.

LlamaGod

Cipher
If you cant stand the heat, get out of the fucking kitchen you pussy.

Data4

Arcane
I feel bad for Josh that this thread got highjacked, but it just got entertaining as hell. Is there a "How to be a troll" manual floating around? This guy's playing it by the book evidently. :D

-D4

Mefi

Prophet
Patron
waiting for a train at Perdido Street Station
Shock said:

"So many"? Your numeracy isn't too hot either, is it? Or am I being unfair as you count everyone twice because you're so used to things like your dad being your uncle too?

Still, here's a picture of my MoM characters especially for you.

JRitter

Novice
Whether you think it's great or sucks, Minions of Mirth is at the very least a different offering in the stagnant pond of CRPG. In terms of PC (and not console) titles, it's one of the very few role-playing games released this year. I would expect that a forum dedicated to discussing RPG titles would have a more worthwhile discussion of our game than Something Awful. Though, I would be wrong.

As a company, we have worked very hard to make this game. We have also worked very closely with our community getting feedback to improve it. Why do we list the auto-patcher as a major feature? Check out the Patch List to see how fast we can push out new and improved features. I'm personally very excited about the technology. Though, I 'm a bit tired of buying a turd in a box, waiting 4 months for patch 1.1, and then waiting for patch 1.2 that never came out. But, hey, that's just me.

-Josh Ritter
Prairie Games, Inc

GhanBuriGhan

Erudite
JRitter said:
There is a free demo available which can be played in single and multiplayer.

http://www.prairiegames.com/MoMDemoInstaller.exe

We're constantly taking feedback and tweaking the game. Have a quick look at our patch notes to get the idea of how fast and furious the development is:

Minions of Mirth Patch Notes and Game Information

You can also get an idea of how much stuff is in the world on that site.

Vibes,
-Josh Ritter
Prairie Games

Is it intentional that the last site peppers me with password requests, but still lets me look at the content if I cancel them?

I'll check it out, thanks. Its for OSX too, huh? Hey, I could play this at work ;)

JRitter

Novice
Are you using the Safari web browser? It's a known iissue with Safari.

-Josh Ritter
Prairie Games, Inc

Mefi

Prophet
Patron
waiting for a train at Perdido Street Station
JRitter said:
Whether you think it's great or sucks, Minions of Mirth is at the very least a different offering in the stagnant pond of CRPG. In terms of PC (and not console) titles, it's one of the very few role-playing games released this year. I would expect that a forum dedicated to discussing RPG titles would have a more worthwhile discussion of our game than Something Awful. Though, I would be wrong.

Yup. In the news section, we bitch and taunt the trolls as well as making snide remarks about marketing speak ;)

Give us time to actually play through a bit more and you'll see the debate getting a little more reasoned as people dissect the game and post reviews. I've only got a couple of hours play of the release version done so far - and it would be very unfair to do a disservice to your work with a review after so short a time :)

JRitter

Novice
Ah, my mistake. I took linking to a woman crapping on her own face with the words "MoM Characters" to be the disservice. Thanks for clearing that up.

-Josh Ritter
Prairie Games, Inc

crpgnut

Augur
Okay, downloaded the demo last night and the game looks weird to me. I've never played a multiplayer game though so maybe that's why. There are individual monsters just standing around off the path. Stay on the path and you don't have to fight anything. As far as I could tell, the first quest or two consist of walk over to area A and kill a few skeletons, bring back the skulls. OR walk over to area B and kill a few bears. That looked really boring so I headed into town. Quest C was collect another body part from animal X, so was quest D! I did get a quest to rescue a girl from the sewers along with 3 more quests to obtain body parts from animals. Anybody seeing a theme here?

If the combat was engaging, this might be fun for a few hours. As it was, my character can hit even when he's not facing the creature struck. If you're within striking range and you press the attack key, a to-hit roll is made. Whether your weapon actually makes contact ever seemed to make no difference.

In the demo, if an NPC is moving there is no need to talk to it. Quest giving npcs are color-coded and do not move; same with trainers and shopkeepers.

I'm going to play a little more tonight just to see if there's a game in here anywhere. So far it looks like a random monster/quest generator with a paper-thin storyline.

Maybe I'm playing a real old version of the demo before they added meaningful quests and npcs that you can relate to? Really bad idea to have the very first quests of the game be fed ex.

crpgnut

Augur
Oops, forgot to add this little piece of info. I rolled up a Ranger so that I could use bows. Did I start with a bow?
Nope. Off I ran into town to buy a bow. I can't equip it though. Why? Don't know. When I try to equip it nothing happens. It'd be nice if it said something like, "You need a bow skill of 5 or Ranger skill of 3 to equip this." Instead I paid for an item I can't use yet. Another issue for me is that you can't save the game at all as far as I can tell. I would have saved before buying the bow and then reloaded if I couldn't use it. Who heard of a single player game that you can't save whenever you want? You either get killed or camp at the end of your session, that's the only way I found to save.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom