Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

People News Chris Avellone tells the Codex about his current work on Pillars of Eternity

Athelas

Arcane
He's clearly incapable of playing it, the only viable solution is for a 20-something female assistant to play it for him and ask him what dialogue options he wants to pick while feeding him grapes.

Diablo169

Arcane
He's clearly incapable of playing it, the only viable solution is for a 20-something female assistant to play it for him and ask him what dialogue options he wants to pick while feeding him grapes.

he has Tim Cain who developed the fucking game working in the same building as him. I can think of an easier way to build a successful character and get a play through going smoothly.

Western

Arcane
Codex 2012 Codex 2014 Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Does the Australian branch of MENSA really need more booze though?

Well I did see a bottle of something special in the bet thread.

ijINrhyNTEWSJ.png

Korron

Cipher
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong
At least he has a promising career as codex doodlemeister when they completely phase him out of game development.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
To follow up on the Grieving Mother's mental dungeon idea, I asked Chris about possible Wasteland inspiration for that, and this is his reply:

MCA said:
Interesting thought! Not at all, actually. I was thinking about how a dialogue could be explored like a dungeon and reversing a Cipher’s powers so it’s actually the player who has telepathy - the scripted interactions in Eternity seemed like a perfect fit.

Sounds like it was pretty firmly rooted in the game's lore, after all. I like that kind of role reversal.

I've updated the OP with this.

P.S. I don't think being a sort of narrative overseer is that minor of a role, myself. If anything, Chris is understating the importance of his role, as he tends to do.

POOPERSCOOPER

Prophet
So... Sawyer hates Avellone and thinks he's a shitty developer... Interesting.

I think there has been a rumor around about there be some slight drama ever since JE Sawyer took lead on Van Buren (or maybe it was New Vegas?) when Furgus promised MCA the lead years before. This is from years ago though and I don't think many people gave it merit at the time.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
It's funny that the most fun class to use was MCA's idea.

I wonder when we'll find out about their other projects, besides the MMO games. I think that if Pillars of Eternity does will in reviews and user impressions, they could ride the wave with their second Kickstarter campaign.

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
As much as I like Avellone and feel indiferente for Sawyer, this makes Sense. Sawyer is the head honcho here and the egos gonna clash somewhere. Much better for Avellone and Cain to have their own projects and avoid a "too many cooks" scenario.
The presure is on for Obsidian to deliver andfor better or forworse some people are distancing themselves from the game

Perkel

Arcane
I bet they are watching this thread sipping their whiskey occasionally doing high five and laughing how they troll us.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
chris avaltone please save rpgs

lols josh wouldnt fight chris if he knew what was good for him
josh got cycling legs and could probably deliver a strong low kick but chris would just tackle him and crush him under his weight

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
that's how you look when you're straight edge, I guess

Wow. I must admit, it does sound like the kind of thing that could be a good massive budget pull in a project where it isn't the central vision, and I'm not surprised sawyer cut it (he did make his name at obsidian as a tight manager from saving their asses by going all-out ruthless to salvage something sellable from nwn2, after the original lead shafted them by jumping ship to bioware and leaving behind something so messy and far from completion with 3/4 of the budget gone that they were in danger of not even having a product to ship).

But it shows the guy still has creativity to contribute to the genre, and it makes me disappointed that there isn't any kick-starter projects with MCA as fulltime lead. His commercial sensibilities often seem a poor fit for his design style, resulting in flawed gems that appease nobody, and I don't think a large money-project will get the best of him (if anything, their respective records suggest that Sawyer's ability to meticulously crank out a safe but enjoyable and polished game would be a better fit for that stuff).

It's also a good insight to why Avellone's work is often disappointing when he's contributing writing to a project where he isn't the main guy. He seems to be someone who will go away to work independently and come back with a fully formed concept, but isn't great at being a small part of a writing team. It's the New Reno problem - where he goes off and creates an area or character that internally is well thought out and has its own feel and complexity, but seems to be warped in from a different game like a self-contained mod. I don't get particularly excited when i hear that MCA is contributing a couple of areas or characters. He's far better when he's writing for a project where it's his vision from the start, and where the the funding or budget arrangements encourage him to get into a mindset where he's less tempered by his commercial leanings.

sser

Arcane
Developer
I recall seeing a trailer that was mainly about Sawyer/Avellone/Cain names and what they did in the past, to show that the game is made by the best guy.
One of them being barely involved doesn't fit well with that trailer, IMO.

You think a developer would do that? Just go on the internet and lie in their trailer?

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
But it shows the guy still has creativity to contribute to the genre, and it makes me disappointed that there isn't any kick-starter projects with MCA as fulltime lead.
Maybe it's the next one? In addition to Pillars of Eternity, they're working on another Kickstarter, and an AAA game right? If so I wouldn't be surprised if Avellone is the creative lead on the Kickstarter.

By the way, something that's irritating me: The general consensus here is that Avellone's characters were trimmed down because of budget issues and/or focusing on priorities as Sawyer saw them. This, however:

Sitting down to write two characters for Eternity, Avellone felt as if the chains were off.

“I’m not writing for a publisher right now,” he thought. “So I can write about subjects we’re normally not allowed to. What’s interesting about the world of Eternity that I think these two companions could have something to say about?”

In the end, Avellone went too far even for his colleagues at Obsidian - those characters won’t appear in the game as he originally intended.
implies that it was because they were "too un-PC," or "thematically too complex," or something along those lines. Is this another example of a journalist talking out of his ass? Because it wouldn't be the first time.

Duraframe300

Arcane
IIRC MCA IS the creative lead on the new KS project (and it is a new IP).

I dunno

He's been working a while on it. Which implies AAA. On the other hand, they just might want to start their second campaign with way more info.

Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Guys, I haven't been following Obsidian closely, and was just wandering, has anyone heard anything about roughly when they're planning to pitch their next kickstarter? First, second, third or fourth quarter of the year?

roshan

Arcane
Just think it's worth reminding that the game was sold using both MCA and Tim Cain in its pitch. PoE may end up the best thing since MotB but I'm gonna hold that against Obsidian when it comes to future pitches.

Nothing about this game has turned out "as advertised".

Perkel

Arcane
They will probably want to release first Pillars of Eternity. Reap good scores and good public opinion and after month or two bank on that starting new kickstarter.

Though i would prefer if they would drop kickstarter and use their own system like SC dudes did. 15-20% cut is a big thing for game already on shoestring budget and it allows them to get money in easy fassion after crowdfunding ends. RPGs are awesome for that as they can be easily expanded and bigger things could end up in expansion.

I would love to see product of full 3 years of developement without cutting ton of stuff. We would probably get something BG2 size.
This would be especially important after PoE as they would have engine already in place that would only need tweeks for new game.

Also if they would drop kc just like that instead of teasing it and increasing hype through teaser weeks before kc they would be idiots. Roguey needs something to beat his horse.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Guys, I haven't been following Obsidian closely, and was just wandering, has anyone heard anything about roughly when they're planning to pitch their next kickstarter? First, second, third or fourth quarter of the year?
I bet my left nut that they'll launch it in the first half of 2015. April or May.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom