Tacticular Cancer: We'll have your balls

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Chris Avellone talks to the Russians

Discussion in 'RPG Codex News & Content Comments' started by Infinitron, Feb 7, 2014.

1. Infinitron RPG Codex Staff Patron

Infinitron
    Codex 2012 Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
    Tags: Chris Avellone; Obsidian Entertainment

Last night, I finally got around to listening to the latest insanely long interview with Chris Avellone. It's an hour and a half Q&A session with the "gamers and developers of Saint-Petersburg, Russia". Chris goes through a lot of questions in this one:

In the great Russian interviewing tradition, several of the questions are a bit on the blunt and/or parochial side. You'll be pleased to learn, for instance, that MCA does not consider himself to be a burnt-out has-been. He's also never played any game developed in Russia, although he and many other people at Obsidian are big fans of the Metro series, if that counts.

There is some interesting stuff in there, too. For example, I was interested to learn about the influence of The Postman (both the novel and, yes, the film) on the first iteration of Van Buren. There's also a good question about fan service, which is somewhat derailed by the fact that Chris Avellone apparently does not know what the term "fan service" means(!).
    ^ Top  
  2. Monty Arcane

Monty
    :lol:

That's why I enjoyed those VD vs the Russians interviews, 'bluntness' flowing in both directions.
    The Brazilian Slaughter and oscar Brofist this.
    ^ Top  
  3. Curious_Tongue Arcane Patron

Curious_Tongue
    Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Serpent in the Staglands
    Looks for the good in things and takes inspiration from them, no matter what the popular opinion is.

:salute:
    ^ Top  
  4. Xeon Learned

Xeon
    He didn't include PoE among his optimistic best new games at 12:XX.

Edit:
    Also Sea should probably tweet him.

Edit2:
    It will be amazing if MCA could design a world. He said he enjoyed making FO2 because there weren't much rules that restrict him or something so man I really hope if they do another Kickstarter similar plan to InXile's W2 and Torment, He could make another new IP similar to FO. Not post apologetic specifically but the freedom to do whatever.

Edit3:
    I thought if a game is too violent in a country like Australia it will simply be banned until changed and not just affect the sales or something.
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2014
    ^ Top  
  5. Monty Arcane

Monty
    Is 'post apologetic' referring to after Wasteland 2 comes out? :cool:
    ^ Top  
  6. Cowboy Moment Arcane

Cowboy Moment
    Fuck you Monty, I was just about to make that joke.
    Monty Brofists this.
    ^ Top  
  7. Chaotic_Heretic Liturgist

Chaotic_Heretic
    i hope the cocksucking faggot delives on tton
    ^ Top  
  8. Jedi Exile Learned

Jedi Exile
    Project: Eternity
    There was a question about 'the new Torment game', but he didn't said anything specific.
    ^ Top  
  9. Infinitron RPG Codex Staff Patron

Infinitron
    Codex 2012 Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
    He did say all the companions are written, which I don't recall if we knew yet.
    ^ Top  
  10. Xeon Learned

Xeon
    Wow, It took me a while to notice, It looked really similar to apocalyptic in spell checker so I didn't pay much attention.

- Pretty good video, Thanks Infinitron. I don't get why they switched from MCA reading questions and answering them to them asking him directly.
    - I wonder if Daughters of Hachette[?] not included in New Vegas because of time and resource restraints, Kinda sucks if that's the reason.
    - He'll probably can make a pretty good twisted survival horror game.
    - I kinda like how he doesn't know what fan service is referred to, Like I hope he is the kind that rewards the fans with a good content instead of a nipple slip or something so that was pretty good.
    ^ Top  
  11. Infinitron RPG Codex Staff Patron

Infinitron
    He ran out of written questions.

And I believe it's Daughters of Hecate.
    ^ Top  
  12. Roguey Magister

Roguey
    I'm glad and unsurprised Chris has never played Russian trash like Silent Storm, King's Bounty: Subtitles, HoMM5, or The Void.

I'm pretty sure he's played Tetris though since that's an "everyone's played it" thing.
    ^ Top  
  13. Mikayel Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Mikayel
    >;(
    ^ Top  
  14. Name Learned

Name
    So what can change the nature of a man in-game? I don't want to play an outdated old people's game which I never played before and heard a lot of good things about it just for his personal opinion but I'm so curious cause MCA is a star gotta follow his example

PS. Did he recommend more shitty books comics shows? Must follow him
    ^ Top  
  15. OldSkoolKamikaze Arcane Patron

OldSkoolKamikaze
    Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
    But Lesifoere loves The Void!
    ^ Top  
  16. felipepepe Prestigious Gentleman Codex's Heretic Patron

felipepepe
    Not a single question about the Arcanum LP? Been 6 months now that he abandoned it, after only playing like 3 hs (mostly spent dying to wolves)... he didn't even reach Tarant.
    ^ Top  
  17. Mikayel Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Mikayel
    It's probably for the best he abandoned it; people were beginning to turn atheist.
    Commissar Draco Brofists this.
    ^ Top  
  18. DarkUnderlord Bringing that old Raptor magic.

DarkUnderlord
    Look into the Codex and the Codex looks into you
    :mca:
    ^ Top  
  19. Excidium P. banal

Self-Ejected
    This is how you get 18913 posts
    taxalot Brofists this.
    ^ Top  
  20. DarkUnderlord Bringing that old Raptor magic.

DarkUnderlord
    Look into the Codex and the Codex looks into you
    ^ That's how you get 11,178.

This is how you get 18,914. :smug:
    Jaesun, Broseph, thesheeep and 2 others Brofist this.
    ^ Top  
  21. Clockwork Knight Arcane

Clockwork Knight
    DarkUnderlord, please give my posts to Excidium so he may surpass you and make his comment look very silly
    root Brofists this.
    ^ Top  
  22. flabbyjack Erudite

flabbyjack
    Russians can talk?
    Oh, he's talking to them. Not with them. Like how people talk to imaginary friends or animals.
    ^ Top  
  23. whitepony Novice

whitepony
    Why so mean? You make me so butthurt I can't even eat my borcsh.
    P.S. Chill out and go fuck your imaginary girlfriend.
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2014
    Irxy, Lunac, thesheeep and 2 others Brofist this.
    ^ Top  
  24. Multiple Sarcasm Arcane

Multiple Sarcasm
    MCA never played Space Rangers 2? First, Arcanum, and now this? Breaking my heart, man. :(

PS: Metro games are a brainless popamole cash-in. Read the Metro 2033 novel and forget anything else based on the setting ever existed. :rpgcodex:
    ^ Top  
  25. MrEvilGuy Educated

MrEvilGuy
    He really should play The Void.
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above links helps us pay the hosting bills)