Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Chris Avellone on Pathfinder: Kingmaker, Kickstarter details at VentureBeat

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Alexander Mishulin; Chris Avellone; Oleg Shpilchevsky; Owlcat Games; Pathfinder: Kingmaker

Pathfinder: Kingmaker newsbits continue to trickle in. Owlcat Games have posted an "interview" with Chris Avellone on the game's Facebook page, which is made up of questions solicited from the community. It starts out with a few general Pathfinder questions, but quickly gets down to the brass tacks of CRPG design. Here's an excerpt:

Why did you choose Kingmaker as the setting for the CRPG? Why the River Kingdoms?

It was the decision made before I came on the project (work had already begun using Kingmaker, and the companions were fleshed out as well – usually biographies and arcs). That said, I don’t have any issues with the setting or the adventure path at all, I think it was a good choice (further confirmed by fan feedback).

I like the Kingmaker adventure path, it makes for an interesting computer role-playing game, the Stolen Lands are a perfect place for building a kingdom from scratch, and even better, the adventure path format gives Owlcat and I “breathing room” to add more narrative and quests without disrupting the classic adventure path itself (for players that know it and love the adventure path, they’ll find plenty of the same characters, areas, and situations, but often with an added element we’ve been able to bring to it on the developer side).

The Kingmaker Adventure Path has its own story. How faithful will the plot of the CRPG be to the AP? Should we prepare for any surprise twists?

Players familiar with the adventure path will be pleased at seeing many of the characters and setting from the pen-and-paper version of Kingmaker, and while there are some changes, I think players will be pleasantly surprised by how these changes complement the existing material – especially the companion interactions and the ways companions interact with some of the elements of the Kingmaker plot.

Outside of the main plotline, will there be plenty of side quests?

Yes – it’s one of the pillars of Pathfinder to reward exploration, and side quests are a large part of that.

Are we going to encounter iconic characters? Maybe even as companions for our party?

Yes, one of the Pathfinder iconic characters, Amiri, can join your party in Pathfinder. She has some of the best lines in the game so far, and it’s no surprise – she’s fun to write for.

Everybody needs a little love, right? Can we have relationships with our companions?

Yes, but not just romance (just romance is limiting). The companions are with you for a reason, and that reason may change based on your actions – for good or for ill, and they’ll pay attention to your behavior and act accordingly.

Being the hero may be fun, but we all know the dark side has cookies. Will there be possibilities to be really, despicably evil?

Yes. And cruel. And cunning. I generally find “smart” evil (ex: talking two enemies into killing each other) to be more fun than demanding more money as a quest reward or being a mass-murderer.

Will our decisions and actions have an impact on the world? Does the story offer replay value, offer different outcomes and endings depending on how we play?

Yes, it’s one of the hallmarks of an RPG, and Kingmaker is no different. We’d like players to play it more than once and get a different experience each time. The companion arcs alone have several options that are shaped throughout the game, and that means the story can change considerably depending on your party composition.

How much creative freedom will we get with quests? Will most of our problems be solved with the sword or will there be alternate, more unorthodox solutions like in tabletop?

Speech and diplomacy (especially in your role in ruling your kingdom) are part of your arsenal, both in the court and on the battlefield. Of course, swordplay is still an option, but you may find other ways to achieve your goals with much different results.

Will companions react to our choices? Let’s say one of our companions is really good, but we keep making evil decisions. Would that companion eventually leave or even betray us?

Yes, alignment clashes (and acting against the principles a companion upholds) would cause them to lose faith in you, leave, or even turn on you. They aren’t simply walking backpacks and stats, they have their own personalities and things they hold dear.
There's also an interview with a couple of Kingmaker's developers over at VentureBeat, which has some details about the upcoming Kickstarter. It'll have a base funding goal of $500,000, with stretch goals for adding classes, companions, quests, areas and also developing the module's "Kingdom system". Interestingly, the interview took place before PaizoCon, and at that point the Kickstarter was planned to start this weekend. LESS T_T has spotted a Thunderclap page for the game, which is set to go off on June 7th. I guess that's the new launch date?

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
18813399_705369372983445_8044821884863268936_n.jpg

lol

DeepOcean

Arcane
Black Thief
White Knight
Dike Paladin
Vagina Mage

Good composition for the Battle of Berkeley level. The dike paladin and vagina mage start with the "Gender confused attack helicopter, Saakesian barrage." and the "Insane bullshit, non-sense shield of virtue signaling.". After the super white super evil nazi orcs make a saving throw and keep marching, they remember they are still women and would get beat the shit out of them and try to make a persuasion check to avoid the fight, but as they have a very low score on persuasion, the white orcs don't feel all that impressed with their "You wouldn't beat women, right? You know... not that we aren't as strong as you guys, we are pretty tough ladies but let's be civilized right?You stay over there and we solve this with a screaming match, okay?"

The persuasion attempt while laughable as it was still made the white evil nazi orcs stop for a minute confused by the ridiculous situation, giving time for the dike paladin and vagina mage to retreat to the back row. "Hey White Knight and Black Thief, you guys move forward while we will keep fighting with our voices in the back!", say the vagina mage, the white knight is a noble man and obey his eternal but never realized love since childhood for the vagina mage and do as she says charging in the middle of the furious orcs.

On the middle of the fight, the white knight realize something, he spent most of his time being a door guard for the vagina mage on Tumblrstan and didn't work out, his strengh is just a pathetic 12 but the white nazi orcs have something like 20 of strengh, he will need help fast so he screams for the Black Thief for help, "Black Thief! I will keep this Deus Vult orcs at bay with my Friendzone Shield of Never Fuck while you backstab them! We need to do some damage fast! You lived all your life on the ghetto, I know you pumped up some iron for beating shopkeepers and taking their money! You strengh score is very good!"...

"Black Thief?"

The heroes keep looking between themselves and seeking the black thief. It is on this moment, they realized the betrayal, they didn't know but the Black Thief secretly belonged to the Tumblrstan West Side Gangsta Thieves Guild and had all along a plan to plunder the camp of our SJW heroes of their valuables while they were distracted fighting.

Unwanted

Wonderdog

Neckbeard Shitlord's alt
The sad thing is he's pimped out for so many kickstarters now that he's making his own game I just don't care any more.

Unwanted

Wonderdog

Neckbeard Shitlord's alt
And if you have to go the diversity angle, at least make them into hideous caricatures more realistic.

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Sounds just as trite and uninspired as the characters concept looks.

Last edited:

Tigranes

Arcane
Players familiar with the adventure path will be pleased at seeing many of the characters and setting

Yes, it’s one of the hallmarks of an RPG, and Kingmaker is no different.

Speech and diplomacy (especially in your role in ruling your kingdom) are part of your arsenal

MCA's magnum opus, the Automated RPG Endorser & PR System, is improving by the day

Fight the good fight to destroy Todd Howard, my man

Rev

Arcane
Why is that elven woman so fuckin' ugly btw? If they're going the BioWare path she'll also likely be the only romance option for straight guys. :lol:

Anyhow, art style and the screenshots both look ugly and painfully generic, some other bits sound interesting and maybe they will actually deliver a good game, but right now there's nothing to make me confident about the quality of this project.

Unwanted

Wonderdog

Neckbeard Shitlord's alt
Why is that elven woman so fuckin' ugly btw? If they're going the BioWare path she'll also likely be the only romance option for straight guys. :lol:

Anyhow, art style and the screenshots both look ugly and painfully generic, some other bits sound interesting and maybe they will actually deliver a good game, but right now there's nothing to make me confident about the quality of this project.

Typical rpg today: Make all the womyn look like shit because muh feminisms. Make entire game about romancing NPCs. Oh muh empowering feminisms!!! A game about romancing pixel are is so fucking important and really brings wombyn to gaming.

Oh well, I guess this is yet another garbage I simply won't bother with.

Iznaliu

Arbiter
RPGCodex is supposed to be the prestigious RPG site that cares about gameplay rather than virtual waifus. What went wrong?

Self-Ejected

Barnabas

Self-Ejected
Patron
Shitposter
Thought I read somewhere that he was sick of working on games with elves and shit

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom