Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Chris Avellone on lessons learned and future plans at RPGamer

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I wanted to remind myself of its level of abrasiveness and compare them, but no such luck. Was it moved again or did it actually get taken down? 'Cuz dem links don't work.

They relaunched their site and changed everything, fixed

Deleted member 7219

On the one hand I can understand how people fall out with other people, or disagree with the management, and feel like they can't change anything - and so they leave. I can sympathise with Chris on that.

On the other, I don't get why he is still complaining so much about Obsidian. It's not as if Obsidian can take it - their existence still hangs in the balance just like it has always done. He will just end up hurting the developers there and the fans who like Obsidian RPGs.

JasonNH

Augur
And good fucking riddance.

Obsidian is such a whoring and balls less game dev studio with its insidious ways; it should die already.

I always wonder what kind of self-loathing a person must be suffering when they wish other people circumstances like failure and unemployment simply because they didn't get what they wanted from them. It's more understandable when companies engage in business practices that erode the entire culture of gaming, but to wish a company to go out of existence simply because they under-perform to your taste? Try hard edginess.

Deleted member 7219

And good fucking riddance.

Obsidian is such a whoring and balls less game dev studio with its insidious ways; it should die already.

I always wonder what kind of self-loathing a person must be suffering when they wish other people circumstances like failure and unemployment simply because they didn't get what they wanted from them. It's more understandable when companies engage in business practices that erode the entire culture of gaming, but to wish a company to go out of existence simply because they under-perform to your taste? Try hard edginess.

This. So much this.

I see so many try hard newfags come here and try to prove their Kodex Kredentials by wishing death on the infidel, death on Obsidian, whatever. It is so boring. So shit.

Back in the day Codexers would be like "Meh, Obsidian. I didn't like NWN2 or KOTOR 2 but they aren't Bethesda so they're ok."

MotB, New Vegas and Alpha Brotocol won them plaudits here and rightly so. Then Pillars of Eternity came out and we got an influx of absolute retards.

It's like these assholes want Bethesda and Bioware to be the only major RPG studios in the industry.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
It's like these assholes want Bethesda and Bioware to be the only major RPG studios in the industry.

Industry sure as hell seems to have been keen on that during the last console generation by effectively splitting into AAAs and indie shovelware. Which tells you when this new influx of gamers got into the hobby. Thankfully, we're seeing a revival of the mid-budget market.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
wishing death on Bethesda is totally warranted though. they're responsible for the decade long decline in RPG making.

Oblivion did more to hurt the genre and the market than any game, any studio, any publisher will ever do ever again.

on a funnier less serious note I remember back in the VD days that VD once banned someone for wishing a meteor would strike in Bethesda HQ, because MrSmileyFaceDude took the post as a literal death threat to his person and family and started whining about codexers.

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
Yeah... I remember those days.

Beth is shit, and I've been routinely let down by Obsidian games, so I don't know which is worse. Probably Beth because of the rape of Fallout.

Can someone post a vid of that movie with Jody foster pleasing those guys and replace the faces with Todd & co. and Vaultboy?

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Oblivion did more to hurt the genre and the market than any game, any studio, any publisher will ever do ever again.

I can't really think of any long-term effect Oblivion had when it came to publisher line-of-thought. No one commissioned a bunch of Oblivion clones, and in fact one of the best console wrpgs uses its engine.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

I can't really think of any long-term effect Oblivion had when it came to publisher line-of-thought. No one commissioned a bunch of Oblivion clones, and in fact one of the best console wrpgs uses its engine.

Yep, this is basically true. He's attributing to Oblivion what games like KOTOR and Mass Effect did. It was Skyrim that had a massive impact, but by that point there was no oldschool RPG genre left to kill.

ArchAngel

Arcane
CD Projekt RED is a bigger player than BioWare these day, btw. And rightfully so, since BioWare games have been terrible for almost a decade now.
So have cpr games. Last good one was TW1, after that they went dick deep into cinematic storytelling combined with twitch popamole action combat (or in short a rolling simulator)

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Funnily enough, every BioWare game I have played, I have finished. Can't really say the same for any other company (except Blizzard I guess, if you do not count difficulty levels in Diablo etc).

Finished TW1 and TW2 multiple times too, although that's like 2 games vs several.

Sentinel

Arcane
CD Projekt RED is a bigger player than BioWare these day, btw. And rightfully so, since BioWare games have been terrible for almost a decade now.
So have cpr games. Last good one was TW1, after that they went dick deep into cinematic storytelling combined with twitch popamole action combat (or in short a rolling simulator)
TW3 has like 3 cutscenes in the entire game. What the fuck are you talking about?

Sentinel

Arcane

ArchAngel

Arcane
TW3 has like 3 cutscenes in the entire game. What the fuck are you talking about?

TW3 put a significant amount of effort into their cinematic dialogues, moreso than TW2 where they had a handful of guys with free time work on em http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...ted-posts-allowed.57009/page-473#post-2428291
So what, is dialogue cutscenes now? Because if so, I have some news about PS:T for you.
And where did I say cutscenes? Those are only part of the cinematic storytelling. The other part is what all AAA (console) RPGs do nowadays and what TW2 did and TW3 did more.

PST does not have that. It has normal conversations not based around cinematic experience.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom