Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Chris Avellone is still pretty mad about Obsidian

laclongquan

Arcane
My post about the obvious conclusion of NCR vs Legion at the Dam is lost in 20 pages of this thread so forgive my reiterations:
1. The Dam is absolutely necessary for NCR agriculture and industry to expand. For Legion, it's a nice thing to have.
2. NCR has invested enough for completed railroad from their heartland up to the vinicity of the Dam. With that, they can transport troops and supply to frontline. Meanwhile, Legion's caravans are still on brahmin back. In planning a war, logistic is a major factor.
3. NCR can produce their own disctinctive weapons and uniforms, which speak volume of their industry. Legion use the prewar costume of US football they scavenge somehwere, not make themselves. Cottage industry if at that.
4. The brutal policies of Legion wont help them in a long war. In a short one, it make people furious.

laclongquan

Arcane
I dont know about Assyrians but I do know about Roman. Basically, the Roman need to have a standing army, one Legion for each province just to keep a boot print on people's face to ensure no revolt. EVEN THEN, they have revolts pretty much constantly, from one corner of empire to another. THAT limit the amount of mobile troops they can spare for a sudden battle.

To keep in topic, that mean Legion have standing army elsewhere they can not spare to reinforce the Dam. Between keeping troops to keep a province in their hand and sending troops to a battle still raging on, which do you think the echelon will choose?

As for atrocity, I will tell you this from our Vietnamese bloodstained history: atrocities make people furious and we keep them fresh in our minds for a long time to come. Plus, what's the upside of collaborate with Legion? just you and maybe your immediate family wont get enslaved and/or impaled then killed, but everyone else. Yeah, great incentive.

DraQ

Arcane
Are we having a discussion here, or are you going to repeat the same things and ignore my arguments?
We'll have our discussion as soon as your arguments stop missing the point.

If any failure that requires meta-knowledge is “random”, then race games, platformers, strategy games, FPS and almost every other genre in existence will be poorly designed because they all require meta-knowledge.
Yes, shit design is not exclusive to cRPGs.
No, it's still shit.

The mastery of a system requires failing, because you obviously can’t know a priori what will be the effects of a particular build in every context.
That is so obvious that I’m embarrass to try to convince someone of this
Yes, it's always embarrassing when you flail so hard that you miss the part where this other person has never actually disagreed with you on this particular point.
:M

The point you’re missing is that it is not the build system that should be mastered, but simply gameplay mechanics - mastering how to play given build rather than memorizing what build to make via trial and error.

You make any build and then you fail and you fail and you fail and you fail. Then you master the mechanics or at least your build. Your failures are your own, not your build's.
Each build has legitimate ways to be played. You're not searching for good builds or good playstyles. You are learning how available builds map onto viable tactics. That's the *point* of cRPGs - the build, along with other player decisions have the power to transform the game. You are not just in for the ride, you have the power to make your own narrative, even if it's limited.

Since player is, at least on the first playthrough, necessarily ignorant of many of your mechanical minutiae, including finer aspects of character building, it's only fair to treat builds as legitimate ways to play the game and player's choice of a build as simply player's declaration of the character they want to play and thus the way they want to play the game - in this case if a build doesn't work, then allowing it is misleading.

Let me get this straight: If players can’t make a successful build without dying many times, then developers shouldn’t require them to die many times. Character builds should express players’ preferences and they should be respected. By that logic, if you can’t make a successful hand on the first time you play poker, bad hands shouldn’t be allowed in the game, because the way you deal your hand should express your preferences and they should be respected. If you can win a game of chess on your first game, then bad movies shouldn’t be allowed in a game of chess, because any player move express a player preference and should be respected.
Apples, oranges.

Short, contentless, abstract, competitive multiplayer game with full information (the last at least in case of Chess) VS a lengthy, content-based, concrete, non-competitive, singleplayer game relying on information hiding.

It's the same calibre of just plain not getting it as trying to play PnP camapaign as if it was a Chess game - with GM usign everything at his disposal to TPK the party.

:retarded:
That should be more than enough to bury your whole line of reasoning to the benefit of all parties involved, but - you know what? - I can still play your retarded little game on your retarded little terms and win - two points:
  • The 'atom' of gameplay and, correspondingly, of learning in your competitive games is the whole game. In cRPGs it's basically the period between reloads. We can be sure of that because there are exceptions to this rule - roguelikes. Funny how, despite your clueless assertions of how savescumming and metagaming are the epitome of monocled challenge, those games go out of their way to preclude both - or maybe you'll next argue that roguelikes are casul crap as opposed to hardcore savescumming? (disgonbgud)
  • Notice the 'information hiding' part. In Chess you know everything there is to know. You are not going to get jumped by a hidden queen or surprised by the way knight moves. There is no way to blame failure or anyone but yourself. In cRPG you know only as much as you are told, and you can't be told enough to make an informed decision during chargen, because that would spoil the whole game. The way to make an inevitably uninformed decision fair is removing failure.
That must be the most asinine thing I ever heard on the whole fuck internet, and that is saying something.
Make it 'wrote' and I'll be inclined to agree.
+M

I already explained this before, but since you insist on ignoring the point, I will repeat: Character building is not just a fixed moment at the beginning of the game, but if it is done properly, it will encompass every single gameplay element. Leveling up, considering whether your THC* will be good enough to beat your opponent
*Tetrahydrocannabinol.

whether you should use a fast attack, how many APs you should use (...) or what type of consumables you should buy in order to beat fight
See my response a few quote-blocks above. If you're not smart enough to figure which one is relevant, then this discussion isn't getting anywhere anyway.

whether you will succeed or not in a skill or stat check
If you unconditionally (with player having no way to mitigate failure) hinge the whole game on a single stat check you're also guilty of shit design.
Easy now, no one said non-shit design was going to be easy.

all these actions are nothing more than a natural extension of the same type of calculus you make in character building. First, you distribute some points to the stats and skills of your character, and then you nurture it as the game progress and your previous choices will decide whether you move on or not.
Guesswork is not calculus and playing the game only to see if you'll need to restart it is not good gameplay.

Of course not, because cRPGs can encompass many different elements from other genres, or maybe there are other genres are stealing stuff from cRPGs?
cRPGs have obviously invented crafting. Before cRPGs people had to rub shit all over their skin to keep warm because they didn't know how to craft clothes or shelter. Ask any archeologist to confirm this factual information.

What matter is whether these things depends of character building and skill/stat points allocation. They do. So you are wrong.
See that response I've mentioned a moment ago, that you are probably not smart enough to find.

The difference is that you can’t choose then and because you can’t choose then, your success in these games doesn’t depend on your choices of stat and skill distributions, but your choices after these previous configurations.
As it should be. Doesn't make any of those genres casul.

No, the epitome of good challenge is never suffering from unforeseen events, because special snowflakes like you don’t want to die. The epitome of challenge is popamole games.
...because for mentally impaired special snowflakes like you every event is unforeseen.
I mean do you even object permanency?

Random events should still be evitable (if a lightning can randomly kill you, consider not standing in the open during thunderstorm) or possible to mitigate (if you randomly have a McGuffin stolen, you should be able to track it down and reclaim it).
At worst you have a legitimate conflict between gameplay and simulation - but what does chargen simulate?
If it's natural development of a random fuck, then you'll need to first roll not to get miscarried, then to not have serious birth defects, then to not die of various causes before you even reach adulthood. Hardcore as fuck.
OTOH if it's development of a character suitable for given adventure, there is no more reason for it to account for abortive builds than there is to account for abortive pregnancies.

On one hand, these things are always expected in the game world. A room filled with beholders is expected in a dungeon. So you can’t complaint that this was a poorly designed challenge. But if you want your party to know beforehand that you had beholders in that room, because this would be shameless popamole handholding.
Only if you hand it to the player on a silver platter.
A good (if easy-sh) example of foreshadowing would be those unexpected statues in wilderness map in BG1 (of all games).
A natural way to foreshadow is scouting ahead, or scrying, etc.

If the trap was never activated, you shouldn’t be able to see it.
But I could still be able to expect it, test for it and prepare for it. Good cRPGs give you multitude of options from which you can try to fashion a solution to the problem ahead - such as expecting lethal traps.

In fact, I don’t believe that this types of tips makes such a difference. Suppose you see a bunch of bodies, you have zero points in traps and low perception. You step right into it and die.
And why would I step into it? Even with low perception I can see the bodies and can make out any obvious causes of death or lack of them if they were non-obvious (of course things like scavengers can do a lot to mislead the player). I know the approximate area of danger and possible kind of it. From there I can try to avoid it entirely, trigger it from distance (summons, standard issue 10' pole) to expend it or study it, apply appropriate protections, backtrack and hire help with appropriate skillset, raise and question one of the dead, manipulate environment to block it and so on. Some of those methods are broadly applicable, some require specific skills, others confer specific risks or costs - the point is that there are many of them and a build won't be capable of blocking them all.

I'm not going to just step into it unless I'm suicidal.

I’m sure that you will still consider this a poorly designed challenge. But it’s your fault that your character didn’t have high perception or the proper skills.
No, it's your fault that your mechanics is shit and doesn't cover options that are obvious even by Bethesda's standards.

Translation: “This game doesn’t reward any sort of reflex or interactions that we would expect from an ACTION GAME. cRPGs doesn’t provide player agency, because your choices are governed by stats and skill points”.
Yes, cPRGs are all about choices that aren't choices and stats replacing challenge.
Ideal cRPG consists of a chargen followed by a screensaver.

That is because you are wrongly equating player agency in cRPGs with player agency in action games. You want to destroy everything that puts cRPGs apart from the rest, because you don’t like cRPGs, even though you think you do.
And you want a chargen followed by a screensaver.

The player agency in cRPGs resolves around civic or combat choices that are governed by allocation of skills and stats.
Player's choices are, by definition, governed by player's choice.
Skills and stats can at best limit available options and change their outcomes - as do all the other circumstances.

However, you think that character building is boring
Quite the opposite, I find it very interesting.
And it's more interesting to discover what you can make with a given build than merely whether it sucks or not.

that players shouldn’t be able to make bad builds, and players shouldn’t suffer from poor allocation of skill points, etc. If we follow this type of thinking while designing a cRPG, then we don’t have any more player agency left.
"Allocate points this way to die" is not player agency in any reasonable meaning of this phrase.

That is the awesome button mentality. The critical path should be accessible to all builds that are good enough.
See above.

But that is because you are assuming that a game world should be a theme park to pander the player’s ego.
How is being a moron rewarding? You obviously have more experience in this area, so maybe I'm missing something.

You want to artificially guarantee that everyone should be well-endowed because you are assuming that the inequalities that results from player’s intelligence in character building is a bad thing by default and shouldn’t allowed. This makes stat and skills completely pointless.
Inequalities that result from player's intelligence only matter if this intelligence is in subnormal range. If you aren't genuinely retarded then making a smart wizard doesn't feel like much of an achievement - it's bloody obvious. So is exploiting loopholes in build system itself. At this point the only thing that still makes the difference is meta-knowledge, AKA having played the game already or read the wiki - the latter being less of a waste of time. Removing these advantages can only help the gameplay. Just being intelligent doesn't make you a psychic (and I'm saying it even though I expected ISIS even back when Bush invaded Iraq).

Because (1) you are assuming that a good system ensures that every build is equally effective (hints: egalitarian prejudices); (2) you don’t care about the challenge involved in making effective builds; (3) you don’t care whether build egalitarianism will discourage gifted players from trying more effective or inovating combinations; (4) you ignore that in complex systems some solutions will be more effective than others; (5) you don’t like cRPGs, character building, etc. To sum up: because you are assuming all the wrong things because you hate cRPGs or you are confusing cRPGs with action games.
1. That's smart use of resources. You make a system so that the builds it supports are diverse, yet effective.
2. There is no challenge in that until subsequent playthroughs, usually not even then (at least as far as SP is concerned).
3. Quite the contrary, it makes non-standard builds less likely to be miserable failures and thus more interesting.
4. That might be inevitable but it doesn't invalidate striving for such a system as preferable direction. OTOH you ignore that complex systems make it more difficult to eliminate all effective solutions for given build.
5. You hate cRPGs or you are confusing cRPGs with screensavers.

By that logic a race track in a race game and the game world in super Mario should be random? Are you going to bite the bullet and accept this absurd conclusion? LOL. Be my guest.
Roguelikes.

Of course he is going to use his own intelligence to make the best builds
Not builds. Again, cRPG is not a screensaver.

because we have severe technological limitations.
That's not technological limitation, it's inherent to the medium.
Let’s remove cities from cRPGs then, because real cities having thousands of citizens
Daggerfall.
and while we are at, let’s remove inventories, because players have a whole storage shed in their asses
I have discussed the benefits of less abstract inventory systems in depth at some point.
Both are genuine technical limitations that can and should be overcome.
Not being able to make intelligent player stupid is not.

I think I'm having a clearer image of what it's at stake. cRPGs are incredibly hard to make, because they encompass different complex systems. Half a dozen understood the combat part of it and the challenge that makes cRPGs tick, but they abandoned game design a long time ago. Others understood the civil part of it, but never understood the importance of challenge. They were popamoles who knew how to provide C&C, but without the punishing part. They took the helms of game design and the result is that character building is useless as an appendix. Now we have a bunch of shallow games that provide the illusion of character building, have shitty combat system, inexistent resource management, pander to player’s ego all the time.
It is a given when the whole history of the genre is cargo cults based on cargo cults.
That's what happens when you can't meaningfully advance the genre because you don't understand it and can't tell its defining traits from limitations to overcome but try to make it "more appealing". It's like plastic surgery performed by a random fuck with a butter knife.

agris

Arcane
Patron
It's like DraQ found the elimage gothic thread and though "i can do better".

80Maxwell08

Arcane
It's like DraQ found the elimage gothic thread and though "i can do better".
But that's always been his gimmick. I remember a post a few years ago where he posted a similar wall of text and someone posted something along the lines of "DraQ's post as seen from space" and photoshopped it onto a picture of earth. I wish I could find that post.

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
If you can't create a 'mechanically bad' character build (a dumb mage, a weak fighter), there's almost no fucking point in a character creation system at all. It's just cosmetics by numbers/ability choices.

:bravo:

A good cRPG accounts for shit like this.

You can take a party of 'bad' builds and have a fucking interesting and enjoyable time.

I would add that you can have enoyable time with restrictions, otherwise, character building is irrelevant.

Last edited:

agris

Arcane
Patron
Taking bets on Grumpy Grognard being MCA's alt or the result of Roguey having a psychotic break while waiting for Netflix to finish buffering and now has dissociative personality disorder.

Sratopotator

Savant
If you unconditionally (with player having no way to mitigate failure) hinge the whole game on a single stat check you're also guilty of shit design.

Imagine a game setting, which would require a specific skill or stat from the player, at some middle-low level. That's one.

You could go with informing the player at char creation that : CONSTITUTION 1-10: Your overall stamina and endurance, blahblablah. If you want to live you probably shouldn't neglect it. It is well known that the world of Adhaira is a deadly place. Harsh deserts and shit. Most people die.
And then killing off the player if he took *4* (5?) or less Constitution, in the first 3 minutes of the game in some cool way.
That's two.

The player could be informed (subtly or not) through the game, that specific actions require extraordinary high levels of some skills and are just fucking deadly dangerous. That's three.

You could just tell the player that the thing he's doing RIGHT NOW is, again, very deadly or dangerous or stuff.
By scaring the shit out of him, giving a dialogue line (if it fits) etc. That's four.

That's 4 shitty ideas in semi-thought out post.
Fuck, shit design is easy! You're right!

hello friend

Arcane
Unless your game is going to have a lot of stat debuffs in it, letting you make a character with a stat below a playable level is a bit pointless. That means you need a new stat system. If no one will ever play through the game with 3 constitution, why not make 5 the hard minimum at char creation? Or make each point count more, make a 1-CON build workable? Straight -X stat debuffs aren't very mechanically exciting anyway.

DraQ

Arcane

Imagine a game setting, which would require a specific skill or stat from the player, at some middle-low level. That's one.

You could go with informing the player at char creation that : CONSTITUTION 1-10: Your overall stamina and endurance, blahblablah. If you want to live you probably shouldn't neglect it. It is well known that the world of Adhaira is a deadly place. Harsh deserts and shit. Most people die.
And then killing off the player if he took *4* (5?) or less Constitution, in the first 3 minutes of the game in some cool way.
That's two.

The player could be informed (subtly or not) through the game, that specific actions require extraordinary high levels of some skills and are just fucking deadly dangerous. That's three.

You could just tell the player that the thing he's doing RIGHT NOW is, again, very deadly or dangerous or stuff.
By scaring the shit out of him, giving a dialogue line (if it fits) etc. That's four.

That's 4 shitty ideas in semi-thought out post.
Fuck, shit design is easy! You're right!
*Player* can always hinge his fate on a single roll.
There is no bypassing that. What sucks is when a dev does it.

Of course your #2 is still retarded.

Sratopotator

Savant
Unless your game is going to have a lot of stat debuffs in it, letting you make a character with a stat below a playable level is a bit pointless. That means you need a new stat system. If no one will ever play through the game with 3 constitution, why not make 5 the hard minimum at char creation? Or make each point count more, make a 1-CON build workable? Straight -X stat debuffs aren't very mechanically exciting anyway.
Yeah, sure. It is a bit pointless, only thing you get in return is a fun gimmick.
But the feeling of choice in cRPGs is often build around gimmicks. One time action-reaction mechanisms, but loads of them, connected to each other.
You still can make a rewarding progression of a stat (5-10), with checks for each variant - if the setting supports it well (like a physically harsh world).
It would work better in already established/known stat system - so the player would be genuinely surprised.

I don't get the approach of 'every stat should be equally important/equally laid out'. Especially if the settings logic makes some stats more crucial than others.
What sucks is when a dev does it.
What do you mean?
When a dev doesn't communicate the dangers well enough? Or when he makes it possible for the player to end up in game-over scenario?
Either it's the player stupidity, or fixable problem with the feedback system.
So the only way stuff like this is bad design per se, is when the dev can't be bothered to implement it in a better way/fix it.

DraQ

Arcane
If you can't create a 'mechanically bad' character build (a dumb mage, a weak fighter), there's almost no fucking point in a character creation system at all. It's just cosmetics by numbers/ability choices.
So basically, people like you and Lurker King see no value in defining mechanics of cRPGs beyond gimmick/pointless annoyance, and yet it is *me* who hates cRPGs.
:hmmm:
Makes sense.

You can take a party of 'bad' builds and have a fucking interesting and enjoyable time.
If the gameworld, the story content and the combat/exploration/interpersonal mechanics are well fleshed out, you can take a party of bloody leprous gnome door-to-door prune-juice salesmen *and the game is still fun*.

Take a party of min/maxed 'good' builds - take a game set in, I dunno, a teen movie - say, Porky's, where the goal is to get laid and get wasted.
Is it fun to roll a party of knucklehead jocks who can biff their way through every situation, and catch the eye of the ladies? It should be, but like the leprous gnome salesmen, the range of encounters they face should prove interesting and challenging.
If they are actual bad builds as opposed to 'bad' builds, then the game being playable with them implies that good builds will face no challenge.
OTOH if good builds face challenge, then bad ones will be non-viable.

The only good way out is to demolish the notion of a bad build as much as possible (turning bad builds into 'bad' builds by trying to make different aspects of character building as orthogonal to each other as possible) and restrict whatever couldn't be demolished (any leftover combinations that just don't make sense and aren't viable - like dumb wizards).

Generally by decoupling the notion of profession (if it even exists - it doesn't in a classless systems) from attributes. Attributes are who you are, profession is what you do. For example "thief" doesn't mean an all around sneaky, agile type that likes to play with daggers. It means someone who steals. You can have an agile one who may be a catburglar or perceptive one being a sneakthief or a charismatic one that's a conman. You can have a forger, a master of disguise or one who specializes in bypassing all sorts of security mechanisms. You can have a thug who intimidates or beats up people and smashes in doors.
A fighter just means combat oriented individual. He doesn't need to be strong, he can use any weapon, armor and style that happens to work well with his stats.
A monk is just a religiously inclined ascete bound with all sorts of vows. He might be a Shaolin type who flips around kung-fuing everything, but he might as well be a Teutonic knight - those were monks too.
And so on.

There is no point to perpetuating this moronic confusion of identity and activity.

Anyway, if you have a gradation of build viability then you get hit by two cutoffs - one for builds that can faceroll everything and one for characters that are simply not viable. To escape this you need to flatten your gradation as much as possible.
Being able to out level any threat and push every build, no matter how sucky, over the faceroll cutoff with sufficient grind is an alternative non-solution that's sadly common.

Thirdly - take a 'well-balanced' party - the classic Tolkien/Dragonlance/Salvatore whatever crew. A fighter, a thief, a mage, a decent fry cook, someone who can change a tyre, blah blah blah. Swiss-army knife party.
In a well-balanced cRPG, there should be significant risks associated with this approach. More commonly, the tradeoff is 'utility vs combat effectiveness' - as that's probably the most effective solution from a design perspective. It can be more interesting than that mechanically - for example, if encounters/systems can split your party - requiring you to adapt without every tool at your disposal.
Yes.

Yeah, sure. It is a bit pointless, only thing you get in return is a fun gimmick.
I'd wager not even hardcore BDSM enthusiasts subscribe to this definition of fun.

This also, reasonably, builds player's expectations - if 3' in you have killed the player for not having the right endurance, they might reasonably expect that 10' in you will crush them for insufficient strength, an hour in it will be insufficient dexterity or intelligence that might be their undoing and towards the end TOO HIGH intelligence stat will result in villain deciding to not take any chances and just kill them while restrained for not adopting sufficiently blank expression during his villainous monologue, instead of tossing them into some cruel but technically escapable Rube-Goldberg contraption.

At this point the most reasonable player's reaction is cutting losses, quitting immediately and repurposing the DVD as a coaster, for all the signs in heaven and on earth point towards the game being irredeemably shit.

But the feeling of choice in cRPGs is often build around gimmicks. One time action-reaction mechanisms, but loads of them, connected to each other.
One time "mechanisms" are usually bad design because they don't scale.
Sure you can sprinkle a few around, but most of the time you should focus on making robust, cohesive mechanics you can reuse over and over for different kinds of situations.
Imagine how bad combat would be if instead of a combat system you'd get an opportunity to stab a guy (given right stats and equipment) in one and only one encounter (and only this particular guy, not one of his comrades), to bash another guy over the head in one other encounter and so on.
I don't get the approach of 'every stat should be equally important/equally laid out'. Especially if the settings logic makes some stats more crucial than others.
Not conforming to this approach makes for obvious dump stats, obvious stats to max-out, and less bang per buck from build system overall, as good builds start to resemble each other.
At which point the game would actually work better if you scrapped RPG elements, and focused on providing interesting gameplay for fixed protagonist - it wouldn't give free ammo to those who say they like cRPGs, but consider all the cRPG elements, like stats that mean something outdated shit.
If you can't help your own side at least don't build convenient strawmen for the opponents.

What sucks is when a dev does it.
What do you mean?
When a dev doesn't communicate the dangers well enough? Or when he makes it possible for the player to end up in game-over scenario?
Either it's the player stupidity, or fixable problem with the feedback system.
So the only way stuff like this is bad design per se, is when the dev can't be bothered to implement it in a better way/fix it.

I don't believe in clear communication - it's a lost cause, you will always get players who get stuck trying to assassinate someone during a masquerade ball because a guard tells them they aren't allowed upstairs.
:hearnoevil:
As long as you've put the information in the game and it can be logically inferred from it what should and shouldn't be done and from player's starting position that there is such information and how to get about finding it, this side is covered.

What I mean is when you effectively put in unavoidable - either because they are scripted to appear on critical path of any questline for given build or because they recur in main flow of game's systems (for example if player can't help exposing himself to instakill criticals during unavoidable combat) - rolls that have significant chance of ending the game or putting it in a badly unrecoverable state.
In an ironman game such rolls mean that even a perfect game has a good chance of needing to be restarted, in a save&reload one they simply mean that player needs to reload until the roll is successful - in neither do the bring anything of value to the game.
Of course, a non-random game-ending check that also cannot be avoided is shitty for the exact same reasons.

This also applies to check-based temptations - optional, but potentially very rewarding actions that may end up just as disastrous (like attempt stealing super powerful item at the risk of game's main city turning permanently hostile on failure). In an ironman game those are simply too risky options to ever take, in a save&reload one they result in reload until successful. Additionally they add to difficulty of balancing game, because player may or may not obtain the object of temptation which may significantly impact further challenge.

That's not to say that temptations can't be good gameplay, but they need ability to discern the probability of success and softer or mitigable failure states - mechanics more involved than single check would also help.

It's worth keeping in mind that ability to reload skews a lot of challenges and in-game punishments in an often unintuitive manner (one of the reasons why some reload disincentive would be a nice thing to have) - for example, if you can reload a TPK is less severe than just giving one party member a nasty disease that doesn't become apparent until a few days later.
Player can just reload on TPK voiding the punishment, but in the latter case they would have to lose several in-game days, possibly filled with good random drops, spectacular criticals and unlikely successes, and may in fact have overwritten their saves several times over already.
In a save and reload system for failure or punishment to be meaningful you need to get player invested in it and they will avoid it at all cost so you'll likely need to be somewhat underhanded about it.

Brancaleone

Liturgist
When it comes to making everyone special and not outshining anyone else, it's like designing a heist movie (or arguably, a superhero campaign), and it's entirely possible.

The (no doubt rage-inducing) example I often cite b/c of popularity is The Crystal Shard by RA Salvatore - each "player character" in the book contributes to the plot's success in their own way using their own specific powers and skill set (or cultural ties), and it's made clear that if even one of them wasn't there, victory would have been anywhere from difficult to impossible (even Regis the halfling). That's how you make everyone special without diminishing everyone else.

The problem is that in a heist movie each character is granted an opportunity to shine by means of plot design and manipulation (i.e. putting each character in a context where he will prove useful), not by autistically 'balancing' each character so that they all project the exact same level of badassery/coolness/usefulness/whatever. And the former is rather more difficult to pull off, at least without devolving into a "Jesus' power of super-carpentry has exactly the same impact plot-wise as Mohammed's power of fire or Khrisna's power of shape-shifting" (which works really well only as a parody).

The obsession with 'every build must be as equally viable as possible' feels to me like a misguided attempt to bypass the aforementioned difficulty, under the delusion that this way any kind of content that is thrown to the party, no matter how poorly/hastily/blandly designed, will not result in some builds feeling useless. The only problem is that this shortcut usually doesn't work either, and it requires to be bypassed with some other gimmick such as 'level trumps everything'.

The way I see it, it's better to invest time in designing content than in designing systems (as TOEE's example ought to have proved already).

DraQ

Arcane
For a derailment, the PST option of ascending to be the Silent King did surprise us when it happen. Ooops?
And what *did* you expect at that point? You couldn't have foreseen the exact detail, but it had this air of finality - whatever would have happened it was certain that you wouldn't get to continue your quest.

Actually MCA said:
When it comes to making everyone special and not outshining anyone else, it's like designing a heist movie (or arguably, a superhero campaign), and it's entirely possible.

The (no doubt rage-inducing) example I often cite b/c of popularity is The Crystal Shard by RA Salvatore - each "player character" in the book contributes to the plot's success in their own way using their own specific powers and skill set (or cultural ties), and it's made clear that if even one of them wasn't there, victory would have been anywhere from difficult to impossible (even Regis the halfling). That's how you make everyone special without diminishing everyone else.

The problem is that in a heist movie each character is granted an opportunity to shine by means of plot design and manipulation (i.e. putting each character in a context where he will prove useful), not by autistically 'balancing' each character so that they all project the exact same level of badassery/coolness/usefulness/whatever. And the former is rather more difficult to pull off, at least without devolving into a "Jesus' power of super-carpentry has exactly the same impact plot-wise as Mohammed's power of fire or Khrisna's power of shape-shifting" (which works really well only as a parody).

The obsession with 'every build must be as equally viable as possible' feels to me like a misguided attempt to bypass the aforementioned difficulty, under the delusion that this way any kind of content that is thrown to the party, no matter how poorly/hastily/blandly designed, will not result in some builds feeling useless. The only problem is that this shortcut usually doesn't work either, and it requires to be bypassed with some other gimmick such as 'level trumps everything'.

The way I see it, it's better to invest time in designing content than in designing systems (as TOEE's example ought to have proved already).
Trying to explicitly balance classes and abilities is an obvious lunacy, with that I can agree.

Well designed abilities or classes are unique - there exists no formula allowing to determine how much subterfuge equals how much raw badass heroism equals how much reality warping magic equals how much ability to sway the others.
Trying to balance different character concepts or abilities in terms of relative power yields flat, artificial and uninteresting design as to do so you first need to force completely different abilities onto a common plane and then forcefully boost and nerf them until they no longer resemble whatever they supposed to stand for .
That said, you absolutely can and should balance them in terms of viability and relative amount and quality of content.

OTOH focusing on content at the expense of system is glaring error. Systems are infinitely reusable, content is one-shot. System actually support the content - if you have thievery and law systems in place, then applying thievery based solution to every context where it is logical amounts to just placing the items that should be there. With well developed systems you lose less time implementing content, get more solutions available by default making viability much less problematic and won't need to resort to dumb crutches like excessive reliance on levels and power curve. Good content is still crucial but with systems in place you can discern where it is actually necessary and where bare systems don't do the trick - well designed systems are force multiplier for content makers.

Brancaleone

Liturgist
OTOH focusing on content at the expense of system is glaring error. Systems are infinitely reusable, content is one-shot. System actually support the content - if you have thievery and law systems in place, then applying thievery based solution to every context where it is logical amounts to just placing the items that should be there. With well developed systems you lose less time implementing content, get more solutions available by default making viability much less problematic and won't need to resort to dumb crutches like excessive reliance on levels and power curve. Good content is still crucial but with systems in place you can discern where it is actually necessary and where bare systems don't do the trick - well designed systems are force multiplier for content makers.

It was never meant to be an absolute statement - "thou shalt devote 100% of your time and resources to content and 0% to the system". My point is actually a quite banal one, and it's that as I see it you can have a game worth playing with a crappy system but great content, while you will never get a game worth playing with a great system but crappy content. So obsessing over the system at the expense of content is a no go for me: after all, you don't play a game just in order to see how a system works, right? Or maybe there are people out there who take accountancy as a hobby, who knows.
All the advantages of a great system, while true, just make the process of creating and implementing content easier/faster/more efficient/with less hiccups, and so on: if all you can do is crappy content, a great system will make it very easy and efficient to implement a yuge lot of crappy content, well done I guess. After all, an RPG system remains an abstraction, and therefore will never be a good fit for all content whatsoever, it does not have magic property of turning lead into gold, and it definitely does not act as a 'force multiplier' for the quality of the content. And it is quite absurd to think that having a percentage based system instead of a flat-number based system can do anything relevant in terms of drastically changing the quality level of a coherent and interesting setting, great dialogs, good encounter design, a plot without holes, and so on.

In other words, thinking that a great system can elevate crappy content is just an autistic delusion.

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Mein Gott guys, DraQ should probably submit a bid to build that great southern wall, because by the looks of this thread, he's pretty good at it.

EDIT: and if someone already made that pun, I am sorry. I don't have the stamina to go through this thread.

Ninjerk

Arcane
Mein Gott guys, DraQ should probably submit a bid to build that great southern wall, because by the looks of this thread, he's pretty good at it.

EDIT: and if someone already made that pun, I am sorry. I don't have the stamina to go through this thread.
Someone else made it about an azrael post in a political thread.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
Azrael could build a wall to keep the entire southern hemisphere away.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom