Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Chris Avellone is still pretty mad about Obsidian

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
Perhaps you can elaborate on this. My impression of PoE was that even maxing essential stats results in pathetic, at most, 30% or so damage boosts, at which point you might as well just balance your stats in the hopes of making most dialogue checks. Even on the Path of the Damned difficulty I had no need of the small benefits one stat gave over the other.

And then you play BG2 and spend two hours rerolling so you can the perfect STR for that 5% increased hit chance and 1 whole damage over a decent 18/88 u got before lmao

Perhaps you can elaborate on this. My impression of PoE was that even maxing essential stats results in pathetic, at most, 30% or so damage boosts, at which point you might as well just balance your stats in the hopes of making most dialogue checks. Even on the Path of the Damned difficulty I had no need of the small benefits one stat gave over the other.

And then you play BG2 and spend two hours rerolling so you can the perfect STR for that 5% increased hit chance and 1 whole damage over a decent 18/88 u got before lmao

In fairness, BG2 very clearly realised (after BG1) that AD&D strength mechanics don't translate well to a computer system where there's no peer-imposed shame mechanic to stop you from rerolling to absurdity. It corrected the issue by providing enough str+ equipment that your front-line classes can quickly get to 19 str (and then improve from there) and balanced around that.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected

In fairness, BG2 very clearly realised (after BG1) that AD&D strength mechanics don't translate well to a computer system where there's no peer-imposed shame mechanic to stop you from rerolling to absurdity. It corrected the issue by providing enough str+ equipment that your front-line classes can quickly get to 19 str (and then improve from there) and balanced around that.
Still beyond lulzy to see complaint of "only" 30% considering what he has no issues with

Delterius

Arcane

And then you play BG2 and spend two hours rerolling so you can the perfect STR for that 5% increased hit chance and 1 whole damage

Across the 18/00 spectrum and the attainable (in BG1) score of 19 there is +3 to hit and +7 to damage. The benefits scale down over time, but as you begin the adventure in either BG1 or IWD they are major. This is more than even Grandmastery proficiency gives you. Likewise for DEX for ranged to hit chance. Much more so for the CON HP bonus or the WIS bonus spells. I'd also argue that as ultimately pointless INT scribe chance is, for someone willing to bite the bullet the game does add something by making you drink Potions of Genius to increase your chances. But that's just for the characters you make, someone like Aerie changes a lot with a casting of Divine Might or Righteous Magic.

No you are dumb.
Describe a good melee wizard build for poe then.
Well, at the time when I played there was still an accuracy attribute that made overkill use of the cool Melf's Minute Meteors with random elements. The game's changed a lot. But I'd assume a melee wizard still focuses on MIG/DEX/INT to make smart use of conjured weapon and defensive spells like Mirror Image, Skins, the Veil and such.

The point I was trying to make is that the games are solid enough as they are. They are just games. The complexity argument is pointless. Unless its about documentation, of which PoE has in spades and is indeed a point in its favor.

most dialogue checks
Who need these "dialog checks", like if PoE have fascinating and interesting plot, setting, dialogs and characters.
PoE's writing was stretched thin and overambitious, but the dialogue checks did add a neat layer of customization. They gave your PC characterization that is sorely lacking in most CRPGs, even in writing wonder kids like Bloodlines (minus the Malkavian run). Plus there are some quests which can be resolved through them, which is already more than in most of the IE games which at best gave you some special boots for having godlike Charisma.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Jesus niggas you fail at maths. The whole point of both the IE-games and PoE is that flat damage increases are very hard to come by. Mastery is really powerful in the IE games even though most increases are a flat +1 to damage. Because these games are not shitty weeaboo crap where you deal thousands of damage.

Hearing someone praise AD&D and complain over the minuteness of a 15% increase... jesus christ

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
Well, at the time when I played there was still an accuracy attribute that made overkill use of the cool Melf's Minute Meteors with random elements. The game's changed a lot. But I'd assume a melee wizard still focuses on MIG/DEX/INT to make smart use of conjured weapon and defensive spells like Mirror Image, Skins, the Veil and such.
Vague as hell and why Int?
The complexity argument is pointless. Unless its about documentation, of which PoE has in spades and is indeed a point in its favor.
maybe people ITT should go and read some of it instead of repeating memes from last year

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
If I ever will play PoE it will be solo on hardest difficulty, Rogue or Ranger. I accept NPC there only for their quest, then I'll kick them out.

Don't have time to read through the whole thread, just someone tell me: has Chris Avellone posted in it?

I guess that depends on what you think the odds are of MCA having a codex alt for when he wants to say shit without harming his career.

BTW I haven't completely ruled out Roguey being a Sawyer alt, despite the update to her sign.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
They seem similar.

Sawyer school of design: cRPGs need to be "balanced"; every build deserves a chance; every roleplaying preference should be supported by the character system; every skill should be useful; every player should feel rewarded.

Vault Dweller school of design: cRPGs need to be balanced; poor builds have no chance; only sensible roleplaying preferences should be supported; skills should be useful only when they are supported by the setting and common sense; only alpha players that master the system should feel rewarded.

Both use the word "balance", but they represent extreme opposite doctrines. The first one is designed for causals who can't get into cRPGs, while the second one is designed for grognards.

Last edited:

Delterius

Arcane
Vague as hell and why Int?

As I said I haven't played in a long time and the weight of attributes may have changed since then.

I don't think there's much of a point in making a melee Wizard that is great at interruptions. Instead, I think we'd be better off using INT to boost the duration of your conjured weapons and spells, DEX to cast them more quickly and MIG to deal more damage. Gimping CON/PER/RES shouldn't be much of a problem for your survivability if your defensive spells come through. My traditional wand waving Wizard could survive (though not tank) with those on PotD. Besides, most of your Accuracy is derived from your character's level anyways.

As I remember it, there were two conjured weapons of note. The early game quarterstaff and the late game lance. Relying on the wiki a bit more, seems like they added another conjured quarterstaff in the expansion. Well, there's no weapon focus or specialization that includes both proficiencies and the late game lance had a blast radius. So I'd be inclined to invest in proficiencies for both with no extra feats to make the Veil any harder, plus the two handed damage bonus.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Respeccing is dirt cheap. Starting with staff-talent and going with another talent later is a non-issue.

I haven't played around with Wizards much myself, but isn't one of the absolute best builds currently a melee one that relies on the superstrong Tenser's Transformation-ish buffs in their catalogue? Some of them lasts for ages.

Come to think of it it's odd I didn't go with that myself, gishes are my fave fam

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom