Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Chris Avellone Interviewed By Gameinformer, Discusses Obsidian Departure

Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Why would anybody wish for that? For all we've seen story- and dialogue-wise Larian can only into "lulz we're so witty".
That would totally ruin the VtM universe!

This is sarcasm right. Everyone in Bloodlines was a goofy caricature.
Not it was not sarcasm, and yes they kinda were caricatures in a way, but with a totally different vibe. Way more "dark, gritty and mature™" than D:OS, with deeper, way more serious undertones.

Zeriel

Arcane
Larian could use their supposedly drug dealing experience (buying side) to bring an edge to a Bloodlines sequel, which as everyone knows was a masterpiece.

Swen is already basically a Toreador vampire, I don't see how it would be a stretch for them at all.

Fairfax

Arcane
Avellone might've been one of the founders, but this doesn't mean he was one of the owners. Or investors, which is an interesting word to keep an eye out for in all Obsidian-related interviews.

He was one of the owners, that's pretty widely available information. It's unclear what happened to his share of the company when he left (but it seems doubtful that he still has it).
He sold it, he has a non-compete with Obsidian and all.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Not it was not sarcasm, and yes they kinda were caricatures in a way, but with a totally different vibe. Way more "dark, gritty and mature™" than D:OS, with deeper, way more serious undertones.

D:OS was an outlier. Look up Dragon Commander's cinematic dialogues.

Hegel

Arcane
Non-compete agreements resulting from the dissociation from a partnership are valid in California, however the restriction must be reasonably defined. Apparently, in the case of MCA neither he nor Obsidian knew what his job was. :lol:

Fairfax

Arcane
he even has a non-compete with Obsidian
Meaning what exactly? He can't start a company to make video games or can't work full time for one? That is some dick move from Obshitians...
He can't start a similar business or work on actual game content (and more stuff I don't know if I can share) within a region specified in the agreement (could be Orange County, for example, but I don't know in this case). I don't know the duration either, but I think 1 year is the limit.
Non-compete clauses are unenforceable in California, with 2 exceptions: trade secrets and business owners/partners. They allow these 2 exceptions because it is believed that competing with the former business would reduce the value of the assets that were sold and sharing trade secrets could do severe harm to said business.
MCA was a partner at Obsidian, so he can't take on any new projects or be hired by any other game dev in OC(or perhaps California) until it expires.

Meaning what exactly? He can't start a company to make video games or can't work full time for one? That is some dick move from Obshitians...
He can't start a similar business or work on actual game content (and more stuff I don't know if I can share) within a region specified in the agreement (could be Orange County, for example, but I don't know in this case). I don't know the duration either, but I think 1 year is the limit.
Non-compete clauses are unenforceable in California, with 2 exceptions: trade secrets and business owners/partners. They allow these 2 exceptions because it is believed that competing with the former business would reduce the value of the assets that were sold and sharing trade secrets could do severe harm to said business.
MCA was a partner at Obsidian, so he can't take on any new projects or be hired by any other game dev in OC(or perhaps California) until it expires.
So that's why they founded inXile New Orleans. :smug:

Fairfax

Arcane
Nah, too much of a hassle just to hire MCA, they could've waited a year if that was the case. He says he can't get a full-time job due to family issues anyway.

Nah, too much of a hassle just to hire MCA, they could've waited a year if that was the case. He says he can't get a full-time job due to family issues anyway.
I know, I know. :negative:

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The PC RPG scene is coming back in a big way – do you have any insight on why this is happening now after years of decline?

I kind of like the phrasing of the first question, I reckon the choice of words might not be entirely coincindental. Pardon my ignorance, but is he member of codex?

Biscotti

Arbiter
Patron
The PC RPG scene is coming back in a big way – do you have any insight on why this is happening now after years of decline?

I kind of like the phrasing of the first question, I reckon the choice of words might not be entirely coincindental. Pardon my ignorance, but is he member of codex?

Fairly certain it's coincidental. The decline of a genre or medium is a pretty widely used term.

hivemind

Why would anybody wish for that? For all we've seen story- and dialogue-wise Larian can only into "lulz we're so witty".
That would totally ruin the VtM universe!

This is sarcasm right. Everyone in Bloodlines was a goofy caricature.
There is a difference between being a goofy caricature that fits the world and "look at me guise I'm so goofy, haha XD, get it?? :--DDD" shit that Larian has showed so far.

And Dragon Commander was trash.

hivemind

actually nevermind

you might be right

Now that I think about it a bit more the writing/characters in DC weren't the worst even tho the game itself was terrible.

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Fairly certain it's coincidental. The decline of a genre or medium is a pretty widely used term.
Why yes, I am aware that it is a common expression, as in 'The Decline an Fall of Practically Everybody' by Will Cuppy, which is definitely worth reading. Here it was just used in quite fitting context. :)

Lord Azlan

Arcane
Patron
Shitposter
Note to myself - his "favorite PC RPG is actually a tie between Fallout 1 and Ultima Underworld, although System Shock 2"

He could be my soul mate - it's very reassuring.

I played Fallout 1 last. Ultima Underworld was the only game I watched someone else play whilst having my dinner - amazing.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom