Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Arcanum Chris Avellone Arcanum LP

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
He probably already has, but he's fucking up the LP on purpose so that the viewers themselves will beg him to stop. Thus he's got a free game he probably didn't have any problems playing (why would you after making crpgs for fucking years) and the will of the people makes his obligation void. At some point he'll probably do the write-up he promised so in the end it'll be win-win.
http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...vellone-arcanum-lp.80476/page-38#post-2698320

m_s0

Arcane
I'm aware of all that. Your point? I wasn't entirely serious, but he did have time to at least try the game out properly, if not finish it.

And by "properly" I don't mean his LP.

Don't think mca would pretend to be retarded just because he's too lazy to finish a LP of a game he's perfectly able to play, with the master plan of getting everyone disgusted to the point of begging him to stop.

Sometimes, the simplest answer is the correct one - he's just fucking terrible.

poetic codex

Augur
^Exactly.

Sea already addressed this a few pages back. Avellone writes/designs games so his perspective is very different from a gamer's. One analogy would be the difference between a professor who treaches music and a musician who plays in the subway for tips. Sure they both deal with music, but the two have two very different conceptions of music. The professor could be a competent but stiff pianist, while the subway player might not know what a diminished seventh or a flatted fifth is, but his music could bring you to tears. It's also possible that the professor doesn't even like to play the piano but just sees it purely as a didactic tool. Same thing with Chris.

Stabwound

Arcane
It's clear he didn't like the game or he would have kept playing it. I mean, that's fine and all, but I wouldn't expect another update ever again, and if there is one, it's going to be done begrudgingly.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Wut? It ended? And here all these years I've been wasting my $ at inns... Seriously though, doesn't pass time not regen health/mana and sleep regen health/mana? You can pass time in cities, but not sleep. I thought this was still in effect, forcing you to spend $ at inns if you want to restore yourself without potions. Or is that just Drogg's patch...
Fatigue restores on rest, health doesn't. Virgil or minor heal make that pretty irrelevant, though.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
No matter how unbalanced people say Harm is, 95% eye shots in Fallout is equally OP, if not more, since only mages can cast harm, but everyone can do aimed shots.
No it's not, not even close. There's a plethora of reasons for that, but it's enough to give just one: in Fallout equal rules apply and you can easily die to a massive critical, especially if you run a character with low EN/no Lifegiver. Did you ever get clicked to death in seconds with harm while playing Arcanum? I thought so.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
No matter how unbalanced people say Harm is, 95% eye shots in Fallout is equally OP, if not more, since only mages can cast harm, but everyone can do aimed shots.
No it's not, not even close. There's a plethora of reasons for that, but it's enough to give just one: in Fallout equal rules apply and you can easily die to a massive critical, especially if you run a character with low EN/no Lifegiver. Did you ever get clicked to death in seconds with harm while playing Arcanum? I thought so.
BULLSHIT. I have never, EVER died from an enemies critical eye shot in Fallout. In fact, once you get the Power Armor the game turns into a cakewalk precisely because all the enemies just do regular attack that rarely get past your armor.

Besides, the point stands that in Arcanum only mages can spam harm to win (and some enemies are immune), while in Fallout it's inevitable that at one point all goddamn builds (except fast-shot) will be going for high aimed eye attacks.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
Apparently you did not play Fallout much, late game enemies often score critical hits that can knock out/kill you, it's nothing uncommon. While harm is just loliwin button that pc can use, much like shitty VATS. And, like I said, it's just the main reason for your claim being completely false. Fallout games at least require some effort and time to build a characters that can score 95% eyeshots from a safe distance and harm is just one of Arcanum's retardedly easy to achieve gamebreakers.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Fallout games at least require some effort and time to build a characters that can score 95% eyeshots from a safe distance
AGAIN, every character in Fallout gravitates towards eye shots, while Harm is a specific magic that you have to make your build around it to be able to beat the game with it.

and harm is just one of Arcanum's retardedly easy to achieve gamebreakers.
Heh, so you admit that "Harm vs. Eye Shots" is tied and has to go for other of Arcanum's issues to defend Fallout. :roll:

But that goes beyond the point, I'm not saying that Arcanum is better than Fallout, I'm just saying that MCA is a hypocrite to say that he never touched the game before because of Harm, and going "Oh, don't get me started on Harm!", all while his own games have similar broken stuff.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
C'mon guys let's not argue which is worse and why. This isn't really helping either game's case.
Surprise: both of their combat isn't that good when put under the monocles.
But that doesn't mean they're super bad games.
They're flawed, yet sum of their parts are enjoyable enough.

There are worse games that don't even have enjoyable parts you slog through and people cried about how beautiful the ending is. Arcanum & Fallout did not fall into that category.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
I just get pissed that MCA sucks down on every popamole shit out there, like "BioShock: Infinite storytelling impressed me", "Fallout 3 is great fun", and yet "Arcanum is broken! Harm, lul".

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
His complaints of harm are valid, but at this point he's just not having fun and really should just stop.

Lhynn

Arcane
It is because only mages can cast harm that it is unbalanced.:rpgcodex:

nah, Chris would rather play bioshock infintie or some popamole... I mean it has ENVIRONMENTAL STORYTELLING.

Actually harm is not even the most cheesiest stuff. stun+backstab + dagger (till backstab training) is way way way more rapey than harm. also costs less stamina.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Today's the one-year anniversary of the greatest LP I've ever watched. :)

Played for approximately 4 hours and 20 minutes. Hasn't touched it since July of last year. Totally having fun, he swears.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
No, he quit as soon as he killed the bandits guarding the bridge out of Shrouded Hills. He could hypothetically go straight to Tarant.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom