Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Arcanum Chris Avellone Arcanum LP

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Chris has been spoiled by modern trees where there's almost always "Wait let's talk about something else/goodbye" options in every node and you don't have to click on multiple lines just to see a shopkeeper's inventory.

Midair

Learned
Arcanum's dialogues are among the few examples in any rpg to actually feel like you are participating in the conversation, because the mutually exclusive, skill dependent paths force you to think about what to say instead of just clicking until you have read everything or been clearly asked to make a choice. That said, it can be frustrating, but I think this just shows that the basic concept of deep dialogue trees has some thorns, rather than a flaw particular to Arcanum.

Doesn't Planescape have "dialogue logic chains"? At least there were certain responses or rewards you could get only by saying the right thing, I thought.

Ninjerk

Arcane
I felt that Arcanum's dialogue was far too loaded and polarized in terms of personality to be enjoyable.

Shadenuat

Arcane
It didn't matter if you sometimes couldn't change your mind on some quest while talking, because you could always show anyone a middle finger by using game mechanics. And quests themselves had alternative outcomes too, with real C&C.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
but in some cases dev listening too much to the fans can fuck up a game too.

Jedi Exile

Arcanum
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong
The more I read about Chris and his eternal torment by Arcanum, the more I feel regret - if I didn't ask that retarded question on Reddit one year ago, this would have never happened. Oh my, what have I done! I watched all his videos as punishment:troll:

a cut of domestic sheep prime

Harm is too powerful, but in order for it to reach it's full potential, you have to specialize in magic by investing in it and not tech repeatedly. Even buying all the Dark Necro spells isn't enough to max it out IIRC. Also, it doesn't work on every creature. It's unbalanced, but more in a "you don't need to actually use many of the other spells you invest in" way, than a "you can pick it and then never buy any other magic spells so it breaks the game" way. However, between all the dark necro spells, jolt, and the light necro spells, a mage can pretty much take on anything in the game. Add to that teleportation for convenience and the ability to unlock almost anything with one spell and I'd say mages are pretty favored overall.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
No matter how unbalanced people say Harm is, 95% eye shots in Fallout is equally OP, if not more, since only mages can cast harm, but everyone can do aimed shots.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
It's difficult to do eye shots with guns if you're playing a character with low perception unless you make a significantly larger investment in small guns/energy weapons. :M

Also downright impossible for those who take the fast shot trait.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Harm gets all the hate because it kills all the challenge in early game for mages, but the fact that you can one-shot enclave patrols and super-mutants with one eye-shot is far more annoying IMHO, as it kills the end game challenge.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Those end-game battles would be super annoying if you couldn't one-shot people since you're facing enemies in larger numbers and plinking back and forth thanks to Fallout's dumb armor system.

Fast shot is unbalanced itself tho'...
As always, Sawyer fixed it in his P&P Fallout adaptation and New Vegas. But unfortunately it was still the same old junk in Van Buren wherein people who would want to take the trait (characters who almost exclusively use burst fire) wouldn't also suffer the penalty (can't make aimed bursts in the first place).

Last edited:
Those end-game battles would be super annoying if you couldn't one-shot people since you're facing enemies in larger numbers and plinking back and forth thanks to Fallout's dumb armor system.

Armor system doesn't have much to do with it. If you'd apply Sawyer's system of applying DR under, rather than over DT, all you'd get is that 0 damage plinking would turn into 3 damage plinking.

Which wouldn't matter because of the real problems: HP inflation (an avarage turbo plasma rifle hit against an Enclave Trooper does the exact same amount of damage as an avarage Magnum one against one of Metzger's goons, namely 15, except that the Enclave trooper has four times the HP), and the fact that AP ammo is broken, meaning that you can't adapt to armored opponents.

Last edited:

m_s0

Arcane
I wonder if Avellone will ever manage to finish the game?
He probably already has, but he's fucking up the LP on purpose so that the viewers themselves will beg him to stop. Thus he's got a free game he probably didn't have any problems playing (why would you after making crpgs for fucking years) and the will of the people makes his obligation void. At some point he'll probably do the write-up he promised so in the end it'll be win-win.

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
I enjoyed in the unpatched game how guards wouldn't let you pass time (sleep) on the streets, you had to go to an Inn and spend money.
Then the patch came out and that ended.

a cut of domestic sheep prime

Wut? It ended? And here all these years I've been wasting my $ at inns... Seriously though, doesn't pass time not regen health/mana and sleep regen health/mana? You can pass time in cities, but not sleep. I thought this was still in effect, forcing you to spend $ at inns if you want to restore yourself without potions. Or is that just Drogg's patch...

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
No, that's still in.
You have to sleep at an Inn or outside of a city or town to regen, but I liked that added element of them waking you after an hour or so and telling you to get a place, that you couldn't sleep on the streets.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom