Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Arcanum Chris Avellone Arcanum LP

Ninjerk

Arcane
I've been watching his LP and that dude really sucks at that game. The episodes where he was fighting those wolves after the crash site and he kept dying, restarting and would not just use the map to travel was torture. He should have taken 5 minutes to to go online and look at hints, frustration avoiding tips, or even glanced through the manual. I can't imagine him actually finishing the game based on his progress so far so I had to just let it go and now I am enjoying watching him struggle and it's about 100x more enjoyable that way.

I'm curious to see him play another game to find out if he is just a lousy player period or if Arcanum is an isolated incident.(doubtful) Having said all that I enjoy his work on the games he's worked on that I've played.

you know what people like you used to do back when honour was in vogue?
euthanasia

In the good old days of eugenics they'd prevent him from breeding.

Endemic

Arcane
Then we wouldn't have Planescape Torment. :p

C'mon, getting that bent out of shape over an LP? I'm not sure Chris even wanted to do it anyway.

Ninjerk

Arcane

C'mon, getting that bent out of shape over an LP? I'm not sure Chris even wanted to do it anyway.

I meant prevent that poster from breeding. This "nocharacter" fellow, I mean.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Not even sure why the fuck he volunteered if he didn't mean to do it.

Endemic

Arcane
I meant prevent that poster from breeding. This "nocharacter" fellow, I mean.

I appreciate you clarifying that, but I'm also referring to the general response in the thread.

Not even sure why the fuck he volunteered if he didn't mean to do it.

Stretch goal? It's not like he's put out a new video even once a week, so to me that suggests he isn't all that interested.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
yeah it's ok MCA. we forgive you if you play New Vegas, Sexout edition with customized tweaks made by LundB

nocharacter

Literate

Not so much bent out of shape, more just frustrating watching it as a competent player. It was surprising how bad at the game he was considering he designs games for a living so I would have thought he would have a pretty good idea how games play.

I just couldn't finish watching even the first one, it's too damn depressing. I mean, when I was a kid, I've beaten NES games which were entirely in Japanese, not knowing any kana, or kanji, or even that they indeed were Japanese games, and not Chinese. For almost any decently designed game (not including board games, and other abstract ones) you can by using trial and error method grasp the mechanics, even if you haven't got manual. It's, I don't know, basic skill of any gamer. Only people who couldn't grasp mechanics of something even after multiple tries (a game, an OS, or some gadget or other) whom I witnessed firsthand were eldery. But MCA is 41, FFS!

So could anybody tell me, have he at least arrived to Tarant already?

So. He just killed the bridge bandits (with his diplomatic character), so he SHOULD reach it next update, but, who am I kidding, he will just wander through the world map and die 10 times to orcs or something like that...
:( Has he at least recruited that half-ogre, Sogg-what's-his-name?

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
So. He just killed the bridge bandits (with his diplomatic character), so he SHOULD reach it next update, but, who am I kidding, he will just wander through the world map and die 10 times to orcs or something like that...
Yeah, but he keeps the best weapons for himself and gives Sogg a rail spike, resulting in a continued number of deaths.

Yeah, but he keeps the best weapons for himself and gives Sogg a rail spike, resulting in a continued number of deaths.
Oh man... Thanks for the answers, bros. I wonder, has he always been that way, or people tend to become popamole in their gaming style at some point in their age, if they continue playing at all.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Oh man... Thanks for the answers, bros. I wonder, has he always been that way, or people tend to become popamole in their gaming style at some point in their age, if they continue playing at all.
I don't think this has much to do with age.

1) Avellone always designed piss easy games himself
2) The last 10 years of video games have been like a psychological experiment to train all gamers to play like idiots

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Iirc MCA's favorite old CRPGs are Wizard's Crown and Eternal Dagger; it shows he used to be able to play challenging and non-handholding games, at least.

So I guess it has to do with what tuluse says.

I don't think this has much to do with age.

1) Avellone always designed piss easy games himself
2) The last 10 years of video games have been like a psychological experiment to train all gamers to play like idiots
Well, granted, he's not a combatfag. But I'm storyfag too, only ten years his junior, and such playstyle is very alien for me. And damn depressing, given that that's MCA, and not some random youtube LPer. I mean, I could understand if someone couldn't play Realms of Arcania without manual and prior knowledge of the ruleset. With its hunger system, combat, deseases and all. But Arcanum?...

With your second point I totally agree. Though it seems less probable that MCA turned popamole by recent games, and more that he may simply doesn't find gaming interesting and treats it only as work.

Johannes

Arcane
When he approaches the Lukan dialog... He's taking it from a mechanical perspective, "which one here is the persuasion option"? That shows a lot of his attitude to playing the game. At first he's kinda deriding the traditional dialogue tree with skill checks mechanics, but then when it doesn't work as simplistically as he first expected, he kinda just gets annoyed and gives up.

Jedi Exile

Arcanum
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Though it seems less probable that MCA turned popamole by recent games, and more that he may simply doesn't find gaming interesting and treats it only as work.

Most likely. Probably Chris doesn't even play games anymore - why should he? He is mostly a writer, and he is very good at it. I wonder if he played/finished Alpha Protocol.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Most likely. Probably Chris doesn't even play games anymore - why should he? He is mostly a writer, and he is very good at it. I wonder if he played/finished Alpha Protocol.
He still plays games, for research if nothing else.

a cut of domestic sheep prime

Well, this lp has once more been abandoned. I'm fine with that. It served its purpose. Avellone has been outed as the popamole larper we all knew him to be. He must now start a modded Skyrim lp, so we can all see to what depths his larping will sink. (Though the first 4 hours will probably consist of him picking out mods, installing them, and then cursing at the computer when they all conflict.)

nocharacter

Literate

Yeah, Sogg Mead Mugg I think his name was. When he tossed him a rail road spike, couldn't figure out the world map or how to use the waypoint button I had to take a break. I'm hoping he redeems himself soon because I was hoping more for some "insider" developer commentary and less fumbling with game systems.

suejak

Arbiter
Patron
Village Idiot
Well, this lp has once more been abandoned. I'm fine with that. It served its purpose. Avellone has been outed as the popamole larper we all knew him to be. He must now start a modded Skyrim lp, so we can all see to what depths his larping will sink. (Though the first 4 hours will probably consist of him picking out mods, installing them, and then cursing at the computer when they all conflict.)
Well, he didn't larp. He just chose a build, then played as though he were the opposite build, and was confused by the interface.

Admittedly, Arcanum is a poorly designed game, but most people are essentially aghast at how much he reminds them of their grandpa trying to find the Internet on his computer.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom