Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Chris Avellone Appreciation Station

mitochondritom

Educated
This seems like as good a place as any to ask (and likely to receive an answer). I was wondering if Chris has ever read Steven Erikson's Malazan: Book of the Fallen series? I am curious because there is a character in the second book (Deadhouse Gates) called Heboric Lighttouch who reminds me of Durance in some ways. They are or were men of faith, described as being ugly and are gruff unapproachable types. I am not saying its a copy, not at all, they are really different characters really, but there was just something about reading this book that made me keep thinking about Durance. I can't imagine I am the only one to have read these books, does anyone agree with me? Oh, I haven't read past the second one yet so don't fucking spoil it all for me.

Fairfax

Arcane
This seems like as good a place as any to ask (and likely to receive an answer). I was wondering if Chris has ever read Steven Erikson's Malazan: Book of the Fallen series? I am curious because there is a character in the second book (Deadhouse Gates) called Heboric Lighttouch who reminds me of Durance in some ways. They are or were men of faith, described as being ugly and are gruff unapproachable types. I am not saying its a copy, not at all, they are really different characters really, but there was just something about reading this book that made me keep thinking about Durance. I can't imagine I am the only one to have read these books, does anyone agree with me? Oh, I haven't read past the second one yet so don't fucking spoil it all for me.
Yeah, he's mentioned it many times:

I’d also love the chance to do “true war” in a fantasy setting a la Black Company and the Malazan Book of the Fallen – both of those series showcase what “war” could be like in a fantasy setting in fascinating ways. The Deadhouse Gates in particular, still haunts me with some of the battles in that book.

As for the Durance comparison, I can ask in the interview (unless he stops by and answers himself, of course).

mitochondritom

Educated
Oh, I haven't read past the second one yet so don't fucking spoil it all for me.

The series only declines from that point. If I could go back I would have stopped after Deadhouse.

Oh, well, that sucks. I have almost finished Deadhouse Gates and was going to borrow the next one from the library next week. I have read that you have to re-read them for it all to come together and given how many and how long they are I might just give up if the next one doesn't really grab me.

As for the Durance comparison, I can ask in the interview (unless he stops by and answers himself, of course).

Ah thanks, that would be cool.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
I don't think Avellona is the kind of person who copies other people's characters, even under the "homage" guise. I think he would find it cheap.

Rivmusique

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I’d also love the chance to do “true war” in a fantasy setting a la Black Company and the Malazan Book of the Fallen – both of those series showcase what “war” could be like in a fantasy setting in fascinating ways. The Deadhouse Gates in particular, still haunts me with some of the battles in that book.

That first major battle of the refugee caravan, where they blow the river crossing :shredder:.

Fairfax

Arcane
Update from MCA:

Text works for me. Just let me know when (I probably won't be able to get to it until Oct, too much to do with System Shock and other stuff, just warning you).

He also suggested asking another writer in the meantime. I noticed Ken Levine had DMs open, so I thought "why not?". So far he's replied with "topic?", so he's at least open to the idea. If he agrees, that should be quite...interesting, to say the least. :M

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
"Novelizing" Planescape Torment is hideously out of touch. The plot only works in the context of RPGs, that was the point of the whole game.

Fairfax

Arcane
"Novelizing" Planescape Torment is hideously out of touch. The plot only works in the context of RPGs, that was the point of the whole game.
It's obviously not as good, but I do think it's still a great story that can stand on its own. Never read the novelization, but I don't see how it can't work.
Not to mention classic CRPGs are not exactly the most accessible thing ever.

Where can I find the fan-made novelization that Avellone's praising?
Here.

Neanderthal

Arcane
It's obviously not as good, but I do think it's still a great story that can stand on its own. Never read the novelization, but I don't see how it can't work.
Not to mention classic CRPGs are not exactly the most accessible thing ever.

TSR novel were fuckin horrendous, near as bad as Gaiders writing.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Fairfax, because it was an exploration of the role of the RPG protagonist and their constantly changing natures within their story. The incarnations of the Nameless One were other "new games" that we start each time we replay an RPG. His being an amnesiac was because when we start a new game the protagonist's memories are "wiped" and s/he begins anew, a new set of skills and stats and personalities etc. The Nameless One finding his "mortality" isn't the point of this narrative :p It was this spiral-like, malleable nature of RPG protagonists being deconstructured and quite literally dissected in a "what if it was actually real?" context. You see how that won't be translated into book form, it's because book protagonists don't have this ever-changing feature. Since the point of TNO wasn't to find his mortality, a book wouldn't have the same punch because that's not the culmination of the narrative. That's only on a surface level, something to give the story an ending.

Last edited:

Plane Escapee

Your friend
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Happy birthday Chris!
May all your quests succeed by right choice of dialogue without use of wheel or compass. May everyone that matters to you stay safe. And may God have no mercy on the souls your enemies :hug:

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
http://swedengamearena.com/conference/

CHRIS AVELLONE
Freelance, working on three projects
Track: Design

Talk: “Cautionary Tales and (More) Design Lessons Learned

This presentation outlines a series of design lessons accumulated through mistake and error (and a little success), all with the intention of helping developers and designers avoid the same mistakes and, hopefully, improve the overall quality of one’s games. From early foundations in school to managing scope on company projects, this presentation runs through a series of topics that may help the workflow and quality of a game you’re working on now. And if there’s something you’re curious about, we’ll fight to leave time for questions as well!

Take Aways:
  1. Managerial development advice (details on managing upwards and downwards in a dev team).
  2. Discussion of good/bad practices for game scoping and how to manage it to improve the quality of the game.
  3. What it’s like to apply design methodologies to a game that’s already designed (the System Shock 1 Reboot will be used as an example, along with other games in my career).
Short bio: Chris started his career at Interplay’s Black Isle Studios division and worked on Planescape: Torment, Fallout 2, the Icewind Dale series, Dark Alliance, Knights of the Old Republic II, Neverwinter Nights 2, Mask of the Betrayer, Alpha Protocol, Fallout: New Vegas, FNV DLC: Dead Money, Old World Blues, Lonesome Road, and South Park. His more recent work includes Wasteland 2, FTL: Advanced Edition, Pillars of Eternity, and Torment: Tides of Numenera. He is currently working on Prey with Arkane Studios, Divinity: Original Sin II by Larian Studios, and is part of the successful Kickstarter reboot of System Shock with Night Dive Studios.

Sweden Game Conference 2016, the international and professional part will take place in Arena Skövde, October 20-21.

David Gaider also will be there and talk about a subject that Codex will be fascinated about.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
And Warren Spector. But they don't say what he'll be talking about...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom