Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Chris Avellone Appreciation Station

Fairfax

Arcane
Sounds a lot like a Dead Space or System Shock type of game rather than the cyberpunk open-world shooter Human Head was making. Could be good, but there's very little info about the game, let alone MCA's role in it.
Definitely not the Lead Writer, though:

Well Dishonored was fun and quite good gameplay wise. And this is by the same developer yes? Seemed to be just generic corridor shooter FPS though, I hope is not a waste of MCA.

Inb4, MCA join Bethesda full-time and working as narrative designer for TES franchise.
:negative:
Dishonoured was developed by both Arkane studios (Lyon, the HQ, and Austin), while this one is made by the Austin office alone.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
This is true. It doesn't mean you need to introduce hierarchy though. You do need to introduce structure and process, but that's not the same thing at all.
But every big srtucture use hierarchy, every - army, government.
Actually you need it, but you can go without it if don'y mund to lose some efficience, or if you can't manage hierarchy right and you know it bring more bad then good to you at least as I see it.

As for Prey - hey, I would be glad to get something like System Shock, maybe it would be motivation to upgrade my PC from 8600 GT lol.

Last edited:

Barbarian

Arcane
Meh, I'm not sure if having writing bits and pieces on the sidelines can actually make a game worthwhile.

Also, a question: What exactly was Avellone's involvement with the Neverwinter Nights 2 OC? Sawyer is listed as lead designer, but I know Avellone participated in some role.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Meh, I'm not sure if having writing bits and pieces on the sidelines can actually make a game worthwhile.

Also, a question: What exactly was Avellone's involvement with the Neverwinter Nights 2 OC? Sawyer is listed as lead designer, but I know Avellone participated in some role.

He wrote all the companions.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
And much like Josh inherited the lead design role, he inherited those character concepts from other people.

Prime Junta

And much like Josh inherited the lead design role, he inherited those character concepts from other people.

Is still shamefur dispray. It ought to be possible to do better with "hippie elf druid," "funny gnome bard" or "tormented tall, dark paladin" concepts than Elanee, Grobnar, or Casavir.

(Grobnar is better than I remembered though. Some of his lines are genuinely funny. Yes, I did another OC playthrough somewhat recently... :oops:)

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA

Is still shamefur dispray. It ought to be possible to do better with "hippie elf druid," "funny gnome bard" or "tormented tall, dark paladin" concepts than Elanee, Grobnar, or Casavir.

(Grobnar is better than I remembered though. Some of his lines are genuinely funny. Yes, I did another OC playthrough somewhat recently... :oops:)

Given the time constraints and the sudden hell of developing this I thought they pulled it off *fairly* well.

Barbarian

Arcane
Well, I'm playing NWN 2 right now. I was first convinced by people here I should give Mask of the Betrayer a try. Later I was convinced by a friend that I should play the OC first for completion's sake, and I am actually going through it. I'm in the start of act 2 now and I'm actually glad I chugged along through the most boring parts of the first act. It is far from a great game, but it is enjoyable enough so far.

As for the npcs, I'm surprised to hear Avellone wrote them. They are basically mostly boring generics. The only one somewhat interesting so far is Qara. I hope at least the other npcs you pick up along the way are more "avellonian".

Was he forced to work with concepts already laid out for him?

Sure, NWN2 turned out surprisingly well (although still pretty shit), all things considered, but there's no denying that the companions, with the possible exception of Ammon Jerro, are all incredibly underwhelming- doubly so when you realize they were written by MCA.

Prime Junta

Barbarian NWN2 OC is enjoyable enough if you just roll through it and, above, all DO NOT THINK ABOUT IT. If you start, you'll start noticing plot holes and general inconsistencies you can drive a battleship through. Sorely tempted to start on that, but I won't.

Prime Junta

It ought to be possible to do better with "hippie elf druid,"

Elanee is unique for being a romance option played intentionally creepy.

Uh... yeah I guess.

It's still poorly executed, even for that. If you snub her politely when she declares her undying love for you, she's like "Eh, okay I guess." That is not how creeps behave when snubbed. Would've expected an Elemental Swarm and Storm of Vengeance at least.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
It was intentionally written that way? Did MCA or JS (or someone else) say that somewhere?

No, but I imagine Avellone doesn't think it's normal, appropriate behavior for an adult woman to secretly leer at a kid while he's bathing and pursue him romantically when he's an adult.

Sizzle

Arcane
It was intentionally written that way? Did MCA or JS (or someone else) say that somewhere?

No, but I imagine Avellone doesn't think it's normal, appropriate behavior for an adult woman to secretly leer at a kid while he's bathing and pursue him romantically when he's an adult.

No, of course not. I just thought that, given his dislike of romances, he might have intentionally made it that way as a subversion and logical conclusion of a "love at first sight" between long living fantasy races.

Given that some people still thought it was sweet, maybe they should have made it even more overt :D

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
you can't beat perverts at their own game, just don't do romances or better, include romantic options that never lead anywhere

Fairfax

Arcane
"Avallone" I wonder if it's intentional? :lol:

Also, his favourite game seems to change every week. He just had an interview about his favourite game and said it was close between Wasteland and System Shock 2, now it's Chrono Trigger. :lol:

Chaotic Neutral. :incline:

Equilibirum would have to be a pretty heavy shooter, interesting pick.

"Codex or Watch?"
"Ooh...different reasons, Codex"

:martini:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
That was the best thing ever.

LESS T_T Where'd you get the link to it?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom