Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Chris Avellone Appreciation Station

Starwars

Arcane
I couldn't imagine myself working at the same place for 15 years (obviously it'd be different for Chris seeing as he was an owner). I've lasted 5 years tops at one workplace and by then I was pretty much ready to kill some of the people there. Especially with the thing Chris talks about where people will expect certain things of you because... that's what you do and always have done.

Prime Junta

He's clearly ripe for the picking. Somebody sit him down with a big jug of cheap Chianti and he will spill. Get on the case Codex.

DosBuster

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Codex USB, 2014
You guys are really obsessed with this, then again, celebrity gossip is a highly profitable industry.

I'm guessing Chris just felt better being able to contribute his creative talents to a wide variety of project across a series of genres without sticking by to experience the hells of game development. His mother, from what we know, is sick so it's understandable he'd want to take care of her. (I may be mis-remembering but I do recall something about family issues.)

It is also a common understanding that the hours you work in the game industry often don't allow many to see their families or even have a separate life until after the game has shipped, and even then that only persists for a short while before you're swept onto the next project.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Interesting that you expect him to have done that, but was skeptical about Sawyer throwing a tantrum demanding the Kickstarter. :M

Was I? I only remember being skeptical of him threatening to quit.

But the reason I say that is because Avellone seems to be on mysterious non-speaking terms with people.

Walden

Savant
"Two things that concern me from a role-playing perspective is...I've always been against players choosing a class [...] I worry that sometimes developers include more classes like that to make the systems more comfortable", "what I've always liked about Fallout was...even though there were suggested archetypes, the way they set up the skill system, you could be a hybrid of any of these things";
tumblr_n6yewnnKx61rx3q30o1_500.gif

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
New interview (I think?) - scroll to the bottom: http://blog.retrokompott.de/interviews-english/

I skimmed through it and it goes into some detail about why he left Obsidian at around the 45 minute mark (yes, more detail :P). Also, some interesting talk about the Troika trio.

All these tell-all podcasts all of a sudden makes you think some NDA ran out. Or maybe he just met a bunch of people who wanted to interview him at these European conventions.

Choice quote: "Swen Vincke is a lot like Brian Fargo."

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
He talks explicitly about "personal issues going on [at Obsidian] at the time" of his leaving in this interview; has he done that before?
False alarm, see Inf's post below.

Also, "They did offer to keep me on for some other future projects, but that just didn't work out. And to be honest, I didn't really want to work on these projects anyway. So I think it all worked out best for everybody."

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Even though the interviewer is kinda asking different questions, the answers have all been basically exactly the same, in exactly the same order as the Digital Dragons talk hahah (at least in the first 10 minutes).

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
He talks explicitly about "personal issues going on [at Obsidian] at the time" of his leaving in this interview; has he done that before?

What he says directly after that suggests that he's talking about his own personal home issues, not a "personal conflict" at Obsidian.

Last edited:

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

What he says directly after that suggests that he's talking about his own personal home issues, not a "personal conflict".

I see, wasn't paying enough attention.

Fairfax

Arcane
Was I? I only remember being skeptical of him threatening to quit.
That's what I was referring to.
But the reason I say that is because Avellone seems to be on mysterious non-speaking terms with people.
And it was a silly theory when I said that a year ago...+M

All these tell-all podcasts all of a sudden makes you think some NDA ran out. Or maybe he just met a bunch of people who wanted to interview him at these European conventions.

Choice quote: "Swen Vincke is a lot like Brian Fargo."
Probably the latter. The last conventions he attended barely had any interviews (can't remember one, actually).

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
So here's a bit of Wasteland-related trivia from that podcast. According to Chris, Michael Stackpole did most of his work on the second half of the game. And what do you know, that's exactly the portion of the game that he decided to novelize for his Wasteland 2 novella. :M

Last edited:

Fairfax

Arcane
Polish Eurogamer wrote a piece about his panel at Digital Dragons. Anyone willing to translate the interesting bits? :M
I think google translates this part well enough?

At a certain stage they started to joke that Avellone became a professional additional objective, which is used to help the Thunder stand out. This kind of popularity not really enjoys it.

- Frankly, I'm tired of it - he says. - Bard's Tale IV is probably the last project, to which I joined in this way. Unless there is something special, I've had enough. I prefer to create a game than to promote them.

Cooperation with Avellone can make the project more prestigious, but there's something that bothers creator.

- My presence on a project where I am treated as a prestigious addition, it can obscure the hard work of people who engage even eighty hours a week to their game really shone. I do not work as much as they, and everyone looks at me. It's not fair.

The human stretch goal is leaving his stretch goal days behind, it would seem.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Polish Eurogamer wrote a piece about his panel at Digital Dragons. Anyone willing to translate the interesting bits? :M

At a certain stage they started to joke that Avellone became a professional additional objective, which is used to help the Thunder stand out. This kind of popularity not really enjoys it.

- Frankly, I'm tired of it - he says. - Bard's Tale IV is probably the last project, to which I joined in this way. Unless there is something special, I've had enough. I prefer to create a game than to promote them.

Cooperation with Avellone can make the project more prestigious, but there's something that bothers creator.

- My presence on a project where I am treated as a prestigious addition, it can obscure the hard work of people who engage even eighty hours a week to their game really shone. I do not work as much as they, and everyone looks at me. It's not fair.

It's about time. Such a waste of talent.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Most of the writing in TTON done by Adam Heine, Colin McComb and Gavin Jurgens-Fyhrie, who MCA calls a "writing powerhouse".
Gavin is awesome and was one of the best additions to the team. He used to work in the Netherlands before moving back to US and joining inXile, coincidentally. I'd say quite a lot (I don't know the percentages) of the writing in the beta (and the game overall) is from Gavin, so I'm glad he's starting to get his due.

Of course there are other writers that contributed a lot - George in particular, obviously, though his focus has been more on area design. But the writing he has done has been consistently nothing short of brilliant.

It's pretty close Fairfax:
At a certain stage they started to joke that Avellone became a professional additional objective, which is used to help the games stand out. This kind of popularity he not really enjoys.

- Frankly, I'm tired of it - he says. - Bard's Tale IV is probably the last project, to which I joined in this way. Unless something special appears, I've had enough. I prefer to create a game than to promote them.

Other interesting things:
I will be available as long as Swen will need me.
There are four major characters in his Wasteland 2 book.

I wonder if Jedi Master Radek manned up and asked about it

I did not. I made my questions under the assumption it's is still too early too ask, and between his speech and my interview I was too tired of excitement to realize I can ask more than I thought previously. BUT! He still gave many interesting things regarding his departure.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
dat site said:
Now, when the creative part of TTON has been nailed down, he admits that he didn't have as much creative freedom as he'd hoped for.

"The license forced certain limitations upon us, we had to adhere to a few conventions related to the Numenera setting."

MONTE COOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOK :rage:

Athelas

Arcane
Looks like the spiritual successor to PS:T is already living up to its namesake by evoking ample amounts of butthurt torment. :cool:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
I don't get it - he's always going on about how much he likes adding his touch to other IPs, working within their limitations. Not as much creative freedom compared to Star Wars? Is this a case of misaligned expectations?

Rev

Arcane

Finally! He was wasting his talent with all that freelancing, doing just small additions to other people's games that didn't really matter in the end.
He can do a lot more and hopefully he's planning on doing his own new game, creating great characters, worlds and stories as he did in Torment and KotOR II (without a publisher that butchers the second half of the game this time).

Fairfax

Arcane
I don't get it - he's always going on about how much he likes adding his touch to other IPs, working within their limitations. Not as much creative freedom compared to Star Wars? Is this a case of misaligned expectations?
He probably expected as much freedom as he had with PS:T. That always seemed unlikely with the Numenera creators involved. WOTC (and even Interplay) never really cared about what he was doing with PS:T back then.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
It's about time. Such a waste of talent.

Finally! He was wasting his talent with all that freelancing, doing just small additions to other people's games that didn't really matter in the end.
He can do a lot more and hopefully he's planning on doing his own new game, creating great characters, worlds and stories as he did in Torment and KotOR II (without a publisher that butchers the second half of the game this time).

I think he's referring strictly to the context of Kickstarter. I'm quite sure that Chris Avellone is doing and will continue to do small things on other people's games. Just not as a human stretch goal on a Kickstarter.

Last edited:

Rev

Arcane
I think he's referring strictly to the context of Kickstarter. I'm quite sure that Chris Avellone is and will continue to do small things on other people's games. Just not as a human stretch goal on a Kickstarter.
That would be disappointing. In the part quoted by Fairfax, by the way, he said something about wanting to make a game rather than promoting them, so maybe there's hope

Inviato dal mio D5803 utilizzando Tapatalk

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom