Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Chris Avellone Appreciation Station

Fairfax

Arcane
The bit about Van Buren and said he played the tabletop version where he says "we'd play the game and then......the other designer would come up with new things", it really sounded like he was going to say the person's name and then changed his mind. There other people playing, of course, so it's hard to say who he was talking about, but considering Sawyer's involvement with it and the other times where he seemed to avoid his name, it felt like he avoided saying Josh Sawyer to me.

He also never said Feargus' name, always "our CEO", though he was happy to refer to Fargo by name. :conspiracy:
But he said that while praising Feargus multiple times.

Wasn't Feargus in charge of Black Isle from its creation? He wasn't the CEO, but he was still the guy in charge.

That's not news, is it? I'm pretty sure I've heard that the aiming reticle was something forced by Sega.

Unlike Infinitron, I didn't get that impression when he was talking about PoE, but I definitely did find strange that he continuously referred to Josh as "our projet director" whenever he talked about New Vegas.

I mean, it's not like there is a surplus of "famous" Josh in that company, whereas there were three Chris amongst the owners!
He also said that during NWN2 IIRC.

Ironmonk

Augur
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015/09/28/chris-avellone-games-he-definitely-wrote/

in this interview for RPS there is this quote:
Pillars Of Eternity: The White March Part 2
ca_ma.jpg

While Avellone has left Obsidian proper, he’s back for the second half of the DLC to write yet another unforgettable NPC. “I like party members who don’t quite fit in… who stand apart… maybe who aren’t the most popular…” explains Avellone, introducing Bunty, a new clown sidekick who spends most of his time giggling in an annoying high pitched voice and regularly poking the main character in the back with a fork.

“Bunty’s narrative role is to deconstruct the world in a subtle yet pointed way, made possible by the fact that as the most coveted RPG designer in the industry right now, I was finally able to get Josh to sign a contract that banned any changes to my work or my vision. Not that I took advantage. That would be very wrong and bad.”

Players can look forward to hiring Bunty in the first town, ready with hilarious zingers like “Ooh, a snowy expansion pack? THAT’S original!” and “Dyrwood? I’ll tell you what’s dire – our pathfinding routines!” It will not be possible to kill or dismiss Bunty.

I guess that pretty much gives away (and confirms) why he really left obsidian.

thoughts?

Fairfax

Arcane
Joke or not, doesn't make this part any less true:

Players can look forward to hiring Bunty in the first town, ready with hilarious zingers like “Ooh, a snowy expansion pack? THAT’S original!” and “Dyrwood? I’ll tell you what’s dire – our pathfinding routines!”

DwarvenFood

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
A sequel to PST would have been shit, developers were exhausted, game didnt sell very well and would have needed to change to something that would sell at the time.

Let PST stand as a quality game on its own.
Yeah it would have been how Fallout 2 ended up becoming.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
https://twitter.com/ChrisAvellone/status/656168865114689536

It's been over two years since the last update and he still keeps bringing it up as if it's something he's actually going to pick up again. Does he even still have his saves? Did he actually go through the effort of backing them up? He played them at work, and I imagine he didn't take off with company-owned equipment.

Latro

Arcane
I really do enjoy how he makes it sound like he's going to sequester himself in a monastery w/ only bread and water as sustenance until he gets past the opening area of Arcanum.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://twitter.com/ChrisAvellone/status/656168865114689536

It's been over two years since the last update and he still keeps bringing it up as if it's something he's actually going to pick up again. Does he even still have his saves? Did he actually go through the effort of backing them up? He played them at work, and I imagine he didn't take off with company-owned equipment.

Actually, I remember him mentioning that he was allowed to take the Arcanum PC home when they wanted to get rid of it at Obsidian (fuck me if I am able to find the quote now... it could be in some podcast or interview), so I guess the possibility is still there.

There is also this (March 2015):

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
What's the most Avellone-compatible origin in Age of Decadence? I'd define "Avellone-compatible" as an origin with heavy support for non-combat skills that also doesn't tempt you with opportunities to be "heroic" and engage in combat.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
He'd have to be more than a project director to crowfund his own project. He'd have to start his own company and hire people, he'd have to be a CEO. Why would you want him to do that?

DavidBVal

4 Dimension Games
Patron
Developer
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Pathfinder: Wrath
Judging by recent interviews he doesn't want to be a project director right now.

Yeah. Well, he's young still, but it's the only way to actually guarantee for himself the freedom to create, for all his career.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom