Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Chris Avellone Appreciation Station

Latro

Arcane
to be fair, sawyer seems like the type to wash up to his elbow after taking a piss

to be fair, sawyer seems like the type to wash up to his elbow after taking a piss

Yeah, but he'd be washing it in his own piss, and then he'd explain to you how in purely logical terms it's less likely to spread germs than if he left his arm unwashed.

You'd respond by asking why he didn't just use water, but he'd point out that the hassle of using the hand basin leads some people to skip washing altogether and he won't stand for systems that encourage degenerate bathroom game play.

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
http://www.designer-notes.com/?p=1040

In this episode, Soren interviews game designer Chris Avellone, who is best known for his work on Fallout 2, Planescape: Torment, Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic 2, Fallout: New Vegas, and Wasteland 2. He is currently working at inXile Entertainment on Torment: Tides of Numenera. They discuss why he owes his career to publisher desperation, howTorment reflects that players only care about themselves, the mystery of how Black Isle lost the D&D license, and why game writing is overrated.

Games Discussed: The Bard’s Tale series, Etrian Odyssey, Dungeons & Dragons,Fallout, Planescape: Torment, Ultima Underworld, the Icewind Dale series, Van Buren,KOTOR 2, Alpha Protocol, Fallout: New Vegas, Pillars of Eternity

https://www.idlethumbs.net/designernotes/episodes/chris-avellone

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
MCA actually talking about PoE starting from around 1:26:30.

Nothing particularly interesting, but at one point it sounds like he's trying to avoid saying Josh's name. >_>

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
I also appreciate Mister Christopher Avéloné. He is a fine specimen, yes sir, not a pure breed, a mongrel of course, but a fine mongrel all the same

weresheeple

Educated
He doesn't even want to be the project lead on an ambitious project like PST again. Not that surprising to have this confirmed by himself.

Athelas

Arcane
Monte Cook personally told Chris to stop sending in P&P modules because they weren't any good.

The Bioware doctors called up Chris because they were afraid Planescape Torment's story was too similar to what they were writing for Baldur's Gate 2.

Obsidian was going to do a PS:T successor, but Fargo already had the Torment license and Chris didn't want to lead another 30-man team on a death march (inb4 butthurt).

He all but spelled out the reason for leaving Obsidian: having both company responsibilities and having to do game design work was too much.

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Monte Cook personally told Chris to stop sending in P&P modules because they weren't any good.

The Bioware doctors called up Chris because they were afraid Planescape Torment's story was too similar to what they were writing for Baldur's Gate 2.

Obsidian was going to do a PS:T successor, but Fargo already had the Torment license and Chris didn't want to lead another 30-man team on a death march (inb4 butthurt).

He all but spelled out the reason for leaving Obsidian: having both company responsibilities and having to do game design work was too much.

You didn't mention the part where he revealed how Brian Fargo accidentally CC'd some Bioware guy about how PS:T was better than Baldur's Gate. :lol:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
How cute, Chris stills refers to Feargus as "our CEO" even when talking about the Interplay days.

MCA also opposes Alpha Protocol's aiming reticle. Confirmed for non-grog

"I like that they brought the Enclave back in FO3" ffs

Last edited:

Fairfax

Arcane
Nice interview, Soren does a good job with the show.

MCA actually talking about PoE starting from around 1:26:30.

Nothing particularly interesting, but at one point it sounds like he's trying to avoid saying Josh's name. >_>
That was odd, I had the same impression, but more than once. It sounded like he avoided saying his name at points talking about Van Buren, NWN2, New Vegas and PoE, tbh.

Lhynn

Arcane
Wasnt aware it was super heroes related stuff what actually got him started. No wonder he registered to adress that in the other thread.

VioletShadow

Sensate
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
On Designer Notes talk
I think at the end of Planescape were were so burnt out, we didn't want to do another one. I think the lead artist blames me to, blames me for to this day 'You could have made it a franchise, Chris' 'But Tim I'm so tired'

:negative::negative::negative:

pippin

A PST franchise would not have survived with the paradigm shifts happening in D&D at the time. I don't think Wizards of the Coast would have allowed an AD&D franchise to continue for a long time.

Lhynn

Arcane
A sequel to PST would have been shit, developers were exhausted, game didnt sell very well and would have needed to change to something that would sell at the time.

Let PST stand as a quality game on its own.

Last edited:

Fairfax

Arcane
A sequel to PST would have been shit, developers were exhausted, game didnt sell very well and the game would have needed to change to something that would at the time.

And Interplay at the time would've forced a PST: Dark Alliance shit for consoles.

Malpercio

Arcane
Chris Avellone is one of the sexiest game developers alive.

Wait, you meant his works!?

Last edited:

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
A sequel to PST would have been shit, developers were exhausted, game didnt sell very well and the game would have needed to change to something that would at the time.

Sometimes things don't need a sequel.. they are just right..

51S7MWB56VL.jpg

Ninjerk

Arcane

Until Activision or Bethesda can get their hands on the IP to modernize and improve it.

Sannom

Augur
How cute, Chris stills refers to Feargus as "our CEO" even when talking about the Interplay days.
Wasn't Feargus in charge of Black Isle from its creation? He wasn't the CEO, but he was still the guy in charge.

MCA also opposes Alpha Protocol's aiming reticle. Confirmed for non-grog
That's not news, is it? I'm pretty sure I've heard that the aiming reticle was something forced by Sega.

That was odd, I had the same impression, but more than once. It sounded like he avoided saying his name at points talking about Van Buren, NWN2, New Vegas and PoE, tbh.
Unlike Infinitron, I didn't get that impression when he was talking about PoE, but I definitely did find strange that he continuously referred to Josh as "our projet director" whenever he talked about New Vegas.

I mean, it's not like there is a surplus of "famous" Josh in that company, whereas there were three Chris amongst the owners!

dukeofwhales

Cipher
He also never said Feargus' name, always "our CEO", though he was happy to refer to Fargo by name. :conspiracy:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom