Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Chris Avellone Appreciation Station

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Well you have to question why he was doing it in the first place, was it because in the company they were tying his hands ?

They made Chris be their convention man, and he toured around the world giving presentations. It seems like they tried to keep him from having much input into their games after a certain point.

The partnership with inXile before the PE KS was beneficial for Obsidian because they got money from inXile for licensing their dialogue tool.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
They probably don't want to release his novel because that involves editing, which means a lot of back and forth communication.

Pretty much. He only submitted 1st draft. In other words, he submitted unfinished drivel that needs a lot of polish. Clearly he's not willing to work on that very much now that he's out, and they don't care much for it either. Catch 22.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
They probably don't want to release his novel because that involves editing, which means a lot of back and forth communication. And since there was a fight when he left, they decided to cut off all communication entirely and pretend he doesn't even exist at this point. Pretending something "bad" doesn't exist is how Obsidian deals with everything. Childish behavior.

Josh did mention Avellone approvingly in a recent interview...

Fairfax

Arcane
The weirdest thing about it is that they literally have the draft for a complete novel sitting around "for a long time", and instead of using it, they ordered a bunch of short stories from the other writers.

They probably don't want to release his novel because that involves editing, which means a lot of back and forth communication.

Pretty much. He only submitted 1st draft. In other words, he submitted unfinished drivel that needs a lot of polish. Clearly he's not willing to work on that very much now that he's out, and they don't care much for it either. Catch 22.
How could they know whether he wants to work on it or not when he's saying he hasn't heard from them in a long time?

They probably don't want to release his novel because that involves editing, which means a lot of back and forth communication. And since there was a fight when he left, they decided to cut off all communication entirely and pretend he doesn't even exist at this point. Pretending something "bad" doesn't exist is how Obsidian deals with everything. Childish behavior.

That's a first since PoE's launch. For some reason they avoided mentioning each other's name since then, and in the panel about PoE's development not only MCA wasn't mentioned, but Josh said everything that was cut was just bad. He backtracked later, but I don't buy it.

Cosmo

Arcane
Project: Eternity

Indeed, i really don't see those guys fighting : not only is Obsidian's corporate policy practically based on cooptation and friendliness, but also look how Avellone's online presence revolves almost entirely around declaring how awesome everyone is...
Remember this is an industry where people are deathly afraid of burning bridges.

Most probable scenario here is Avellone growing more and more frustrated. He's a workaholic, which takes its toll, and not that young anymore, he's seen more than his share of canceled projects, projects where he put a lot of himself as a writer, and finally he sees his company veering towards Sawyer's brand of project managing : rational but sober and terse, and prone to cutting non critical content. I guess he respects Sawyer but didn't find enough room for his creativity under his lead on PoE, so instead of exploding and pointlessly pissing everyone off, he just left.
And Sawyer approving of him is not suprising : compliments don't cost anything and i imagine him being at least a little relieved not to have to manage that behemoth anymore (i say that both in terms of his prestige and the way he works)...

Last edited:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Avellone locks himself in his office for a few weeks, writes a tome worth of character dialogue, prints it out and dumps it on Sawyer's desk for implementation. Sawyer sighs and tells him that they can't possibly put all this into the game; Avellone shrugs.

Then it happens again.

Cosmo

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Avellone locks himself in his office for a few weeks, writes a tome worth of character dialogue, prints it out and dumps it on Sawyer's desk for implementation. Sawyer sighs and tells him that they can't possibly put all this into the game; Avellone shrugs.

Then it happens again.

Now i can't help but wonder if them exchanging positions could have made a better game (and of course this is rhetorical, i already know damn well what you think :lol:)...

Last edited:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Roguey hates Avellone's writting.
No I don't.

Is the man that autistic? I refuse to believe your Sawyeristic lies.

As mentioned earlier in the thread, Ulysess had to be cut because Avellone wrote too much dialogue. Then Durance and Grieving Mother's dialogues had to be cut because they were significantly longer than everyone else's.

Obviously he didn't really lock himself in his office for weeks or actually print them out.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I wonder if there are similar stories from pre-FO:NV games, like Mask of the Betrayer.

Sannom

Augur
- MCA doesn't follow Feargus, Sawyer, Adam Brennecke, Eric Fenstermaker or Brandon Adler;
Two of those, Urquhart and Adler, make sense : they post once every six months, I don't think Avellone realized they were there.

Well you have to question why he was doing it in the first place, was it because in the company they were tying his hands ?
And then it will turn out that Urquhart, noticing Avellone's behavior, asked him "Do you really want to stay at Obsidian?". The same way he told him "Go see a doctor." at the end of Torment's development.

I wonder if there are similar stories from pre-FO:NV games, like Mask of the Betrayer.
Doubtful. That game was also very wordy.

Fairfax

Arcane
- MCA doesn't follow Feargus, Sawyer, Adam Brennecke, Eric Fenstermaker or Brandon Adler;
Two of those, Urquhart and Adler, make sense : they post once every six months, I don't think Avellone realized they were there.
He did know they were there, although you might be right about Adler.
Feargus has mentioned MCA's twitter twice, however. Brennecke several times, and MCA replied. Same for Fenstermaker. Sawyer more often than any of them.

Unwanted

Irenaeus II

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual The Real Fanboy
Your walking around some ruins in poe and by coincidence Sarevok Thaos is there casting spells and sacrificing some dudes.. and then for some reason you decide to follow him because reasons.. welcome to your player motivation up to the end of act 2.

I don't think you decide to follow him at all, I really have no idea what you were supposed to be doing. Sure, you see him obliterate some dudes, but your main goal is still to go to The First Town(tm). Your goal is that though, not your motivation. Your motivation is whatever you picked to tell what's-her-face at the tutorial. Then it gets even weirder in that you have no goal and no motivation from then on, you stumble across plots that you have no tie or interest in and somehow get to Thaos at the end of act 2.

Terrible understanding of the story all around. You pretend the dream with the magic dwarf woman never happened. Liar or retard? You decide.

Unwanted

Irenaeus II

Unwanted
They don't have to release it, they changed the Documentary DVD to some shitty notepad.
Wow. They can't even keep a simple promise.

I'd rather finish watching Chris get his ass raped by Arcanum than read his mailed in POE novella.

I'd rather have both. Arcanum anotated playthrough and Eternity novella by MCA.

Humm... Did he fuck Sawyers wife or what is going on here?

I mean.. the only reason to let this slip under the carpet is to fuck with him. Its literally lost publicity/money for them.

Finally a realistic hypothesis to this whole brouhaha. Roguey damage control is shittier than MSM attacks on Trump. Sawyer almost confirmed for cuck.

Edit: Sorry for triple-posting. I need more coffee.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Feargus has mentioned MCA's twitter twice, however. Brennecke several times, and MCA replied. Same for Fenstermaker. Sawyer more often than any of them.

Surely it makes more sense to do this the other way around: https://twitter.com/search?f=tweets&q=from:chrisavellone @feargus&src=typd

BTW

:M

Fairfax

Arcane

Surely it makes more sense to do this the other way around: https://twitter.com/search?f=tweets&q=from:chrisavellone @feargus&src=typd

BTW

:M

Yes, sure. Sawyer, Brennecke, Fenstermaker. He never mentioned them again after his departure and (most likely) unfollowed them. He still follows Carrie Patel, though. +M

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Reminds me of that scene in The Wire where Royce and Clay Davis are holding each others hands on the courthouse steps with smiles on their faces

Unwanted

Irenaeus II

Unwanted
I can see Fenstermaster (or whatever) behind Éder. They seem alike, or at least Éder is a version of what Fenst(...) would want to be. Interesting that he also contributed to Durance, I'd really love to see what was MCA and what was Fenst(...) and what was the discussion about Durance voice (which is indeed 10/10). If I had to guess, I'd say Fenst(...) wanted the character in more of a comical way and MCA wrote the character with a serious direction and what we have is the final result between the two views.

Reminds me of that scene in The Wire where Royce and Clay Davis are holding each others hands on the courthouse steps with smiles on their faces

No idea what you are talking about, because not everyone watches shows by far-leftists about niggers.

He still follows Carrie Patel, though. +M

He taps that.

No idea what you are talking about, because not everyone watches shows by far-leftists about niggers.

P.S. The Wire was awesome and I can highly recommend it to anyone, maybe excluding only those people who get triggered by seeing black people on TV.

Last edited:
Unwanted

Irenaeus II

Unwanted
large.jpg

Btw, I don't think MCA loves racism as much as cool people do, but I'm willing to forgive this character flaws on account of him being a great writer, superior to Sawyer, Pattel and Fenst(...).

Chateaubryan

Cipher

Funny thing, MCA does, and enjoyed it to the point he wished he could work on it.

He also said the same about GITS: Stand Alone Complex. <3

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom