Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Choose your path to greatness, obscurity or death. A multiple choice LP

m4davis

Scholar
switching to 5

Kipeci

Arcane
1. May as well attempt to warn the people who helped us... though, if we're going by the tropes here we'd almost certainly arrive after all of them got killed.

2. It's been a year, for gods' sake. And the caravan was hit by heavies, which means the hit was specific, not banditry - why in hells would they care for us even if we met them? I'd rather avoid them if we notice them ('alert', remember?), but wasting any more time on this and running into the forest in fright just doesn't make any sense or serve any useful purpose.

newcomer

Learned
Going with Curufwine, 5

@Curufwine
Btw, what are you going to do if the cart looters were in the ruins? Will you continue to the small village whatever its name is, or run straight to Bitak while avoiding being seen for the rest of the journey?

Curufinwe

Learned
Going with Curufwine, 5

@Curufwine
Btw, what are you going to do if the cart looters were in the ruins? Will you continue to the small village whatever its name is, or run straight to Bitak while avoiding being seen for the rest of the journey?

Run to the second set of ruins, then go on as before. There is no way in hell we can take on multiple armored opponents who know how to fight, but I would like to see if those guys are blocking communications only with Tulik or with Qoor too. Because that's what it smells like to me.

newcomer

Learned
There is no way in hell we can take on multiple armored opponents who know how to fight, but I would like to see if those guys are blocking communications only with Tulik or with Qoor too. Because that's what it smells like to me.

If this is true, I regret not taking sneaking-into-city skills, such as climbing... Or maybe there's other ways, such as "borrowing" a soldier's armor & identity card (or whatever method of identity is present in this world) (damn, a dagger / unarmed combat would be useful...)...

Vernydar

Learned
8 votes for proposal n. 5. That's twice the amount of second placed proposal n.2. Very well then, search for tracks another couple of days, then into the forest :)

10 – Into the forest

You decide to keep searching for another couple of days, hoping to find where the attackers went after dealing with the caravan. You manage to find a few traces. You are almost sure they went east, towards the Bearl Peaks. Of course you have no way to know if they actually went there, or if they changed path before reaching them. You must thank your quick mind and how alert you are. You would have never found the minute traces if not for that.

Satisfied that the attacking party did not leave in the directions of the ruins to the south-southeast, you decide to resume your journey towards them. However you think it prudent to travel west for about a day first, and then turning south-southeast. That way you will travel deep into the woods, away from the cart path.

With that route in mind, you start making your way through the woods. The forest is fresh and full of life, unperturbed by the murders that took place just a few kilometers away. The trees are bursting with new leaves, and small game and water are plentiful. After traveling west for one day, you turn south-southeast, hoping you calculated the distances and direction well. You do remember the map, but not perfectly. You think you should make buying a map a priority once you reach Bitak...

The travel is uneventful. You walk 7-8 hours a day, then you prepare your camp and hunt some small game. You also pick up what edible herbs and fruits you find. The forest is generous, and you are not unskilled at surviving in it. You feel quite relaxed, this journey through the peaceful woods has soothed your nerves. You must admit that the sight of that slaughtered caravan had unsettled you.

You are also lucky one day, you find an injured stag with huge antlers. You proceed to kill him immediately. Apart from the abundance of meat that will last you a few days, it is rare to find antlers so well developed. You remember your father telling you that there are some artisans that will pay a decent amount for them. They can be crafted into valuable statuettes, and sometimes small jewelry. You cut them off and tie them to your backpack
(You have gained item: pair of huge antlers)

At last, after another four days of travel in the woods, you reach the ruins south-southeast of Tulik. You must thank your father who taught you orienteering, without that skill you doubt you would have been able to reach it so precisely.

At first, you're not even sure it is those ruins you reached. You just see the remnants of what was once a building in the woods. Then, you start noticing other small walls, and what could have once been a small road. You carefully look around, for a moment the thoughts of whoever slaughtered that caravan is overpowering. But you soon calm down, it's obvious that nobody has been here for a long time, much less a party of heavily armored people with horses.

The small hamlet is completely overrun by vegetation. Trees, bushes and tall grass grow everywhere. You take the few hours of light left to do a rough exploration. This village was once not very different from Tulik. Maybe a bit bigger, around thirty houses or so you'd say. At first glance you are unable to see if there was a particular reason for its abandonment. Most houses are quite ruined, no doubt due to the harsh winters and trees growing everywhere, but a few still have roofs and seem quite stable. You choose one that seems amongst the best, and make your camp there for tonight.

So, what are you going to do here? (semi open choice)
A) Explore this place superficially, see if there's anything interesting and then continue on the route you decided before
B) Explore this place carefully. Look for anything of value or interest, then proceed on the route decided before
C) Other. Make a proposal and put a letter on it.
(Remember, the route you decided before is: from here, head southwest. Cross the river, keep going southwest and stop at the other small ruins. If needed, check the map on post 7 or 8.)

GM's note: I have another question for you. In regards of the calendar, do you prefer:
1) Current style. Do not write down in every post what date is it. Basically, keep it narrative.
2) I give you a precise date. But using our Terran calendar (our days, months... i.e. 3rd of May)
3) I give you a precise date, but make up a new calendar for this world. (i.e. 3rd of Tsalum)
I am asking because it's not essential for the narration, and so I want to know what you guys think before complicating things even more.

Charlie_Brown

Novice
A) Explore this place superficially, see if there's anything interesting and then continue on the route you decided before

and

1) Current style. Do not write down in every post what date is it. Basically, keep it narrative. (good for immersion and it's still fairly accurate as long as people pay attention)

Curufinwe

Learned
B1

for me. Probably it's a waste of time, but we're not in a real hurry. Regarding calendar, as Charlie_Brown said, plus it leaves you a bit more freedom to plan as well.

Urist McLurker

Learned
B We're in no rush. 1 As long as the narrative can keep us mildly informed of roughly when it is(like what we've had so far), I agree it'll be better if you have more freedom.

Stygian Lurker

Liturgist
So, what are you going to do here? (semi open choice)
B)

GM's note: I have another question for you. In regards of the calendar, do you prefer:
Something between 1) and 3). Make a calendar and give us exact date from time to time, when it is important, but keep it mostly narrative. If this is too complicated than I choose 1)

TOME

Cuckmaster General
B1.

This place has been probably searched many many times but since we are in no hurry let's do it anyway.

About the calender thingy; current style is good. No need to know exact date, but if we ever have time sensitive quest then it would be good to know how much time has passed.

Hope you can keep up this pace during summer!

oscar

Arcane
B

Something between 1) and 3). Make a calendar and give us exact date from time to time, when it is important, but keep it mostly narrative. If this is too complicated than I choose1)

Basically as much as our character reasonably knows.

Esquilax

Arcane
We're making good progress so far, so I think I'll be a good sheep and go with everyone else on this one, along with the suggestion that Stygian Lurker had regarding dates.

B1

Kz3r0

Arcane
B 1

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom