Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Choose your path to greatness, obscurity or death. A multiple choice LP

Curufinwe

Learned
Ok. I don't like this. Especially the 'almost cleft in two' body. It takes a damn shard two-hander or inhuman strength or both. We need to find out more. The carnage is old, I don't expect who did this to lay nearby in ambush.
Then, if necessary, we can go back and warn Tulik.

My vote is for 1 as well.

Monty

Arcane
1 Although depending on what we find it is probably worth doing 4 next and heading off the cart path.

Charlie_Brown

Novice
5) Let's cut through the forest, head towards Bitak and reach civilization again ASAP (well something close to civilization).

Urist McLurker

Learned
I'm slightly worried about choice 2.
Clearly they already know about the raids on the carts, right? So what are we warning them of...
I'm not so sure whether to pick 1 or 4. Also, if these raids have been going on for a while, the bandits would have to have a base or camp somewhere nearby, so I'm kind of worried about where they would be.

1 We're in no rush and they won't be returning right? Let's just hope no one comes across us while we're looking around.

Vernydar

Learned
There, I added quite a bit of information about the kingdom of Eskal in the Setting post at the start of the thread. Feel free to read it. It will be more clear I hope once you find or buy a map of the kingdom :)

ScubaV

Prophet

Knowledge is power and the bandits may have left behind some material goods.

newcomer

Learned

But make sure to do it carefully as the bandit might be nearby... Shouldn't be too hard for an alert person I guess?

Hoodoo

It gets passed around.
Im guessing if theres bandits their using the ruins as their base.

5) Scavenge the caravan. Then find/make a good hiding place and light a fire from the wreckage of the caravan and wait.

Maybe the villagers will come to investigate or hopefully the bandits will come to investigate and we can judge what to do from there. If the bandits do come we could have the choice of speaking to them (risky - but could be a nice change for this character) or at least having a reference point to where their base of operations might be. This could let us organise a militia from the village to get rid of them. If nothing happens we can presume its safe and continue on our way.

1. There's no point for anyone who did this to stick around for a year, this isn't the time caravans travel (for ambushers to expect anyone) and a single traveler doesn't make any noise that could attract them from a camp they may have set up in the vicinity. So, let's find out what we can, first (not sure why it would take us a whole day, though), then keep going by our original plan. We're 'alert', we can spot anyone on the path before they spot us, considering they aren't expecting anyone to come this time of year.

Esquilax

Arcane
1)

Examine the cart. Our character is alert, intelligent and perceptive - he'll probably notice details and clues as to what happened that might alert us to dangers up ahead. Losing out one day isn't a big deal and it might pay off big time by letting us know our surroundings a bit better.

Nobody's going to be coming by. The men inside were killed a long time ago.

Hoodoo

It gets passed around.
A year gone by or not. It would be interesting to see if we can draw anything out with a pillar of smoke. The ruins arent far, and if there are bandits waylaying this road, id bet they'd be there.

TOME

Cuckmaster General
1. After that we should follow the original plan.

Vernydar

Learned
Number one wins by a landslide. Investigation it is then.

9 – An investigation on the road

You decide to investigate the site of the ambush, in order to try to discover some more clues.

The caravan was clearly on its way back to Batik, and the more you look at the dead, the more you think they were ambushed. Some of the people seem to have been killed face to face, and considering they were not armed, you think that means they were surrounded. You doubt an unarmed person would try to face off against an armed opponent unless cornered.

More interesting is that the two caravan guards have been hit multiple times from multiple angles. Their leather armor is torn, and you think some of those wounds should have killed them quickly. Yet they have multiple wounds, as if they have been stabbed at the same time by more than one opponent. This makes you think the caravan was outnumbered at least 2 to 1, though of course you could be wrong.

And also there is that body almost cut in two. You look at it well, but whoever did it must have been extremely strong. And using a big weapon, possible of high quality since the cut seems very clean...

You then proceed to inspect the carts. They have been destroyed brutally, and everything of value has been taken away. You notice though that the food has been left here to rot. This is weird, really weird. No matter who attacked this caravan, they should have taken the food. We're in the middle of nowhere, and the caravan was going back in the autumn. Surely some food would have been helpful to the attackers right? So why did they leave it here? Something is not right here....

You decide to try to inspect a wider zone around the caravan. Maybe you can find some useful clues....

It takes a few hours, but eventually you find something very interesting. In a small clearing near the road, hidden by thick bushes, you find traces most likely belonging to the ambushers. Evidently, they attacked the caravan after a rainy day, and the terrain was muddy. Somehow, it must have been hot after that, and the earth solidified and retained their footprints. Not even the snow erased them all, and you find quite a few.

There are two things here that worry you. First, there are quite a few marks of hooves. You think at least four or five beasts, and from their size you think they are horses. This is not common at all in these parts, horses up here are only in the hands of the army.

But the second thing is the true problem. You examine the footprints, and notice how deep they all are, and how well defined and regular. These were not left by leather shoes. No, most definitely not. Though you never saw it in person, you are sure that such deep, regular footprints can only be left by metal boots. You remember the words of your father, as he talked to you about his life in the outer world. Hunters, bandits, scouts, even the army uses leather boots. After all, they are comfortable, an absolute necessity when one has to march for long days. And even more so when it is necessary to cross rough terrain, like around here.

There are only two exceptions to this. Heavy cavalry, and heavy infantry. What could a group of heavy infantry want by coming here and attacking a caravan? This is not normal at all....

What shall you do with this knowledge? (semi-open choice)
1) Go back to Tulik, warn the village of what you saw.
2) Keep following the plan, travel south on the path another day or two, then go to the small ruin
3) Immediately cut west through the forest, then go to the ruins and follow the original plan. Avoid this cart path for now
4) Other. As it's a semi-open choice, make a proposal and put a number on it.

Urist McLurker

Learned
Maybe all of the other attacks have been proper bandits, and these are a warband attacking the kingdom. They could have gone to Tulik for ye pillaging, and if that's the case going back there might spell our doom.
Heading to Bitak(?) would be a better place to warn people about these attacks, it's a bigger place right?

2) I never had interest in Tulik, so warning them seems very counter-productive and rather risky, I don't see why the raiders would still be on the cart path, it seems more likely they'll be in the forest to me, so I vote we stick to the plan.

TOME

Cuckmaster General
I was thinking first 1 but what is the village going to do with that knowledge? If heavy cavalry is going to attack them, there is nothing they can do. So I would say follow the plan and if we ever get to big city then tell someone there about this.

I think we can spot heavy infantry and cavalry before they spot us and I don't think they would be lying and waiting to ambush people in some backwater forest so voting for 2) Keep following the plan.

Charlie_Brown

Novice
I didn't like any of this before, even less now. Going back to Tulik to warn the villagers would be nice, some were kind to Kyoss, but Tulik is an insignificant village in the end. Thus I am going to reiterate:

4) Let's cut through the forest and head straight towards Bitak. Stay clear of the cart path.

Curufinwe

Learned
Hmm. Heavies, here in the forest? I can think of few things that would be more unpractical. They must have had a damn good reason to come here.

5) I think we can afford to spend a day or two to see where the tracks (if more are left) head towards. Did they go east? South? North? West? I don't want to blindly head in the same direction those guys did, at the very least.
After making sure, avoid the cart path, head straight through the woods to the ruins. Unless, that is, that's where the tracks head to. Some old abandoned hamlet would make a pretty good base for a small, heavily armed raiding group.

Monty

Arcane

I like our chances of avoiding heavy cavalry or infantry if we're in a forest. With our forest background and alertness we should hear them before they hear us, and hopefully avoid them easily. And if the forest is thick and they're mounted then there's more chance of them being on the cart path than in the forest.

ScubaV

Prophet
I like 3, but Curufinwe's 5 incorporates that and gives us a lead to work with. We can avoid the attackers if they still lurk in the area and give better information to whomever we might inform later on.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom