Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Choose your path to greatness, obscurity or death. A multiple choice LP

Kipeci

Arcane
1B.

Quetzacoatl

Liturgist
Can you diversify the religions available? A pansy forest god isn't suitable for worship methinks. Vote goes to 1B.

Vernydar

Learned
Can you diversify the religions available? A pansy forest god isn't suitable for worship methinks. Vote goes to 1B.

There are many gods and religions in the world. But, in this backwater kingdom, Adsal is the only one widely worshipped. There's a very good reason for that too, over 90% of the kingdom is heavy forests! Once you start moving to bigger settlements, you may find followers of different gods. Some of them will be out in the open, others... not so much, for a variety of reasons.

Since you specifically asked, I think I can tell you (because your parents told you so, vaguely) that there are small temples dedicated to other gods in the capital. But in Eskal, the "state religion" so to speak is indeed the church of Adsal.

In other news, since all of you voted B for the second choice, I can tell you that you're going to see your first map tonight. I have been drawing it all the afternoon, hope you will like it :) I will also update the setting information once I post this evening. Time to leave the nest, it seems :)

Vernydar

Learned
An overwhelming victory for B1, I am surprised. I thought the first choice would have been a close thing, but oh well. Today you'll have the first map, hope you like it. It took me quite a while to draw it :)

7 – Choosing your first step

You decide to confront that Jay fellow in private, but in an amicable way. You wait the next morning and go meet him in the field where he's building traps for animals. After reaching him, you make your presence known with a friendly greeting. You are most surprised by his reaction.

He jumps up, takes three steps backwards and quickly draws his dagger. He seems very afraid of you, terrified even. After a couple of seconds he speaks with a tense tone: "I... I do not want any trouble. Go away, I won't tell anyone."

Thanks to the fact you are so composed, you manage to keep a straight face, and calmly ask him what he means.

"I know. I know what you did, I know that you killed your parents. I'm not going to tell anyone, they would not believe me. Just go away, I don't want any trouble."

You are so surprised at his accusation that for a second you almost drop your calm expression. But you manage to avoid that, and tell him calmly but firmly that you have no idea of what he's talking about.

"You lie, I know you killed them. The Green Plague? Impossible, your parents were very experienced and knew all the symptoms for that. They taught about the plague to the villagers! They would not have missed the symptoms on a diseased animal. So, your story is a lie and you killed them. But I do not want any problem, just leave me alone." That said, he turns and runs away.

You are still reeling from this confrontation, but you remember you have an appointment with the village chief in order to plan for your journey. You reach his home, and are quickly invited inside. The village chief asks once more if you are truly convinced to leave, but after hearing your firm answer, he relents.

"You really resemble your father, he too would not budge about his journey. Very well, I will do what I can. I have noticed you do not have a lantern, and that can be useful at night when it rains. Here, have mine, it also has four flasks of oil. Come, let us take a look at the map, I cannot give it to you since I only have one copy but I want you to know what is ahead of you."
(You have gained items: Lantern, 4 flasks of oil)
(This is the map. It's big, I suggest you download the full size file on your pc. Follow the link and save it.)

zBInn.jpg

You ask the village chief about the various geographical landmarks you may encounter on your journey.

You can see on the map that the entire territory nearby and down south is mainly thick forest, with a couple of smaller mountain ranges. The peaks of Berl and Zans are not as high and harsh as the Wulan Mountains, but still are not to be understimated. The village chief assures you that they are inhabited by many dangerous animals, and hard to cross. You should probably avoid them if at all possible.

As for the rivers, there are many, but all of them should be easy to cross for the entire spring. Here, near the mountains, they are very wide but not deep. It is only in the summer, when the snow of the Wulan Mountains melts, that crossing them becomes very hard indeed.

As for your destination, the village chief suggests you go to Bitak. It's the closest biggest settlement, and from Bitak a paved road leads to the other important settlements of the kingdom. There is a cart path leading there, about 500 km of hard march, you should be able to make it in 20 days or so. But you remember the warning of the villagers about the road being not so safe. Maybe you could consider other paths as well.....

You ask about the small hamlets of Qoor and Pojis. The chief suggest you do not go there unless in case of emergency. They are out of the way, and more or less the size of Tulik. They probably have nothing to offer you. Still, the road is dangerous and who knows what might happen. The chief assures you those hamlet are inhabited by good people, willing to help if needed.

Finally you ask about the ruins you see on the map. The small ruins south of Tulik are hamlets abandoned in the last 50 years or so, while the small city of Giwil to the east was destroyed in a war a couple of centuries ago, and abandoned as it was too far from other settlements.

As for the ruins of Avarlos....
"Young Kyoss, the ruins of the Great City of Avarlos have stood there for a long, long time. It is said that at least a thousand years before the Kingdom of Eskal was created, Avarlos reigned over every place a man riding on a fast horse could reach in six months. But then the city of Avarlos was destroyed. The legend says mighty Avarlos fell in a single night, while others insist that it fell in a minute, at the stroke of midnight. I understand your desire for adventure, but not even the king's army braves the streets of what once was Avarlos..."

And so, you thanks the chief, and think about what to do.

Where are you going to do, young Kyoss?
This is an open update, you can do whatever you want. You can stay here, or you can leave for any place you want. Please, as for the semi-open updates, if you make a proposal put a number on it so I can count better.

Please note, if you vote for leaving Tulik I would like a complete path. Not just, go to the small ruin south for example, but something more. And some details too, like, traveling at night, or keeping out of sight from the road or anything else. Then, if events make you change your path, so be it, but it would help my planning to have at least an idea of what you want to do for a while.

This vote will last at least a day, but if by tomorrow evening there's no general agreement I will leave it open for more. I am also going to update the setting post at the start of the thread in the next few hours. You will have some more info on the kingdom, but nothing that should influence this particular decision.

m4davis

Scholar
follow the road then when your close to the nearest ruins go there go back to the road continue past the river Volay and go to Bitak

Curufinwe

Learned
Hmm, let's see. My proposal:

2) I vote to leave immediately, no point in staying here further. As for the path... I think we should follow the cart path until we're straight north of the nearest ruins. Then cut through the forest to there, never know what kind of supplies we might find. From there, head straight to the ruins to the southwest, cross the river to Qoor and the cart path from there to Bitak. This will give us a mixed experience of cart path-forest-river crossing-ruins to prepare us for a variety of situations.

The bigger ruins are a big no-no, and the mountains are a bit useless.

I have spoken.

newcomer

Learned
May I know:

1. What is the season now? How many weeks will it take to change to summer?
2. Does moving in the forest takes more time? if yes, can you give a rough estimate (example: if the cart path is not there at all & we follow strictly the cart path, we'll reach Bitak in 40 days instead of 20, with a small chance of getting lost)

Curufwine's choice is tempting, but our guy cannot swim :(
It's dangerous if the season changes suddenly

Monty

Arcane
2): Flip-flopping to Crufinwe's plan. I thought it would be easier to ford the rivers on the remains of the cart path but if this is not the case then we may as well visit the other ruins and village. If we find anything in the ruins hopefully we can sell it in Bitak where they probably have better stores and armourers.

Unwanted

Kalin

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
You need to get your priorities straight!

First on the agenda: turn on the charm and fornicate with the "rather young" girl from the previous update.

Then, and only then, should a path be considered.

Curufinwe

Learned
I think we'll make it before the floods, so rivers shouldn't be a big issue. Besides, the second river crossing would be right next to Qoor, we should find a way with the help of the villagers (yelling 'Ho, Qoor guys! I want to cross!' should be enough) even if we can't swim. And it's the one that might come with increased water flow.

Vernydar

Learned
May I know:

1. What is the season now? How many weeks will it take to change to summer?
2. Does moving in the forest takes more time? if yes, can you give a rough estimate (example: if the cart path is not there at all & we follow strictly the cart path, we'll reach Bitak in 40 days instead of 20, with a small chance of getting lost)

Curufwine's choice is tempting, but our guy cannot swim :(
It's dangerous if the season changes suddenly

It is the first week of spring, I think I wrote it where you left the farm but maybe I was not clear. There's at least 11 weeks before summer. That's two months and a half, or if you prefer almost 80 days. Yes, travel in the forest is slower, but not THAT much. If you can do about 25 km a day on the cart path, you are most likely going to do 17-18 km in the forest. About 2/3 of the speed on a cart path. It would be different if it were a paved road, but this cart path is slightly more than a piece of forest where bushes have been cut off.... Of course Curufinwe's proposal is a longer distance to cover, so it's going to take more, but you should still be finished well before summer.

That is, if everything goes fine, but that is true everywhere.

Kyoss cannot swim, but the village chief said that before summer crossing all these river should be possible without swimming. Of course, you can never be absolutely sure, only I know.

EDIT to Monty: that was a typo, the name on the map is correct
Just to make clear, there are NO bridges up here. You have to cross anyway. The only difference is that the cart paths are in places where the river is usually low. There were bridges once, if you look carefully you can see the broken bridges on the rivers near the east border of the map

newcomer

Learned
Thanks for the clarification :)

Then I'll follow Curufwine's choice (2). You'll never know what kinds of skills you will need after all.. The distance also seems to be quite OK (my estimates is ~40-50 days assuming no obstacle)'

EDIT: And +1 to procreation (a.k.a leaving a baby) :incline:

oscar

Arcane
Make sure to leave that friendly girl with a reminder of us :smug:

Travel along the road, during the day time. If we bump into a caravan or anything heading to Bitak, join up with them for collective security.

Urist McLurker

Learned
Hmm, let's see. My proposal:

2) I vote to leave immediately, no point in staying here further. As for the path... I think we should follow the cart path until we're straight north of the nearest ruins. Then cut through the forest to there, never know what kind of supplies we might find. From there, head straight to the ruins to the southwest, cross the river to Qoor and the cart path from there to Bitak. This will give us a mixed experience of cart path-forest-river crossing-ruins to prepare us for a variety of situations.

The bigger ruins are a big no-no, and the mountains are a bit useless.

I have spoken.
Perhaps I am too lazy to come up with my own idea, but it seems to me that Curufinwe has a solid suggestion, count myself as voting for that.

m4davis

Scholar
switching to Curufinwe's suggestion because its much more in detail then my own

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom